Start by marking “Blood on the Mink (Hard Case Crime #106)” as Want to Read:
Blood on the Mink (Hard Case Crime #106)

Blood on the Mink (Hard Case Crime #106)

Somewhere in Philadelphia, a master engraver is turning out brilliant forgeries of U.S. currency plates for an organized crime gang - and the government wants to put a stop to it. But how can they get close enough to bring down the criminal enterprise from the inside?

By snatching a west coast crime boss' right-hand man and sending a federal agent undercover in the man's p
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Blood on the Mink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood on the Mink

Dan Schwent
A secret agent takes the place of hoodlum Vic Lowney and hits Philadelphia with one goal: taking down a counterfeiting ring. It would be dangerous enough without the counterfeiter's mistress making him a proposition of her own...

I have a confession to make. While I am a sf/fantasy fan from way back, I have somehow managed to avoid reading Robert Silverberg until now. If his usual fare is as good as the detective stories he wrote to pay the bills when the sf market was tanking, I'll have to give
James Thane
Originally published in 1962, this brief novel has been reissued as part of the Hard Case Crime series. The book also includes an afterword and a couple of short stories, all written by the book's author, Robert Silverberg.

A crime syndicate in Philadelphia is holding as prisoner a master engraver who is turning out nearly perfect copies of U.S. currency. As anyone would suspect, the Treasury Department is not happy about this. When Vic Lowney, a member of the L.A. syndicate is traveling to meet
Josh
Blood on the Mink comprises the full length lost classic novel, 'Blood on the Mink', an afterword by author Robert Silverberg, and two short stories previously published in the pulp magazines of yesteryear in 'Dangerous Doll' and 'One Night of Violence'. As a package, this book is dynamite – chock full of noir pulpy goodness from an author not traditionally renowned for his noir prowess (mainly Sci-Fi).

I was pleasantly surprised by ‘Blood on the Mink’ and the two short stories – each gripping a
Иван Величков
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: Кримки
Всеки запознат поне малко с фантастичния жанр знае кой е Робърт Силвърбърг. Предполагам обаче, че не всеки знае, че той се е изхранвал в продължение на години с писане на разкази за десетки списания. Някой от тях чисто порно, някой умерена еротика и приключения, естествено фантастични и, да си дойдем на думата, криминални.
„Кръв по визона“ е новела, писана когато е бил на 23 години, след което публикувана в умиращо криминално списание и напълно забравена.
Точно тук идват вещите в подборката хора н
Greg
BOOK TWELVE: My "Mid-20th Century American Crime" Readathon
I jump here from Gore Vidal's 1953 "Thieves Fall Out" to this 1962 publication.
HOOK=5 stars: An original opening page: our unnamed hero is to impersonate a character getting off a plane for a short layover. I often read just the first page or two at the library and if it's a good opener, I check it out. And even the back of the book a blurb reads, "Unavailable for half a century and never before published in book form" added to the attra
Allison
I picked up Blood on the Mink yesterday because it was cheap and I wanted something to read in a coffee shop before I went out for dinner, so I did not expect a lot from it aside from some bloody deaths and a plot too complex by five or six points on an outline. I did, luckily, get what I expected, but it was excellently done. This is about an undercover agent trying to bust a counterfeiting ring, and I'm sure that in a month, I'll struggle to bring up the specifics of the story. Still, I had fu ...more
Rob Smith, Jr.
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Three stories in one!

The first novel length story is a standard story of counterfeiters and the good guys out to thwart them. The story is well written with a nicely done complex web weaved by the good guy to catch a bunch of bad guys. The ladies involved are standard for a pulp tale. As is what happens to them. Overall a story to read during a rainy day.

The second tale is a throw away story. Obviously pure filler. Another counterfeiter tale of money and people. Fine to read this after the read
John
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published for a pulp magazine back in the 50s, Hard Case convinced Robert Silverberg to re-release this standard caper full of sex, violence and triple crosses.

Nick is a federal agent who specializes in going undercover. He infiltrates a Philadelphia racket that is spreading high-quality funny money. Things get complicated when rivals from New York and California move in, and the Philly boss's main squeeze sees a way out.

It's a short novel - only 157 pages - but it packs a punch. Hard
Dave
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-case-crime
Blood on the Mink is a terrific pulp tale that fits well within the genre in the late fifties. It has gangsters and dames and shoot-outs and undercover agents. And, most importantly, it's a damn good story that is worth reading.

The story is about a Treasury agent whose job is to go undercover and infiltrate various criminal organizations that are out to counterfeit the U.S. currency. He goes from city to city pulling off this act and, as a consequence, has no home and no family for how could one
Dominick
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Early, lesser Silverberg. Silverberg didn't really start firing on all cylinders until the mid to late 1960s, and this was published in 1962 (and written two years earlier). it's also a crime story, not what he is best known for, and with good reason. It is a competent enough, short narrative of an undercover agent trying to crack a counterfeiting ring. There's lots of violence, lots of tough guy patter, some sex, and a fair degree of technical competence, but not much in the way of spark. Silve ...more
Downward
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
this is a really tightly structured series of doublecrosses and triplecrosses, that, like most good crime novels, blurs the line between the good guys and the bad guys through corruption and violence. despite its title, it's a little short on the femme fatale aspect (which is fine, maybe even preferred considering the overuse and implications of that trope) but indulges in plenty of other crime novel standards: fast talking, hard drinking, gun fighting, etc.

our 'hero' is a law enforcement offic
Samantha Glasser
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulps, fiction
Blood on the Mink is the story of a government agent impersonating gangster Vic Lowney who is involved with a counterfeiting racket. He meets with men on the east coast who have a currency engraver in their custody who churn out very believable five and ten dollar bills. "Lowney"'s attitude and arrogance don't sit well with his associates, and a friend of the real Lowney and a gangster looking to get into the counterfeiting scheme throw further wrenches into the plot, making for a complicated an ...more
Patrick Hayes
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic crime novel of a man "with no name" who is hired to impersonate a Californian gangster in Philadelphia who must stop an engraving plot by other gangsters. The situation soon gets out of control as other individuals contact him, wanting to get their hands on the plates and the money it produces. Perfect dialogue, perfect action, perfect ending. This is how crime is written!

There's an afterward by author Robert Silverberg that was very interesting, letting the reader know the history of
Craig Childs
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some Hard Case Crime books are great on their own merit; others are unique because of who wrote them. This is an early crime story written in 1959 by Robert Silverberg, who would go on to much fame and acclaim as a science fiction writer.

Despite being a little rough around the edges, this story was highly enjoyable: fast paced with a sleek, almost-plausible plot that reels you in from the first pages. The people felt like stock characters from a Crime Noir 101 textbook, but that was ok.

Much li
Roger
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Robert Silverberg is an award winning Science fiction writer and SFWA (Science Fiction Writers of America) Grand Master. He is also I think, a very gracious gentleman. Blood on the Mink is definitely not the type of work Silverberg is known for-it is strictly guns and gangland. Over five decades later and this story still holds up-you are more likely to notice what is not there (cellphones for instance) than what is. The story is solid and features a dangerous masquerade and a lot of double and ...more
Benjamin
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Robert Silverberg is a name most readers associate with sophisticated sci-fi. This novel was written when he was a young man, still publishing mostly in pulp-fiction magazines. It is a typical well-done crime novel of the hard-boiled sort, a descendant of Hammett and Chandler. The protagonist is an undercover agent for a federal agency, sent to bring to justice a counterfeiting ring (we don't learn his name until almost the end of the book). As always in this sort of novel, things go from bad to ...more
Markus Risser
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like many of his contemporary SF writer friends Robert Silverberg had to find new ways to make money after the SF-pulp-magazine market collapsed in the mid 50s. Since crime magazines held out a couple of years longer Silverberg made the jump into the hardboiled crime story scene quite effortlessly. One of his first forays was a series of short stories about an undercover agent called Nick who's give the most dangerous tasks infiltrating the underworld. His editor liked the stories so much he ask ...more
MH
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick-reading 1962 pulp novel about an undercover agent involved with competing gangs of counterfeiters, with its double crosses and mountains of violence it's a little reminiscent of Red Harvest, but without any of Hammett's sense of danger, self-reflection, or moral complexity. Some fun hard-boiled turns of phrase here and there, and a couple of good short stories are included, but the novel has no real surprises and is much dopier than most of the Hard Case Crime reprints.
Baker St Shelves
A government agent has to go deep undercover stop a counterfeit ring. You can see how this would be an interesting book to get into. This had a great suspense element that I liked making it an almost cat and mouse game. But despite that, I didn’t like this as much as the last few. I really wanted to be a little longer rather than just cutting off at the end.
Sillyhuron
They don't write 'em like this anymore.... terse, slangy, tough guy dialogue with an easy-to-follow plot (I judge mysteries by how often & I have to go back and recap), memorable characters & a satisfying finish. Quick, sleazy fun. (Plus two other stories in the same vein & a hilarious afterword by the author on pulp publishing in the 50's).
Jeremy Carter
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard Case Crime. The mere mention of this imprint brings back Hammet, Chandler, Spillane, and all the other hard-boiled detectives of the thirties and forties.
Verge LeNoir
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delving into the Hard Case Crime archives I found this little gem originally published in 1962 by a pulp author who was primarily a Sci-Fi writer.

A Philadelphia set caper full of sex, violence, and triple crosses.

Nick aka Vic Lowney is a chameleonic federal agent whose job is to switch places and impersonate a California operative in order to take down a Philly outfit who specializes in forging money or ‘Queer’ (apparently is what it was called back in the day) Things quickly get out of control
Mark Birchall
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
Really enjoyed this book which is moly slightly longer than a novella. Didn't realise silver erg wrote this stuff only ever seen his sci fi work on the bookshelves . He can write noir with the best and this edition has a little afterword about the story and how he came to write it. These hard case books showcase some great talent that could easily have been lost to us , especially our UK noir fans and I am grateful for the reprints. The back of these books often feature more titles in the genre ...more
Jason Reeser
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Quick, sharp, tough. If you wanted to suggest a title that would epitomize the Hard Case Crime series, this one would work. These guys talk tough, and shoot straight. I've read better, I've read much worse. My only complaint would be that the "hero" lacked any kind of sympathetic character traits. So I wouldn't have cared what happened. But I think that's what these books were all about. It is like standing on a street, watching two guys shoot at each other. Someone is gonna get it, and you're c ...more
M.R. Dowsing
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although best known for his science fiction, Silverberg proves himself equally adept at the hard-boiled crime genre with this novel written 50 years ago and published here for the first time in book form. It's a straight-ahead, no-nonsense page-turner involving an undercover cop and a forgery ring. If, like me, you love American pulp fiction of this vintage, you won't be disappointed. Also included are a couple of the author's nifty short stories of similar style.
Darrell Grizzle
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great novel from Hard Case Crime, this one a "lost" crime novel from Robert Silverberg's early days as a pulp-fiction writer. Also includes an afterword by Silverberg about the novel, as well as two of his short stories, also from the magazines of the 1950's. Double-crossing gangsters and government agents, counterfeit money schemes, gun battles, and of course a femme fatale - it's all here, in all of its pulpy glory.
Mark Drew
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a fast read and very well written - it is a Hard Case Crime book which says it all. However, if you are old enough you might remember an old CBS TV show named "Tightrope" starring Mike Connors as the undercover agent named "Nick" because that was what his life was worth - a nickel.

Déjà vu all over again
Chris
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for hard-boiled detective fiction, so I'm a tailor-made audience for this noir from 1962. Even setting that aside, however, this is one taut, engaging read. If you like the "usual suspects" of crime fiction--Cain, Chandler, Hammett, Leonard, Ellroy--then check out this rediscovered gem from (of all people) science-fiction writer Robert Silverberg.
Scott
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Very solid noir-ish stuff, well suited as part of the HARD CASE CRIME imprint. Certainly not the most clever, poignant, or unpredictable of its ilk, but a solid read front to back, if you like the genre.
Frank Taranto
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: hard-case-crime
Combines two of my favorite reads, Hard Case Crime and Robert Silverberg. This is a typical early Silvefberg work, even if it's not SF. Fast paced, easy to read as the language never interferes with the story. A very happy find.
  • False Negative (Hard Case Crime #107)
  • Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)
  • Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18)
  • Seduction of the Innocent (Jack & Maggie Starr #3)
  • House Dick (Hard Case Crime #54)
  • Dutch Uncle (Hard Case Crime #12)
  • Fade to Blonde (Hard Case Crime #2)
  • The Consummata
  • Witness to Myself (Hard Case Crime #19)
  • Honey in his Mouth (Hard Case Crime, #60)
  • Night Walker (Hard Case Crime #16)
  • The Comedy is Finished (Hard Case Crime #105)
  • Plunder of the Sun (Al Colby #2)
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • Kill Now, Pay Later (Ben Gates #3)
  • The Corpse Wore Pasties (Hard Case Crime, #62)
  • The Gutter and the Grave (Hard Case Crime #15)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye (Hard Case Crime #8)
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more