Start by marking “Uniformity with God's Will” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Uniformity with God's ...

Alfonso María de Liguori

Uniformity with God's Will

Explains how God is glorified by our resignation to His will even more than by our acts. An easy way to become not only holy but enjoy serenity in this life. This is a little book to keep people from despair; will bring consolation to anyone having trouble accepting his lot in life. A real gem.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1758)

To ask other readers questions about Uniformity with God's Will, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uniformity with God's Will

Start your review of Uniformity with God's Will
booklady
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to booklady by: Wanda Reed
Recently I noticed a similarity in classic spiritual works. As I was working my way through Abandonment to Divine Providence, I stumbled into Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness and then this book, Uniformity with God's Will.

All three books speak to the centrality of making God's will your will. St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori puts it this way, ‘Conformity signifies that we join our wills to the will of God. Uniformity means more – it means that we make one
Brice Higginbotham
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Brice by: Patrick Riviere and Luke Robichaux
Shelves: catholic
This little work is absolutely wonderful! I found St. Alphonsus's advice instantly applicable to my life and helpful for my growth in holiness. Some of his phraseology may seem harsh but, when reflected upon, it is most often clear that the saint is correct. Though I had one point of difference (the specifics of which I've forgotten) with St. Alphonsus, I give deference to the spiritual master and, if it comes up again, will reflect further upon that point and, more importantly, talk to the Lord ...more
Amanda
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly short read but so rich it took me days to get though. It was the exact boost I needed in my spiritual life. St. Alphonsus declares that sanctity and true joy and peace come solely from always desiring the will of God, and accepting everything that occurs as the will of God (even the bad and the ugly)
April
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
Completely against the 'wisdom' of the world, but completely true. All is gift.
J.
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
St. Alphonsus de Liguori is a great writer of short, spiritually edifying, and enlightening writings, much like his "How to Converse With God" pamphlet-book this too contains the shortest yet high-quality information on living the honest Spiritual Life that no thick textbook on Theology could possibly provide, in fact I would wager that no Theology textbook should be read without reading these shorter spiritually edifying books.

I can definitely see myself bringing this book on spiritual retreat
Skylar Burris
Well, I’m unfortunately a long way from being in uniformity with God’s will. Then again, I’m not entirely sure I agree that God wills every horrible thing that happens to us or that we should accept suffering quietly. (St. Alphonsus wouldn’t make much of a psalmist.) But Christ does tell us not to worry, and Paul tells us to learn to be content, so I am trying to put some of this book into practice. However, I think it takes a saint…
Chris Roy
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, there I go, highlighting another entire paragraph...
Adam
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This is an amazing book about following God's will. It's short (only 45 pages) and simple but it does an excellent job of explaining how to accept and follow God's will in your life. Probably one of the best books I've ever read.
Jacqueline
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!

Everyone should read it.
MARY GRACE
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is short, yet articulates so well the only real thing one needs to do for a truly happy life.
Pam
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A small pamphlet full of excellent recommendations.
Cris
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good complement to Caussade's book, Abandonment to Divine Providence, but much more practical. Its not enough to just attempt to do God's will in the large things, the simplest path to holiness says Liguori is to unite oneself to God's will in the small things. You know how you sometimes wish, it were hot when it's snowing. Or that you were tall, when you are short. Don't do that. Even in speech, says Liguori, do not say anything that contradicts God's will. Don't just say: 'God's will be done ...more
James
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of my top recommendations, especially during times of trouble.

Ligouri is a superb writer, he manages to say within this little book so much about trust in Divine Providence, and nothing seems lacking.
Erik
Included in the "Spiritual Reading" section of Fr. John McCloskey's 100-book Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan.
Julie
Short read but full of wisdom-will likely read again. Available for free from Christian Classics Ethereal Library.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Perfect, simple, deep, insightful... a very good stuff for the soul!
John
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
A personal favorite. His will must be done. Simple to say but so difficult to do.

Great read for Lent. Short book that takes maybe half an hour to read. The best way to live as a Christian.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori stresses in this book that we should follow what God wills for us... no matter how great our sacrifices if this is not according to His will then this is nothing....
Thatkliqkid
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly inspirational book. I read it all in one sitting.
Luis Bird
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great spiritual reading!
Emily
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic-read
Short, yet to the point. Accept the gifts and holiness God has given you, do not desire more. For the best thing we can do is unite our will with His Will!
Patrick
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Solid read on the subject at hand.
Stephen Heiner
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saint Alphonsus, a Doctor of the Church, often writes very long and scholarly works, and so it is a great joy and pleasure to find such a small pamphlet packed with his wisdom, in this particular case, directing us to better seek out conformity with the will of God, rather than the pursuit of our own.

(speaking of Job) "He did not say: 'The Lord hath given me my children and possessions, and teh Sabeans have taken them away'...We must not therefore consider the afflictions that come upon us as ha
Joseph
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In another day and age, this may have resonated more with readers in search of better pursuing one’s faith (it still may today for some), but much of the language and presentation shows its datedness.
Marissa
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

This book is a short compendium of the most necessary things. Keeping these thoughts and advice in the forefront of our minds will surely lead to more patience and peace in our lives, homes, and communities! It is no wonder that St. Alphonsus is a Doctor of the Church!
Bryan Mutchler
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book

Although small in length, this book is long in wisdom. Anyone struggling to cope with temptation, loss, or the trials of this world will find comfort in the words of this Saint.
Jarvis Benjamin
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helped me get closer to God.

Excellent way to be in God's friendship. I only know what helps me and I think it's a wonderful way to get back to what it means to be in the church. To be Catholic. The Deposit of Faith as Jack Sky described it.
Louis R
As helpful as this book has been, it must be read with an understanding of Ligouri's own anthropological and theological thought, especially in modern America, where one who reads this could quickly (and dangerously!) fall into a fatalism and Calvinism.
James Catingub
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read tract that summarily stresses assent to God's will. St. Alphonsus balances between the practical and the spiritual, drawing from different saints as well, to further stress his points. An essential read for anyone looking to enhance their spiritual life and draw even closer to God.
Robb
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Short but profound meditations. Best read slowly. Allow each chapter to steep in your daily activity.

• True Devotion to Mary
  • Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth
  • Orthodoxy
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
Saint Alfonso María de Liguori, CSsR (1696–1787), was an Italian Catholic bishop, spiritual writer, composer, musician, artist, poet, lawyer, scholastic philosopher, and theologian.

He founded the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (the Redemptorists). In 1762 he was appointed Bishop of Sant'Agata dei Goti. A prolific writer, he published nine editions of his "Moral Theology" in his lifetime, i