Start by marking “The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #0.5)

The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin 0.5)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  515 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
WINNER of *Best Novel* and *Best Fantasy* in the Best of the Independent eBook Awards (2012).

Against the backdrop of epic warfare and the powers of ten mysterious gods, Lucia struggles to understand The Black One.

Her father-king wants war.

Her messianic brother wants peace.

The black god wants his due.

She suffers all the consequences.

King Vieri is losing his war against the
Published (first published August 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Black God's War, please sign up.

Asteropê It seems Black God is a stand-alone, full length series prelude/prequel. Ninth Wind is the first actual book of the series. It was #ed on GR, before…moreIt seems Black God is a stand-alone, full length series prelude/prequel. Ninth Wind is the first actual book of the series. It was #ed on GR, before the other book, so it was assumed to be #1 - hence both being listed as #1. I had to read some reviews and check around to figure this out, because it wasn't so clear. I have edited the book #ing to indicate this, with the Black God being #0.5 and The Ninth Wind #1. I believe Ninth Wind is the first book of a planned trilogy. The blurbs/reviews for Ninth Wind seem to indicate it's not necessary to read Black God before you read Ninth Wind, but it's probably helpful to understand the plot and world-building. The updated series is as follows: https://www.goodreads.com/series/8984...(less)

Matteo
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
I liked the setting, different from the classic European Middle Age that you can find in the majority of fantasy books.
Here you have basically ancient Greece fighting against India and I personally found it quite refreshing.
The two cultures are very different and it is actually this big difference in terms of religion and beliefs that creates a conflict between them.
There is no good and evil side, but the main spark for the war is ignorance and prejudice.
Even the most
Steve Thomas
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie
I spent a lot of time waffling between two and three stars as I read this book. The prologue was unfortunately the best part, and like a modern rock song, once you get past the opening riff, it settles into mediocrity. The writing style was clean and serviceable, but a little bland. The dialog wasn't great, but mostly worked well enough.

In my opinion, there were two major problems that soured me to the whole book:

First major issue:

The world needed a lot more development. I would even argue that
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really like this book. The plot is interesting, so are most of the characters. The author claims to be familiar with ancient Greek and Indian mythology, and it shows. I will have to give away some minor spoilers, but nothing that could not be seen in a first couple of pages of the book.

There is a war going on between two sides: Rezzians (think ancient Greece) and Pawelonians (think ancient India). One of the few weaknesses of the book is that the original reason for war is never revealed - or
Moses Siregar III
Aug 04, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: All sentient beings
Recommended to Moses by: ...
This is the full novel (120,000 words/384 pages) promised by the much shorter excerpt novella, ‘The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a New Epic Fantasy.’ The novella is still available for free at all the major e-bookstores and it has its own page at GoodReads). Thanks for checking out my work!
Kim Osborn
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While waiting I may have to read this book again, it's a work of art, thank you for the time, imagination and effort you took on this book. I just love a book such as this that takes plenty of time to read, as I've said before I hate a short book, and love long novels. You've done yourself proud and I look forward to reading more of your works. I feel the need to add a Arendt bit more after reading some comments, this book allows you to use your imagination to fill in the areas that need fleshin ...more
Mihir
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: The Black God’s War is an Indie debut that has slowly gained a multitude of reviews and heaps of praise since its release last year. The author had contacted us for a review request and I was very intrigued by its blurb to not give it a try. The book was originally released as a novella that contained the first fifteen chapters and the novella is still free for those interested in giving it a shot.

The blurb details two nations at war. The
Stacey
Black God's War is a story propelled by human ambition and desire for cultural dominance, and ambiguous heroes choosing paths sometimes based on misunderstanding and poor information. It's war, and military intelligence is not always what it seems.

Faith and Spirituality is a character in this story, as much as Caio, Rao and Lucia. One side, (the Rezzian) has a much more personal interaction with their pantheon of Gods; there's a lyrical scene where Caio ceremonially chooses, or is chosen by, hi
Lane Diamond
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moses Siregar has crafted a compelling, epic fantasy in THE BLACK GOD'S WAR, one that will keep you engaged from start to finish. I struggled a little bit with the name-dropping in the opening segments -- lots of characters to remember quickly -- but once I got into the story, I was anxious to finish it.

That I am not a big fantasy reader, yet still wanted to tear through this book, means, I suspect, that if you're a fantasy fan, you're going to love this book.
Robert Duperre
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

(Reviewer’s note: I received this book as an ARC from the author)

Spirituality and religion. These words have been the salvation and bane of human existence since we first formed coherent thought. From the tribal convictions of the earliest African nations to the ancient Greeks to the world as we know it today, we have celebrated them together, found solace through their teachings, fought and killed each other over their differences.

What Moses Siregar has sought to do in The B
Mike Vasich
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BGW starts off with a scene where one of the main characters gets a visit from the eponymous god. Tragedy ensues, and he continues to show up time to time throughout the book. While the character views him--rightly so--as evil, the reader is not quite sure that this is so. This is due to the subtlety that Mr Siregar imposes on the god character. Rather than evil incarnate, he seems to be mostly put upon by fate (or whatever it is that drives gods).

This little thread kept me reading throughout t
  • Wrath of the White Tigress: A Tale of Pawan Kor
  • Dawn of War (Blood War, #1)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • The Broken Council (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • In Wilder Lands
  • Emerald (World of Samar #1)
  • Lucifer's Odyssey (Primal Patterns, #1)
  • Son of Ereubus (Guardians of Legend, #1)
  • Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • Scriber
  • Moonbeams  (Beams and Light, #1)
  • Sasha (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #1)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Brood of Bones
  • Talon of the Unnamed Goddess
  • My Enchanted Life
My novel is a dramatic epic fantasy (cover below), with a novella-length intro now available as an ebook. I blog about the writing life at:

You can find the novella at Amazon and Smashwords. Below, you'll find a YouTube video with my reading of the first chapter of my novel. The first chapter is also on my GoodReads profile.

When I was ten, I fell in love with a
More about Moses Siregar III...

Splendor and Ruin (1 books)
  • The Ninth Wind (Splendor and Ruin #1)
“The mind is the master of the physical world. The physical isn’t observed by the mind—it’s actually dependent on the mind. It’s more correct to say that the physical world is also mind. Remove or transform the mind, and the physical world has no independent existence. When you know the truth about reality, you don’t have to fear anything in the physical world.” 0 likes
“I believe it is not important how long you live, but that you give yourself to living. Live as only you can, with every part of you fully engaged.” 0 likes