Start by marking “I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I'm Here To Win: A Wor...

Chris McCormack

I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  804 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
In I'M HERE TO WIN, Chris "Macca" McCormack opens his playbook and reveals everything it takes-mind, body, and spirit-to become a champion. Now he shares the story of his triumphs and the never-say-die dedication that has made him the world's most successful triathlete.

In 2010, at the age of 37, Macca beat the odds and won the Ford Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawai
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Here To Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Here To Win

Joey O'Connor
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: athletics-sports
This was a really fun read. I stayed up many a late night (which is not good when you're in training and my body needs rest!).

I devoured the stories and loved the helpful information. Macca was near the finish line at the 2011 Ford Ironman World Championship cheering on my buddy Scott Rigsby, the first double-amputee to complete the Kona Ironman (2007). Scott was finishing his second Ironman and like Macca, offers true inspiration for overcoming setbacks and obstacles.

Macca tells some wonderful
Kate
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lent-to-me
Initially I felt this to be self indulgent and was overwhelmed by the hefty dose of Chris McCormack's enourmous ego. However for what ever reason I perserved and am damn glad I did! He tells his story in round about way and slowly the real Chris emerges who demostrates humility and grace whilst acknowledgin gthat to achieved what he has takes ego and arrogance. There is a lot in here that can be transfered to ones own life to improve and tweak ones weaknesses. I have found myself inspired and mo ...more
Marc Geraldez
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this book and often found myself laughing out loud every time he talked about the mental games with the other athletes. He really opened up a lot in this book and cemented the fact that he is my favorite athlete.
Pennylope
I *wanted* to like this. I really wanted to walk away from this book thinking that Macca is misunderstood. But, the book just further solidified Macca's image as an cocky asshole. I am and will always be Team Crowie.
Dennis Mix
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Macca's take on racing and appreciated his honesty on what it took to beat Crowie. Must read for every triathlete.
Mitch Kelly
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great listening while I worked out. Even when I was commuting to work, it encouraged me to get out for a run as soon as I got home. In my opinion, it's close to the ideal audiobook.
Kimberly
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
p212
How you deal with pain has everything to do with whether you take a positive or negative mind-set into a race. I'm not much for affirmations, but the one thing I say to myself before every race is, “Embrace the suck.” Because no matter how much you love being a triathlete, at some point a race is going to really, really suck.

p214
So pain is like an old friend to me. When it shows up I think *There you are. I was wondering when you'd get here. * It's not that I'm looking forward to suffering,
Shannon Riley
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and the insight it gave into the Triathlon world and the mindset of a champion. However, the whole notion of finding other people’s weaknesses and calling them out was not relatable for me. I understand where he is coming from, but I cannot see myself doing that. Overall, I enjoyed the book and leaned a lot about the power of confidence in racing.
Eduardo
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!

Being new in the sports, I have tried to find some insights from one of the greatest, and this book gave me more than I was looking for. It has inspired me to continue and never get back!
Eduard Omusoru
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
I've read this book after a surgery and all I can say is that it gaved me a lot of strength and helped me get out of the bed after it with the same huge desire to complete a triathlon as I had before. Macca is maybe not the youngest athlete but it has the most powerful mind and tactics since Dave Scott and Mark Allen.
Jeremiah
Drink coke while racing and create doubt in your opponents by relentlessly trying to retire them from the sport. Good sport psychology tidbits.
Rachelle Ayala
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally awesome book! First time I ever seen Macca was on a Wheaties box. His grinning face was on our breakfast table for over a year. Don't know why they're doing the old Mary Lou Retton, Bruce Jenner and Ali boxes nowadays. I want Macca back!

This book is a great introduction to triathlons by the greatest triathlete on the planet. What I admire about Chris McCormack is his honesty. That's right. He talks about his failures as well as his glories and doesn't sugarcoat his mistakes.

The chapter a
Stephen Redwood
Very readable although hard to get past the repeated self-aggrandizing without it grating. McCormack is without question has been/ is one of the top triathlete's in the world and his journey to get there is interesting and eventful in all sorts of ways that have tested his fortitude and character. He comes across as a somewhat complex character: he puts energy into doing many worth things in the world, but seems to fear us not appropriately ranking his good and great deeds, and spends a lot of t ...more
Michelle Lines
*Sigh*, where to start?

This was my first 'audiobook'. When I went to the library to pick up this book, it turned out that they only had an audio copy, so I took it, figuring it would be good listening material for my long runs. Long story short, I made the classic rookie mistake of not taking my iPod off "shuffle" prior to starting my run. So my first impression of this book (40 mins worth), was bordering on disgust. I couldn't believe any publisher would allow a book to be so scatterbrained...
Shreyas
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A scintillating story of a manipulative underdog who was invincible in the shorter versions of triathlons but melted when it came to IWC, Kona until he won it not once, but twice in his 15 plus years of injury free career as a pro.

Macca has presented his story with all the elements needed to make the read an interesting one; a bit of emotional drama, touches of shrewdness needed, yearly swim-bike-run training mileage, sponsors, nutrition, family, competition, commercials- a culmination of these
James Ouma
This book challenged me so much I ended up signing up and running in my first half marathon, 16 days after I had undergone minor surgery on my neck! That is how powerful this book is. It is simple yet powerful and can be applied to every phase of life - sports, business and life.

I highly recommend I'm Here to Win to every person out there who is looking for inspiration. Your strategy for winning in life will never be the same again. You won't look at the tools you have available the same again!

H
Tomomi Sasaki
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stayed up til 5am to finish this book, reading about Macca's career as he learns how to approach each race as a mini-war (his words) and plan accordingly. Consider all elements related to an event, learn from other sports, study the other athletes, follow the race not the results, take a holistic approach to training. The book also talks about triathlon and Ironman as a growing sport, what the Olympics did for its development, regional differences of athletes and events, the role that the medi ...more
Peter
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The training schedule is valuable, but the approach to sport is shallow and irritating. This is all a matter of taste and I know many people have enjoyed this book. McCormack certainly was a great triathlete. But I found his criticism of other athletes a bit pathetic and his glorification of playing mind games with competitors inconsistent with what sport means to me. I lost respect for him after reading this. As I say, it is a matter of taste and he is a much better triathlete than I will ever
Tony
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read that appeals to the triathlon addict on multiple levels. Though Macca has been known as something of trash-talker on the professional triathlon circuit, his book provides insights into his personality and motivation. Much of it reads like he's sitting across from you, dishing colorful tales about his race day experiences and interactions with other famous pros. However, he also includes plenty of training advice, including sample workouts and insights on nutrition and preparation tha ...more
Nate
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta love Macca. He's confident and brash, but he knows who he is. And he's a real competitor. I think we can all relate in some ways to what he describes in the book...those nerves at the start of the race but the desire to look supremely confident. I really enjoyed hearing about his race tactics and the way he modified his style to fit the changing world of triathlon.

I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who is a competitor or just loves reading about world class athletes.
Brittany Fritz
This was a great book to listen to! Chris McCormick was a very talented triathlete. He also provided a lot of great insights into not only the physical training it takes, but also the mentality behind the sport. What it boiled down to was you may have to tweak a training program here and there, but go with what best fits for you. We are all different and no one training program will fit everyone. Doesn't that sound like a lot of things in life?
Jay N
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book with a large amount of insight into how he approaches the sport. The whole "everyone says I can't do it and I'm gonna show them" theme does get a little repetitious by the end. However, it was interesting to read about how he applied a strategy to win certain races. I just don't think McCormack is quite as groundbreaking as he thinks he is and gives himself credit for which he does consistently throughout the book.
Garrett Trubey
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use to hate Macca just based on Kona sound bites and interviews I had seen, but I was endeared to him through this book. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I feel he did a good job of being as objective as he could be ( given his self proclaimed levels of confidence). I feel like he gave his rivals and opponents their due. It was a great book, and an awesome insight into ironman. I put it on par with Chrissie Wellingtons book. I really enjoyed it!
Derek
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this book. Macca's road to his second Kona championship win is pure adrenaline and reading his book one gets to understand the focus, dedication and passion of Chris McCormack to triathlon and the ups and downs of walking the path of a professional triathlete. Lots of great quips and nuggets of tri wisdom to takeaway. Makes for riveting reading and couldn't put the book down once I started.
Darrell
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These sentences written by Mark Allen in the forward embody the spirit of the book; "You can either live the safe route that many others have done and will continue to do, or you can take the leap of faith: Jump off the cliff that can send you into a world that in unpredictable, extremely challenging, and altogether unsupported by those who see risk as a negative. Do that and you can truly live the life that you were put here to live."
Chris Lee
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. My first Ironman read. Liked hearing McCormack's philosophies behind competing and training. Good mix of memoir, Ironman event recap and training information. Definitely de-romanticizes the race. While I have no plans to include an Ironman on the bucket list, the wheels might have turned once or twice.

Would definitely recommend.
Elizabeth
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been on a tear through books about running and triathlon and this was one of the best athlete driven ones. Macca gave great training information but the book was mainly about his personal story. I enjoyed the writing and I think his editor did a great job. Just enough personal stuff to keep it interesting, just enough juice about other athletes to make me hit Wikipedia afterwards.
Cynthia Mccants
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book probably more than the average reader. I was looking at it from a spiritual perspective and compared his competitive thoughts to that of running the spiritual race. Great points and anecdotes. I agree with other reviewers who referenced his personal indulgences BUT its part of who he is and what made him and his insight so great.
Dmitry Demidov
Прочитал меньше половины. Книга не оправдала моих ожиданий. Я брал ее, как источник мотивации для занятий спортом - как что-то похожее на "Рожденный бегать", а она оказалась автобиографией не самого приятного человека. Кроме того, написанной (или переведенной) не лучшим образом.

Два - исключительно из-за уважения к спортивным достижениям автора.
Jonathan Cote
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read (or audiobook listen for me) to learn a lot about one of the best endurance athletes around. I was surprised to the level in which tactics impacts triathlons. It's brains as much as physical if not more at the highest level. Macca is very open and provides valuable tips and entertaining stories. Love his passion, enthusiasm, and drive to be the best he can.
  • A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
  • Be Iron Fit, 2nd: Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness
  • Iron Heart: The True Story of How I Came Back from the Dead
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon
  • The Handoff: A Memoir of Two Guys, Sports, and Friendship
  • The Extra Mile: One Woman's Personal Journey to Ultra-Running Greatness
  • Jeremy Lin: The Reason for the Linsanity
  • 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- And How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!
  • Lance: The Making of the World’s Greatest Champion
  • Running with Joy
  • Fitness Confidential
  • Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
  • How Great Women Lead: A Mother-Daughter Adventure into the Lives of Women Shaping the World
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • The Long Run: One Man's Attempt to Regain His Athletic Career-And His Life-by Running the New York City Marathon
  • Every Second Counts
Chris McCormack "Macca" was born in Sydney, Australia on April 4, 1973. He won titles and awards for his participation in sports during his school years, but initially chose education over a pro sports career and became an accountant after graduating from the University of New South Wales. He began competing professionally in 1996, and most recently, won the 2010 Ironman World Championship.
More about Chris McCormack...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.99 $1.99
  • At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe
    $9.99 $1.99
    $11.99 $1.99
“Fact One: Races are won or lost in key moments. Fact Two: Success in the sport is, above all else, about enduring suffering.” 7 likes