Start by marking “What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank” as Want to Read:
What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank

What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  6,235 Ratings  ·  875 Reviews
These eight new stories from the celebrated novelist and short-story writer Nathan Englander display a gifted young author grappling with the great questions of modern life, with a command of language and the imagination that place Englander at the very forefront of contemporary American fiction.

The title story, inspired by Raymond Carver’s masterpiece, is a provocative
Published February 7th 2012 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank

brian
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
i kinda dug this book. d'jew?
d'jew like it?
it's probably the jewiest book i've ever read.
this is a good thing -- i like jewy books.

i don't wanna generalize b/c there are plenty of jews who are as dumb as gentiles, but jews really kicked some literary ass in the 20th century: you've got the (un)holy trinity (roth, mailer, bellow), then there's salinger, malamud, & potok. the 2 other roths: henry & joseph. kafka. koestler. canetti. the list goes on...

but jews are no longer the 'outside
Anmiryam
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The first and last stories in this collection are brilliant. They are intellectually satisfying, funny, and emotionally wrenching. In them Englander manages to address issues and themes that have run through my life, and I suspect many Jewish and half-Jewish (that would be me) Americans born after WWII and the founding of Israel. What role does Judaism as a religion play in our lives? If we do not practice, are we still Jewish? How do we know what we would have done if caught in the horror that ...more
Glenn Sumi
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d read the occasional Nathan Englander story before in magazines and anthologies, but nothing prepared me for the enormous range, depth and maturity of the eight stories in this superb collection.

Englander takes on big issues – anti-Semitism, the Israeli settlements, avenging the Holocaust – but always from an unexpected angle and with a fresh, authentic voice. These tales offer up urgent, morally complex questions about how to live in the world and the ways stories affect us.

There’s a Kafkae
Arnie
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Sorry , I posted my review of The Paris wife for this will rewrite soon.
Rewrite:
I thought the first story (the title story) was extremely powerful, but would have been better without the short coda about the current circumstances of two characters). The second story was excellent. Except for the last story (which I didn't find credible) the rest of the stories were good but nothing special. A good review would contain too many spoilers.
Teresa
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
After not finishing his novel, The Ministry of Special Cases, I was happy to have my confidence in Englander (and in my own sense of humor) restored after reading the title story. There's an even more hilarious -- and darker -- story later in the collection that reaffirmed this feeling.

The stories range from comic and devastating to devastatingly dark, with different styles, including a parable of sorts and one in the form of creative nonfiction that emphasizes a couple of things are true in bot
Rebecca Foster
Witty, iconoclastic, but never trivial, Englander’s short stories form an enduring reflection on Jewish identity in light of history.

The title story sets the tragicomic tone as Englander’s contemporary characters obsess over the Holocaust, speculating about whether Gentile friends would hide them, Anne Frank-like, in an attic if the worst happened again. The recurring Jewish problem of self-definition, Englander insists, is that “you can’t build Judaism only on the foundation of one terrible cri
Will
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
It’s an intriguing title – it’s what made me pick up the book - but these are rather constrained short stories. The blurbs mention biting wit and humour but it’s quite understated when present at all.
There is something about the moral dilemmas that Englander’s characters find themselves in, and the title story was about the best of the lot – two couples play a game of whether they would have done what Anne Frank’s protectors did.

However, most of the stories have that stilted quality of parable
Jill
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
So what do Jews talk about when they talk about Anne Frank – or, perhaps more to the point, when they talk about love?

In the eponymous story, inspired by Ray Carver’s masterpiece, speaking about Anne Frank is laced with love, trust and fear. Ray Carver’s characters revealed how what we don’t say is more important than what we do, and in this pitch-perfect take-off, the same dynamics apply. Only this time, two old friends from yeshiva school unite years later and find themselves grappling with th
Marcello S
Io i racconti li reggo e non li reggo.
Quello del racconto è un meccanismo così complicato che io probabilmente nemmeno lo capisco.
Non so tutto quello che ci sta dietro, il come far tornare le cose senza farle tornare veramente.
Qualcosa di simile vale per le poesie credo. Non mi è quasi mai capitato di leggerne una che avrei scritto su un muro di casa.

La faccio breve: Nathan Englander mi è piaciuto a metà.

Dopo il primo racconto gli avrei dato 10 stelle. Ero gasatissimo.
Perché il primo raccont
Dave
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shortfiction
I really enjoyed this collection of stories. The first story, for which the collection is named, owes more than just the play on the title to Raymond Carver. Like Carver, Englander is able to capture the hints of disappointment or betrayal in a few words between intimates. Also like Carver, so much happens between the commas and periods of a conversation. Don't get me wrong, Englander definitely has his own voice and way of telling a story. Some stories even dip into dreamlike fantasy, like Peep ...more
Judy
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story lovers, Anne
What I like about Nathan Englander's writing is that it has the contemporary feel to it but yet is unique. It doesn't have that run-of-the-mill writing school flavor that so many writers pick up. Englander has the ability to put humor in his stories but yet talk about serious topics in a meaningful way all the while loading each story with heaps of Jewish culture. I loved these stories and count myself one of those on the Englander bandwagon. This volume contained the following stories:

*What We
Elyse
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'd really give this book about a 3.5 to a 3.7 rating. (but rated UP).

Its a small book --(8 short stories)--Jewish or Israeli themes.

A couple of the stories are Holocaust themes -- (such as "Camp Sundown") ---yet, its a very funny short story. (hilarious).

"Sister Hills" -- drove me 'crazy' --like 'nails-on-a-chalk-board-crazy'. (maybe---it was because I was in Israel myself during the Yom Kippur War?)
Or....maybe it was the story itself.
Two woman founded a small Jewish settlement near the Pa
Laura Leaney
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Englander's talent is undeniable. Every short story in this collection is fraught with conflict, beautifully detailed, and psychologically insightful. Everyone is Jewish - except for the occasional gentile or anti-semite. And Jewishness is held down over the characters' faces like paper bags that keep them from breathing any other air. Who is the most Jewish is the contest of the day. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as it leads to some very funny moments (a little Roth like, to me) and some ...more
John Luiz
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There’s a blurb on the back of this book from the great Richard Russo that really captures what makes this collection so special: “Nathan Englander is one of the rare writers, who like Faulkner, manages to make his seemingly obsessive, insular concerns all the more universal for their specificity.” Englander’s characters are all Jewish, struggling with antisemitism, memories of the Holocaust and the pull between religion and the secular world. As someone raised Catholic, I may not get all the He ...more
jordan
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Englander's “For the Relief of Unbearable Urges” was the sort of lovely irreverent debut that makes one take note of an author and eagerly await his next work. His first novel, “Ministry of Special Cases,” smart and emotionally sharp, pointed to a writer well on the way to finding his own unique voice. With “What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank” Englander has more than come into his own, he has firmly established himself as Bernard Malamud's worthy heir.

From the the beginnin
A.
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I loved Nathan Englander's debut collection of short stories For the Relief of Unbearable Urges. There were moments in that book that I felt like Bernard Malamud (a writer I love so outlandishly that tears come to my eyes when I type his name) was walking among us again.

Englander's new collection shook in my hands as I opened it - my excitement was so great, my longing so intense. For the most part, he delivers. Here are the highlights:

Best story: The title story is a hilarious and poignant dep
Moshe Mikanovsky
Interesting collection of short stories, all with the Jewish theme, which in some cases are dealing with cliches. It is easier to talk about the stories which I didn't like:
- The Reader - an overall boring story, read on the audio book by the author himself, a big mistake!
- Sister Hills - such a pretentious story, where the building of a settlement in the territories and Halachic arguments are its core.

The more intriguing stories in this collection, in my opinion, are:
- Peep Show - a wonderful p
Magdelanye
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
NE is a writer I admire for his intelligence and insight.
However I didnt particularly care for this collection of short stories, mostly because I found it difficult to relate to the humour. I didnt get the in jokes and it wasnt much of a pleasure.
Genia Lukin
Aug 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: other
Warning: In order to enjoy this book, you have to be Jewish. But not too Jewish. And definitely not an Israeli.

Preferably, you will be a well-educated, liberal, possibly somewhat traditional reader, who is rooted in his knowledge of, if not Judaism, then Jewish culture, so that you can understand all those parallels and parables the author throws at you. But not too rooted, because then you would know just how implausible some of the situations portrayed by Englander and acted out by his charact
Nick Schroeder
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
If you’ve heard about Nathan Englander’s volume of short stories it’s likely that you’ve heard about the title story in which two Jewish couples play the “Anne Frank game.” It’s a game where they decide which of their Gentile friends would hide them when the next Holocaust comes. You hear about that story because, despite its complexity, it’s the easiest to explain. While most of the eight stories in this volume center around Jews, Jewish subject matter and issues, in the end the themes and conc ...more
Sharon Burgin
This is a compilation of 8 short stories about Jews. Each is about a different person, experiencing a different way of life and Nathan Englander tries to pose a philosophical conundrum in each one. What would you do in this situation?

It started off very promisingly with a story sharing the same title as the book. Based in Florida it told the story of two couples originally from the same part of the country and way of life, who had then gone totally separate ways, one couple to Florida, the other
Gary  the Bookworm
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is another compelling collection of stories from Englander. He manages to develop interesting characters and all the stories are memorable. I had my favorites but I wasn't bored by any of them. Once again, he has demonstrated his impressive imagination, a keen sense of humor steeped in irony and the ability to balance absurdity and realism. His storytelling equals the best of John Cheever. My only complaint is that he hasn't written more fiction.
Hannah K. Garden
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I haven't read Nathan Englander in years, and I loved this just as much as I did his first collection, way back in my twenties. The comparison is probably too on the nose to even bother mentioning what with the title, but he really does manage something very wonderfully similar to Carver's perfect torn evenness, but all on its own specific particular world and keel. Really moving brutal lovely stuff.
Thing Two
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Thing Two by: Fresh Air review 2/15/2012
I absolutely loved these stories, reminding me very much of Philip Roth without the heavy misogyny. I heard Englander on Fresh Air and he had me laughing. These stories pulled at my emotions in many ways - from humor to horror. I can't say enough good things about this collection. Definitely looking for more Englander books.
Michelle
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
So beautifully written and some stories were really powerful (for me the most impactful was the one about two families starting a village on the twin hills in Israel). Other reviewers have done a way better and more thorough job reviewing each story - all I will say is this collection was really great and taught me a lot about Judaism.
Carole
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of Nathan Englander and was looking forward to settling in with this new collection. But sadly, I found this work more like a writer's workshop gone awry, albeit with albeit occasional sparks of brilliance, insightful descriptions, and LOL dark humor. The stories seemed to be a weird (beyond quirky) witches brew of Albee, Aesop, and Hitchcock. The title intrigued me because it takes off from from Raymond Carver's amazing What We Talk about When We Talk about Love.

While Englander
Judith
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories is varied in style and point of view but all represent Englander’s perception of his Jewish faith. One story tells of his investigation into his own family history. Others approach the Jewish holocaust experience. Others let us into the lives of those who experience prejudice. And there are insights into just what it is to be a “good Jew”.

There is some wit or humor in each, though in some cases it is hidden. And not a little irony. As a whole, the collection info
Riva Sciuto
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pulitzers
I think I'd need to re-read this to better understand why it was a Pulitzer Prize finalist. I really wanted to like it -- and I did enjoy parts of it -- but some of the stories fell a bit flat. I loved the references to Jewish culture, history in each of the stories -- and I think Englander succeeds in capturing the Jewish experience from a variety of homelands, perspectives and cultural backgrounds (from Brooklyn to Israel!). Thought-provoking, but not mind-blowing.
John
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Spellbinding Collection of Short Stories from Nathan Englander

Nathan Englander is one of our great young American writers of fiction and his latest short story collection, “What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank”, is one of the finest I have read lately, replete with ample instances of humor and tragedy. Although Englander’s stories deal with the vicissitudes of fortune experienced by Jews in America and Israel, his stories are quite insightful explorations of human character whose u
Kressel Housman
If you're like one of the characters in the title story of this collection and you are drawn to Holocaust stories that show the humanity rising within the inhumanity, you won't find it here. There are no dying men passing on their hidden tefillin to the next Jew in the barracks, no Bais Yaakov graduates, burning with typhoid fever, holding each other up through roll call. For that, I recommend Between My Father and the Old Fool and To Vanquish the Dragon. This book is about much more ordinary, m ...more
Returned 1 2 Aug 08, 2017 08:29AM
  • Love in Infant Monkeys
  • Hope: A Tragedy
  • Natasha and Other Stories
  • The Lone Pilgrim
Nathan Englander is a Jewish-American author born in Long Island, NY in 1970. He wrote the short story collection, For the Relief of Unbearable Urges, published by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., in 1999. The volume won widespread critical acclaim, earning Englander the 2000 PEN/Faulkner Malamud Award and the American Academy of Arts and Letters Sue Kauffman Prize, and established him as an important write ...more
More about Nathan Englander...

“How terribly unfair that his whole self aches because of the shape of a shoulder, the soft line of a hip.” 6 likes
“43. My couch is 92 inches; it’s a deep green three-cushion. It seats hundreds. But that’s not why I got it. I got it because, lying down the long way, in the spooning-in-front-of-a-movie way, in the head-to-toe lying with a pair of lamps burning and a pair of people reading, it fits me and another – it fits her – really well.” 5 likes