Start by marking “The Woman Magician: Revisioning Western Metaphysics from a Woman's Perspective and Experience” as Want to Read:

For generations, women have had to channel their strength and power into the role of muse, priestess, or earth mother--and always in the shadow of male magicians. This groundbreaking book shatters outdated notions of the Western magical tradition and presents a new paradigm that celebrates and empowers the woman magician.

Drawing on thirty years of study and personal experi
Published September 8th 2011 by Llewellyn Publications (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Magician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Magician

Larissa
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I met Brandy at a Conference and saw her speak about The Woman Magician and about the Egyptian goddess Seshat and was inspired to read this book. I found the beginning section in which she compares the rituals of 4 different Western Magical traditions, The Golden Dawn's Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram, Thelema's Star Ruby and Gnostic Mass and the Circle from Witchcraft to be useful as she explained the history and cultural connections the rituals are based on as well as how it felt to her to be a ...more
Haliation
Mar 06, 2013 marked it as to-read
I've really been laying off the pagan-y books this year, but I was really intrigued with this one.
This is one of very few "women-centric" books that I have found that actually discusses gender in a way that allows for critique and recognizes that rigid male/female duality is often problematic. She discusses other genders, cultural constructs, and trans* issues. I have not had a chance to read it fully, but problematizing biological determinism is a YAY for me.

That said, page 191 and onward is li
Cameron
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely a keeper!

This book is incredibly important for feminists who are involved in the pagan or occult movements. It was recommended to me by feminist witches and I am SO GRATEFUL to have had the chance to get it and read it!

Brandy Williams echoes what is no doubt at least one of the complaints female Thelemites have brought up - whether it's the phallocentrism of the Star Ruby or the practice of females being treated as muses by male magicians with no power in their own right. But she addr
Jess Smoll
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: witchcraft
The first half, in which the author discusses the perception and role of women and the feminine in "traditional" Wicca and magic-Craft was very interesting and raised valid issues: As a childless adult woman, what does the three-faced Goddess represent for me, as I am not Maiden nor Mother nor Crone? for example. She also points out that Goddess-worship and it's typical portrayal of the feminine divine is flawed and unbalanced.

However, the whole second half of the book, which is a handbook for
Carolina Casas
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Has a little of History, psychology, socio-economy analysis of how religions and theologies have been transformed through time as well as the politics involved, has a little bit of everything. Even if you are not interested in Wicca, paganism or neo-paganism; this is a highly useful book for the reasons named above.
Rose
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first metaphysics book that really resonated with me. I'm not completely sure what really worked here - the writing was quite good, but I also feel like Brandy brought a keen awareness and an honest voice that feels so rare. All her observations about modern witchcraft were things that I had never quite found the words for. And the feminist slant was exactly what I wanted to hear.
Tanya Cassingham
Cassandra
Dec 30, 2012
Derrie Paquette
Feb 09, 2017
Brandy Williams is a Wiccan high priestess and ceremonial magician who has been practicing and teaching magic for over twenty-five years. An internationally known author and lecturer on esoteric topics and women's studies, she is also an initiator within Ordo Templi Orientis, based out of Washington State.