Start by marking “Event (Event Group Thriller #1)” as Want to Read:
Event (Event Group Thriller #1)

Event (Event Group Thriller #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  4,848 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
The Event Group is the most secret organization in the United States, comprised of the nation's most brilliant individuals in the branches of science, philosophy, and the military. Led by the valiant Major Jack Collins, they are dedicated to uncovering the hidden truths behind the myths and legends propagated throughout world history—from underground agencies and conspirac ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published April 3rd 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Event, please sign up.
Michelle I just finished reading primeval and now i'm starting event. Its not that important, but there were one or two spoilers about levithan, so i would be…moreI just finished reading primeval and now i'm starting event. Its not that important, but there were one or two spoilers about levithan, so i would be careful.

Ps. This is an extremely delayed answer! lol (less)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
This story gives us a good example of proper military protocol.

“God Damn it Sirs,” the sargent said loudly and breathlessly, “Just a little (effing) faster next time?”

Highly skilled team members willing to do anything.

“Major, I’ve never flown one of those things in my life. I don’t even like riding in the (effing) things.”

“What about the smaller one?” Collins asked, heading for the lone Blackhawk.

“Are you nuts?” Ryan asked as he chased Collins.

“Where is the Crew Chief for this Aircraft!” E
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Oooooookkkkkkaaaayyyyy... here's another one I feel I need to be careful and diplomatic with. It was recommended to me by a friend who obviously likes it a lot. I'm not a fan of this one and I find (sometimes) that in cases where I'm not a fan I can be less than, as I said diplomatic.

So, here goes. I can see why some might like the book.It's got a bit of action and lays out a nice (what I'd call) semi-invasion story. And I'd recommend that if you're into action or modern fantasy books (I side st
Tim The Enchanter
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Warehouse 13 and James Rollins and Mathew Reilly fans who like a bit of Sci-Fi
My #5 favorite read of 2013

An enthusiastic 4.5 Stars

Not since I read my first James Rollins novel have I liked a "new to me" author this much. This series looks to have all of the plot points I find exciting in an AA novel. Secret Government Agencies. Check. Tracking down ancient/paranormal/unexplained/other-world objects or artifacts. Check. Guns and Explosions. Check.

The only thing that kept me from giving this five stars was the cast of characters. I simply lost track of the characters. I
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was a very good book, although the start was a little rocky. I think that this is an ambitious story, but the reward was sweet. I haven't read that many Alien Invasion novels, because I don't find them that interesting. However, Golemon took the events of Roswell and made it relevant and also far from cheesy. In fact, he took it in an imaginative direction.

When people think of UFO and alien sitings, the 'little green men' always come up. Also, there seems to be a dichotomy when people spea
Billy Young
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
As I first began reading Event I was unsure if it was going to be good or not. Though the openiong chapter was a very good hook I felt the author spent to much on small details he could easily have left out. This slowed the pace a little but not so much that the tale stalled. As I read further this continued yet the story, as it unfolded, became faster pace racing to a climax that I could not wait to see. For this reason I found myself sitting several late nights in bed reading when my eyes were ...more
SuperHeroQwimm
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent story I would suggest for anyone who likes aliens =) the way they are described is awesome! I felt it was totally realistic if you are into conspiracy theories!

The book is based around a secret government agency called The Event Group which deals with any information regarding age old undiscovered mysteries, conspiracy theories, aliens or UFOs, and pretty much just anything abnormal. Two UFOs crash in the US after encountering a military ship that sends a couple of jets to 'scout' it,
Jeremy
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of thrillers and sci-fi
Recommended to Jeremy by: Peter Wolverton, the book's editor at Thomas Dunne.
Just finished reading Event. As far as first novels go, Event is pretty solid. I was skeptical when I picked this book up because I'm sooooo tired of the Roswell/gray alien deal, but I fought past that and enjoyed the book. What I found refreshing was the new take...or rather the non-boring take on the grays and their war with a slave-race. Of course, what I was really looking for in this book (and a lot of books I read...and write) were monsters/creatures/nasties/whatever you want to call them. ...more
Phil M
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Kinda slow, boring and predictable. Author takes too much time setting up for a whole series instead of crafting a good story. I found my self not caring about any of the characters. Was actually hoping for more to die to, you know, spice things up.
Hanzel
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very very good book, from the starting page to the last, "the action never stops!!!"
Highly recommended!!!!
An Odd1
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Good at what it is. More horror than thriller. Flying saucer sighted 10 July 1947 Roswell USA, repeats crashes present-day Arizona, details 2 days disaster 7-9 July alien attack, finishes month with epilogue chapters.

Reminds me of Sigler's Ancestor https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... Gruesome gore. 'Destroyers' are big, bad, fast, bulletproof armored, leap on helicopters, swim through ground, and rip scores of people and large mammals apart with razor-sharp teeth and claws.

Every red-bloo
Dee Haddrill
First read - 21/08/2011. Second read -04/08/2013 Listened to audible - 31/01/2015 Listened to via audible - 11/08/2017

21/08/2011 - I've had this in my "to-read" pile for some time and finally got around to reading it, and I have to say that I was impressed. I found a bit too much technical jargon but I just skimmed over that. The characters were great and the storyline interesting. Definitely one for the fans of The X-Files and military fiction. Will definitely be reading the next one.

11/08/2017
Dale
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Borrows heavily from movies and TV, decent action.

Event is not a bad book, per se, but I kept on thinking, "I've seen this before."

The book introduces a secret government agency called the Event Group which investigates historical legends, paranormal activity, UFO sightings, etc. They are sort of an X-Files, Men in Black and Delta Force rolled into one. The Event Group collects items of historical significance and studies them to plan for future disasters. They also keep these items secret.

Why?
Dave Edlund
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got hooked within the first few pages when two Tomcats engaged flying saucers. Yeah, what a scene!. Goleman continues throughout the book to weave incredible confrontations that kept me reading and loving it. The plot is original and has some good twists. The best way for me to describe "Event" is Matthew Reilly goes sci-fi. Unfortunately, the publisher did not do their part as the number of typos and misspellings is very large. Too bad, as it left a blemish on an otherwise spectacular story.
Ignacio Senao f
Algo tan coral puede ser contraproducente. Demasiados personajes mete David, algunos me dan realmente igual, ralentizando la historia. Es penoso que por inflamar el libro, perdamos interés por la acción tan jugosa que se desarrolla, en especial a los amantes de los monstruos. Pues no es tan sólo un thriller como nos quiere hacer ver la Factoría.

Este grupo de los mejores agentes en su campo, se dedican a investigar sucesos extraños, y a veces si que son extraños.
Brenda Fryland
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I love James Rollins, Dan Brown, Steven Berry, Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, and I am sure I missed quite a few exciting authors in this list.. I really thought I would be adding David Lynn Golemon to my list of favorite and prolific authors based on the blurb on the book!

But Event was just not as captivating as I wanted it to be! I love archeological mysteries - getting that bit of history always intrigues me. I adore special forces novels where a group is formed to deal with special situatio
Naomi
Oh my…Commander Jack Collins has a place in my heart. (For those of you that love tough army boys, like this girl right here, this is one of them)

It begins with the Roswell incident back in 1947, “the biggest cover up” of the United States, the plot develops from there when 50 years later the same thing happens with a very, very different outcome with plots, and intrigue coming from all directions

Loved the character development, yet not a study of them. Haven’t read the others (yet) but This boo
William
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: event-group, ebooks
I really liked this debut thriller from Mr. Golemon, and simply devoured the second half of the novel as the blood and gore spilt readily from the pages. While it seemed most of the main characters could withstand just about any attack suffered at the hands of the alien invaders, others did not which made for the occasional surprise. I do hope that the characters become more fully drawn in the next books, as many of the survivors represent the same old stand-by stereotypes present in similar pie ...more
Doug Raubacher
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first book in the "Event Series" of thrillers. Stumbled on this as it was recommended by Kindle to me. Glad I read it. A mixture of Science Fiction, History, and Thriller, it has all the ingredients I like in a recreational read. All that was needed was for the intriguing premise to be executed with some good writing and Goleman does not disappoint. Roswell, New Mexico 1947; Moon exploration and discovery; Alien invasion, and political mechinations, are all elements of the plot. They are all ...more
Stacie
Mar 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I did not actually finish this book. It might have gotten better, but as of Chapter 13 (about 175 pages in) it was still a mess of one-dimensional, unbelievable characters, stilted dialog, ridiculous plotting, and boring exposition. This read like a fan fiction of a made-for-SyFy-channel movie starring Dean Cain and Dolf Lundgren. I might have enjoyed that movie, but I couldn't stand the book. The author does, at least, show a basic grasp of grammar and writing structure and it's pos ...more
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Good story, good characters. I was only going to read this book, but I think I will eventually read some more in the series.

Update: Second listen. Still a pretty good book. Good narration. I really want to listen to book 6 in this series, but don't care about the four in between, not sure what I'll do about that.
Stephen
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aliens, underground monsters, secret government units, private industry, a Navy Seal, and a Army Ranger...lions and tigers and bears--OH MY! Event is the first book in this series, I picked up the first 3 at a garage sale, and now I'm going to have to get the rest of them as soon as I read what I have. When I finally got around to starting this book, I couldn't stop. I loved it.
Candi
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction, aliens
This book was very fast paced. Something was always happening. I really enjoyed the tour of vaults in the beginning. I wasn't expecting the amount of gory details but I don't mind it. Great read if you like sci-fi/aliens.
David Elkin
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first of the series. What a hoot. I am not quite sure Roswell went down this way but it is sure one helluva fun read. If you like kick butt non-stop action with just a little intelligence thrown in, make a point to read this one.
Werretired
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Page turner from beginning to end.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-read
Good solid, action-packed story. I am already deep into the second book of the series and have bought number three as well.
Jean-Michel Desire
It's been a long time since a book has left me with mixed feelings. So here's the dilemma and the result. The Event Group and its mission: an absolute fantastic idea for which I will definitely read other books in the series. This first event about the aliens: well, personally, I expected perhaps too much out of that Roswell cover-up event. I need to emphasize here that it is my expectations alone that have caused the dilemma, because the book is well written, full of adrenaline-rush action mixe ...more
James Yaklin
I want to like this book, I really do. Three story is really really good but unfortunately the writing just doesn't keep up well with it.

A story lives and dies by the author and unfortunately this author makes to many mistakes. Most notable is a series of continuity errors that at times made the narrative confusing to read. However, in addition there are a few spelling and grammar errors. The editors should have been more careful.

As for the story, it is very interesting albeit a bit too fantas
Justin Felgar
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A thrill ride from start to finish, easily one of the coolest books I have ever read. Simply put, it's like if you put The X-Files and Stargate SG1 into a blender. What came out is the Event Group. Great start to a series. Event had hints of Tremors, Predator, Alien, and even E.T. Breakneck action scenes, high tech military equipment, and haunting scenery juxtaposed on a plot that was nothing short of brilliant. The concept of the Event Group or Department 5656 is brilliant. I highly recommend t ...more
Read Ng
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
It was only okay for me. I was surprised that it was more of a Horror story with a slight Science Fiction bent. I have nothing against horror stories, it just that I was not expecting it to be one when I started the book. My initial impression of the “Event Group” series was going to be more along the lines of an X-Files group.

I still want to give the series another try and will read the next in the series. Have a GoodReads.
Azalter
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure why this hasn't been turned into a movie? Full of action. A bit long for me but it went fairly quick since it's a real page turner. I don't usually like sci fi due to unrealistic or hard to imagine scenery but this takes place on earth and nothing too far 'out there', which added to the enjoyment of the book.

I'm not sure I'll read the series, but you never know.
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
  • Raising Atlantis (Conrad Yeats Adventure #1)
  • Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • Rogue Wave
  • Empire of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • The Breach (Travis Chase, #1)
  • Decipher
David L. Golemon (a.k.a. David Lynn Golemon) is the author of the Event Group Thrillers, including Event, Ancients, Leviathan and Primeval. Legend, the second book in the series, was nominated for a RITA award for paranormal fiction. Golemon learned an early love of reading from his father, who told him that the written word, unlike other forms, allows readers to use their own minds, the greatest ...more
More about David L. Golemon

Event Group Thriller (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
  • Leviathan (Event Group Thriller #4)
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • Legacy (Event Group Thriller #6)
  • Ripper (Event Group Thriller #7)
  • Carpathian (Event Group Thriller #8)
  • Overlord (Event Group Thriller #9)
  • The Mountain (Event Group Thriller #10)
  • The Traveler (Event Group Thriller #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)