Start by marking “Modern Perl” as Want to Read:
Modern Perl

Modern Perl

In 1987, Perl 1.0 changed the world. In the decades since then, the language has grown from a simple tool for system administration somewhere between shell scripting and C programming to a powerful, general purpose language steeped in a rich heritage.

Even so, most Perl 5 programs in the world take far too little advantage of the language. You can write Perl 5 programs as i
Published (first published October 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Perl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Perl

Start your review of Modern Perl
Philip Hollenback
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is absolutely a must-read for anyone who has been writing perl scripts for a few years. If you're like me, you've accumulated years and years of dubious perl habits, based on outdated knowledge. This book helps you sort out what the best practices are for modern versions of Perl (5.10 and 5.12).

This is not a book for the perl beginner, it's aimed squarely at the moderate to advanced user. Lots of assumptions are made about your basic knowledge and the beginner would be quickly baffled by th
Victoria
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
This is by far the best Perl book I've come across. It's not too short and it's not the full specifications of the language. It's just enough to get you in and started with examples that are actually useful. I keep this on my desk as a reference point for when I get stuck.
Abraham Darius Llave
Easy to digest even for all levels of expertise, even for those coming from other languages.
jjonas
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Parts of the book were useful and parts weren't. The intro says "You'll benefit most from this book if you have some experience with Perl or another programming language already", but what that "some experience" exactly is seems to vary considerably from one part of the book to the next. In that sense there's no one type of reader that the book is written for. Some parts of it seem to have been written for people for whom "some" experience means they're comfortable with the basics, while for oth ...more
David
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was big into Perl over a decade ago, but wanted to get back up to speed quickly. This was exactly what I needed: a dense collection of modern Perl 5 practices.

It took me several months to get through Modern Perl, reading and absorbing just a little bit every day. Each page has an average of two new concepts and the book is littered with code examples. As one should always do when reading book about programming, I ran many of the examples and made up some of my own when I needed to better under
Nathan Glenn
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book to learn more Perl stuff from. chromatic teaches almost everything about Perl in a single book, supplementing it with pointers to useful modules, discussions, or other types of resources. He also has good advice for code design and organization, and general management.

The entire book is on GitHub, so you can open issues and send pull requests for anything you think should be changed! I decided to read the entire thing in POD format, which was a little cumbersome, but provid
Alvaro Tejada Galindo
Simply woaw! This book is a must have and a must read! If you have never used Perl before...start reading "Beginning Perl"...then...read this book...it's a Perl bible...bundled with lots of examples and simply and easy to understand use of Perl...

I wish every language had a book like this...it's like having a giant cheat sheet -:)

Need to say it again...this book is must read for every Perl developer...
Max Lybbert
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I've done anything substantial in Perl. This book provides a great re-introduction to Perl, shows several of the Perl 6 features that were back-ported to Perl 5, and has great tutorials on things such as Moose. Additionally, it has a lot of useful information on various corners of the language.
Miguel
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Perl developers who want to catch up on Modern Perl.
Shelves: programming
I found this to be a great Perl book. I will keep it nearby when I work on a Perl project, as it will be an invaluable resource. It is written in a concise and incisive style, which is also a quality of some of the best Perl code. It takes you through the latest improvements to the language, and works through through lots of very useful idioms that make use of recent features.
Gustavo Chaves
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
It has several good pieces of advice on current Perl "best practices". But I think it dwells too much on the perils of old idioms and semi-deprecated features, which could be left as a summary in an appendix. I think the core of the book should stress only the good parts.
Hilary
This is more for the intermediate Perl programmer, so read this after the Llama book, but do read it for another view on how to use Perl.

(Unrated because I'm not yet good enough to fully understand it, but I can appreciate it already.)
Matt
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perl is complicated, but chromatic did a pretty good job of showing off its power and presenting the best of Perl.

I wish most Perl developers would read this because it might help me from running away screaming from the Perl scripts that I often see at work.
Max Duan
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear and to the point, got me up and running with perl within a month.
Andrey
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Обязательная к прочтению книга для всех перлистов. Но начинать с нее точно нельзя – книга рассчитана на знакомого с программированием на перле человека.
Zoffix Znet
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome-books
Fantastic book if you're already familiar with another language or just want to keep your Perl-Fu up to date.
Per Flitig
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
An excellent introduction to Perl for experienced developers.
Roman Savelyev
It is not too big, because it does not repeat what "ancient Perl" has taught you. Moose is not covered very well. Few typos.
Enrico
this is a great book -- a lot clearer than the cookbooks i have been using for
years.
Eddie
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good guide for a bad language.
Doug
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should have read this 5 years ago.
Michał Górski
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default
must read for everyone who writes Perl scripts
Mrugesh
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an absolute must read! I've already made this a mandatory reading to all the perl developers in the team :)
Allie Fox
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good resource on current perl. I was mostly using the practices in this book but it was very useful to refresh myself on it all.
Sorin Manole
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: info
A gentle introduction to the horror that is Perl.
Paul Cochrane
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Learning Perl
  • Intermediate Perl
  • The C Programming Language
  • What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
  • Animal Stretching: Learn The Secrets To Increase Your Strength, Flexibility, Stamina And Energy Levels Naturally
  • Cryptonomicon
  • Geek Dad: Awesomely Geeky Projects and Activities for Dads and Kids to Share
  • The Ultimate Dachshund Hound Book: Guide to Caring, Raising, Training, Breeding, Whelping, Feeding, and Loving a Doxie
  • Perl Cookbook
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Hotel New Hampshire
  • Marx And Human Nature: Refutation Of A Legend
  • The Social Construction of What?
  • Programming Perl
  • Simpauttaja
  • Valkea talo jokivarressa

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »