Start by marking “Breaking Murphy's Law: How Optimists Get What They Want from Life - And Pessimists Can Too” as Want to Read:

3.03  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Pollyannas take heart, pessimists take note: Recent studies on achievement and well-being show that optimistic behavior contributes to better physical health, greater resilience in the face of life's twists and turns, and more satisfying relationships. As psychologists Suzanne Segerstrom reveals, optimists lay groundwork for the success they envision. While the rest of us ...more
Published March 18th 2011 by Guilford Publications (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Murphy's Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Murphy's Law

Nicole
Feb 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I think this book is misnamed. I read an article on this book in a magazine, and as a known pessimist who battles against my pessimistic nature I thought I would check it out, since optimists live longer and who wouldn't want to live longer and have a sunny disposition?
23 pages into the book I discovered that apparently my pessimistic/neurotic (and who wouldn't want to be called neurotic?) "unhappy personality" is biological and inherited. Really? How is that helpful? Ok, that may be the case an
Alexandra
Apr 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read a few pages here and there and decided not to read any further. A few interesting tidbits but there are so many good books out there this kind of topic that it's not worth your time. I feel like this the book also tends to go against a lot of the Buddhist/Eastern mentalities on mindfulness, which I'm a big believer in, and tends to espouse the Western mentality of using one's drive and motivation merely as the route to happiness.
Lisa
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected at all; it's like reading a neuroscientist's 300-page PhD thesis. Brilliant, but very dry. I only gave it 2 stars because I love the overall concept... and the abstract on the back cover was quite compelling. Maybe this is a fault on my part - why can't science be disguised as practical application or entertainment? ;-)
Donald Steiny
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a new way of looking at optimism and pessimism and provides an explanation of why optimists are more successful in life. I highly recommend it.
Jimmy
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good concept but dry and repetitive as hell. Not worth the time.
David Reber
Jul 08, 2016
Erik
Dec 28, 2011
Diana
rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2015