Start by marking “School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results” as Want to Read:
School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results

School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results

What does research tell us about the effects of school leadership on student achievement? What specific leadership practices make a real difference in school effectiveness? How should school leaders use these practices in their day-to-day management of schools and during the stressful times that accompany major change initiatives? Robert J. Marzano, Timothy Waters, and Bri ...more
Published September 15th 2005 by ASCD (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about School Leadership That Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School Leadership That Works

Start your review of School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results
Alex T.
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
I was first introduced to Marzano, Waters, and McNulty's work in 2014 as a new graduate student in an educational administration program. We focused on the 21 responsibilities they identified and discussed application. Having now read the entire book (instead of just the responsibilities) I feel I have a greater sense of the process and the need for this research to have been done. I found that their suggestions are very much in line with what other researchers and experts have identified and wo ...more
Angel Villareal
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
a complete book.
Mleander23
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book that shows various factors that lead to creating a school that makes tough choices to benefit each student, teacher, and community. I really enjoyed the 39 action steps and list of 21 ideals for the building/ academic principal. I will be utilizing these techniques to continue to grow as a principal.
Bryan
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
The big difference between Marzano and other writers is the amount of research. Wherever he was lacking, he used his access to other research to develop his philosophy further. In addition, his theories are based on the data not the other way. Easy to read and great for developing a PLC around
Teri
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
School Leadership That Works is above my paygrade as instructional coach. In using it in my position, I could use to analyze my strengths and weaknesses. There are aspects I might be able to use in support of my school and/or principal depending on goals of the school.
Kevin
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Marzano and company have created a practical overview of leadership. Mariano always seems to construct an easy to use step by step approach to any type of educational theory he is discussing. I think that's what separates him from other theorists.
Jason
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
My nose is so deep into this school leadership literature these days, it is just killing me. But I have been impressed with the quality of most everything I've read this year. I have no doubt this will be right up there, as well.
Joe
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a textbook on leadership. What else can I say?
Mills College Library
371.2 M3939 2005
Kathleen
Jan 18, 2009 is currently reading it
Currently it's just reinforcing what I've learned about from other books and reviews.
Kierstin
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like that it's based on research. The statistical analysis and backing on this book makes its findings so much more significant.
Abbie
Jun 08, 2012 added it
I read this for a School Leadership course. Good read!
Mikki
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Can't go wrong with Marzano. This is a good overview of the various leadership models, along with some Marzano data that can be overwhelming, but valuable.
Seth
Jan 24, 2011 added it
Shelves: education
Practical and well-researched.
Alicia
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great, research-based info, but a very dense read!
Angelina Moehlmann
Found it interesting and helped to clarify where one might choose to invest efforts.
Marydawnschuck
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't read the entire book... more of a skimming with more attention paid to certain parts. It was a good resource for my foundations class on leadership.
Mike
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
I need to re-read it now that I am in a leadership position. I find that Marzano is right on though.
Alexis
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: phd
8: Interesting meta analysis of correlations between general and specific leadership activities by principals and student achievement.
Brenda Giesen
May 05, 2017
Ed
Mar 19, 2009

• What Great Principals Do Differently: 15 Things That Matter Most
  • Excellence Through Equity: Five Principles of Courageous Leadership to Guide Achievement for Every Student
  • Leverage Leadership 2.0: A Practical Guide to Building Exceptional Schools
  • The Principal's Guide To School Budgeting
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • School Culture Rewired: How to Define Assess and Transform It
  • The Teacher Clarity Playbook, Grades K-12: A Hands-On Guide to Creating Learning Intentions and Success Criteria for Organized, Effective Instruction
  • How We Learn: The Surprising Truth About When, Where, and Why It Happens
  • Learning from Lincoln: Leadership Practices for School Success
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Driven by Data: A Practical Guide to Improve Instruction
  • Clean Getaway
  • Dirt: Adventures, with Family, in the Kitchens of Lyon, Looking for the Origins of French Cooking