Start by marking “School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results” as Want to Read:
School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results

School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  336 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
What does research tell us about the effects of school leadership on student achievement? What specific leadership practices make a real difference in school effectiveness? How should school leaders use these practices in their day-to-day management of schools and during the stressful times that accompany major change initiatives? Robert J. Marzano, Timothy Waters, and Bri ...more
Published October 28th 2005 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about School Leadership That Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School Leadership That Works

Alex T.
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
I was first introduced to Marzano, Waters, and McNulty's work in 2014 as a new graduate student in an educational administration program. We focused on the 21 responsibilities they identified and discussed application. Having now read the entire book (instead of just the responsibilities) I feel I have a greater sense of the process and the need for this research to have been done. I found that their suggestions are very much in line with what other researchers and experts have identified and wo ...more
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book that shows various factors that lead to creating a school that makes tough choices to benefit each student, teacher, and community. I really enjoyed the 39 action steps and list of 21 ideals for the building/ academic principal. I will be utilizing these techniques to continue to grow as a principal.
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The big difference between Marzano and other writers is the amount of research. Wherever he was lacking, he used his access to other research to develop his philosophy further. In addition, his theories are based on the data not the other way. Easy to read and great for developing a PLC around
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
School Leadership That Works is above my paygrade as instructional coach. In using it in my position, I could use to analyze my strengths and weaknesses. There are aspects I might be able to use in support of my school and/or principal depending on goals of the school.
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Marzano and company have created a practical overview of leadership. Mariano always seems to construct an easy to use step by step approach to any type of educational theory he is discussing. I think that's what separates him from other theorists.
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
My nose is so deep into this school leadership literature these days, it is just killing me. But I have been impressed with the quality of most everything I've read this year. I have no doubt this will be right up there, as well.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a textbook on leadership. What else can I say?
Mills College Library
371.2 M3939 2005
Jan 18, 2009 is currently reading it
Currently it's just reinforcing what I've learned about from other books and reviews.
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like that it's based on research. The statistical analysis and backing on this book makes its findings so much more significant.
Jun 08, 2012 added it
I read this for a School Leadership course. Good read!
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Can't go wrong with Marzano. This is a good overview of the various leadership models, along with some Marzano data that can be overwhelming, but valuable.
Jan 24, 2011 added it
Shelves: education
Practical and well-researched.
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great, research-based info, but a very dense read!
Angelina Moehlmann
Found it interesting and helped to clarify where one might choose to invest efforts.
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't read the entire book... more of a skimming with more attention paid to certain parts. It was a good resource for my foundations class on leadership.
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
I need to re-read it now that I am in a leadership position. I find that Marzano is right on though.
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: phd
8: Interesting meta analysis of correlations between general and specific leadership activities by principals and student achievement.
Jean Hoffmann
Jun 26, 2017
Susie Chalom
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • Leading Change in Your School: How to Conquer Myths, Build Commitment, and Get Results
  • What Great Principals Do Differently: 15 Things That Matter Most
  • Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Learning and Leading with Habits of Mind: 16 Essential Characteristics for Success
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • If You Don't Feed the Teachers They Eat the Students!: Guide to Success for Administrators and Teachers
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Crosswicks Journals: A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, The Irrational Season, and Two-Part Invention
    $29.99 $3.99