Start by marking “Great Short Stories of the World: 71 of the Finest Stories Ever Written” as Want to Read:
Great Short Stories of the World: 71 of the Finest Stories Ever Written

Great Short Stories of the World: 71 of the Finest Stories Ever Written

Great short stories have been called "masterpieces in miniature," and here, carefully selected for your pleasure by the Editors of the The Reader's Digest, are more than seventy that are among the finest examples of the storyteller's art. Many stories are American and British, but the distinguished authors of sixteen other nations are also represented. The result is a rich ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 799 pages
Published February 1st 1972 by The Reader's Digest Association

Vikram Karve
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fiction
I feel that his anthology of short fiction is a must for the bookcase of every creative writer - and essential reading for every person who loves literature - especially short fiction.
The book features a selection of 71 short stories from accomplished creative writers of the world - duly translated in English where required.
Each story is unique, conveys a powerful message, and is a lesson in creative writing.
I first read this book in 1991 and these stories introduced me to many authors I had not
Paul
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-fiction
My mom and dad both passed away in the last year, my mom more recently. In going through their stuff, I found this book. Purely by accident I found written on the flyleaf page that my mom had given me this book for Christmas in 1972. I never read it, probably because it was not science fiction, and I was also fifteen years old (I'm smarter now).
This book has some good stories. There were a few favorites I'd read before.
It's titled "...of the World". There were a few Indian authors, but nothing
Chris Waterford
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A range of stories from one star to 5 stars. The best of them were by Frank O'Connor and Hernando Tellez. Most were less than great.
Edwin Martin
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The hard thing about short stories is; if you have time to read more than one in a day or especially in a sitting, you don't have time to get the first one in your "long term" memory and you forget it a week later. This collection has a lot of stories less than 10 pages so it would be good for someone who only has an hour or less per day to read. My favorites were:

Vanka by Chekhov, Young Archimedes by Huxley, Little Bouilloux Girl, Maternity by Nakos, A Letter To God by Lopez y Fuentes, The Hun
Melody
Nov 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This classic collection of short stories showcases some of the finest authors of the early 20th century, but not necessarily their best work. There are a few very good short stories interspersed among some mediocre ones, but their mediocrity stems more from a lack of good plot development than from poor writing. A nice book to pick up for a few minutes before going to bed or even moving on to another book.
Laura Verret
Mar 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-sale
A tremendous collection of short stories from the best of this genre's authors. I always knew that I liked short stories (especially O. Henry's) but this collection really proved to me how powerful and involving a short story can be - how quickly you can be immersed in and captured by the setting, characters, etc. I also picked up on a few tips for my own short stories. :)
Karen
Feb 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked many stories in this collection, and felt it was worth reading, although there were a few that were pretty tepid.
J Crossley
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a compilation of short stories from countries around the world.
Jackie
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Everyone of these stories has some kind of special for which they got selected. I especially liked "Young Archimedes," by Aldous Huxley, one of nine condensed stories.
Juergen John Roscher
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of short stories compiled by the Reader's Digest Association. Some stories were old friends that I have read many times such as Shirley Jackson's 'The Lottery', M.R. James "The Mezzotint, and James Thurber's 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty'. Other stories were new to me and will be come a part of my reading plan such as Gabrielle Roy's 'Luzina Takes a Holiday', Santha Rama Rau's 'Who Cares?' and D.H. Lawrence's 'The Rocking-Horse Winner.'

There are short-stories from Hemin
Richp
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I rate this a low four, as several stories are much lesser quality than a number of other stories by the same author. The world represented here is mostly the English speaking one, and almost all of the rest from other European settlers, so do not expect much insight into non-European thinking. Several stories are condensed in this volume.

Given the age and wide distribution of this volume, there are likely many cheap copies around; I paid a buck plus tax for mine.
Spencer
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very interesting collection from some of the most recognized names in literature. So far, very interesting.

Finished and it was well worth each page. The short story format is amazing as it takes you through a whole concept in such a short manner yet is so intriguing. I would recommend this to anyone interested in the many well-known and not so well-known authors.
Jessica
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I very fortunately found this book on my mother's bookshelf when I was in grade school and read right through it. It introduced me to amazing authors and taught me just how well-written and complete in itself a short story could be.
Partridge Public
Readers Digest 1072
Sharon Thurnell
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful mixture of writers.
Mahesh Prasad
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it
first time i'm giving any importance to short stories.learned that they can be fun as reading a novel
Jai

• Collected Poems
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • The Best Short Stories
  • Mishima: A Biography
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but