Start by marking “The Traitors” as Want to Read:
The Traitors

The Traitors

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Adam has betrayed his best friend and now he must face the consequences. His punishment is 274 years in the Dial, a prison in a no-time world, where teenage traitors are forced to atone for their crime. It's a terrible place, ruled over by a cruel despot, where every day is a struggle for survival - and escape.
Published August 5th 2012 by Scholastic (first published April 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Traitors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traitors

Adelene Chiam
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is one of the most awesome Scholastic books that I have ever set my eyes upon. And I would have given it five stars max were it not for some ludicrous concepts and a far-fetched, illogical ending.

Why I like the book:
1) The Dial. The whole setting is breath-taking. Well, the plan image for the prison helps a lot in stimulating the mind's eye, of course. But the ideas for the prison is well-invented, creative and it shows the dexterous capability of the author to illicit inspirational fr
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
An Act is Committed
When I first started reading Traitors by Tom Becker, I had no idea what to expect and I had no idea if this was going to be a book that I would enjoy or one that would fall short. Fortunately, I found myself truly enjoying it. This book holds a unique plot that kept me interested and captivated. If you knew that your betrayal could land you punished for a hundred years, you would probably think twice before you ever betrayed again. This book is full of powerful messages, such
chucklesthescot
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Adam kissed his best friend's girl and was responsible for Danny being kicked out of school. He has Betrayed and now he has been snatched from his home to a high security prison to serve hundreds of years for his crime. But even amongst other criminals, there is one ready to betray them all to the guards for a ticket home. Who can you trust?

This was a decent YA dystopian read where a prison in a different time dimension punishes kids for betraying friends and family by locking them in prison. Th
Brogan_mace
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
(CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING)
The Traitors by Tom Becker is a refreshing and unique YA novel set in a prison aptly named The Dial (as it resembles a clock). The prison is designed to punish those who have betrayed someone and offenders usually serve sentences spanning well over hundreds of years – of course this is all in a place called 'no-time'.

The writing style employed by Becker is very unique and flows beautifully. He described things in just the right amount of detail, making it easy
Gary
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Have you ever betrayed someone before? Stabbed a person who's close to you in the back? Did you get away with it? Did your guilty conscience prick you the least bit?

Adam here has betrayed his best friend Danny. And because of that, he was captured to the Dial, a no-time place through a warphole. Sentenced to imprisonment in the Dial for 274 years, Adam has all the time in the world to repent.

Seemed like he wasn't the only traitor on planet Earth. The Dial was full of traitors, both young and old
Melissa (Book Nerd Reviews)
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Imagine being sentenced to jail for 274 years... but when you come out on the other side, you're still the same age and you only have a vague recollection of your experience inside The Dial, a prison in a notime world. That's exactly what happened to Adam. Some would say his crime may have been trivial, he betrayed his best friend in no worse a way than many teenagers do during their high school days.

Adam is tracked down by agents from The Dial, a place no one knows about on earth - if you are u
Majd Abdulghani
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Before I reached the last chapter, I was planning to give The Traitors three stars for the story as a whole and a fourth one for originality and unpredictability (my God, all the times Becker made me gasp!).
The last chapter, though, takes unpredictability to a whole new level. And not in a good way. Two words: terrible ending.

And while we're at it, the characters could have used a lot more depth. Oh, and SO MANY things didn't make sense, add up, and/or weren't explained. AND THERE ISN'T EVEN A S
Marcey Z
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Ranjan Sharma
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Title: The TRAITORS
Authors: TOM BECKER
Story elements: DIAL, a prison situated nowhere in space.
The main character in this book is Adam and he is not a nice character because he betrayed his best friend and kissed his girlfriend.
Another character is Doughnut he is Adam’s new friend in the DIAL.
Another character is bookworm who is stays in the library for the whole time and reads books and he is Adam’s new friend too.
Adam betrayed his friend and the agents from dial took him to dial for betrayin
Nicolle
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Larissa
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
The radio message could have been a fluke, even the letter could be taken for a joke, but a giant zeppelin on an abandoned beach can not be ignored. When a stupid mistake, a thoughtless act breaks apart a friendship, the traitor must be punished, and the only way for a traitor to learn their lesson is imprisonment on the Dial.

No one on the Dial is innocent, all have betrayed someone, been a traitor to someone, and all are paying for their actions. Life on the Dial is slow, existing outside of ti
Tim Roast
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a prison where traitors go called the Dial (so called because it resembles a clock with two walkways in the middle, like hands of a clock, and 12 wings which these hands connect to). Thus if a child betrays someone, e.g. Adam, the main character in the book, kisses his best friend's girlfriend which gets his best friend expelled from school because he trashed a lab in anger, then they get taken to the Dial to spend an eternity in the prison - although because it is in no-time ...more
Nur Fathiah
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Not happy with the ending though. Adam should've just entered the warphole and reunite with his family, back on earth. And Jessica, well she shouldn't make such decision to be trapped in the Dial for eternity. We all make mistakes, so what. That'll make us to be a better person next time. Experience taught us valuable lesson. I can't imagine being stucked in no-time for eternity. How would they get food supply if they're going to be trapped forever? I hope the Commandant was still alive to get t ...more
Sally
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Although I found some of the ideas in this book very silly to start off with, I soon found myself accepting these ideas and actually started to enjoy the story. The book was nothing like I expected and it was constantly suprising me with shocking new twists and turns in the plot which made me happy to keep reading. I also found the writing style very good and it flowed very well which made for easy reading.
Shyra
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I really loved the idea behind this book and I was willing to give it four stars, but the ending was really a disappointment considering how this book doesn't have a sequel. It still raises questions on whether the two inmates were saved in the end or if they survived on the remaining food rations and basically, what happens next?
Jackie
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Books like The Traitors are very hard to come by. Usually when an author tries to write a book about relations between the real world and the fantasy world, it is very hard to not go overboard. What Tom Becker did was incredible, a heart moving ending with plot twists popping up everywhere in the book. Would definitely recommend book to peers.
Madeline Hilditch
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
mira.
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
its a lil bit frustrating when Adam's chose to stay behind until the warphole closed just for one girl! even the Commandant's said don't leave anyone behind.... ahhh. other than that, its okay. kind of nice story afterall.
Ellen
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen, fiction
I'm sure that this book would be very good if you are aged 9 - 12, but PLEASE IGNORE THE RATING TEEN ON THE BACK OF THE BOOK, most teenagers will find this book very immature and simplistic. The plot is not bad, but as I said anyone over the age of 13 will just be bored.
Louise
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
My favourite book to date. I loved the plot, and writing style and i was completely immersed from the first page. I found some of the things a bit confusing at first, but I found that by re-reading it they made sense.
Alkasu Misuto
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Magda
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When the beam of light abruptly winked off, the vortex collapsed, shrinking to a tiny orange dot before disappearing completely, leaving the sky a flat pond of midnight.

"What's a promise worth in a prison full of traitors?"
Tasfia Rahman
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A loved this book. Once I started it, I just couldn't stop. I really really hope that there is a second part to this, because I will love to know if Adam and Jessica ever get out of the dial...
Aikaterina
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked reading this book because it was interesting, sad but also humorous at times.
Chloe
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
brilliant and very clever!!!! definatly one of my favourites!!
Francesca
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Predictable
jus
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
you have no idea how much i love this book
Dyane Basinger
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a bleak existence, but such a cleverly constructed story. Worth its place on the BASH longlist.
Clairysse
Interesting ending. Not how I thought it would end. Was a bit rushed, in my opinion, but the plot was very, very good.
Pinky Cat
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't like that a stupid betrayel would put him through all this. It could be more griping and mysteries.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Secrets of the Henna Girl
  • Mortal Chaos (Mortal Chaos, #1)
  • Socks Are Not Enough
  • The Feral Child
  • Witch Crag
  • Mister Creecher
  • Divorced And Deadly
  • MetaWars: Fight for the Future
  • The Vampire Underground (Grisly High #1)
  • All Fall Down
  • Six Days
  • Love & Freedom
  • The Eyes of the Desert Sand (Chrysalis Chronicles #1)
  • Black Arts (The Books of Pandemonium #1)
  • History Without the Boring Bits
  • Happily Never After (The Grimm Chronicles #2)
  • Eleven (The Last Thirteen #3)
  • Forbidden to Love (The Erosians, #1)
Tom Becker grew up in a market town in the northwest of England, dreaming of becoming a writer. He won the 2007 Waterstones' Children's Book Prize with his first novel, Darkside, and has continued to blur the lines between history and fantasy in brooding adventure and horror stories such as The Traitors and While The Others Sleep. He has also published an adult novel, The Cold Tap, on Kindle under ...more
More about Tom Becker...