Start by marking “Enemy in Blue (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers #1)” as Want to Read:
Enemy in Blue (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers #1)

Enemy in Blue (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers #1)

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  370 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
YOU KNOW WHO YOUR ENEMY IS?

The streets aren't safe when your enemy wears a blue uniform and a gold badge.

What if the good guys weren't good?

What if a cop went rogue and killed an innocent man?

What if it was all caught on video and the cop would do anything to cover it up?

Published May 2011 by Rogue Books, LLC

The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
2,900 books — 3,419 voters
Catch-22 by Joseph HellerAnimal Farm by George OrwellAll the President's Men by Carl BernsteinThe Godfather by Mario PuzoThe Gang Bust by Dorothy May Mercer
Corruption in High Places
271 books — 258 voters

More lists with this book...

Elise Stokes
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
(Not suitable for readers under 18)

I must admit, while reading the initial grisly scene in Enemy In Blue, I thought, “My, Derek Blass is taking some artistic license here. I mean, this Shaver, all these witnesses. Come on, who would do this?” Quickly I realized that’s the point. The antagonist, Colin Shaver, represents individuals in our society who lack empathy and remorse and are bent on dominance and control, playing by their own twisted set of rules to gain it. Shaver, who Blass eloquently d
Kathy Hall
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
For action, body-count and digging into the underworld of police politics - this is really a great read. However, I think the best asset of the novel is the incredible drawing of the antagonist - the evil Sergeant Shaver really shines.

Throughout the novel, this is the guy who drives the story. Shaver is persistent, tough and thoroughly without redemption. He steps off the page and into your life and you just know there's a real life Shaver out there in the world.

The action is unending - there is
Julie
Dec 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
it was awful and I stopped about 50 pages in
Kat Collins
Jul 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
I have to say I was a bit disappointed in this book. While the premise of the book is intriguing and has lots of promise, the author doesn't quite deliver. It's a story of a corrupt police force that is radically bent towards discrimination of anyone not of the White class. It is police brutality at its worst. The plot of the entire book is based on this theme. Think "Rodney King" magnified by a thousand. A violent crime committed by a police officer towards an unarmed, elderly Hispanic man is w ...more
Tami
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The guys in blue are supposed to be the good guys. What if they aren’t? What one cop went rogue and took matters into his own hands? What if this vigilante justice, corruption, and racism ran much deeper than just one man?

A cameraman shooting one of those reality cop shows tags along on what seemed like a pretty routine night. At first, he’s focused on getting the best angles for the greatest effect. Then, suddenly he is told to turn off the camera. Point blank, one of the cops shoots an old man
Andy Angel
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This first novel from Debut author Derek Blass really hits all the right buttons.
We start off with a raid on a latino families home that goes to hell when one of the occupants is shot by the Police Seargent (Shaver - a particularly despicable person). The raid is being filmed by a tv station for a police documentary type show.
What follows, for the first part of the book, is a high octane chase for possession of the video - Shaver and various others want it so they can bury it, the good guys have
Sue Owen
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a page-turner from beginning to end. I had some trouble following the main characters but figured it out after a bit. The plot was complicated but put together nicely and the secrets interwoven good. There was one place that could have used some clarification; the Mexican standoff part. I would have liked to have more drama there. Was ready for a monster fight but felt disappointed.

I really liked the way the author put this all together and made it all fit. There wasn’t a lot of time wa
Zoe Saadia
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
That was a wild ride!

I enjoyed reading "Enemy in Blue" very, very much. The action never slacked, never slowed down. It was a wild ride, laced with strong, complicated characters and important social issues that our society is facing whether we like to admit it or not. I grew truly attached to them all, even the bad guys, as none was one-dimensional, none was flat.
Following their struggle, their mounting troubles that took them all over the Southwest and over the Mexican border, I stayed on the
Tima
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This book reads like a more detailed version of a Law & Order episode. It has the crime that was committed and the details for the first half of the book. Then the second half is about the trial.
It was fast paced, full of relevant details and edge of your seat action.
I really, really enjoyed reading this book. And I know that it's the type of book that my husband will enjoy as well.

It's obvious that the author has done his research. Most books are about either the police part of a crime or
Ashley
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book! Blass keeps you engaged and wondering what’s going to happen next throughout the story.

I work in a law firm so I’m familiar with a lot of the lingo and procedures and it’s extremely refreshing for an author to actually get it right. However, I believe this book can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their legal background, or lack thereof.

The story is great, although at times it seemed to jump around a bit, and I didn’t feel like anything was left unresolved or any questions left u
J.J. Toner
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent debut novel, that portrays one US police force as thoroughly corrupt and alarmingly out of control. For a while there, while reading the book, I had to keep reminding myself that it was fiction. Even now, several months after I've finished it, I am left with the horrific notion that it might have held a grain of truth. I hope not. The story comes right in the end, btw, but it's a thrilling, shocking ride. Well worth a read.
David Felder
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable read. Almost two books in one, the first about a crime and the protagonists' quest to capture the offenders. The second is the ensuing trial.

Lots of action and a few surprises. Think you can guess what's going to happen next? Sometimes you're right and sometimes you're surprised.

Well-written and hard to put down.
Val Wilkerson
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Fast moving story about some of the police force who are
racist, to the point of killing mexicans. A camera man happens
to catch one of the killings on film, he gives the film to a
reporter, good cops are being killed.....it gets into the court
scene, a bad judge, pretty interesting story, attention keeper.
Cindy
Jan 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book started out pretty well but went downhill rapidly. The narrative is choppy and sometimes hard to follow, and the characters hyperbolic. Shaver is especially unbelievable, and the other characters aren't much better. I persisted through 75% of the book and stopped. It wasn't worth the time to finish it. I'm not sure how it got five stars from some reviewers.
Sandra Lavallee
Feb 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
I thought the premise for the story was interesting. But the writer's style was inconsistent. After a confusing beginning, part way through the book the writer would sometimes tell the story from one characthers view and then tell the same part of the story from a different character's view.
Toye Brown
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. If you love crime/cop novels this one will not disappoint you. I happen to love crime novels and this was up there with the best of them. I highly recommend this as a 'must read'. Great job, Derek. I look forward to reading your next one.
Judy Wise
Oct 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
I did not finish this book. There were so many characters and the theme of so many bad cops started to get to me. When I can put a book down and leave it even for a day, it is time to start on a new books. There are too many books for me to struggle to read this one.
Brianne
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy from the first reads giveaway.

Extremely well written debut! It was fast-paced and had a believable, intense storyline. I can't wait to read more from this author!
Peter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would definitely recommend it. It starts out pretty fast and doesn't slow down through the ending.
Regina Puckett
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Enemy in Blue is a thrill ride from the beginning to the end. I may never look at a man in a uniform the same ever again. This is great material for a movie.
The CurvyJones
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge-2011
Lulu
Aug 23, 2011 marked it as to-read
I won this book from the first reads giveaways and I am so excited to read it. Thanks.
Shane Cormier
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this read. Thank you for the book. Looking forward to what is next
Florence Primrose
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
One policeman, Martinez, has a video of Shaver shooting an old man for no reason. At the same time several other police were killed.

Now Shaver is on trial for killing the old man. The judge is crooked and the video of the killing cannot be admitted as evidence.

And the population is protesting. Interesting story of corruption in the police department.
L.E.Olteano
WhoA!! Ok so as I've said it a few times already, I'm a big fan of detective/police related books/shows, I eat up all those documentaries on cases, solved or not yet solved, reality shows where a crew follows a team and stuff, thrillers of all sorts. I'm a fan of seeing law enforcement, well, enforce law, in a non-abusive way. It builds my trust in the notion of civilized society and it gives this sense of security, you know? I mean that's the whole point of the "guards" in the philosophy of Pla ...more
Scott Bury
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A tough story, a great read by a brave author

With Enemy in Blue, Derek Blass does what indie authors should do: he ignores conventions and tells a tough story the way it deserves to be told.

I don’t know why I’ve been reading so many cop stories lately. I’ve begun to notice that many of the authors seem to be trying to write an episode of their favourite cop TV show. They’re often formulaic and boring.

Enemy in Blue is anything but formulaic. It’s very cinematic in its set-up and description, but
ThrillersRockT
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Do you know who your enemy is?

The streets aren't safe when your enemy wears a blue uniform and a gold badge.

What if the good guys weren't good?

What if a cop went rogue and killed an innocent man?

Chase this lawless cop through the streets and to a scintillating series of showdowns with Cruz Marquez, a young attorney trying to nail down his enemy in blue.

Will justice be served?

With the opening of “Enemy In Blue”, Blass
Marybeth (Manhattan Reader)
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review, i-own
First, I want to start off on why I picked this book to read in the first place. When Blass asked me, I immediately said yes because I am Hispanic. It may seem like a stupid reason, but really, it isn't. I don't read a lot of books that have Latino characters as the central figure, because let's be honest, the YA and most of the adult market is primarily dealing with white men and women. Just look at what's on the NYT Best-Seller List or any top rated book list; there probably won't be that many ...more
Daph L
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: coyer-challenge
Wow, this book was like an HBO cop show on crack cocaine! It is NOT for the faint of heart. There is a lot of violence in it and I'd say strong language, but that term doesn't begin to cover it. This is for mature readers, without a doubt. It's a high-octane thriller and it kept me turning the virtual pages but I can't say that I honestly loved it. I am not sure I even really liked it. Things just seemed a little far-fetched at times -- like how one of the evil guys escaped certain death it seem ...more
Rick Bylina
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Empty your bladder, have your favorite drink ready, sit in your comfy chair, and read. Don't stop. That is the only way to get through Enemy in Blue by Derek Blass. If you stop reading and think about this story, you might not finish it. Suspension of disbelief is lacking because there are so many plot holes throughout. I will not list them in deference to the people who love thrillers that rely on the constant building of hate for characters and unbridled violence to keep themselves entertained ...more
Q&A with Derek Blass: Questions about Enemy in Blue 1 6 Aug 22, 2011 09:06PM
  • A Lighter Shade of Gray
  • Running of the Bulls (Fifth Avenue #2)
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • Wearing the Spider
  • At the Heart of the Gospel: Reclaiming the Body for the New Evangelization
  • Choke on Your Lies
  • As the Crow Dies ("Jason Crow" West Texas Mystery, #1)
  • Ascension Day
  • Allison
  • Anti-Depressant: A Novel
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • Proximity: A Novel of the Navy's Elite Bomb Squad
  • Killer In The Hills (A Jack Rhodes Mystery Book 2)
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • The Ninth District (Volume 1)
  • No Time To Run (Michael Collins, #1)
  • Cloudburst (Art Jefferson, #1)
  • Shake the World: It's Not About Finding a Job, It's About Creating a Life
Derek is an author and attorney in Denver, Colorado. He graduated from Duke University and the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. He majored in English and Economics at Duke. In Colorado, Derek has served as the co-Chair of Mayor Hickenlooper's Denver Latino Commission, and was recently selected to serve as a co-Chair of the Denver Chapter of the Colorado Latino Forum. Derek was named as a ...more
More about Derek Blass

The Cruz Marquez Thrillers (3 books)
  • Enemy in Blue: The Trial (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers #2)
  • Allegiance (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“A knot grew in his chest.  All signs of weakness, nerves, stress.  He looked around him at the true examples of men—at least it seemed that way. Six years ago he had graduated from New York University, around the middle of his class in film school.  He quickly learned that the middle meant “unemployable.” 0 likes