Start by marking “One Day I Saw a Black King” as Want to Read:
One Day I Saw a Black King

One Day I Saw a Black King

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  660 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
"He stared at himself in the mirror, wondering how he'd managed to lose track of time. Complacency had managed to set in again. . . A decent job, warm home, food on the table, and a body to curl up next to at night; he'd made the mistake of getting comfortable. Comfort fooled him into thinking it was all good when it wasn't. Damn nightmares had a way of reminding him of th ...more
Published September 17th 2003 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about One Day I Saw a Black King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day I Saw a Black King

Tracy Darity
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for One Day I saw A Black King by J. D. Mason. It was another great read by an author whose work I am thoroughly enjoying. It is the sequel to Don’t Want No Sugar. The entire time I was reading I kept thinking of my favorite poem, Celebration, written by Mari Evans. One verse reads:

I be bringing a whole heart
and while it do have nicks and
dents and scars,
that only make me lay it down
more careful-like
An; you be bringing a whole heart
a little chipped and rusty an'
sometime skip a beat but
Nardsbaby Reader
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
People like Us

I cannot even begin to tell you how long this book has been on my shelf. After reading one or two of J.D. Mason’s other titles, I decided it was time to read what was already on my shelf. I’m really glad that I did, while I’m also disappointed that I waited so long.

In two separate stories we meet children John and Connie, who both find themselves homeless. While John’s life begins with his maternal grandmother meeting his needs, he longs to be loved, something she’s incapable of
Shawnette
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A Well Crafted and Worthy Read

Amazing how the events of our childhood can shape and affect our future. John and Connie were two individuals with very similar backgrounds. To say that each of them had hard lives is an understatement.~~~~~~~What I really enjoyed about this book was that it was a realistic love story in the way Connie and John's love developed. Through all their problems and baggage they found comfort in one another and conquered their demons. The ending (which I won't give away) c
Amanda
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Very captivating! I found myself not wanting to put it down! I loved the transition from "Don't Want No Sugar" into this novel. I just found myself wanting more and more of John King. I would suggest reading DWNS first. It will make the story line much more easy to follow. JD Mason has once again created a masterpiece! I have already started the next book in the series "You Gotta Sin to Get Saved."
Lisa
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved the way this book was written two broken people finding love and acceptance with each other. A lesson of love, time wasted and forgiveness. Ending takes you for a loop and makes you say hmmm? Would definitely recommend.
Demetreial Moore
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book just as much as I enjoyed And On The Eight Day She Rested. This book was good and not easy to put down, although I had to. anyway I loved how the writer brought the characters together... at first I was "like" where is she going with these characters popping up here & there & everywhere, but then I was like okay cool although we never found out what happened to Charlotte, Shay and did anyone ever think that John was responsible for Roberta's death. Again I did like th ...more
Alice
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becoming Born Damned

This read pairs the journeys of two - one born from rape and one born in abusive poverty and how we (society) culturally abuse them from birth of their circumstances not of their making. Until we eliminate this cultural fault, we must continue to read about the horror it rains in the victims lives.
AshS
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, decent read.
Robyn
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! J.D. Mason is a wonderful author. All of her stories are worth reading.
A'ndrea Wilson
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
J.D. Mason hits a home run with her novel One Day I Saw a Black King. The story follows the lives of John King and Connie Rodgers, two displaced people who long for human connection, but don't know how to achieve it. Meeting and falling for each other becomes like a game of tug-of-war, a mental and emotional back and forth, attempting to overcome their fears, pasts, and the walls surrounding their hearts. To live the life they want, they'll have to give up the world they've built to survive. Too ...more
J
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
(FROM JACKET)John King was an outcast from the day he was born. His teen mother died in childbirth, and his grieving grandmother, Mama Agnes, never forgave him for it. John never knew his father or the murky circumstances surrounding his birth, but he heard the whispers that floated when he came around. Finally, at the age of fifteen, after his grandmother kicks him out, he leaves the home carrying his shame and a woman's death on his shoulders.

Connie Rodgers was abandoned by her mother and sepe
Dee
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this one a while ago. It's actually the first book in JD Mason's series about John, Connie, Reesy, Charlotte, etc. I actually read the Prequel, Don't want no Sugar, first, and I would suggest that order to anyone who hasn't read these books yet. It's an amazing series. There are 4 or 5 books. You won't be disappointed.

I didn't like this book as much as I did Don't Want No Sugar but it was still really good!
Jeanetta Glass
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WTH... "John knew that Adam hadn't raped that girl. The other part of the truth would go to the grave with Moses." I read books 2 and 3 before this one and I don't remember "the other part of the truth..." This book did answer questions that I had at the end of book 3. Excellent character development and a great story! Mrs. Cora Lewis's recommendations were spot on as usual. (She's my high school English teacher and the reason I'm a bibliophile more than 25 years later!)
Tricia
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. It took me a little more than 2 days to read. I couldn't put it down. It's so well written that you are able to follow the characters and feel what they feel. I like how the book flows freely with the other books, yet at the same time, it's strong enough that they stand on their own. So even if you read the books out of sequence, you still get a very good story. I have never read a J. D. Mason book that I didn't like, this one is no exception.
Wendy
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Once I started reading this book lots of things seemed familiar. Then I realized that I actually read the sequel first. Although I read them out of order, this book was a really enjoyable read. The characters seem so real that you want to know what is going to happen to them next. If you enjoy reading series books start with this one and follow the characters.
Mary Ann
Nov 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get into this story. I read the back cover and thought it had potential, but I couldn't find the "voice" of the story--the voice was jumping from character to character, and the story jumped around as well.
Norahs
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dealing with issue is important and this theme ran throughout the book. You will be challenged in areas. John king has many personalities. Was it rightfully so or did he use it as a crutch? This book will keep you engaged. Great read.
Tara Taylor
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book it was a change from my normal vampire/shifter attraction the characters were deep and made you care. I picked up the sequel and read it in one day and I cant wait to get my hands on the last book.
Shavaugn
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
An amazing read in my break from academic stuff. The story is captivating and the style of writing puts you right there with the characters. Should be read AFTER "Don't Want No Suga" by the same author.
Scarlette
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this book. The characters came to live and the story unfolded in the most beautiful way. I'm going to remember this book for a long time.
Carefree Toni
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good writing.

It's an interesting look into how your past shapes your future in ways you sometimes cannot get past (no pun intended). A great book for looking at how relationships can/can't work.
Tanisa Bernard
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mason is so motivating, i keep pushing toward a new day waiting on her next novel:)!
Angie
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I actually cried when I read this book. No words
L
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a really great book, just wondering what it was that Moses took to the grave with him.
Toni
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2013
I'm late on reading this author, but I'm glad I finally started reading her books.
Torchia
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I truly love J.D. Mason's books. Addictive
LATONYA WILSON
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
It was okay. I had an unanswered question at the end.
Butterflyy
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book!
Brandy S.
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! The pages flowed like water!
Sheila
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
  • I Know Who Holds Tomorrow
  • Blind Ambitions
  • Sisters & Lovers
  • Never Enough (View Park, #2)
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • It's a Thin Line
  • Leslie
  • Dangerously in Love
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
  • When Love Calls, You Better Answer
  • Satin Doll
  • Jezebel
  • This Bitter Earth (Sugar Lacey, #2)
I started with a goal in mind, and I prayed. “Lord, just let me be able to write books for 10 years. If I can write for 10 years, I can finish 10 books. And then I’ll retire.” I feel like I’m just getting warmed up, so I definitely think I need another 10 years.

J.D. Mason has been writing professionally for more than a decade, beginning with her first novel “And On The Eighth Day She Rested” which
More about J.D. Mason...

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland