Start by marking “The Celts” as Want to Read:
The Celts

The Celts

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  331 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
THE CELTS is the 2000-year epic story of the North European civilization that rivaled Greece and Rome for richness, diversity and power. Originating with fierce naked warriors who collected enemy heads as war trophies, the Celts eventually made their influence felt from the Middle East to the Atlantic, bringing with them a unique culture and mythology, and a style of art c ...more
Published December 6th 2002 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Celts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Celts

Reinhold
Dec 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So interessant kann Geschichtsunterricht sein

Die Kelten haben die europäische Geschichte entscheidend mitbestimmt - schließlich haben sie einst sogar Rom erobert - dennoch ist das Wissen über diese Volk sehr lückenhaft - das liegt wohl daran, dass Geschichte immer schon von Siegern geschrieben wurde. Dennoch gelingt es Gerhard Herm mit diesem Werk, das Volk wieder erstehen zu lassen und uns sehr viel scheinbar verlorenes Wissen wieder zu vermitteln.

Herm lässt kaum ein Thema aus. So schreibt er ü
Gabriel Vidrine
Sep 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was a major letdown, and I did not read it all. First of all, through the first three chapters or so, I kept wondering when the book would be about the Celts. There was a chapter about Romans, another one on Greeks, and then another one apparently about Atlantis, but there really wasn't much on Atlantis in there anyway. Sure, I know that the Romans' and the Celts' history are intertwined. But I have to say that I really don't care how the Romans think the Celts lived. I want to know wh ...more
Joe White
This is not a rigorous archeological investigation of a culture or people. The author relies on literary sources, particularly Roman ones, to relate how external cultures perceived various Celtic groups. There appear to be good maps, but the author doesn't tie any investigation by historical sequence to the maps presented.

As opposed to more recent in depth analysis of Norse and Viking culture, where elements that constituted a lifestyle are presented in a context where those elements expand to t
Todd Price
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I in no way possess any substantial knowledge of ancient history. A working knowledge, but no expertise. I am certain that to a Celtic historical/anthropological/archaeological expert, this book would be about as basic as "The American Revolution for Dummies" would be to an early American historian. However, for the novice, or even the "curious", I think this is an excellent introduction to the Celtic people. As a culture, they seem mysterious, and are greatly misunderstood, mostly owing to the ...more
Scott
Dec 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Mr. Herm is German, and a professional documentary film maker. He tells an intriguing tale of a Indo-European people called the Celts, closely related to the Italians. The Celt set of languages was also closely related to Latin, and the Celt history was one of constant expansion, and forced migration. Ultimately though, this book is flawed, because no one speaks for the Celt except the Celtic enemy. Because the Celts maintained all their governance, history and religion in a spoken language, the ...more
Heather
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I learned so much from reading this book. The writing style is quite a bit denser than the pop-culturish history books written these days to please the masses - but as opposed to that genre, you actually learn something when you read this book. Lots of things.

I would've given it five stars, but it lended almost to the too-dense side. Some specific problems included: not understanding the place name references (he'd use province names or old place names that unless you were a historian or devote
Michael
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I'm sure that some of the theories about the development of Celtic culture are outdated and perhaps disproved (as this book was published in 1975), it is still a great introduction not just to the study of this one culture, but also to the study of ancient Europe as well. I thoroughly enjoyed its dissection of ancient history, despite its lackluster finish of a half-hearted discussion of Irish missionaries and the Arthurian legend.
H.L. Stephens
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book had such a comprehensive and visual description of the Celtic people in the light of history, especially in their campaigns in Italy and Europe. I learned aspects of their conquests I never could have imagined. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in learning more about this forgotten people.
Velveeta
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-read
excellent and very readable resource for those interested in the early history of the celts. this is a historical and academic study, not a new age 'how to' book.
highly recommended for those who are seriously interested in the true celts and not the bastardized version of them.
Curt Hopkins Hopkins
Jul 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: celtic
Hey, when do you stop reading a book on the Celts? Give up? When the author starts gibbering on about Atlantis!
Don
Aug 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dean, Jason Huntington
Shelves: history
I read this a long time ago in a galaxy far away. My first vision of the celts, and this book set the stage for my way of looking at the Dorian Greeks, who were probably celts.
Tom
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is interestingly constructed, incorporating, especially in the later chapters, a great deal of myth and speculation (indeed, speculative fiction) from post-Celtic European literature, while attempting with some success to ground it all in historical writings from the time of the early groups of Celtic-speakers and throughout their development and expansion and eventual decline. It raises a skeptical eyebrow on numerous occasions; but, overall, it fascinates, informs, and whets the appe ...more
Paul Mcbride
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book even though it was not what I thought it would be. The author uses philology (which makes sense, being that the Celts are more a linguistic grouping) with points highlighted through archaeological finds and historic texts. Some parts seemed a tad assumptive and the links made may seem strenuous but the case is laid out well, considering what the purpose of the book is.
Maya
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celtic-history
I found the book a bit too flowery, and at the same time too confusing for the beginner. The author chose moments in the history of the Celts to talk about, then he talks about history chronologically only to go back to choosing moments.
Palomablue
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
A curiously unenlightening story of the Celts filled with speculations, spurious linkages, and a dearth of footnotes or proof for assertions which appeared, at the time I read it (1981), to go against prevailing information, but not compelling supportive arguments.
George
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although some of the theories presented are out dated, I still found this to be very educational and a good book for anyone interested in Celtic studies.
Davide
non l'ho letto tutto.
Narra la storia del popolo dei celti partendo dagli incontri con i romani e i greci e proseguendo con la preistoria, parte molto meno interessante.
Maurice Halton
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A most complete and comprehensive study of European ethnic history. Don't lend your copy - I did and I never got it back. Such a spell-binding narrative.
Fred   Provoncha
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Want to know how Europe began? Read this book...fvp
Mike
Jun 08, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like swords, disembowelments
This'll teach me to wander through the Strand with a credit card. Still reading, but so far so interesting.
Brett Bydairk
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
A bit dry, but an informative history of the people, also known as Gauls.
Dustin
  • Dictionary of Celtic Mythology
  • The Mummies of Ürümchi
  • Celtic Heritage: Ancient Tradition in Ireland and Wales
  • A History of the Vikings
  • In Search of Ancient Ireland: The Origins of the Irish from Neolithic Times to the Coming of the English
  • The Lost Civilizations of the Stone Age
  • The Rise of the Greeks
  • In Search of the Indo-Europeans
Gerhard Herm was born in 1931, studied in Munich and the United States and now lives near Munich. He has produced a number of documentary films for German television on Mediterranean civilisations and his most recent book, The Phoenicians (published in England in 1975), has been translated into twenty-four languages.
More about Gerhard Herm

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis