Start by marking “Emancipation of Robert Sadler, The: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave” as Want to Read:

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  294 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
Over fifty years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Robert Sadler was sold into slavery at the age of five--by his own father. This is the no-holds-barred tale of those dark days, his quest for freedom, and the determination to serve others born out of his experience. It is a story of good triumphing over evil,
Published January 1st 2012 by Bethany House Publishers (first published June 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Emancipation of Robert Sadler, The, please sign up.

Dan Baughman This is covered in the book. He simply walked off the plantation and started a free life. I met him in the mid 1970s as he was a travelling preacher…moreThis is covered in the book. He simply walked off the plantation and started a free life. I met him in the mid 1970s as he was a travelling preacher and speaker. A wonderful, Christ-filled man.(less)

Finale
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Upon completion of this book, many thoughts began to swirl around in my mind. I made sure to take the time to thank Jehovah for all the blessing He has bestowed upon me. In my prayers, I thanked Him for placing me in this era, free from these atrocities.

The harsh reality of slavery has escaped many in this country, and remains a taboo topic. We tend to brush this subject and its realities under the rug for many reasons, depending on the audience. Most believe slavery ended when the Emancipation
Margaret
I had no idea that slavery continued in areas in the American south of different forms during the Twentieth-Century. I almost couldn't believe it and I had to google the subject; there is not a lot of information but it is definitely true. I was wondering if it was going to be dry and factual and come to find out it is written with feeling, depth and insight. This amazing man went onto being a minister of the Lord helping people of all races. His story is one that you don't want to miss.
Nandi Crawford
One of the most saddest yet happiest books I have read. To think this man endured such depravity at at such a young age yet come out of that and do great things in the name of the Lord is a blessing as well of the providence of God. What a blessed book. Bless Amazon's Kindle for having it for free. I read it in a few hours.
April
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
First, although I think this book should have been put in the category of christian literature instead of general nonfiction, it was still very worth the read. Being that as a child my mother drug me to many many pentecostal meetings the christian content didn't throw me as it may others who have never been exposed to a charismatic christian. That being said, the life that Robert Sadler lived will cause you to weep openly and realize why the souths racial problems run so deep even to this day.
In
Jenny Karraker
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very hard book to read because of the abuse these black people endured at the hands of white farmers in the early twentieth century. Often I just cried. Having family in Anderson, South Carolina and remembering that the movie Radio took place also in Anderson, that part of the world is a bit off the beaten track, and I'm not surprised that these things happened there. It was a relief when Robert finally escaped and the story began to turn around. His struggles to live consistently was ...more
Mike Moore
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
enjoyed this book a lot.....very interesting first hand account of the life of a black man from his youth in the early 1900's in the South working on a plantation as a "slave" ( the reality that a certain form of "slavery" continued to exist in the South even 40 to 50 yrs post-Civil War) until his later life when he becomes a traveling preacher and explores his deep spiritual connection to Christianity. Robert Sadler tells his story to Marie Chapian as she expertly creates a vivid picture of thi ...more
Wendy Rebecca Alexander
One of the more powerful and life changing books I have ever read. A moving memoir which will inspire anyone to live a fuller life.
Emily
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

It was fascinating reading the story of this man's experience in slavery, poverty, and new life in Jesus. It gave me new insights into understanding poverty and the African-American experience.
Julie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Julie by: Colleen Linder
What an inspirational book! Despite all the abuse and oppression Robert, his family and his people suffered, he was able to show love and forgiveness through his faith and love for Jesus. The fact that his faith was nurtured by those who were also oppressed and abused was such an inspiration to me and reminded me that no matter who we are, no matter what situations we are experiencing or how insignificant we may feel, God knows and loves us all, even those who are considered "the least" in this ...more
Thedaringshow
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
As I read this book it stirred plenty of emotion in me. Not necessarily because of the way it was written, but the story that was told. Many reviewers have captured the basis of the story and some have described the whole book. I on the other hand understands that there are flaws in editing in every book. That sometimes a sentence doesn't flow as naturally as thought out. This book hit all those points.

This book however touches on personal acceptance and change. The author who was also the main
Pegg
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-read
A heartbreaking tale. Sold into slavery at the age of five by his own father, Robert Sadler's life is one hardship after another. Separated from his sisters, he finds himself alone working in "the big house." What this little boy endured is beyond imagination.

A serious read. Escaped from the inhuman atrocities of his early years, Robert finds himself adrift in a free world he can't understand. Ignorant, scared, lonely, without hope, he becomes involved in illegal activities and escapes death by
Ryan
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, suffering
This book was both tragic and amazing.

The first half of the book was so hard to read—pulling back the curtain and giving a glimpse into what slavery was like from an inside perspective. Absolutely horrific. Robert Sadler was sold into slavery when he was just five years old—twice!—and by his own father!—and in 1916!

And as if the first half of the book wasn't enough in its own way, the second half was equally as good, having to do with his freedom from slavery and entering the ministry. Robert'
Julie Gillies
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Compelling, heartbreaking, inspiring. Unfathomably sold into slavery at the tender age of five by his abusive father, Robert Sadler endures nearly 10 years in unbearable circumstances. Escaping to freedom at 14, he is ill-equipped to deal with life and roams from place to place, and eventually turns to a life of substance abuse and crime.

Then, Robert meets Jesus, who heals his heart and utterly transforms this uneducated young man into a mighty man of God. Robert travels the nation ministering p
Renee
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I could not put the book down! One could easily dismiss this as fiction; after all, who in America sells their child into slavery> Who after being sold into slavery can find forgiveness for their parent? Robert Sadler! In the words of his friend Jack, "I believe in standing up, yes I do, I believe in being a man. I believe I has a right to be a man. But if I fill my body and my mind with hate, then I ain't a man no more... I done see'd hate, Robert, and I knows what killing is. Ain't nobody w ...more
Libby
The Emancipation of Robert Sadler is not going on the list of my favorite books. The story of a slave post emancipation is distressing and needs to be told. The part of the book that was auto-biographical I really appreciated. It was the section on ministry that really bugged me. At one point, Sadler claims that God told him to marry Jackie, a woman who was not a believer. In his story it worked out and she came to Christ, but I have a problem with a minister claiming that God spoke to him somet ...more
Ricky Callahan Jr.
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book. Once I started the first chapter, it was virtually impossible for me to put down. The story of Robert Sadler's time enslaved is just baffling to me, considering that he was sold(!) AFTER the end of Slavery. In my opinion, the "Ministry" section of the book got a bit preachy, but I guess that's to be expected from someone who lives the majority of their adult life as a preacher and devout follower of God. Still, I'd definitely recommend to anyone looking for an enga ...more
Alicia Terrill (ReadCover2Cover)
It was pretty interesting! I read it because a friend of mine is somehow related to him and lent me the book (actually, she gave it to me about 10 years ago and I finally got around to reading it). Robert Sadler's father sold him into slavery when he was just 5 years old in the early 1900s. Parts of his story were incredibly depressing, while other parts were uplifting. Overall, it was a pretty interesting story! I wish I could have met Robert Sadler. He seems like a very compelling man. I enjoy ...more
Hugh Harmon
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down. As a transplant to South Carolina with some vague familiarity with the places mentioned and acutely aware of the Dixie sensibilities that still exist towards some African Americans I found the book to be a candid explication of the peculiar struggle that the enslaved feels as they try to sort out allegiances in a context of suspicion from all quarters at the very moment of liberation.
Joyce Oliver stahle
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book touched me in a way that no other book besides the Bible.
It is hard for to imagine being sold into by my own father. Aren't Daddy's supposed to love and protect their children?
What a message of love, grace and forgiveness is found in this book.
I cried along with Robert when he lost his mom and sister.
Praise God Robert was able to rise above it. The Lord used him to touch others.
Never give up on anyone. Reach out. Care.
Trish Boese
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
4* I enjoyed this biography of Robert Sadler, who was sold by his father into slavery in 1917. The first part of the book is tragically sad, with Robert being sold and mistreated. The middle part describes his escape and how illiterate, lost, and confused he was as a free man. In the last part of the book Robert describes his ministry and the many amazing miracles the Lord worked through him.
valencia Parham
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book,

This book makes you think. That as we pray for things we want, we should humble ourselves and be thankful for what we have. We should help our fellow human, just out of the kindness of our heart. When things seem to go wrong remember God knows what He's doing and we should just have faith.
Dacia
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration, slavery
This book was excellent. In the beginning you feel angry and sadness because of the situation this poor little boy was put into. As you read further, you can't help but see the wonders of God. This man could have grown up to be bitter and hateful, but God... It is a very inspiring tale and I am very glad that I read it.
Brianna Urquidi
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the first half of this book. A young black child who's views of love and life are distorted overcomes a life of hate, slavery, and loss and learns love and faith. The second half felt rushed, and full of gaps, and a little bit preachy. But I've never read a better biography.
Holli
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very powerful story of a young boy sold into slavery at age 5 in 1917 and his journey thru life. Heartbreaking tales of the loss of people around him, yet he always maintained a positive attitude. Good book.
Karen L.
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This man suffered as a slave a half a century after the emancipation proclamation. He asked God for help, God heard this story shows the miracle of his life and freedom.
Sheri
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful, heart wrenching story about a young boy who was sold into slavery by his own father. Very touching story, and many parts were horrifying to read what he went through!!
Chris Alain Alain
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anita Schweppe
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was an eye-opener. I had no idea that slavery continued on for so long after the war. Well written and moving.
Brenda
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. I learned that child-like faith is possible and there is tremendous power available to those who demonstrate it.
Wendopolis
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've never cried so much reading a book. Awesome and amazing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • That Bird Has My Wings: The Autobiography of an Innocent Man on Death Row
  • Dreams of Africa in Alabama: The Slave Ship Clotilda and the Story of the Last Africans Brought to America
  • Is Marriage for White People?: How the African American Marriage Decline Affects Everyone
  • The Ditchdigger's Daughters: A Black Family's Astonishing Success Story
  • Take Back the Land: Land, Gentrification & the Umoja Village Shantytown
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • Invisible Chains: Canada's Underground World of Human Trafficking
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Play or Be Played: What Every Female Should Know About Men, Dating, and Relationships
  • Rosa Lee: A Mother and Her Family in Urban America