Start by marking “Convite para um Homicídio (Miss Marple #5)” as Want to Read:
Convite para um Homicídio (Miss Marple #5)

Convite para um Homicídio (Miss Marple #5)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  29,926 Ratings  ·  1,177 Reviews
Todas as manhãs entre 7:30h e 8:30h, exceto aos domingos, Johnnie Butt percorria de bicicleta o vilarejo de Chipping Cleghorn, assobiando furiosamente. À porta de todas as casas e bangalôs, parava para enfiar na caixa postal os jornais que os moradores houvessem encomendado ao Sr. Totman, que tinha sua loja na High Street...
Published 1986 by Record (first published June 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Convite para um Homicídio, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Selva Subramanian No. But that was for a really detective mind :)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Vilém Zouhar
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

James
So... a murder is listed in a newspaper... foretelling it will happen at a certain date and time. Is it possible? Yes. Does it happen? You'll just have to read it. Christie at her best... love her stories. love the concept. Well-written. I'm on a kick to go back and read all the Poirot's and Marple's this year! The best part about this one is the murder takes forever to happen... and you wonder what the real mystery is for so long. I can imagine watching the clock waiting but not knowing what to ...more
Madeline
Jul 04, 2010 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By this point, I have given up trying to play Guess The Culprit with Agatha Christie mysteries. It's just not possible. She's like a magician who tells an audience that she's going to make a coin disappear and reappear. The coin disappears, and she tells you to watch her right hand. You, who have seen magic shows before, think "Aha! Misdirection! I'll watch her left hand, and then I'll see how the trick is done." So you're watching her left hand, and everyone else is watching her right hand, and ...more
Carol.
Dec 11, 2014 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Christie, period mystery, cozys

Taken from my blog post: https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2014/...

I grew up on Christie. At the time, I was limited to whatever my local library branch physically had on the shelves, so it took awhile to work my way through her bibliography, and even now, I’m not sure I’ve read all of her books. There was that pesky problem of British and American editions with separate titles, leaving me hopelessly confused about what I’ve read. Thankfully, A Murder is Announced had the same title in both editio
Susan
Mar 30, 2017 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1950, this is one of my favourite Miss Marple mysteries. It is set in the small village of Chipping Cleghorn, which is not unlike St Mary Mead, with its cast of local characters and, of course, a local newspaper – which is delivered every Friday. On Friday, October 29th, the paper is perused by the villagers, who discover an odd message in the Personal column: “A Murder is Announced and will take place on Friday, October 29th at Little Paddocks at 6:30pm. Friends please accept this ...more
Melindam
I prefer Poirot-novels to Marple ones, but this book has always been in top 3 on my Agatha Christie favourites list.

This time I actually put myself the question "why".
It is NOT because of the investigation or the solution of the crime, even though it is very well done in the classic Agatha Christie style: red herrings are there to lead you astray; real clues are hidden in plain sight and yet elude you completely.

The answer is characterization, which is perfect: concise and revealing. Dame Aga
Adrian
Review to follow when I can get to my laptop :)

Right I now have access to a proper keyboard, so I can write my review. Now this book to me was heading for 5 stars, until one particular incident (view spoiler).
That apart it was an excellent myst
Lotte
Really enjoyed this one! Agatha Christie at her best.
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
There is nothing like settling down with an Agatha Christie, pots of tea and hot scones in the midst of winter storms....(Had pots of tea, but no scones unfortunately).

“A murder is announced and will take place on Friday, October the thirteenth, at Little Paddocks – at six-thirty p.m.” reads the advert in the local paper. The residents of Chipping Cleghorn are expecting a game of murder, but get a little more than they bargained for.

I have quite given up trying to fathom who is guilty when readi
Moira Russell
This totally has the best back jacket copy ever:

Then, as the clock chimed 6:30, the room went dark.

A gun exploded!

A body fell!

A woman screamed!

When the lights went on, a man was found lying on the floor. He was wrapped in a black cloak. He wore a black mask and he lay in a pool of blood -- dead.

(Just in case you weren't quite sure. -- DEAD.)

There had been thirteen people in the room -- thirteen witnesses who might have identified the killer.

OH BOY. These are like little deadlies.
Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
3.5★

I seem to be out of synch with most of Christie's other fans, as, in spite of the very original scene setting beginning, I don't consider this one of The Divine Christie's better works.

Other than the beginning, the other pluses were some great dialogue, learning more about life in wartime Britain. and the unintentionally hilarious mentions of old pussies!

"Ye Gods and Little Fishes," said Sir Henry, "can it be? George, it's my own particular, one and only four starred Pussy. The super Pussy
Ashley
Once again guessed the murderer by complete accident. I'm the mystery reader equivalent of those characters you often see in farces who are complete idiots (usually lovable) and bumble about doing everything so wrong they come back around and get everything right.

I really enjoyed this book, which was apparently Christie's 50th (although publishers had to count a book of short stories to make this true, and they really wanted to, because publicists never change). It starts out kind of like a gam
BrokenTune
Apr 02, 2016 BrokenTune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed

Little Paddocks is set in a typical village in the English countryside, where people enjoy the quiet life, away from the hustle and bustle of bigger towns, and where everyone knows everything that is going on in the lives of their neighbours. Or do they?

“In an English village, you turn over a stone and have no idea what will crawl out.”

I have read A Murde
Fiona
A reread for work. Happy new year, everyone.

I love Miss Marple for several reasons: most notably because she is a rural English lady with a strong sense of morality, who knits things and notices things, and she has been a role model of mine for at least a decade.

I love this book in particular, partly because it's an extremely well-written example of its genre, but mostly because as far as I can recall, it's the first book I ever read that made me think, "Huh. Those characters are clearly lesbian
Nahed.E
Apr 11, 2015 Nahed.E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يا إلهي .. ماهذه الرواية ؟
ما هذا اللغز الغريب ؟
حقا رواية في منتهي الغرابة .. إلا أن الذي يسعدني حقا إنني شككت في أمرين وقد صدق ظني (:
لا أصدق أنني توصلت للحل في منتصف القصة تقريباً ^_^
يبدو أنني بعد عشرات الروايات مع أجاثا بدأت افهم عقليتها .. أو علي الأقل بدأت تصدق توقعاتي بشأن بعض الأحداث (:
إلا أنني لن أعتاد علي هذا .. فالطبيعي هو ألا تحل شيئاً
والاستثناء أن تصدق توقعاتك في بعض الأحيان
فلقد شككت في شخصية معينة .. شخصية لا يمكن الشك فيها أبدااا وقد صدق ظني .. لكني لم أتوصل لتفاصيل الحل
وهذا ما
Wedad
Nov 04, 2016 Wedad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
لماذا البريطانيون يحبون المماطلة في الكشف عن القاتل ؟؟
أراهن على أن تحريات الجريمة في " مكان ما غير بريطانيا " كان سينتهي بغضون 24 ساعة وذلك بالقبض على جميع المدعوين وسكان المنزل وحتى ضابط الشرطة و"كفين تلاتة " ويعترف كل شخص بأنه القاتل

ولكن عموماً هذه أول مرة أرى فيها أن ثرثرة النساء والعجائز يمكن أن تجدي وتفك ملابسات جريمة
Jennifer Girardin
A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie is a classic cozy mystery with diversely interesting characters, a quick and gripping plot, and a unique story line set in the perfectly quiet English village of Chipping Cleghorn---until a murder announcement is placed into the local newspaper, casually inviting the entire village to Letty Blacklock’s home for an evening of dry sherry and murder.
Naturally everyone presumes that the advertisement was someone’s idea of fun, but when the body of Swiss rece
Sarah D
Jan 31, 2012 Sarah D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remember that rushing feeling in the good old days when you'd pick up the receiver of your kitchen phone and dangle it so that all the knots in the cord would come undone?

I am an avid reader of Agatha Christie. I mean, you'd think after reading over half of her works, I'd be able to tell who the culprit is and I did (by the third guess, but still)
However, the best thing about Agatha Christie, it's not just about finding out who the culprit is! It's about unraveling her wonderful plot of twists
Laura Verret
It seems ridiculous, but that’s what the newspaper says. “A murder is announced and will take place of Friday, October 29th at Little Paddocks, at 6:30 P.M.” The townspeople quickly accept that this must be a type of game – a novel entertainment. What they don’t know is that it’s as big a surprise to the inhabitants of Little Paddock - Letitia Blacklock and her guests.

Neighbours begin to stream in for the party. At exactly 6:30, the lights go dim, an intruder enters through the patio door, and t
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Book 6 for the Miss Marple challenge. Amidst the personal column in the Chipping Cleghorn Gazette one Friday morning is the announcement of a murder to take place at Little Paddocks that evening. Intrigued, the inhabitants of this little village head off there expecting a murder game. And at half past six, as announced, it starts with the lights going out and a sudden hold up, but things soon begin to take a serious turn as shots are fired and Miss Letitia Blacklock is grazed by one of them, and ...more
Diane
Apr 27, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Agatha Christies involving Miss Marple. The story begins with a mysterious ad in the local paper, which states, "A murder is announced and will take place on Friday, October 29th, at Little Paddocks, at 6:30 p.m. Friends accept this, the only intimation." This is the home of Letitia Blacklock and Dora Bunner, elderly spinsters who would seem to be the last sort of people to play such a joke - if joke it is. However, Ms Blacklock is game and prepares for the big night, ...more
Helen
Feb 16, 2017 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to an audio, typically brilliant and well presented.
Nandakishore Varma
A really intriguing mystery, which uses a plot device which Christie has used in many stories - yet it will be difficult to spot it. I especially loved the crucial sentence which would change its meaning based on which word the stress was put.
Hugo
Oct 21, 2015 Hugo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Ao quinto livro lido, a sensação com que fico é que talvez já tenha lido o melhor de Agatha Christie. Mas duvido que tão cedo me vá cansar destas narrativas intrincadas, dos depoimentos dúbios dos personagens, das pistas e das revelações finais.
Cyndi
Apr 25, 2017 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Miss Marple is apparently everyone's Aunt Jane. This time she is called on to find out who is trying to kill a kind woman. But the killer keeps missing and killing everyone around her.
Richard Derus
Jun 28, 2014 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***THIS REVIEW IS OF AGATHA CHRISTIE'S MARPLE, THE TV PROGRAM, ADAPTATION OF THE BOOK***

Also note that Amazon US offers the Kindle version of this story for $1.99 today, 28 June 2014!

Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: The villagers of Chipping Cleghorn, including Jane Marple, are agog with curiosity over an advertisement in the local gazette which read: 'A murder is announced and will take place on Friday October 29th, at Little Paddocks at 6:30 p.m.' Unable to resist the mysterious invitatio
Kath
Oct 08, 2015 Kath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in the Miss Marple series and my second read from Agatha Christie. I totally enjoyed And Then There Were None (ATTWN) so I've decided to read more of Christie's novels and luckily, three of my favorite bookstagramers are hosting #QueenofCrimeReadalong, an Agatha Christie-themed readalong,

Just like the residents of Chipping Cleghorn,
Bruce Beckham
Feb 16, 2014 Bruce Beckham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Infuriating! I put two and two together and came up with three!

This is an absolutely quintessential Christie; written in the author’s pomp (published 1950), when she could probably rattle off a plot in less time than it takes Miss Marple to knit a muffler. (It is a Marple mystery, by the way – and she does knit.)

I scribbled copious notes – and at an early stage I unmasked both the killer and the imposter – but for the life of me I couldn’t work out the motive.

Far from spoil the story, this state
Jonathan Vasquez
*4.5
No podía ser de otra manera, señora Christie es mi ídola.
Sarita
Jan 27, 2012 Sarita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free book, and I've never read Agatha Christie before (actually, I take that back; I think I read one in middle school or something). This was a good book to read on vacation and I appreciated the characterization. The most memorable part of this book for me was Christie's use of the word "pussies" to describe older women. Allow me to quote:
Quote #1: "Nice old Pussies and retired Colonels. Yes, if they noticed that advertisement they'd all come sniffing round at 6:30 to see what was
  • Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #12)
  • Final Curtain (Roderick Alleyn, #14)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • A Right to Die (Nero Wolfe, #40)

More about Agatha Christie...

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)

“It's what's in yourself that makes you happy or unhappy.” 46 likes
“People with a grudge against the world are always dangerous. They seem to think life owes them something. I've known many an invalid who has suffered worse and been cut off from life much more . . . and they've managed to lead happy contented lives. It's what's in yourself that makes you happy or unhappy.” 38 likes