Start by marking “Pirate Nap: A Book of Colors” as Want to Read:
Pirate Nap: A Book of Colors

Pirate Nap: A Book of Colors

What better place for naptime than a grand pirate ship on the high seas? Two boys use their imaginations to turn everyday objects, from a white bandanna to yellow coins to a red blanket, into colorful pirate treasure as they prepare for naptime. With a bouncy rhymed text and fun illustrations, this charming book teaches little ones their colors while making a great read-al ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by Clarion Books (first published September 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pirate Nap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirate Nap

Start your review of Pirate Nap: A Book of Colors
Two brothers playing pirate who don't want to take naps and a baby sister along for the ride. The rhyming text is a bit clunky in places and the colors they try to introduce are too small to really qualify as a "color concept" book. But, if you have a pirate fan in your house or your story time group, this one is fun with great illustrations.
Olivia Eaton
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Preschool - Pirate Storytime

Family - Home and Family Storytime
Alyssa Tabor
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Would work for storytime
The Reading Writing Puppet
It’s cute. It rhymes. I wish the actual colors were more focused on.
Christine Turner
What better place for naptime than a grand pirate ship on the high seas?Two boys use their imaginations to turn everyday objects, from a white bandanna to yellow coins to a red blanket, into colorful pirate treasure as they prepare for naptime. With a bouncy rhymed text and fun illustrations, this charming book teaches little ones their colors while making a great read-aloud. Even the youngest readers and listeners will want to be a part of the fun as they get ready to sail off to sleep!

www.hcpl
Barbara
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, ncbla
The adventures of two boys playing pirate in their house are described in this book written in rhyming text. I like how they use their imaginations and ordinary objects found in just about any house as they play. I also liked how the little sister gets involved in their games under the eyes of a watchful mother. After all that action and searching for treasure, it's not hard for them to be coaxed to bed. I liked the digital goauche illustrations, especially the last page where youngsters, stuffe ...more
Melanie
Two brothers are playing pirates when their mother suggests it's time for a nap. The two pirate boys run away to find other things to plunder. Baby sister becomes the sea creature that grabs and runs away with their loot.

A simple story; the rhymes are clunky. And as for it being a color concept book, I think not. Each item that is supposed to represent a color is much too small.
Becky B
A pirate adventure around the house employing imagination, rhyming words, and spying colors along the way.

Pirates definitely make colors more fun. The rhyme is well done, and the adventures take the pirates on places kids will identify as likely places in their own houses to find treasure and adventure.
Chad VanDosen
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is a great story for children. Every single page rhymes and the kids will love that and they can learn from that too. It also teaches students colors which is a great helpful tool. There is also imagination highlighted in the boys and many kids could connect that to their real lives. I would have this book in my classroom.
Sherry
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like all of the illustrations in this book and how the kids are all playing make believe at home. You could also have fun trying to find additional items in the book for the various colors besides the ones specifically mentioned.
Meredith
Two little brothers playing pirates before naptime go through the primary and secondary colors as well as three neutrals. Simple text in rhyming couplets accompany the gentle, brightly colored illustrations.
Jeanette Johnson
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved it. The illustrations are bright and vibrant. If you have kids than you can relate to all of the activities involved and the craziness of trying to get children to nap. The rhyming text is fun and the additions of it being a book about colors is a bonus.
Jj
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it
AAArgh! Pirates! Colors! A fun little book that could be used for pirate, colors, or bedtime/nap/sleep themed storytimes. This might become my new go-to after the classic Dog's Colorful Day by Emma Dodd.
Paula
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Two brothers use their imaginations to turn their surroundings--from a white bandana and yellow coins to a red blanket and even their baby sister-- into a colorful pirate adventure before naptime.
The color aspect does not add to the story
Kathleen
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I might even love this more than "Two At the Zoo"! These books are very popular with 2-3 year old and teach them about numbers and colors while still being lots of fun. The pictures are lively and the text is wonderful. They are picture books that both kids and adults can enjoy.
Beth
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book is supposed to feature colors, however the colors used in the story do nothing to enhance the story. It rhymes but it brief, terse statements. I don't think that there is a complete sentence in the entire book.
Linda
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a cute book. My boys loved it--mostly because there are 2 brothers and a baby sister, just like our family. They laughed when they pretended their baby sister was a monster because they've done the same thing! :)
Emily
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This can be a great storytime book for toddlers or preschoolers. The illustrations are bright and engaging and the rhyming text is lots of fun. It is also good for identifying the different colors. This can be used in a pirate storytime, for teaching colors or just for fun.
Jill
This is a cute story with very nice illustrations. I did have a problem with the fact that while this is supposed to be a color book, there would often be several pages that had no mention of any color, which seems weird for a color concept book. I don't think that the kids will care, though.
Heidi
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a color-concept book this was a bit unclear, but the book itself is an accurate depiction of little boys' imaginations and my toddler enjoyed it. The poetry, illustrations, and procrastination of nap time were spot on.
Diana
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Cute little book, perfect for a pirate-themed storytime. While the colors weren't as much a part of the story as I'd hoped, they're still clear enough for a parent who wishes to accentuate that element. Otherwise, it's just a fun story about kids pretending to be pirates.
Bree
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this was cute for both my 18 month old and my 6 year old. my 6 year old liked reading the easy words/sentences to the baby while i pointed to the colors with the baby. it is definitely one of the cutest books we have read in awhile. it's really hard for me to give a 5 star but this one got it!
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The book does make it through all the colors, but the way they are spaced and the way the book reads makes it feel that highlighting them was sort of shoehorned in to sell this as a concept book when it doesn't add anything to the story being told.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I loved the scene when the purple sea monster (the toddler sister with her pacifier) enters the picture.
Linda Atkinson
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Simple, rhyming text, color concepts, bold illustrations, AND pirates make this a winner for twos and up.
Mary
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cute pirate story for storytime. I like how there are 3 kids in the family. Picture books seems to have 2 or many.
Jackie
Imagination at its best. 'Pirate' brothers yo-ho-ho and argggg with all the colors, textures, and pieces of their imaginations...that is until it is time for sleep.
Sarah BT
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute concept book-combines colors with pirates who are trying to escape naptime. Lots of imagination as well. Could be great for storytime.
Stefani
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Could be used for playing pirates, colors, or naptime. Fun story whose rhymes flow smoothly.
Donalyn
Two boys, playing pirates, explore various colors while searching for treasure.

• Gerald the Lion
  • Bear's Big Bottom
  • When's My Birthday?
  • I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • It's Shoe Time! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #4)
  • Petra
  • Stretchy McHandsome
  • The Cloud Lasso
  • Little Lola Saves the Show
  • A Trapezoid Is Not a Dinosaur!
  • Cat's Colors
  • The Space Walk
SCBWI member and award-winning author of children's picture books.

Born and raised in Utah, I now live in Northern California with my husband, two grown children, and our cocker spaniel Peanut.