Start by marking “The Man With The Candy: The Story of The Houston Mass Murders” as Want to Read:
The Man With The Candy: The Story of The Houston Mass Murders

The Man With The Candy: The Story of The Houston Mass Murders

The mass murder of almost thirty young boys in Houston may well have been the most heinous crime of the century. How could such a series of murders go undetected for almost three years before being exposed? The Man with the Candy is a brilliant investigative journalist's story of the crime and the answer to that question.
Published January 1st 1974 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Man With The Candy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man With The Candy

In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonColumbine by Dave Cullen
Best True Crime
884 books — 1,358 voters
Tulia by Nate BlakesleeHush Little Babies by Don DavisOpen Secrets by Carlton StowersEvil Among Us by Ken DriggsRemembering Selena by Himilce Novas
Texas True Crimes
46 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Kara
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have read more than my share of true crime and this is by far the most horrifying and frustrating case of them all. Dean Corl," a "candy shop" owner, raped, tortured, castrated, mutilated and murdered TWENTY SEVEN boys from 1970-73 in a shitty Texas town near Houston. Some of the boys were tortured and abused for days before being murdered, by either strangulation, beating or shooting and then buried in Corl's shed. He took a teenage boy under his wing and somehow got him to assist him in the
BAM The Bibliomaniac
True Crime Commemoration # 28
Setting: 1970s Houston, Texas
RTC
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: psychologists
Shelves: crime
Oh, shit! I don't usually read these 'true crime' bks for a slew of reasons. &, now, here I am reviewing them. I'm severely disturbed by knowing about these people b/c I'm hyper-aware that they're really HERE, they're really w/ us, AND they're inside US too. I'm sickened by the people who vicariously get off on these things, who see such crimes as 'entertainment' safely viewed from a distance. There is no safe distance.

Being an introspective person, I study the psychopathology in myself - &
Nick Almand
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have to say that the most terrifying thing about the Dean Corll case is the fact that it was in large part the attitudes of the Houston Police Department and the overall culture of Houston, TX from 1970-73 that allowed Corll to murder so many for so long, undetected.

To me, the most chilling line in the entire book was a quote from a Houston resident explaining one of the reasons Corll was never suspected as the culprit, despite so many of the disappearing boys having direct ties to him. Accord
Fishface
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Finally, finally, a book to answer my questions about Deal Corll and Elmer Wayne Henley. Revolting serial-killing case. Well-written and seems pretty complete, despite the many years that passed between the discovery of the bodies and the publication of the book. The victims' lives are conspicuously absent, I have to say.
Karan
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four stars with a couple disclaimers - (1) I'm from Houston, live close to the Heights, and lived in Pasadena as a kid about the time the murders took place, so I have a strong interest in the subject matter. (2) This was written in 1974, sounds dated, and his racial terminology can be a little discomfiting.

Otherwise - if you have an interest, great true crime - especially because it was written so soon after the murders took place.
Rae
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another Jack Olsen classic narrated by Kevin Pierce. Engaging, informative, suspenseful. 4 solid stars.
Russell Sanders
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading Elmer Wayne Henley, Jr., the man who killed serial killer Dean Corll was up for parole (something that likely will not happen,) I was compelled to re-read Jack Olsen’s account of the Houston murders of over twenty young men in the early 1970s. Henley was one of two young men, the other was David Brooks, convicted of helping Corll to procure and murder a string of young men, mostly from a Houston neighborhood known as The Heights. Corll’s story began unraveling when Henley killed hi ...more
Greg R.
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a hell of a book this was! My version is a 1974 printing, so I'm missing any new updates. However, being familiar enough with Dean Corll outside of this book, I'm surprised to see how little David Brooks is known of in 2017. By Jack Olsen's reporting, Brooks had just as large (if not larger) role as Wayne Henley, Jr as an accomplice during Corll's killings and obsessions yet Henley seems to have always taken the spotlight.
The first part of this book I felt dragged on and on about needless
John
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story. Olsen writes like a long-form journalist, exploring the facts while capturing emotion, both of which he does extremely well. My only quibble is that he comes across as condescending in his descriptions of his Texan subjects' lives and lifestyles. He frequently, but not always, phoenetically spells direct quotations in dialect, and it's tough to tell if he's doing so for character or his own bemusement. But that's a quibble. He solicted some extremely candid interviews from the ...more
Jay
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was lost at the beginning of this book until I realized that I was actually enjoying all the background information about the Houston area and how well that background information helped to lay the foundation for how ineffectual the local police were in even putting together that there was a larger crime going on. The book wrapped up with interesting opportunities for interpretation. On one hand, you want to say they blamed the right guy for the murders and his accomplices were punished proper ...more
Theresa Turner
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent book..a well written true crime story by the talented writer Jack Olsen.. i gave a four star rating for brilliant true crime reporting .. So many boys from the same area called ''The Heights'' went missing and were later killed by Dean Corll and his two teenaged accomplices David Brooks and Elmer Wayne Henley..Jack Olsen really did his research while writing this book as much background imformation is given to the victims families as well as killers themselves .. The Houston Police fo ...more
Jenna
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
i read a couple of books and watched a movie or two on this serial killer. since it happened around the time i was born, and most likely when my parents were starting to go to mcfaddin beach area (close to where i grew up), it was interesting to me. the lazy attention paid to missing children for days that led into the fear we live in today is fascinating. also, this killer had numbers that blew other killers away and Gacy admired him so much. very much a must read if you are from SE texas or ar ...more
Veronica Thomas-lee
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book shows how in any neighbourhood anywhere how a killer could stike out against a community , and that things are not what they seem. It also states how the police department let down these families when their sons went missing in the 70's , and how easy it for them to believe that kids do not die, but only run away. It also shows how the community and the neighourhood stood together after the murders where discovered.
susan lewandowski
Good book

This all happened during the time my husband was a teen in the Heights area, and Dean lived down the street from him. He asked my husband to go to a movie, my husband said no, and I'm sure glad he did, because my husband probably wouldn't be here today if things had gone another way.
Teresa Parker
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Serial Killer Disguised

The choice of the boys he took reminds me of the missing children in Atlanta, lower middle class to low income homes where often children are bored and roam the streets. Our society needs to do better in adding recreation departments for children to play and I feel some of our larger churches could also set up after school and summer programs.
Dara S.
I did not think this was as good as some of the other Olsen books.
Ash
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
At this point a lot of true crime novels have made their way to my reading list, some of them have been phenomenal and others have been utter trash. The Man With The Candy was somewhere in the middle, and at different points it leaned more or less in one direction.

I enjoyed the layout of the story, it didn't feel rushed or strange and out of place while managing to cover a wide swathe of time. The people in the story felt mostly accessible, the average neighbors you'd expect in a small town in
Jonathan
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
April
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Man with the Candy
: Jack Olsen

This audiobook tells the story of Dean Corrl/Elmer Wayne Henley and the disappearance and murders of a large number of young boys in Texas, in the 1970's. I don't remember hearing anything about these crimes when they happened. It was a sickening crime spree to say the least.

The narration was well done. The characters were well portrayed. Kevin Pierce did his usual outstanding job!!!

Jeff
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This case is well organized and thoroughly researched as far as it goes, but it occurred in the seventies, so there's no excuse for the lack of an outcome. Two confessions were made, but there's no mention of charges, convictions, sentences, or anything else beyond these confessions.

Kevin Pierce delivered his customary outstanding performance.

NOTE: I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Annie
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
The ending is especially sad. Checking back in with the parents of the killed boys and seeing how they coped with the news. That was heartbreaking. Also, Houston PD sucked during this whole ordeal (minus a few people). Such indifference.
Teresa
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was alright, but not the best I've ever read. I really didn't like how the author would go on and on and on with descriptions of things that were inconsequential to the story. Those parts were really rather boring.
Nicolene
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting perspective from other true crime books that I have read. The author focussed his story more around impact on families of the boys and onbthe community than the killers.
One if the best true crime books I've read in a long time.
Emerson
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would be a 3.5. This was good but didn't seem to have the detail as some of his others. I'm used to deeper backgrounds from Jack Olsen. Maybe he just didn't have as much to work with. That being said, like all of his work, it's worth the read.
Kathryn
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
8 stars.
Dianne
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good
Valkyrie Franco
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
So is this about a serial killer or the murders? Or town gossip and daily life?!! Just a lot of talk.
Jamie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jack Olsen is the best!
Tyler
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who don't have enough nightmares
This is an unexpectedly well written account of the mass murders in Houston in the seventies, well done especially considering that the author wrote it so shortly after the event. The style reminds me of In Cold Blood. Olsen is especially effective at reconstructing the lives of the victims. The author does a great job laying out the backstory to the murders, with good segues and an effective overall narrative structure. His prose style is far beyond what a reader might expect in a true crime bo ...more
  • Buried Dreams: Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer
  • Evil Eyes
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • Angel of Darkness: The True Story of Randy Kraft and the Most Heinous Murder Spree
  • The Man Who Killed Boys: The John Wayne Gacy, Jr. Story
  • The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
  • Cellar of Horror: The Story of Gary Heidnik
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Dismembered
  • Fiend: The Shocking True Story of America's Youngest Serial Killer
  • Inside the Mind of BTK: The True Story Behind the Thirty-Year Hunt for the Notorious Wichita Serial Killer
  • In Broad Daylight: A Murder in Skidmore, Missouri