Start by marking “Baby Bear's Books” as Want to Read:
Baby Bear's Books

Baby Bear's Books (Baby Bear)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  267 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
What's the best time of day for reading? Well, for Baby Bear it's all day long. From the first wild wake-up book to the last gentle sleepy-time book--and all the adventures in between--each book takes Baby Bear somewhere new and exciting.

In this companion to Baby Bear's Chairs, bestselling author Jane Yolen and award-winning illustrator Melissa Sweet have created a celeb
Published August 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Baby Bear's Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Bear's Books

Mary
The second book in the Baby Bear series by Jane Yolen and Melissa Sweet is an illustrated paean to reading. There isn't much of a story but the engaging illustrations and gentle rhyming make this a lovely picture book to include in any bookjoy celebration.
Brigid Keely
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, animals, kids
"Baby Bear's Books," by Jane Yolen and illustrated by Melissa Sweet, is a gentle, rhyming story about Baby Bear and the books and stories Baby Bear loves. Yolen is a wordsmith in love with words, with stories, with rhythm, and that comes across both in her enthusiasm for different types of stories as well as with her actual writing. The writing is soft, gentle, rolling. This is a very easy story to read aloud, and it's very engaging. The illustrations are a good match, soft and gentle. The book ...more
Kat
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2012
Basic plot: Baby bear wants to read books all day long!

Sounds like me when I was a kid...

The art is clear, colorful, and filled with details. The story is a sweet, easy rhymer. No voices or sound effects are necessary for the reading, but there are some decent opportunities for expression, nonetheless. It's a great bedtime story for all the budding bibliophiles that we Goodreads users are trying to encourage. :)
M.K. Aneal
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Aw, so cute(:
Kristine Hansen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think what I love most about this book is the way the author captures the way a child will ask to be read to, again and again and again. What I love is that the adults around the child (in this case a bear) take the time to do the reading EVERY TIME THEY ARE ASKED.

Having to drop everything and share a book can be challenging, and even frustrating. This book is a reminder, more for the parents than the child, of the importance of giving a child opportunity to hear stories, and also reiterates h
Kenson and kirra
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
i like to hear my mom and dad read me books too. i espiscally like that my mom reads to me before school. she reads about 4 books a day. somedays, i listen better than others, but just like baby bear. i love my books.
Melissa
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
All times are great times to read!!!
Eva Leger
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
3.5 - This, IMO, is exactly the type of book Yolen is gifted at. This, IMO, is exactly the type of book Yolen should stick to. Melissa Sweet is the illustrator of this and Baby Bear's Big Dreams and she complimented the story perfectly.
Yolen is truly talented when it comes to awesome little rhyming tales that are sweet beyond belief, that make you just feel good about the world.
Stories that make you want to stay snuggled up with your kid(s) and keep reading exactly this type of story forever.
Peanut
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
MOMMY: It's a book about a bear who loves to read books! This sweet story takes you through the day of baby bear and all the books he reads (or mommy reads to him). "When I wake up and before I am fed, please will you read while I sit on the bed?". How could I not love this book? It's a good example that reading books is not just a bedtime activity. The illustrations are fantastic and we take a little tour of the bear families activities in their forest/sea-side home. This is a great gift book. ...more
Lv2readB
Jul 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Yolen, J. (2006). Baby Bear’s Books. Orlando: Harcourt.

Summary:
Baby Bear discovers a book for every event and happening in his day. This is a picture book with rhyming words.

Reviews/Awards:
Publisher's Weekly 9/11/2006
School Library Journal 9/1/2006

Curriculum Connection:
* A great book for encouraging Kinders to read often! The rhyming pattern in the story is great for reading aloud to children; they have to guess the rhyming word at the end of each “poem”, based on the context and picture clues
Dolly
We love this book. Although our girls are starting to get a little too old for books like these, I'm glad that we can still appreciate this one together. This book expresses exactly how I feel about books; they are perfect for anytime. Baby bear likes to be read to all throughout the day; anytime is the right time. I love the illustrations and the narrative is soothing and rhyming, with just the right amount of excitement to keep a child engaged, but settles down at the end as the baby bear drif ...more
Jenna
While some of the rhyming seemed a bit off (not that I'm an expert at that, or anything), this is a cute book all about the fun of reading books together as a family. A rather sketchy drawing style but fit perfectly.

I'm into my jammies.
I've turned on the light.
I'm snuggling down,
and I'm ready for night.

My eyes start to close,
but my ears open wide.
So, come and sit down
with a book by my side.

Then read to me spaceships
and bear trips and then,
when you are finished...
Oh, read them again....
Ashlin Edmisten
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: xx2017, childrens
This book was cute, but I've found there are better books out there for excited readers. I really love Jane Yolen, so I was surprised that this wasn't one of my favorites. It would be a great read for a two year old, but I don't feel like it has a lot of range or grab ya moments for older kids. All in all, it'sute, but it's also an easy pass.
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Baby Bear loves to be read to, anytime, anywhere - he loves books! When he wakes up, he asks his mom to read to him, when it's nap time he wants to hear a story, at dinner time, bedtime, and all the while he's so excited about that cozy feeling of snuggling up with a book. Sweet story with adorable watercolor illustrations of the bear family and their woodland home.
Anthony
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A cute little read with wonderful illustrations! Narrative runs too long, the arc just disappears in the middle and struggles to resolve. Still quite the shoe-in for anyone looking to put the kids to sleep.
Lindsay Fouts
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, rhyme
Jane Yolen is master of the picture book rhyme. The rhyming never sounds forced. It has a very musical quality when reading it aloud; this was one of my favorites to read to my son when he was a baby.

Love the illustrations by Melissa Sweet.
April
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I found that this book while adorable did not capture my child's attention. But it was a fun read anyways.
Leona
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming, easy
A baby bear talks about all the times he loves to be read to. The illustrations are extremely cute. Big pics so may be good for programming.
Afriendlylibrarian
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, rda
Like Baby Bear, I too have books for every occasion to get me through the day.
Beth
May 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Baby Bear would like to hear stories and read all of the time. The story has great rhythm and the pictures are cheery.
Bethe
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
delightful rhymes, bright, colorful illustrations, storytime treat!
Tricia
Mar 29, 2008 rated it liked it
baby bear wants books at every time in the day. written in rhymes. cute illustrations.
Laura Komos
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I chose this as the first book I read to my niece!
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bears, books
A delightful rhyme of a little bear's desire to be read to, any time, any place, any how.

Cute illustrations.
Beverly
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute rhyming story about reading from dawn to nighttime, with sweet illustrations in mixed media and collage.
Mandy
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Anytime is a good time for Baby Bear to hear a book read to him!
Summer Batte
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great gift book. Keep coming back to it for bedtime reading, even at age almost-6.
Jackie
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
These bears love books and stories any time of the day.
Used for Teddy Bear Sleep Over 8/14/09
Ruth Ann
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Baby Bear reads all kinds of books throughout the day, with various members of his family and friends. I like this book because I can identify with the great joy Baby Bear finds in books.
pati
A book about reading books - can't go wrong with that!
  • Bedtime for Bear
  • Bear in the Air
  • Raindrop, Plop!
  • Hush, Little Dragon
  • Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!
  • Birds
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin (Classic Board Books)
  • Hickory Dickory Dock
  • The Boy Who Wouldn't Share
  • Owly
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good
  • Sleep, Baby, Sleep
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Again!
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
  • Baby Bear Counts One
  • Sleepy ABC
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen