Start by marking “The Last Page” as Want to Read:
The Last Page

The Last Page

Barbara Adams, head of the Windbrook Library in suburban Chicago, has died, apparently from a fall down the stairs to the library's basement. But when Julia Fairbanks, her closest friend's daughter starts to poke around, she finds troubling emails that indicate Barbara was not the victim of a heart attack, but a vicious killer instead. Can Julia find the murderer? Or will ...more
Published by The Red Herrings Press (first published July 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Page, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Page

Start your review of The Last Page
Allison
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was really interesting as it was jointly written by 2 authors for a library fund raiser. Can't get any better than that for a reason to write. Their character, law school student Julia Fairbanks decides to investigate the death of head librarian Barbara Adams as she had reached out to Julia's Mother several times in an "urgent" manner. Julia decides it's murder and then goes about finding clues and solving the case. Some Nancy Drew aspects mixed in but I really liked it.
Krista
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a delightful novella. I didn't predict the ending and was able to get on board with most aspects of the novel. The authors did good work in researching aspects of libraries such as Friends of the Library etc. It was neat that it was produced with the intention of raising money for a specific library.
Val
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a quick read. A librarian is found dead at the bottom of the basement stairs. The ruling is heart attack. However, the daughter of the librarian's best friend thinks there is more to this story. She investigates and finds that there are several who would have wanted this librarian gone from their world. After a few twists and a bit of danger to our heroine, the murderer is revealed.
Llewelyn
Feb 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
No more Hellman and Walker for me

Dreadful depressing stories about the worst elements of police officers and other seemy underbelly. Not my preferred reading. Sorry I picked it from free books.
Kay
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The last page

The Last Page by Libby Fischer Hellmann, a collection of short stories was a pretty good read. I especially enjoyed the first story because I am a retired librarian.
Alisha
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.85
Renetta DeBoer
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad. The language style was a little hard to get past but it was a cute little mystery. I really like the ending.
JoAnn
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Didn't know what to expect - but, "I LIKED IT."
Short. and well done.
MissSusie
The Last Page by Libby Fischer Hellmann and David J. Walker Narrated by, Mary Conway and James Lewis

In the short story The Last Page a not very well liked librarian, Barbara Adams, dies from what they are saying was a heart attack but she just happened to be standing at the top of the stairs when it happened, Julia’s mother & Barbara were friends and both think the death sounds suspicious so Julia decides to do some digging. I love a book that is set in a library and the author did a good job in
Faye, la Patata
Predictable.

The story is first introduced in the perspective of Barbara Adams, a hard-working, independent and mean librarian who loved books and worked her way to the top. She is staying late at the library doing something. She goes to the basement because she heard a suspicious noise, and next thing we knew, we get a first account of the murder that take place in the library.

Then we get introduced to Julia Fairbanks, a college student majoring in Law school. She loves criminology and wants to
Ruth Ferguson
When Barbara Adams is found dead in the basement of the library, everyone is happy to write it off as a heart attack/fall down the stairs. End of story. However, Julia Fairbanks a pre-law student and the daughter of Adams' best friend (really only friend) is not quite so sure. She can't get over wondering what Adams' urgent voicemails was referencing. Will curiosity kill the cat if Julia is not careful?

This novella was co-written by Libby Fischer Hellmann and David J. Walker they did a delightfu
Debbie
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Are you lover of short stories? I must admit I prefer a novel---love the development of characters and plot, but there is something so infinitely desireable about a short story. Each word counts and the whole makes an exquisite tale. My good friend, Libby Fischer Hellmann and her friend, David Walker recently completed a novella titled The Last Page. She felt I would like it as it was set in a library and there is a murder. What's not to like, you ask?? Absolutely nothing. The characters are wel ...more
Jim
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Novella. What a wonderful, light breezy cozy mystery. The librarian in the town of Windbrook dies from a heart attack, and fall down a flight of stairs. Local law school student Julia has an inkling it's murder. The police have called it a heart attack and closed case. Julia investigates, and interviews several "Suspects". sooner or later she'll step on somebody toes. A very quick and interesting novella, "The Last Page", keeps you guessing right on up to the very end. Was it murder, or a heart ...more
Rosemary K
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Libby Fischer Hellman and David J. Walker have written entertaining and suspenseful stories in this anthology. The narration by Mary Conway definitely added to my enjoyment. I was drawn to Julia in The Last Page. She is an intelligent woman who follows her instincts. I always read Nancy Drew as a child and this character made me feel that this is how Nancy would be all grown up. The library is the perfect setting for hidden secrets. The story was well plotted and filled with interesting suspects ...more
Georgiana Huizenga
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This was more like a short story, but it was fun. I am a retired library director, so I enjoyed the library setting, even though the library director is a murder victim. It was originally written as a fundraiser for a local public library. It was quite enjoyable, and only took me a couple of hours to read.
Lori Henrich
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun story. It takes place in my favorite place, a library. Julia isn't sure that the death of Barbara Adams is an accident. Barbara apparently had a heart attack and feel down a flight of stairs leading to the basement. So she decided to do some investigation on her own, which of course doesn't go quite as planned.

I could easily see this becoming a series of some sort.
Julie
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another Amazon.com find for my kindle. First book I read on the new device. The three short stories were well written. I liked that the authors took turns writing the chapters. Your Sweet Man was my favorite of the three short stories.
PScribe
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I only read the actual story "The Last Page" and haven't read the other short stories yet. It was cute. Entertaining enough for its length and probably could have made a really decent full length novel. Not a bad read for an afternoon at the lake or beach.
Carmella Galley
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
To easy to figure out.
Lynn Demsky
May 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
First story was really good, second story was ok and the last one just was a waste of time!
Lori
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was a quick short story, but I liked the characters and enjoyed the story.
Diana Donnelly
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a mystery that I was able to read in one afternoon. A short entertaining story that was a pleasure to read.
Joanne
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this short story written as a project for a fundraiser.
Nightraine
Not a bad mystery. Very short. There is also a short short story after this called My Sweet Man that is pretty good too. I got this free on kindle.
Ros
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detectives
The Last Page was well-told and gripping. Watch out for the other stories, which included Very Strong Language; I didn't appreciate the surprise.
Andrea Stoeckel
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was originally a novella written as a fund raiser for a library. It's short, and a lot of fun. It is also a reminder of things that happened pre-internet in a library. Well worth a read
Sarah - Exploring All Genres
Dec 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Looking Deeply Into Tea
  • God's Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine
  • Death of a Dustman (Hamish Macbeth, #16)
  • Some Kind of Wonderful: A Novel (Debbie Macomber Classics)
  • Christmas in Silver Bell Falls (Silver Bell Falls, #1)
  • Lasagna Gardening: A New Layering System for Bountiful Gardens: No Digging, No Tilling, No Weeding, No Kidding!
  • In a Field of Blue
  • Death of a Celebrity (Hamish Macbeth, #17)
  • A Gingerbread Romance: Based On the Hallmark Channel Original Movie
  • Journey Back to Christmas
  • A Royal Christmas Wish: An Enchanting Christmas Romance from Hallmark Publishing
  • Christmas In Evergreen
  • Christmas In Evergreen: Letters to Santa
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • A Timeless Christmas
  • Getting Hot with the Scot (Sometimes in Love, #1)
  • How to Create a New Vegetable Garden: Producing a Beautiful and Fruitful Garden from Scratch
  • An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good
Libby Fischer Hellmann left a career in broadcast news in Washington, DC and moved to Chicago 40 years ago, where she, naturally, began to write gritty crime fiction. Sixteen novels and twenty-five short stories later, she claims they’ll take her out of the Windy City feet first. She has been nominated for many awards in the mystery writing community and has even won a few.

Her newest work is A BE