Start by marking “Prince Across the Water (Stuart Quartet, #3)” as Want to Read:
Prince Across the Water (Stuart Quartet, #3)

Prince Across the Water (Stuart Quartet #3)

From the award-winning author of Queen's Own Fool and Girl in a Cage comes the third installment of the Scottish quartet. Duncan MacDonald is excited to join his father and the MacDonald clan in the fight to restore Prince Charlie to the Scottish throne.
Published July 6th 2006 by Speak (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Prince Across the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince Across the Water

Shomeret
As I expected Prince Charles Stuart is portrayed with great sympathy, but there's no attempt made to mitigate the tremendous mistake in strategy that led to the Battle of Culloden.

Long ago, as a teenager with no Scottish background whatsoever, I had an obsession with the Jacobite cause, Robert Burns and Scottish independence. I learned to recite "Bannockburn" by heart. Yet well before reading this book I had come round to the perspective that given the losses that Scotland suffered as a result
Josephine
Oct 05, 2011 Josephine rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Can Jane Yolen even write a bad book? I haven't found it yet! This is another in her sequence of Scottish books, referring to 'Bonnie Prince Charlie'. Unlike The Queen's Own Fool, the prince in question plays only a minor role; the book's about a Highland boy determined to go to war and gain honor as his grandfather did in the uprisings of (17)15; as his grandfather did, the protagonist of this book learns the hard way that war is messy, bloody, muddy and involves the death people near to you, b ...more
Carolyn
Mar 08, 2012 Carolyn rated it liked it
This book is written for teens. The story is fascinating for adults as well. Not for the faint-hearted; a good portion of the book is taken up with the bloody battle of Culloden.

Personally, I have to wonder how my Highland Scots ancestors could have held such fierce loyalty to their 'lairds' and the fantasy of 'Bonnie Prince Charlie'. The mother of our young hero is the one who sees the world most realistically. Right from the start, her comments cut to the chase. On page 7: "The devil with ye m
Apr 27, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
This is another well-written historical fiction in the Stuart quartet, this time focusing on the time Bonnie Prince Charlie tried to win Scotland back from the English. In the previous two books, the POV character is based on an actual historical figure. This time around, our POV character is a completely fictional 13-year-old boy named Duncan MacDonald. He wants to go off with his dad to fight the English but a) he's too young and needed to help run the family farm, and b) he suffers from what ...more
Jessica
Sep 17, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10 to 18
In 1746, a year after the Scottish clans have rallied to the call of their exiled prince, Charles Stuart, to take up arms against England's tyranny, fourteen-year-old, epileptic Duncan MacDonald and his cousin, Ewan, run away to join the fight at Culloden and discover the harsh reality of war.

I loved this book!!And the main character boy is a MacDonald at that!!! :D
It's engagingly written and extremely moving. I couldn't help but shed a few tears throughout.
Highly Recommended!!

Warning: I thing
Valerie
May 06, 2011 Valerie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this historical fiction of the times of Prince Charlie and the Battle at Culloden. The depiction of the battle and the horror there is very realistic, but not overly gory. That is such a sad time in Scotland's history. The fictional character of young Duncan McDonald makes the story believable and interesting. I recommend this for anyone who enjoys a young adult level historical fiction.
Robin
Sep 23, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who have to read everything about Scotland.
This book gets high marks for being what I needed it to be: a serviceable and not-unpleasant way to learn about Bonnie Prince Charlie, the Jacobites, and Culloden. Low stars because at no point in the reading did I feel excited or scared or invested in the characters in any way. There were also several characters whose stories felt spliced in, (Mairi was one), and I wondered if, at one time, they had a bigger role, and were victims of uneven editing.
Jenny
Sep 08, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, historical
Duncan MacDonald is excited by the mustering of the MacDonald clan to support Prince Charlie. At 13, though, he is too young to go fight with his father. He stays with his family on the farm, dreaming of war and his Granda's stories. His father returns just before Colloden, so Duncan goes for a soldier in the final battle. War isn't anything like the stories. Now Prince Charlie is hiding, an outlaw, and only Duncan can guide him to the ship for France.
Cherylann
Oct 19, 2013 Cherylann rated it really liked it
Yolen does a nice job continuing the quartet started with Girl in a Cage. This installment focuses on the 1746 uprising and battle at Culloden. Duncan, a young boy with a yearning to go to battle, narrates the story. The reader experiences a young boy's loss of innocence and first understanding of what war really means.
Rem
Apr 01, 2015 Rem rated it it was amazing
As Ma had said "It's God that feeds the crows that neither till, harrow, nor sow." She meant that we had work waiting to be done on the farm. And that we were not crows, to fly away from such work . Pg.76
Marcy
Jun 28, 2009 Marcy rated it really liked it
Thanks again to Shomeret for passing on to me this story of a young, Scottish highlander and his introduction to war, fighting for Prince Charlie at Culloden. The boy's romantic ideas about war soon dissolve, but not his loyalty to his prince. Good, historical fiction!
Ally McKinnis
Mar 07, 2014 Ally McKinnis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Scottish novels
When I read this book as a young Scottish fanatic, I simply could not stop reading it!! It has been an all-time childhood favorite of mine!!! I always remember the story, and it has inspired me to not only write my own books on Scottish history, but to play the Scottish bagpipes!!
Sharon Skinner
Jun 01, 2008 Sharon Skinner rated it really liked it
This is the story of the battle of Culloden told from the POV of a young boy who fights along side the Stuarts in their final bid to regain the throne of Scotland. Yolen does a remarkable job of bringing historical characters to life in an entertaining and believable fashion.
Gary
Feb 09, 2010 Gary rated it really liked it
Extremely well written story based on a young man's experience in Scotland during the uprising to bring Prince Charlie back to the crown. The story is compelling and well researched.
Becky Nelson
May 12, 2014 Becky Nelson rated it liked it
This story took a little too long to get going and just wasn't as good as her other books.
Nicole
Oct 22, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
Interesting Historical Fiction. Loved the Scottish culture
Sean
Jan 02, 2017 Sean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting; rather disappointing.
Aubrey Hinchman
Mar 10, 2013 Aubrey Hinchman rated it liked it
This book made me cry. That in itself wasn't bad, but the book lost it's touch about 3/4th's in.
Malauna
Oct 15, 2010 Malauna added it
Shelves: never-finished
Had a hard time getting into this one, with the language differences and then it was time to return it to the library...
Renae
Nov 12, 2011 Renae rated it really liked it
Another great story about some history I know very little about.

Quite riveting, actually, once it really picked up speed.
Mo
Mo rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Nadia Nelson
Nadia Nelson rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Laurie Williams
Laurie Williams rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2010
Sarah Ford
Sarah Ford rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2013
Bailey
Bailey rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2016
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2008
Karli
Karli rated it liked it
May 28, 2012
TeFo
TeFo rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2008
Janie
Janie rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Turned Away: The World War II Diary of Devorah Bernstein (Dear Canada)
  • Bloodline Rising (Bloodline, #2)
  • Brothers Far from Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada)
  • An Innocent Soldier
  • No Safe Harbour: The Halifax Explosion Diary of Charlotte Blackburn (Dear Canada))
  • September 17
  • Escape in Time: Miri's Riveting Tale of Her Family's Survival During World War II
  • Saying Goodbye to Warsaw
  • The Spider and the Sparrow
  • The Gawgon and the Boy
  • Outcast
  • Helga: Growing Up in Hitler's Germany
  • Montmorency's Revenge (Montmorency #4)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

Stuart Quartet (4 books)
  • Queen's Own Fool (Stuart Quartet, #1)
  • Girl in a Cage (Stuart Quartet, #2)
  • The Rogues (Stuart Quartet, #4)

“You can only chase a butterfly for so long.” 47 likes