Start by marking “Killing Miss Kitty and Other Sins” as Want to Read:
Killing Miss Kitty and Other Sins

Killing Miss Kitty and Other Sins

Life in Claire’s typical Midwestern town is quiet; some would even say boring. But this is the 1950s, and things that seem calm on the surface are often churning underneath. When Claire takes a new black friend, dressed as “Liberty,” to the Fourth of July parade in the town park, she realizes there can be no liberty for either girl in her all-white town. And as she grows o ...more
Published May 21st 2007 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Killing Miss Kitty and Other Sins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Miss Kitty and Other Sins

Haliation
What a...strange and interesting book? I don’t really know what I’m feeling. But it definately kept my interest. Trigger warnings for for racism, homophobia and animal cruelty.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Natalie Tsang for TeensReadToo.com

You would think that reading about other people's sins wouldn't be much fun, but Marion Dane Bauer's KILLING MISS KITTY AND OTHER SINS is a surprisingly pleasant and quick read. Set in the 1950s, we follow Claire, a young girl growing up in a small town in Illinois, through five stories spread out over about five years.

One of my few complaints is that at only 167 pages, including the foreword and afterword, the book is much too short. The five stori
Rad
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, read-and-liked
I think the last story was my favorite. That's the thing about linked-short-story collections, the last ones tend to be my favorites. Why? Because I've already gotten into the world and the character, so by the end I'm anxious to see what happens.

Anyway, this is one of the better short story collections I've read. They aren't necessarily happy stories, but then again, what short stories are, really?

That's the end. I can't make my thoughts sort themselves out. It's hopeless. I'm too groggy.
Susan  Dunn
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ssbrc, j-fiction
This is a series of five stories about a girl named Claire, growing up in the 1950s. I'm not sure who the audience is for this book - it's too mature for elementary aged kids, but high schoolers won't relate to it either. The title story really is about the girl's mom killing their vicious family pet, so just b/c there is a cat that is murdered, I don't like this book!
Carey Thompson
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Author is the grandmother of a past 5th grade student. Love how her stories are based on her life experiences.
Larichelle
Jessica
Jul 07, 2008
Zia
Sep 10, 2011
Marion Dane Bauer is the author of more than eighty books for young people, ranging from novelty and picture books through early readers, both fiction and nonfiction, books on writing, and middle-grade and young-adult novels. She has won numerous awards, including several Minnesota Book Awards, a Jane Addams Peace Association Award for RAIN OF FIRE, an American Library Association Newbery Honor Aw ...more