Start by marking “Fighting Fair” as Want to Read:
Fighting Fair

Fighting Fair

NOW AVAILABLE!
A brand new short story released in cooperation with WALK on the WILD SIDE BOOKS…

With a marriage in trouble, there’s no such thing as fighting fair…

Jersey girl Natalie Copeland is ready to give up on a decade of marriage. Her husband Shane disappeared into the long, stressful hours necessary to make partner at his investment firm, and now their once-hot sex l
Published July 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Fighting Fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighting Fair

Baba
ETA June 27, 2015: Downgraded to four stars because of this:

I did a re-read today and I'm posting a new review.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."
- by John Steinbeck -

It’s hot. It’s erotic. It’s steamy. It’s thoughtful.

Wow, I loved Fighting Fair! It’s a short, yet very satisfying read. Anne could write a grocery list and I’d read and enjoy it. No doubt at all. I love her prose and how she writes so sensually! Touching is so essentia
Kristen
4 stars

Fighting Fair is a well written short story (40 pages) about a married couple whose relationship is on the brink of falling apart. This story has a great blend of real-life issues intermixed with a touching romance and a steamy, light BDSM sex scene. For such a short story, I found the characterization to be stellar, the prose absorbing, and the chemistry off the charts. It's refreshing to read a story about an established couple who have problems (what couple doesn't?!) but are committe
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I had just finished reading Liberating Lacey and had to grab something - anything else I could get my hands on by Anne Calhoun. I’ve seen my Goodreads friends discussing Fighting Fair so I decided to make it my next read. WOW! What a great choice!

Fighting Fair is the very short story of a married couple who, after ten years of marriage, have found themselves living more like roommates than husband and wife. Natalie, realizing that if they don’t do something about this soon, there won’t be anyth
Taryn
Recommended to Taryn by: Baba

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

I love LOVE this cover!

I am not one to read short stories. I've never really liked them and they've never done much for me. They feel rushed and it's just not possible to connect with the characters, in my opinion.

Well, I am sooooo eating my words now! This is one hot, beautiful, romantic short story, with a side of light BDSM. Oh, how I loved this novella! This is my first read by this author and it won't be my last. Anne Calhoun was able to write an e
Jill
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jill by: Baba

Shane and Natalie are having marriage problems. Or at least that's what Natalie thinks. Shane's oblivious. So, she arranges marriage counselling.

This is a novella, so there's a limit to the plot....but not the sex scenes. This is my second Anne Calhoun book and I pretty much thought the same as the first book. It was okay. I very much liked the premise of a married couple trying to rekindle their love. And I liked that they realised that sex isn't The Fix. I find Anne Calhoun's writing doesn't r
Dina
I think I would have loved this book if it had been a full-length story. I really liked the premise, but it needed more words/pages to make me connect with the H/h. Shane and Natalie were okay, I guess, but their struggles didn't quite move me because I didn't get to "know" them that well. It isn't easy to get into much depth in short stories, but I've seen it done before so I know it can be done. As it was, I still liked this story. I only wish I had loved it... Yes, I'm greedy that way. ;)
♥Rachel♥
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fighting Fair is a short story only 38 pages long but it packs a punch. It’s a story about a married couple who is still in love, but has grown apart. I loved the realistic feel this story had, and the steamy reconciliation! Whoa!

Natalie and Shane have been married for eight years and what started out as smoldering relationship has turned cold and distant thanks to Shane’s obsessive commitment to his job and becoming partner in his firm. As a last ditch effort, Natalie signs them up for counsel
Crista
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
First of all, thanks to my friend Baba for recommending this new-to-me author!

Whew! For a book that is only 12,000 words, this one packs one big steamy punch. I think this is a story that anyone who's been in a long term relationship could relate with.

Natalie and Shane met in college. He was her professor and the chemistry between them was apparent from the beginning. Shane waits until Natalie has her final exam graded, and then immediately asks her to dinner. The rest they say...was history.

Pre
Kelly
A short story about a couple who find a way (and OMG what a way!) to repair their troubled marriage. A sweet, sexy read. If you loved Liberating Lacey I think you'll love this too.
Gigi
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Reread October 2016 Nope. Shouldn't have read this one again. The husband was kind of a dick.

A short read of a established hetero couple on the verge of a break-up that rediscover each other. Very hot! Anne Calhoun has become my GOTO author for a quick hetero fix!
Karla
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, emotional, passionate short story about a couple losing touch with each other and re-igniting the passion that brought them together. Letting someone know you love them is sometimes as simple as showing them why you fell in love with them in the first place. Making time to be with them even if it's just sharing a very hot bowl of ice cream!
Fighting the good fight to keep the one you love.
The Eleventh Hour
Vishous
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
with short stories like this I always wish for them to be longer and to actually read their story, but I must admit that even in 40 pages the writer did an amazing job.

I love it when something so short turns out to be a big surprise!

the beginning actually made me really sad, the way their marriage was becoming nothing, but the way he actually realized and made her to forgive him....

well lets just say that i will be playing hide and seek very soon....
Elizabeth (Liz)
Wonderful! Anne Calhoun is fast becoming a real favorite of mine! More please!
Steamywindows♥♫
A great novella about what happens when a man neglects his wife in flavor of his ambition, assuming she will just go along. He has been so intent on his goal that he has lost sight of what he really values. When his wife says they need counselling, he shows up late! Seriously, the man needs a lesson.

...and he gets it when something momentous happens and she isn't around for him to share with. The resulting confrontation of her in a bar, talking with another man, jerks our hero into a supremely
Sofia Lazaridou
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I finish a book I always think the couple will live together forever and will be happy.This book kind of opened my eyes and show me that the couples sometimes have problems and nothing is perfect.But love always(or almost always)wins.That's the reason I rated the book with 5 stars.

Natalie and Shane after 10 years of marriage have some troubles.They have stopped communicating and that kills their relationship.Not beign able to stand it more Nat forces Shane to go to a specialist and try save

Duchess Nicole
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Slightly erotica, but not so much that I wanted to close my eyes. I don't normally read erotica, but this was recommended to me, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a great story about a marriage that, much like many other marriages, is sliding into a decline. Once both partners realize how far they have fallen as a couple from what they used to be, they attempt to rekindle the passion that first drew them together. Great short with deeper meaning, especially to those of us who know how difficu ...more
Ian
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very short story about a married couple who are drifting apart. Shane is married to his job and Natalie has had enough. When he realizes he's losing her he pulls out all the stops to save their marriage.

Despite being erotic fiction with a very slight bondage theme, Anne Calhoun still writes characters who are warm and real.
Kaycee ❤️
This is a passionate, sexy and hot novella. And I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to read more from Ms. Anne Calhoun.
Wendy
Shelves: kindle, erotica
What a HOT little read! Loved it!
Erin Burns
Apr 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Natalie Copeland is tired of fighting for a marriage that in her eyes doesn't even exist anymore. Her husband basically ignores her and takes her for granted in favor of his business goals. She makes a last ditch effort to save her marriage with couple's counseling, which her husband can't even be bothered to show up on time to. Shane doesn't really see the problem, as far as he is concerned Natalie knew what she was going into and the time it would take to meet his goals.

Frankly speaking, I did
Jane Stewart
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
3 stars. Erotic short story was well done with good character development. Sex scene was hot.

STORY BRIEF:
Natalie and Shane have been married for several years. Shane is a workaholic on his way to making partner in an investment company. Natalie is frustrated that they never spend time together. She makes an appointment with a marriage counselor. Shane is 30 minutes late for the first session. A few days later Shane meets Natalie after work and takes her home. Natalie is angry. Shane insists the
Stevi
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Super cute story that could easily beanyones marriage!! They have been married for 10 years and while the husband was on the fast track of becoming partner he forgot what was REALLY important.... his wife!!!! Well after he catches her talking with a guy friend he gets upset and well tney have a huge fight... she throws stuff at him LOL and well then it turns into crazy hot sex and they remeber why/what they loved about each other.

Super cute short read
Tami
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Calhoun sure knows how to mix romance, passion, endearment, and erotic scenes and make it work. This was a short and steamy read about doing whatever it takes to keep a marriage together...starting in the bedroom.

There are countless songs that could work for this book, I'm sure. Yet, there was just one line that kept popping in my head as I read. It's from the song 'Get Stoned' by Hinder and the line is '...because the sex is always so much better when you're mad at me...'
Lisa
First read (Sept 2014): Too short too short too short.

First reread (Nov 2016): I'm always a sucker for marriage-in-trouble romance. And I love Anne Calhoun. This novella is so short, TOO SHORT, but still fulfilling, hence the 4 stars the first time I read it (I rarely give novellas a 4 on accounts of the length).

Second reread (May 2017): Reread this again because I miss Anne Calhoun's writing (I still haven't finished her Ops series, whoops). Shane is still hot I want one.
KatLynne

My first book by Anne Calhoun. It was a very quick, (abt 15 minutes) and hot read.
Holly Noelle
Meh. Loved the concept, but wanted more.

Short read. Solid writing - I am interested in perhaps a full length novel by her.
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
That indeed was a short story. It went right to the guts of the story and was resolved quick. Very steamy on some parts, and lots of emotion. Not bad :-)
Al Del
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Just wanted more apologies and grovelling from Shane. One night of passionate sex does not acquit months of neglect.
Anne Calhoun Fans...: Fighting Fair 8 19 May 27, 2012 06:54PM

• Shaken
  • Chance of a Lifetime
  • Do Over
  • Rude Awakening
  • Scoring Lacey
  • Thank You for Riding (Strangers on a Train)
  • Forever Yours
  • Deacon's Touch (Dume Ranch Series, #1)
  • Big Boy
  • Tactical Maneuver (Men of S.W.A.T., #2)
  • City Knight: Working It (City Knight #1)
  • Marooned with the Millionaire
  • The Story Guy
  • A Breach of Promise (The Rules of Engagement #1)
  • Lumberjack in Love
  • The Lovers
  • Spank Me (Operation #1)
  • Holiday Bound
After doing time at Fortune 500 companies on both coasts, I found myself living in the suburbs of a small Midwestern city. The glamour of various cube farm jobs had worn off, so I gave up making a decent living to take Joseph Campbell’s advice and follow my bliss: writing romance.