Start by marking “After the Sunset (Timing, #2)” as Want to Read:
After the Sunset (Timing, #2)

After the Sunset (Timing #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  3,511 Ratings  ·  294 Reviews
Two years after riding off into the sunset with ranch owner Rand Holloway, Stefan Joss has made a tentative peace with his new life, teaching at a community college. But the course of true love never does run smooth. Rand wants him home on the ranch; Stef wants an exit strategy in case Rand ever decides to throw him out. Finally, after recognizing how unfair he's being, St ...more
Published August 17th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about After the Sunset, please sign up.
Recent Questions

Amy Lane
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Okay-- there is something comforting about knowing when you open a book there will be witty dialog, hot, strong men (a cowboy in this case!) and REALLY scorching sex scenes that make you remember that sex is, at its best, one of the most enjoyable and funnest parts of falling in love.

That's what reading a Mary Calmes book is like--characters who are smart, dialog that is sparkling, and the strong undercurrent of family and kindness and putting yourself out for your mate because that's what havin
Susan
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it

URGH...I've learned an important lesson: as much as I love a Mary Calmes book, I must read in doses. Too much Calmes can lead to sudden irritation and aggravation.

Man, if I didn’t stress enough in my review of “Timing”, book 1 of this series, I will just drive the message home...this series is EXACTLY the “Matter of Time” saga, but in Texas on a ranch. And just as she did with that series, Calmes blows a perfectly GREAT coupling by separating them to do their own thing in the follow up.

GRRRR..
Tara♥
1st read - 14 June 2015
2nd read - 20 to 21 February 2017

________________________

"You are my life. Nothing else means anything if you're not here."

Have I mentioned I like cowboys?

Anyways!!

This was a really good follow up to 'Timing' but there wasn't enough Rand for my liking. I'm greedy like that!!

Still nice to see how Stef and Rand are getting on after 2 years together. Not sure about the family subplot but I enjoyed the Rodeo. Would have been better with Rand there but whatever.
Gigi
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED!

Hello second edition cover boy Stefan!

BWT (Belen)
One moment for cover love, please? Reese Dante has done a brilliant job with the new 2nd Edition covers, in my opinion. Love them!

Two years ago, Rand Holloway and Stefan Joss went from enemies to lovers in sizzling style over the course of Rand's sister Charlotte’s four-day wedding blowout. They bickered, they had steaming hot sex, and they fell in love.

Two years later Stefan has taken a job a local community college and is all in his relationship with Rand Holloway.

Though they've had some ups (
Wendy
I can't believe I didn't read this one before...I was sure that I had, guess I was wrong.

So this is book 2 in the Timing series about Stefan and Rand and it can't be read as a stand alone.

I loved these two and I know a lot of people think that this series is a lot like "The Matter of Time" series and they would be right. I was actually thrilled about that fact, because I absolutely adore Jory and Sam.

Stefan and Rand were pretty awesome themselves, but Jory and S
R * A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Two years later and not much has changed and I'm soooo ok with that.

Stefan is finally enmeshed in the ranch life. In his efforts to help Rand out, he gets himself into quite the situation. Have no worries though, because he always comes out on top through his stubborn determination and irresistible charm.

Rand unsurprisingly continues to be just as possessive and dominating, committed to his Stefan like nobody's business. He's got everything planned out to ensure their future and I like
Jenni Lea

Best Buddy Read Ever with my pal Red... part deux!

It’s been two years since Stef was swept off his feet at Charlotte’s wedding and he and Rand are settling into their life together on the Red Diamond. The Red Diamond is growing by leaps and bounds and Stef has finally found his niche as a teacher at the local community college. But it hasn’t been an easy road they’ve traveled. They’ve (especially Rand) had to face prejudice and ostracism from the citizens of Winston, Rand’s hometown. Their bad l
Heather C
I really want to give it 1 star but I'm going to give it 2 because I was so happy to see it finally end.

This would have been a Did Not Finish for me after the first chapter, but I was reading it with Bubbles (Dane) and he forced me to finish it.

What I liked:
The only thing I liked about this book was that it had an ending.

What I disliked:

1. It was boring and the plot was totally silly and there were many contradictions from the first book. Usually I can over look some of that, but this was beyon
Alyosha
Read like an old harlequin.

- Caveman- like top, the hottest man alive, right.
- Twinky, beautiful bottom who has the power to turn nearly every straight man gay.
- insert rough possesive sex
- Family secrets
- Twink saves the day.
- Caveman saves the twink.
- insert rough possesive sex

My biggest quibble with the story was a purely personal one - meat industry. It played such a big part in the story that it really took away from my enjoyment.

Trio
Whoa, I'm so over Mary Calmes right now. If you're a fan I apologize in advance for offending y'all but dayum - I'm done. Perhaps the day will come when I embrace her again... but for now? no!

It's the ridiculous little things I've just had enough of, most of you know what I'm talkin' about, I'm sure. The same freaking characters that show up over, and over, and over again. The 30 different words for 'cock' she uses (does she ever actually say cock?). If I never read the words "quivering channel"
Meags
4 Stars

I think I’m going to be a big fan of Mary Calmes. No real surprise there – many of my GR friends would rant and rave every time I mentioned I’d never read one of Mary Calmes’ books before, like I was some sort of unforgivable sinner. The fact that they were right and I was wrong doesn’t need to be the focus here, lest they get a big head over it (you know who you are *side-eyes*).

I always love a good sequel; especially a “post-HEA” sequel. Here, we got to revisit Stef and Rand, two years
Denise H.
Yes ! Here we pick up with rancher, big, tough Rand, 33, and his partner, the beautiful man in his life for the past two years, the amazing Stefan.
Stefan, nearly 30, is the blonde finance wiz

who has helped Rand build the Red Diamond Ranch into a self-sustained business, and family haven.
Two years later the men are just as devoted and happy, and their lives have been full of love. The men are still steamy and sexy, and begin talks about having babies. Stefan has been commuting to teach, but wil
AliciaJ
I don't know what it is about these characters, but I just love them. Sure, the story is a bit over the top and self-indulgent, but who cares? Hot cowboys more than make up for it.
Susan
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, comfort-reads
I love Mary Calmes’ everyone-loves-him-and-turns-all-men-gay characters. Stefan just had to smile and everyone came running. I loved it.

And I want a Rand of my own.
MsMiz (Tina)
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt-all, pdf
There better be more stories of Rand and Stef. I WANT to see babies!
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4 Stars***

"I ain't never seen a man who so wanted to belong and who was scared to, all at the same time. It makes me tired just watchin' you wrestle with yourself."

Two years have passed since Stefan and Rand got together. Things are going great. Both men are adjusting and creating a life together. However, Stefan's old fears are hard to shake. Things can't be this perfect, can they? He's just waiting for the other shoe to drop....putting together an exit strategy just in case. And Rand se
Christy
Seeing as how the 'Timing' series is one of my all-time favorites and I've read the two books currently in the series many times over, you can understand my thrill when news that they were being re-released along with gorgeous new covers hit me. Rand and Stefan have always been a part of my favorite couples list and 'After the Sunset' is set two years into their relationship so I get an even better feel of how they are on a day to day basis.

“Just because you live on a ranch doesn’t mean you can
Jaime
I loved this book just as much the second time around!
Rand Holloway is so sexy - just love him!
“You are my life. Nothing else means anything if you’re not here.”
Sigh.
5 stars ..... for the second time!
T.A. Webb
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Everybody wants to touch you all the time. I'm the only one who can't when I want to be the only one that can."

After confessing his attraction to Stefan Joss and winning the man's love, Rand Holloway has talked him into moving to his ranch and starting a new life. But Stef has been playing it safe, holding back. Because Stef is a hard man to pin down, and even harder to make stay. But that is what he wants to do for Rand. Make a home, be a family.

So when he takes a job at the local community c
Leaundra
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book finished. I read it too fast. Let me tell you Stef has got to be one of my favorite people. I love him. I loved him even better in this book, both him and Rand. There was a lot of people I enjoyed in here. I really really hope there's going to be another book in the series...

Update: 11/20/16... Rereading this one again, so I can read the third book in the series. Another beautiful cover.
****This was even better the second around. Just like I said before I love Stef and Rand.
Vicktor Alexander
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: M/M Romance Group, Thorny, Laddie, Matt, Brad, Cole, Jordie, Heather M, EVERYONE
In the book "Timing" I fell in love with the passionate dynamic of Stefan Joss and Rand Holloway. In this book, "After the Sunset," that passionate dynamic, their love for each other, and the lengths that they both will go to to see the other happy, settled, and thriving settled deep into my soul, buried itself and set up shop.

When this book first began I was a little nervous that Stef would still be trying to give himself a way out, an escape plan, just in case things went south with Rand, but
Heller
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm such a sucker for Mary Calmes books and characters. I love that we get to revisit Stefan and Rand two years later to see how life treating them on the Red Diamond.

If I had a complaint it would be that they don't spend enough time together and that's a shame. When they are together it's wonderful to read, they have a sharp compelling chemistry and I couldn't see either one of these guys with anyone else. I love the snapshot of ranch life and wish we'd gotten more of that.

I don't know that w
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
I really enjoyed this series.If you are looking for a fun read this book is for you.
Stefan and Rand one of my favorite couple.

Two years after riding off into the sunset with ranch owner Rand Holloway.Stefan has made a tentative peace with his new life, teaching at a community college.

Finally, after recognizing how unfair he's being, Stef makes a commitment, and Rand is over the moon.

And so am I.

What I like most is the introduction of so many new Characters.I hope the series continues.This series
Brandilyn
Reviewed for Prism Book alliance

I have had Timing on audio for what seems like ever. With almost five years between the release of Timing on Audio and After the Sunset, I was concerned about the differences between the narrations. However, I need not have worried. Sean Crisden brought Stefan and Rand to life in the first installment, and he nailed them again in this installment. I listened to Timing and Sunset back to back and it was a virtually seamless transition between the two.

Jennifer☠Pher☠
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Of course I loved it. Like swimming in sugar and never coming up for air. I am just so very happy now. Read.
⚣❣☙ Cocky™ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
4 Stars
(3.5 for Story, an extra half star for Sean Crisden's narration)

So, it's taken me a while to realize it but I think that every one of MC's books has a version of Jory in it. In this one, it's Stefan. Everyone loves him (even those that try to hate him) and simply either has to touch, feed or fuck him.

At least this story was entertaining with him trying to do the right thing, be the supportive partner. I did like that independent aspect, but sometimes the stubborn was just annoying as hell
Lacey
I liked this continuation of Rand and Stef's story for the most part. I felt like this story was more well written than the last one, and even the characters seemed a little bit more well-rounded and believable. Stef's character especially was more realistic in this one. Unlike in Timing, problems weren't resolved by Stef simply walking into a room or smiling at a woman, and the women didn't fall all over Stef trying to pet him - basically he didn't seem as 'perfect' as he did earlier (however t ...more
Gina
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
 photo 1sm169dance3_zps0ac65558.gif
This was a heart warming, feel good, sweet story. This is 2 years after Rand and Stefan have been together, we first met them in Timing. This took place at a rodeo, Rand is helping a fellow farmer on their ranch and forgot about the rodeo. If the Red Diamond doesn't make an appearance then Rand loses his grazing rights to a parcel of land. Stefan decides to go in Rand's place and doesn't tell him. Now for most of this story we don't see Rand which disappoints me honestly. But watching Stefan na
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Holy Shit I finished this!!! I didn't really like it mostly boring lots of stuff that was confusing or contradictory. I am still not sure what the point of this book was, like it would introduce something and I would think this would lead somewhere but it never did and something new (and still not interesting for me) would be introduced but I am too lazy to write out all of that so Heather C is writing out all the stuff I didn’t like and posting it in her review.

SO for my thoughts check out Hea
A Million More Pages: 2 - After the Sunset (Timing): Apr 21 15 17 Apr 25, 2015 02:30AM
Dreamspinner Press: After the Sunset by Mary Calmes 16 35 Aug 17, 2011 04:37PM
  • Texas Winter (Texas, #2)
  • A Troubled Range (Range, #2)
  • Living Promises (Promises, #3)
  • Natural Disaster (Bareback, #2)
  • Long Tall Drink
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • Inherit the Sky (Lang Downs, #1)
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • Home of His Own (Home, #2)
  • The Broken H (Ranch Series, #2)
  • Shying Away (Shying Away #1)
  • Force of Law
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • Knowing Caleb (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #5)
  • My Cowboy Heart (The Cowboys, #1)
Mary Calmes believes in romance, happily ever afters, and the faith it takes for her characters to get there. She bleeds coffee, thinks chocolate should be its own food group, and currently lives in Kentucky with a five-pound furry ninja that protects her from baby birds, spiders and the neighbor’s dogs. To stay up to date on her ponderings and pandemonium (as well as the adventures of the ninja) ...more
More about Mary Calmes

Timing (3 books)
  • Timing (Timing, #1)
  • When the Dust Settles (Timing, #3)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
  • Wildfire In His Arms
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“And what the fuck were you doing parading around in those jeans and that shirt last—”
“Parading?”
“You are not allowed to put on your fuck-me clothes if I ain’t there to do the fucking!”
32 likes