Start by marking “Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home” as Want to Read:
Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home

Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  423 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Extreme Brewing is a recipe-driven resource for aspiring home brewers who are interested in recreating these specialty beers at home, but don't have the time to learn the in-depth science and lore behind home-brewing. As such, all recipes are malt-syrup based (the simplest brewing method) with variations for partial-grain brewing. While recipes are included for classic bee ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Quarry Books (first published October 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Extreme Brewing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extreme Brewing

Valerie Sherman
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
My husband and I have done some brewing kits, but we bought this book and the next batch of home brew we make is going to come from one of these recipes. The book really clarifies the steps of brewing and has clear ingredient lists. To be honest, all I needed to see for the four-star rating was Blood Orange Hefeweizen.
Patrick
Aug 19, 2009 rated it liked it
There was some good information in this book to complement my Charlie Papazian books on brewing and I really hope I can try some of the recipes since I love Dogfish Head beers so much and Sam Calagione is the Brewer God of Dogfish Head.
Tim
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drink
This is a good book for the novice/not-yet-hardcore home brewer. Home brewing has rapidly grown in popularity since this came out, and there is a lot more information out there these days, but this is still a worthwhile book. For me it was both an enjoyable read, and a source of recipes to try. These are all malt extract recipes (as opposed to all grain), and they include a number of popular Dogfish Head releases, as well as a few from other well-known craft breweries. (The author is the founder ...more
John Hubbard
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't find this the most useful. But a beautiful book.
Joseph
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It is a shame that I bought this off of the bargain rack at Barnes & Noble. After Joy of Home Brewing this should be a staple for those wanting to go beyond clone beers. The author (who also owns Dogfish Head brewery) takes only the first 1/3 of the book to explain the brewing process. The rest is devoted to helping you innovate and experiment in the new class of American craft brewing. Explanations are clear and concise with little filler text. Most importantly are the large, clear color ph ...more
Don
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
The author’s Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware is known for its brash and unique brews, such as Midas Touch (an ancient recipe from the 8th Century BC brewed with Muscat grapes, honey, and saffron) and Raison D’Être (Belgian-style brown ale brewed with beet sugar and raisins). Extreme Brewing includes home-brewing recipes for classic ales and lagers, but focuses on hybrid styles that also use fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices. Plenty of information is provided about equipment, ingredients, and ...more
Ryan Sestric
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Again, with other brewing books, I did not read the entire thing, as there is a lot of redundant (albeit important) information that you get from homebrewing books. This book has some really amazing recipes, but a lot of them are higher in alcohol content than I prefer. But, it IS extreme brewing, so I should just except that. I really enjoyed the use of atypical ingredients and their applications in brewing. Very good info, and it's from a pretty trusted source! Yay Dogfish Head Brewing!
Jon Lefor
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book geared towards new homebrewers, it takes you step by step through brewing your first extract batch and beyond. All of the recipes shared throughout the text are extract partial mash but from the fantastic brain of Sam Calagione they are exciting recipes and at the very least idea builders for future batches.
He covers all manner of topics and it is overall an enjoyable read that was worth it.
Aaron
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A focus on partial extract brewing, but its still an excellent little book. Covers a wide range of beers, and recipies for them rather quickly, but they are fairly straight foward. He also covers additions, to make the beer different, and a quick coverage of how to do a high ABV brew. Interesting stuff. He likes carboys rather than plastic. Well, really, who doesn't.

Now can he pay for equipment?
Sagely
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Extremem Brewing has great photography. That needs to be said. This is a brew book worth looking at, even if only for the pictures.

EB also offers some decent recipes in the bigger-is-better vane of homebrewing. There are a couple of techniques that I'll put into use. And the beer-food pairings are a great resource.

Worthwhile, even if not earth-moving.
  • Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them
  • Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass
  • The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food
  • The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
  • How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right the First Time
  • The Brewer's Apprentice: An Insider's Guide to the Art and Craft of Beer Brewing, Taught by the Masters
  • Brewing Better Beer: Master Lesson for Advanced Homeowners
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition
  • The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation