Start by marking “The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service” as Want to Read:
The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service

The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service

Lara Madigan has a gift. She can help you find your soulmate—your canine soulmate, that is. As a dog trainer with a soft spot for strays, she’s found perfect homes for sulky Shih Tzus, broken-down Border collies, and diabolical Dalmatians. But while she’ll always make room for one more rescue mutt, she’s not sure she’s ready to commit to another human being. Especially aft ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Berkley Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service

kari
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Doggonit! Cute premise if the book was actually about what is the proposed idea of the book according to the blurb. Unfortunately, what you get is trying to be a romance novel without the romance. Didn't work for me, not that I minded the direction where the story went romantically speaking, but it felt too coincincidental and also, not even central to the story. Just felt like Lara never really learned what I was hoping she would learn along the way.
Lara, unfortunately, is the problem I had mos
Zann
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-general
Linda
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love dogs and I love Beth Kendrick's books, so reading this book was a no-brainer. Don't let the cute cover fool you -- this isn't some fluffy chick lit book. Kendrick does a wonderful job of exploring the complex relationship between mothers and daughters and fathers and daughters, and how our past relationships impact our future decisions. Anyone who loves dogs will certainly love all of the cute canines in this book that Kendrick so skillfully brings to life, but beyond the dog fare is a we ...more
Michelle Robinson
Jan 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really enjoy reading books that includes dogs. I am a dog person. I like seeing people who enjoy animals in novels and in nonfiction.
This novel did not do it for me though. I wanted to read a light, airy little novel about a dog walker with the uncanny skill to match the correct dog with the correct person.

I did want to see the animals treated well but I also need to see the people that the dog lovers come in contact with treated well also. At the very least, it would have been nice to see on
Meredith Schorr
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having grown up with a mostly absent father and a sometimes overly critical mother, Lara Madigan has always been more comfortable with and trusting of dogs than with people, with the exception of her best friend Kerri and her live-in boyfriend Evan. Unfortunately, when the dogs take over her house and home, it drives a wedge between Lara and Evan. As her career with canines hits an all-time high, Lara is forced to come to terms with her human connections.

I adored this book! Beth Kendrick fleshe
Leona
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I read this as part of our Library Valentines "Blind Date" program. You walked into the library and picked from a stack of a books that were wrapped. I thought this was rather clever, and even though I already had a Valentines date with my husband, I figured what the heck. I always enjoy a surprise.

This turned out to be a very light hearted read. I would have enjoyed it a bit more had the author further explored the relationship and character development. But still kin of fun if you enjoy a fur
Jenn O'Brien
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the perfect book for a Sunday afternoon, a pitcher of pink lemonade, light jazz on the radio and a comfortable reading chair on the patio. It is light and breezy and just right for any dog lover.

The characters in this book are a lot of fun, they all had such varied personalities and backgrounds that it made for an interesting group. I adored the Jane Austen couple - how much fun to have a Austen-esqe house in the middle of Arizona.
Jen
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, 2012
Update 6/14/2012: I originally gave this book 3 stars, but after talking to a friend about it ... I am revising it to 4 stars. She brought up some good points, which were (1) Did you care about the characters (human and canine); (2) Did you care how it ended; (3) Did you feel parts of it were accurately portrayed (not too sticky sweet). The answer to all three questions is yes. Therefore, aside from the way it was written, I think it is a good story. Once I started discussing it, I realized I ac ...more
Marcy Graybill
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Lauren
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I saw this at the library and since I love any stories that deal with dogs, I thought I'd pick it up. Kendrick wrote a delightful book. Lara is the "doggie matchmaker" she looks at people and can almost instantly match a person up with their ideal canine soulmate. She's very devoted to her dogs and we see how that affects her relationship with her boyfriend and her very prim & proper mother.
Definitely a great light-hearted read, had just the right amount of humor,
Lauren R.
This book is definitely a solid choice for the dog-obsessed reader. Unfortunately that's not really me lol. I didn't mind the story overall but nearly all of the characters annoyed me so much. Her parents were the woooorst in very different ways. I wasn't surprised by the ending either. Very little romance too.
Lea
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: dogs, romance
What's not to love about a dog-trainer/rescuer/matchmaker? I appreciate a book about rescue dogs, with a bit of romance, and just a little bit of angst. The main focus of the story was Lara and her daily adventures with dogs, and it was fun to read.
Amy
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Light and funny, yet a good story. Great characters and dialogue. Obviously an experienced dog lover wrote this book. Loved the dog characters too - Kendrick made them their personalities come to life on page.
Vickie
What a fun book! Lara Madigan is part dog rescuer, matchmaker, and trainer. I loved the topics covered: rescue vs puppy mills; absentee father; self-made mother; self discovery. There was all of this in this fun read on a lazy afternoon!

Go Cards! L1C4!!
Shannon Bradley
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute and easy read. I read it straight through during a sleepless night and it kept me interested and amused. Definitely worth a read if you have a chance.
Deanna
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book. Loved it from start to finish.
Cindy Roesel
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review first appeared at Chick Lit Central Blog!

Just like the doggies in the window on the cover of THE LUCKY DOG MATCHMAKING SERVICE, you won’t be able to resist Beth Kendrick’s new novel of the same name. I’ve been writing reviews long enough for CLC that you should know by now I’m a dog fanatic, but if you don’t, well, I am. This book had me excited with the title, thrilled by the cover and once I started reading it, well, let’s just say, you have to go buy a copy immediately!

Lara Madiga
Barbara
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
There's chick-lit, and then there's a book like "The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service." Don't let the category put you off; this one is worth the time and it's fun. Especially if you like dogs and can understand that life doesn't always work to pattern.

Our heroine, Lara, is a dog trainer/rescuer who has a knack for finding just the right person for a dog in need. But her own life is not so well-ordered; boyfriend troubles put Lara into a difficult situation with her uber-perfectionist mother, and i
Hannah
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great light read. It features Lara, who has stumbled into her perfect career of working with dogs. She is a pharmaceutical rep for vets and that leads her into meeting dogs that have been abandoned and given up for a variety of reasons. But Lara has a secret skill of matching people to their soulmate dog. However, she often has 4-5 dogs in her house until she finds them their forever home. And her fiance announces that he is "not a dog person". Homeless, she returns to live with ...more
Alice
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun book about 30ish woman who rescues dogs and matches them with the perfect people. She has a mom who wants her to be glamorous, a father who wants to be the fun parent, a boyfriend who thinks she's taken dog rescue too far, and a girlfriend who is equally crazy about dogs.

Light, fun, and I learned a bit about dog training and dog shows. Strong dialogue, good humor, engaging.

This is classified as chick lit, but the characters aren't featherheaded as they have been in some chick lit I've read
Cyndee Thomas
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pet-fiction
This book is for pet lovers and romance readers! I enjoyed the characters and the Dogs. It has many moments of funny situations. Read and see if a Dog leads to the guy you love at last. I highly recommend this quick read. The Author captures the story to relate to finding a perfect match when it comes to L-O-V-E. The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service

**** Reviewed Public Library Copy. This is my opinion only.
Jaye
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Don't judge my trash dammit. I just adopted a new mutt and he's making me insane, this book is just what I needed to lighten my mood and relax. And honestly, I thought that the character of the protagonist's mother was really well written. Just reading her made me uncomfortable to be quite honest. This isn't high art, but it was a well written light read that had some really good character development.
Amanda
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Totally cute book! This was a first time read for me by Beth Kendrick and I have to say I enjoyed it. I actually found myself trying to guess which dog she would pair up with which person!! I laughed at times and got teary eye'd at others and I think all of those things combined make for a great book. The story was well developed and I enjoyed the characters. If you are looking for a cute easy read then this book is for you... only if you like dogs though;)
Cindy
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
I really enjoyed this book as a light and fun kinda read! I loved the dogs and the matchmaking service the main character Lara provided; Matchmaking for dogs and humans that is! It was a good premise and a fulfilling story with only the ending being a bit rushed for me. Otherwise, enjoyable and recommended!
Casey Laura Campbell
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am giving this novel 5 stars for what it is. A fun uplifting novel for dog lovers everywhere. It is very light and easy to read. I finished it very quickly. It isn't meant to be deep or make you think too hard. It's a perfect novel to pass time when you're having anxiety or just need a distraction while tanning or in general.
amy
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
a fun read. i enjoyed it more than kendrick's other book the bake off. had it not been 2am already with my poor husband trying to sleep with my light still on, i would have definitely finished the whole thing in one read.
Andy
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was good for my soul. If you like plucky heroines who borderline on being hot messes but find their way after clearing several obstacles, and more importantly if you have ever had that one special dog find you, you will enjoy this book.
Haley
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Teri Wilson
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Light, fun chick-lit read for dog lovers!! It had a fun surprise twist at the end.
Peggy
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute, fun book.
  • Picture This (Rocky Pelligrino, #2)
  • Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts
  • Everything but a Dog (Everything But...Series, #6)
  • Pug Hill
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • Heaven Scent
  • Stay
  • The Wedding Beat
  • Sugar and Spice
  • City Girl, Country Vet (Talyton St George, #1)
  • Vanity Fare
  • How Sweet It Is (Heart of Carolina #2)
  • The Garden Angel
  • Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4)
  • Off the Menu
  • Semi-Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes
  • Beautiful Creatures
  • Inklings (The Oxford Chronicles #1)
This is the part where I’m supposed to brag about all my illustrious accomplishments, but honestly, I’d rather talk about my dogs and brag about some of the things I haven’t done:

I’ve never been to prison*, court-ordered rehab*, or splashed across the cover of a salacious weekly gossip tabloid with my ladybits on display**.

I’m a Leo, a middle child, and a formidable Trivial Pursuit opponent. I re