Start by marking “The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui” as Want to Read:
The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui

The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,279 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
In this savage and witty parable written in exile in 1941, Brecht recasts the rise of Hitler as a small-time Chicago gangster's takeover of the city's greengrocery trade. This prizewinning translation by Ralph Manheim skilfully captures the wide range of parody and pastiche in the original - from Richard III to Al Capone, from Mark Antony to Faust - without diminishing the ...more
Published September 3rd 2015 by Methuen Modern Plays (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui

David Schaafsma
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, politics
The Resistible Rise of Fascism in 2017

“Art is not a mirror held up to reality but a hammer with which to shape it.” --Brecht

1. Trump claims because he is famous he has premier access to any woman he wants; he can just grab her pussy or whatever he wants.
2. Several women from his past claim sexual harassment.
3. Trump denies all claims of above and commits to defund Planned Parenthood and other organizations devoted to women’s equality, at the same time claiming he “loves all women, and they love
Manny
Not and I have this long-running argument about translations. In nearly every case, I think it's better to read the original, even if my knowledge of the source language isn't particularly good: it means I'm hearing what the author actually said, as opposed to what the translator thought they said. Not disagrees, but I find her arguments unconvincing.

Or, to be more exact, I find her arguments unconvincing in most cases; there are a few rare exceptions. I think this is one of them. Brecht had the
Çağdaş T
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, library, mitosboyut
Brecht, Arturo Ui nezdinde aslında Hitler'in yükselişini anlatıyor. Hitler'in Almanya'da iktidar oluş çabaları ve yaşanan olaylar günümüz Türkiye'siyle o kadar örtüşüyor ki şaşırmamak elde değil.
Fabio Pontiggia
Storie di gangster, cavolfiori e totalitarismi
È il 1941, e Brecht trasforma in «commedia parabolica» l'avvento del nazismo, traslando e semplificando eventi storici di modo da rendere comprensibile al mondo capitalistico la presa del potere da parte di Hitler.

L'azione viene spostata negli Stati Uniti, la Germania diventa Chicago, l'Austria Cicero; i personaggi principali dell'opera sono il gangster in ascesa Arturo Ui/Adoolf Hitler, i suoi sgherri Ernesto Roma (Ernst Röhm), Emanuele Giri (Herma
Μαρία Γεωργιάδου
3,5* | Ένα θεατρικό που, σύμφωνα με τον Μπρεχτ, γράφτηκε για να εξηγήσει στον καπιταλιστικό κόσμο την άνοδο του φασισμού και γι' αυτό τοποθετείται στο οικείο περιβάλλον ενός τραστ. Εμένα βέβαια ακριβώς αυτό ήταν και το κομμάτι που με δυσκόλεψε -αγνοώ τους τρόπους λειτουργίας του καπιταλιστικού συστήματος της εποχής.

Σε κάθε περίπτωση, πρόκειται για μία σαφή αλληγορία που γίνεται ακόμη σαφέστερη από τις επεξηγηματικές πινακίδες που εμφανίζονται στο τέλος κάθε σκηνής. Στην πραγματικότητα, είναι έν
Tyler Jones
I read this close on the heals of a biography of Hitler and found that Brecht did a great job using this parable to show how the rise of Hitler came about.

The epilogue is chilling:

Therefore learn how to see and not to gape.
To act instead of talking all day long.
The world was almost won by such an ape!
The nations put him where his kind belong.
But don't rejoice too soon at your escape -
The womb he crawled from is still going strong.
Mélanie
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I was obliged to, but I can tell I loved Brecht's parallelism. Having read various biographies of Hitler, this was supposed to be no different, but instead this was definitely my favourite. It must have been the wit, the characters, even the catchy setting or the language used. My personal favourite bit is when Ernesto Roma tells him (read it in Albanian so the following is my adaption) "Step on the world, but not on your same feet", inferring Ui's betrayal to him, as part of ...more
Jalen Lyle-Holmes
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Found it very hard to get into initially, I think it would be a lot easier in performance. It would function perfectly well on its own terms without any knowledge of what it is representing (Hitlet's rise), which I think is part of good theatrical allegory or metaphor.
Jolien
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
not my kinda book
Kaleidograph
Als jemand, der 50 Jahre nach dem Ende des zweiten Weltkriegs in Österreich aufgewachsen ist, hatte ich irgendwie - vielleicht verständlicher-, vielleicht verurteilungswürdigerweise - in meinen frühen Erwachsenenjahren eine ziemliche Abneigung gegen jegliche Form von Bellestristik entwicklet, die sich des zweiten Weltkriegs als Thema bedient. Mein damaliger bester Freund hat mir daraufhin unhaltbaren Lesesnobbismus vorgeworfen und gemeint meine Aversion sei ebenso absurd wie wenn ich sämtliche B ...more
Bridget
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brecht's comedic look at how Hitler came to rise. Hitler is in the form of Arturo Ui, a man who claims to be "for the people," especially those in the cauliflower trade. Ui does bad things and allows bad things to happen, but people doubt it could be him because he is interested in protecting "The common man."

It is a serious look into what can happen if people don't learn their history.
Realini
The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui by Bertold Brecht
Der aufhaltsame Aufstieg des Arturo Ui

Spoiler alert: I will not give you away the finale, the author does. He thinks the Ascension can be stopped. But since I did not enjoy what I heard of the play, I am likely to write about anything except Brecht.
There have been a small series of accidents, books that I did not enjoy.
With Zhivago and Prometheus Bound, there is he Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui.
Yes, the message is worthy and the title, from where
Keith
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of my favorite Brecht plays are those written while he was in a self-imposed exile from Germany following Hitler’s rise to Chancellor (1933), including The Life of Galileo, The Good Person of Szechwan, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, The Visions of Simone Marchard, and this play.

The dynamic time period, and his life in exile, seemed to focus Brecht and, in his better plays of this period, limited his odd theories about socialism (as in The Threepenny Opera). In this time of unprecedented strif
Licia
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una lettura che non si può affrontare a cuor leggero, sia per il contenuto dell'opera ma anche per il genere teatrale che l'autore ha scelto.
L'opera teatrale appartiene al teatro epico brechtiano, dove lo spettatore/lettore rimane distante dagli avvenimenti narrati, sviluppa un pensiero critico e comprende che quella rappresentazione è una parabola della sua contemporaneità, solo sublimata in un'altra epoca e ambientazione.
L'Arturo Ui è l'allegoria dell'ascesa al potere di Hitler in Germania:
Harry Boyd
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, favourites
Bertolt Brecht was a genius. This play is fantastic, I couldn't talk about all the reasons why I think this because there are just too many. To list a few, the parallels between the play and the rise of Hitler in the Weimar Republic are masterfully presented and very true to real historical events. All Brecht's qualities like spass, the alienation effect, demonstration of characters and presentation to spectators are all present here. But the best thing about it is what the title suggests, Artur ...more
tomwrote
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I've never read any Brecht before, and he takes a little getting used to, if this is anything to go by.

A funny; both ha-ha and odd, parody of Hitler's rise to power, and more importantly the circumstances that allowed it, using an Al Capone stand in taking over the cauliflower business in Chicago.

Chilling, mechanical, smart, emotionally distancing, controlled, didactic, selective, political...there is a lot going on, even before noting that the play has Shakespeare references galore and is wri
Naushika
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein nicht zufassender Plot, welche sich schlussendlich als kongruent zu Hitlers Aufstieg herausstellt. Vorallem die wirtschaftlichen Hintergründe waren mir vorher unbekannt und der Zwang dem Hindenburg durch den Trick der Geschäftsleute ausgesetzt war.

Die abschließende Bemerkung Brechts ist "to-read-again". Es wird erklärt wie wichtig es ist historische Größe zu dekonstruieren und vorallem bei Schlächtern nicht ihre Rücksichtslosigkeit in Betreff Menschenleben mit Strategie oder sogar Überlegenh
Katie
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book that I have to read for class it was very enjoyable. The idea of taking something something as huge as the nazi's rise to power and placing it in a setting of something so dull as the power of cauliflower selling. I particularly loved the epilogue "But do not rejoice too soon at your escape — The womb he crawled from is still going strong."
Bryan
Hitler re-imagined as Chicago gangster. What else might you want?
Lina
I love Brecht, and I pretty much love all of his plays. Including this one.
Alex
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever wonder what Hitler might be like as a Chicago gangster who monopolized the cauliflower racket? Me too.
Sammy
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read, performed and watched in Ms. Gelfand's drama class
Steven
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, german
Educational microcosm and parody that describes the rise of Hitler as an American mobster transplanted to America and Chicago to help American audiences understand the growing threat in Europe.
Terry
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read what the different characters represented...and then I really enjoyed this!
Brooke
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, textbooks
This was a chore to read. I bet it would be fun to watch, though.
Kevin
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'm somewhat fond of Brecht, and tragicomic plays like this, which explains Hitler's rise via the story of a two-bit gangster from Chicago, are the reason why.
elenirou
Έχω μείνει άφωνη.
Mladoria
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mesdames et Messieurs, le sieur Brecht va vous raconter une histoire de gangsters. Toute ressemblance avec des faits existants ou ayant existé n'est pas purement fortuite. La résistible ascension d'Arturo Ui ou Comment un auteur allemand exilé en Finlande, porte en 1941, un regard au vitriol et fatalement lucide de ce que subissent ses contemporains en transposant l'actualité dans le Chicago du temps de Capone.

Que vous dire si ce n'est de lire ce livre, un style de prose poétique mirifique et m
Pipsytips
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This play was AMAZING. It hit the feels (as all the fledglings are saying nowadays).

So many times during this book I was in utter shock and disbelief that such things could take place, and had to keep reminding myself it was just a play.... and then I remembered this was an interpretation of REAL LIFE. These horrific things actually happened, and they can happen at any time again if we are not careful.

The epilogue just reminds us that this could happen to anyone. Anyone has the ability to beco
  • Kaspar and Other Plays
  • Aurélien
  • The Complete Plays: The Hostage / The Quare Fellow / Richard's Cork Leg
  • Naked Masks: Five Plays
  • Under Satan's Sun
  • Wanderer, kommst du nach Spa...
  • Hamletmachine and Other Texts for the Stage
  • The Deputy
  • The Complete Plays of Gilbert and Sullivan
  • Tiny Alice
  • Danton's Death, Leonce and Lena, Woyzeck
  • Andorra
  • Fureur et mystère
  • The Journal of Jules Renard
Bertolt Brecht (born Eugen Berthold Friedrich Brecht) was a German poet, playwright, and theatre director. A seminal theatre practitioner of the twentieth century, Brecht made equally significant contributions to dramaturgy and theatrical production, the latter particularly through the seismic impact of the tours undertaken by the Berliner Ensemble—the post-war theatre company operated by Brecht a ...more
More about Bertolt Brecht...

Fiction Deals

• Where We Fall
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Over the Plain Houses
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Deep Harbor (Northern Lights, #2)
  • Mustard Seed
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • Coffee Will Make You Black: A Novel
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.: A Novel
  • 600 Hours of Edward
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
    $4.99 $1.99
“If we could learn to look instead of gawking,
We'd see the horror in the heart of farce,
If only we could act instead of talking,
We wouldn't always end up on our arse.
This was the thing that nearly had us mastered;
Don't yet rejoice in his defeat, you men!
Although the world stood up and stopped the bastard,
The bitch that bore him is in heat again.”
14 likes
“Therefore learn how to see and not to gape.
To act instead of talking all day long.
The world was almost won by such an ape!
The nations put him where his kind belong.
But don't rejoice too soon at your escape -
The womb he crawled from is still going strong.”
11 likes