Start by marking “The Lemming Condition” as Want to Read:
The Lemming Condition

The Lemming Condition (Bubber #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Bubber's family was getting ready. So were all the other lemming families in burrow after burrow, deep under the ground. It was the morning of the great march west and the leap into the sea. Bubber was looking forward to it, until his friend Crow started asking him questions.
"What is this march?" asked Crow. "You go down to the cliffs and jump into the ocean and swim aroun
Published October 18th 1989 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Lemming Condition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lemming Condition

Joy
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most influential books of my early childhood. I recently found it amongst various sentimental items that I had stored away in boxes. I just reread it and was somewhat proud of my younger self for having absorbed the powerful message at such a young age. I'm looking forward to passing this book on to my kids.

No one... not our friends, not even our own beloved parents and siblings can dictate our choices. A great way to introduce the idea of free will and personal accountabili
Julia
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
A friend recommended this book as the most disturbing children's book--so of course I was intrigued. Basically, your cute and furry creature is a lemming named Blubber, who must decide between taking the plunge or saving his inner child. I found this book hilarious and disturbing in one sitting. This book would pair well with the classic White Wilderness lemming debacle (see the snopes link) and a glass of cabernet.

Laurette
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from childhood. But very disturbing. May not be suitable for very young children.
Raphael Chan
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This book's story is pretty interesting because in the story the characters were talking about going west into the ocean. At first I thought that they were going to swim or something, but then when I got to the end it turned out that they were all suiciding by jumping into ocean, but leaving a few babies behind to start their civilization all over again, which I thought was very queer. Also, the main character, Bubber, was too full of fear that he didn't suicide like all the others.
Volkert
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short, juvenile book about a lemming named Bubber, who questions the great lemming migration into the sea. The moral: don't follow the crowd. An excellent story, too bad it has a few "hells" in it, which spoils it as children's literature.
Ødegård Solveig
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: speech, fiction
3.5 stars. Would love to perform this story as a stageplay! Funny, witty and taunting.
Mark Barnes
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed Spencer Johnson's Who Moved My Cheese, I think you'll love The Lemming Condition. Similar in its brevity (Lemming is a 20-30 minute read), Alan Arkin's nifty story is an allegory on conformity. Starring a confused Lemming named Bubber, who can't figure out why his race is so eager to storm off of a cliff and fall to their death, the protagonist spends the entire story questioning his fate and the motives of his mammal race.

As the death march approaches, Bubber considers the varyi
Katie
Jul 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE!!
Oh my gosh. This is quite possibly my least favorite book of all time! (besides Twilight. Maybe)

Basically, it's about an adorable little animal.

Then, (view spoiler)

That's it. Now, I understand this is probably supposed to be for younger kids, and about peer pressure and stuff, but it's almost disturbing. I read this when I was 11 for an assignment, and I hated it.

Basically, if you have a choice, don't read it.
Letticia
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was read to me in elementary school and I remember really loving it, so I bought it now. I really remember the story being so much longer but that must be because I was a child. I still really love this story about the nonconformist lemming. This is a great story to read to your children as it will teach them to question everything and think for themselves.
Bella
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • Vulpes the Red Fox
  • Tears and Tantrums: What to Do When Babies and Children Cry
  • I Already Know I Love You
  • Aama, 2: La multitud invisible (Aâma #2)
  • Rosalie Blum 1
  • Amkoullel, l'enfant Peul
  • Micawber
  • George
  • Le Photographe - Tome 1
  • Santa Paws To The Rescue (Santa Paws, #4)
  • Te di la vida entera
  • Guests of War Trilogy: The Sky is Falling / Looking at the Moon / The Lights Go On Again
  • The Better Man