Start by marking “Marquis Vol. 1: Danse Macabre” as Want to Read:
Marquis Vol. 1: Danse Macabre

Marquis Vol. 1: Danse Macabre (The Marquis)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
It was during the 18th century that the Ministry of Inquisition ruled over the lands of Venisalle. In the world of The Marquis, faith and religion are the strict laws of life and death. It is into this world that the souls of hell have escaped to sin, murder, and be free by taking possession of the living. During this time, a man of the Inquisition finds himself blessed wi ...more
Published September 28th 2001 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Marquis Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marquis Vol. 1

D.M.
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I've been a fan of Guy Davis since the first appearance of Baker Street way back when, and am always interested to see what he produces, especially on his own. This is the first of three volumes of The Marquis, but the only one I've read or own. There's a reason for that.
There's an interesting story here, but Davis should have stuck to his original impulse to make it a shorter one. As it's turned out, though his art is possibly at it's best, the writing is so painfully overdone, and scenes so re
Orrin Grey
Jun 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Confession time: I am a late convert to Guy Davis's artwork. For those of you who're already converted, there's probably not much I need to say about his solo project The Marquis. It's frequently inspired--especially the creatures--and it's a pretty perfect showcase for his talents. I found the story itself to lag in places, but the setting and tone and, yes, again, the creatures are all more or less pitch perfect.

There are a couple more volumes of this, which I'll be eager to check out.
Bob Fingerman
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Guy Davis is one of the unsung heroes of modern comics. He's what I might call a cartoonist's cartoonist. People in the trade know how good he is, but he should be one of the leading lights; a STAR.

Many comics fans know his work as the illustrator of B.P.R.D., the spin-off of Mike Mignola's Hellboy (not to mention countless other gigs), but not as many know what a fine writer he is as well. The Marquis, Davis's theologically embattled protagonist, anchors this series, which has surprising gravit
Electric
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-in-2010
My "how to create graphic novesl" teacher gave me this edition and told me Id like it. He was right. The Marquis tells a story revolving around faith, duty, the devil and a religious dictatorship. The artwork is outstanding. Shades of grey, rough inks and a sketchy feeling to the whole book match the atmosphere of an imagined 18th century france perfectly. I am really looking forward to a new edition called "Inferno" that includes the second part "Intermezzo" - and the following titles in the se ...more
Keith
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I liked the story as an introduction and I love Guy Davis' art. Andrea mentioned while flipping through it that it like kind of busy, or something along those lines. I remember thinking while reading BPRD that if it wasn't for the color it would have been a mess but now I'm not so sure. Instead of colors there's a bunch of grey "zipatone" patterns which looks kind of overwhelming when you glance over it but is really immersive while reading.
Christopherseelie
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great graphic novel set in an 18th century Paris-inspired city where a ruling theocracy has fallen into decadence and depravity. One man becomes the cleansing tool of Hell to return the escaped souls of the Damned that have latched themselves onto the souls of the living like demonic parasites.
The world of masks, the seen and unseen, and agonies of doubt make this book similar to the Milos Foreman film Amadeus. Private weakness and public stature make a volatile combination.
Will
Feb 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Guy Davis's character-owned series, The Marquis is a remarkable rarity: a horror comic that is genuinely frightening. Davis has a vaunted talent for designing monsters, but he's also a cunning storyteller. His Marquis stories play wonderfully both as individual adventures and as the ongoing, twisted tale of a wicked paladin in a sinful world. There's an incredible blend of atmosphere and action in these books.
Michael Liggett
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a horribly beautiful book giving a modern touch to classical superstition and religious shame. The art is somehow dirty yet clean at the same time and one is easily immersed into such a strange yet familiar world. This book made me care about the Baroque era, too!

It's a must read for anyone into Mignola-esque retro horror comics or fans of religious barbarism.
Ben
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely my favorite graphic novel of all time. This is my "Watchmen," which I thought was good, but for my money doesn't hold a candle to Guy Davis' creation. I don't think a more disturbing vision of Hell exists.
Ryan McArthur
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love the marquis books, they are fantastic. Is he a madman, fighting demons only he can see, or is he a lone hunter, fighting down evil?
Brandon
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brandon by: Hogie Pants
Shelves: graphic-novel
nice alternate historical setting. verbose, but not a hindrance. two thumbs up for art-twist in last chapter.
Venessa
Aug 31, 2008 rated it liked it
The writing was good, although the illustrations were hard to see sometimes. I liked the plot: sin and vigilantes and the Devil. A nice escape from the harsh reality of school on a Sunday morning!
Eric
Apr 19, 2011
Nick
May 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Guy Davis is a comic book artist primarily known for his work on Sandman Mystery Theatre and the Hellboy spin-off B.P.R.D. He is also the creator of The Nevermen and The Marquis.

See Guy Davis for the author of Children's books.
More about Guy Davis