Start by marking “Stella, Queen of the Snow (Stella and Sam)” as Want to Read:
Stella, Queen of the Snow (Stella and Sam)

Stella, Queen of the Snow (Stella)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  523 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Winter was never so magical as in this marvelous book about Stella and Sam discovering a familiar landscape transformed by a heavy snowfall. Sam makes his very first snowstorm, and, as usual, he has lots of questions: Where do snowmen sleep? Can you eat a snowflake? Do snow angels sing? Older and bolder, Stella knows all the answers, and she delights in showing Sam the man
Published October 30th 2000 by Groundwood Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Stella, Queen of the Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stella, Queen of the Snow

midnightfaerie
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Wonderful book! Cute little girl introducing snow for the first time to her little brother. Beautiful illustrations and a story both my twin 3 yr olds and my 6 yr old enjoyed. A great family book. Highly recommended!
Kaethe
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved the way Stella stands out against all the white space.

Library copy
Raelynn
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this with my 5yr old goddaughter this morning. We had our first big snowfall so it seemed fitting. Very cute story with bright illustrations. Fun for both of us!
Ryan M. Hanna
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sort of cute.
Sophie
Mar 21, 2017 added it
I read this one at the LaSalle Library with daddy today. The little boy asked a lot of questions, and I asked a few questions about Stella, too.
Rainey
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think Stella loves snow as much as I do :)
Laurie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Natalie Cosellian
1. Stella and her brother sam explore what snow has to offer. They go ice skating, build snow and and make snow angels, and go sledding. Sam has a lot of questions for Stella and she answers them the best she can.
2. This book made connections with chapter seven in our textbook. It has a lot of examples of similes such as "soft as baby rabbit fur" and " cold as vanilla ice cream". This book is great for providing ideas of what children can do outside in the snow.
3. I liked this book because it r
Jared White
Stella is always ready for anything; her brother, Sam, is always a little reluctant to try anything new. Sam is full of questions; Stella always has an answer (whether it's a fact or something she made up on her own).

This is the second Stella book I've read and they're really fun. I would actually give this 3.5 stars, if I could. I'm not sure why but I feel like I should like these books better than I do. I love Sam's inquisitiveness and Stella's imagination. Maybe what holds me back from likin
Hope L. Justice
Although the relationship between Stella and Sam is really cute, I don't find this original. It reminds me so much of Max & Ruby, which is another series people seem to really love that I don't. Stella is a know-it all. She tells Sam things that he readily believes because he trusts her. The illustrations are super cute, and with the snow, kind of dazzling. I just don't find Stella likable. I think the formatting (Stella said, Sam said) is annoying. I would find this exchange more cute if th ...more
Dawn
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We have recently been talking about similes and this book had a lot of great examples.

Loved the questions in this book. Some of them are questions many people wonder about. Others were questions that my students had never even thought to ask. They were quite captured by this story, which surprised me, since it is quite a simple story. Often the best ones are the simplest.

These two characters reminded my students of Max and Ruby. Me too!

I got to hear Marie-Louise Gay speak one time at Kaleidoscop
Aneesa
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stella has bright red hair just like you-know-who.
Bev Walkling
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this to my 3 year old grand-daughter. She speaks very little French, but this was the version I had which tells the story of Stella and her little brother Sacha who is experiencing his very first snow storm. The illustrations are wonderful and I was able to read it to her in French and translate it with just a little help from her Dad. (I learned some new words in French - like goosebumps!). She loved it! (so did I!)
Linda
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood, christmas
I just discovered a brand new heroine - Stella - authoritative, creative, absolutely whimsical, big sister to James who is a bit more on the cautious side. I think she has been around for a few years, but that's what happens when the kids are grown and I haven't started buying books for grandchildren yet.
Amy Stipp
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Did you forget how to enjoy snow? Reading this will jog your memory as Stella and her brother Sam have a new snow adventure at the turn of each page. This would be a great big book to get and read to the younger students on a blistery, snowy day. Turns out their snow adventures in Europe parallel mine in Chicago.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Stella brings her little brother outside to play with her in the snow and Sam is just full of questions. As they talk about snowflakes, make a snowman, ice skate, watch their breath, make a fort and have a snowball fight, sleigh ride, observe the birds and make snow angels Stella answers all Sam’s questions in both the factual and whimsical way that children observe and think of snow.

Megan
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-lit
I really only gave this a 2 because I was hoping it would be for a younger audience (ie my 2 year old) but it was still really cute. I'm sure he'll like it when he gets older. Especially since it did such a good job of describing snow and different activities to do in the snow--something we don't have much experience with here in southern Arizona!
Jalm Riddle
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-prek
Alea totally LOVED this book at four years old. It is an enchanting tell with cute characters. More of a reminiscent book than one with a plot. Explores the curiosity of children with their natural world. The illustrations are delightful as well.
babyhippoface
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
An extended conversation between an imaginative little girl and her younger brother is the basis for this book that has some truly lovely moments as the siblings explore their snow-filled world.

Do snow angels sing? Sam asks. Yes! Can't you hear them?
Chelsea Bucci
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This story begins with talking about a boy named Sam and his sister Stella. It is Sams first snowstorm. Stella talks with him about all the characteristics of snow. They eat snowflakes, make a snowman, skate in a pond, and make snow angels. This story is a great lesson for sequencing of events.
Jennifer Miera
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
As always, I love the Stella (and Sam) books. The illustrations are so sweet. My kids are not as enchanted with the storyline, but they don't have the perspective of an adult to see how Stella and her brother are pretty typical of kids.
Dimity
The illustrations are charming but the "Stella said, Sam said" format over and over again on every page was irritating enough to me that I won't be re-reading or checking out the other ones in the series.
Sebin
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: adjectives, winter
A winter book about Stella and her little brother Sam who was encountering his first snowstorm. They explore the beautiful snow outside together, sledding, making snowmen, and snowball fighting. This book as great adjectives to teach the younger students.
Amy
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-fic-snow
Stella introduces her brother Sam to his first ever snow experience. Sam has many different questions for his sister such as wondering if the birds get goosebumps. Find out what other silly questions Sam has for Stella.
Heather
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My daughter and I loved how Stella used her imagination to take her brother on such wonderful adventures in the snow. Really small children might not understand that she is just pretending, so the book is probably great for 5 to 8-year-olds.
Heather
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Positives first. The illustrations were adorable. The story was a little annoying. Kind of like rapid fire back and forth conversation. It was a little hard for the kids to follow and me too. Cute though.
Kelley Hazen
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first graders loved this. We are in southern Ca so imagining the snow in all of Stella's ways as she explains it to Sam was tons of fun. We acted out snow angels, built forts with paper snowball fights and listened to see if we could hear the snow angels sing!
Emily
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This was a cute book, but we didn't really love reading it. Maybe my kids and I will like this better in a few years. My toddler and preschooler weren't too interested. I think the conversation is geared more toward school-aged children.
Joanne Roberts
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
An energetic, charming character kids will relate to. Wonderfully illustrated. Bouncy narrative with spot-on dialogue. End is a bit sudden.
Here's the link to my Perfect Picture Book review
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I just adore Stella her little brother Sam. Sam asks so many questions and Stella is so patient and gives such loving answers. The illustrations are absolutely adorable. I must read more of her books.
  • A Porcupine in a Pine Tree: A Canadian 12 Days of Christmas
  • Virginia Wolf
  • Snowballs
  • Someday
  • Mooseltoe
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • The Night Before Valentine's Day (Reading Railroad Books)
  • Santa's Book of Names
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • The Day My Mom Came to Kindergarten
  • A Place to Call Home
  • Picture a Tree
Marie-Louise Gay is the illustrator of many award-winning children's books. She is from Montreal, Canada.
More about Marie-Louise Gay...

Stella (5 books)