Start by marking “Growth” as Want to Read:
Growth

Growth

This collection of Cox's finest poems—some previously published in anthologies around the world, others new; some rhyming, some free form—delivers beautiful sentiments, melancholy moments and some delightfully lyrical figurative language, all while charting the poet's personal growth over several years.

While introspective, Cox's work avoids self-obsession by interspersing
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 39 pages
Published July 17th 2011 by Karin Cox

To ask other readers questions about Growth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growth

Start your review of Growth
Emm C²
Growth is a terrarium, budding and withering within the containment of a moment.
It's casual yet sincere, but feels snipped. The collection jolts to an end just as it's starting to really fit into its skin. Growth's blooming violets, after all the time they have taken to live suddenly get beheaded.

I liked it, though, and I'd probably read more. I usually judge whether poetry is good or not, not by its style but rather the visible effort and if it triggers the urge to create, and Growth does a sol
Kelli Santistevan
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool poetry!
Stacie
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Karin Cox's Growth is a contemporary, eclectic collection of 30 poems that range in theme from scenes of everyday life, work, and England to Italian market shopping, childhood and memories of lovers. Cox is able to paint colourful images using descriptive language and plays on sound. Her short, powerful stanzas on nature and remembered love were among the most poignant: "Adriatic" and "Summer Picnic" were among my favorites of the collection. The sensuality in "Carnivorous" also made it a stando ...more
Jen Minkman
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a wonderful collection of poetry this is. I enjoyed reading this very much, although some of the poems seem to be so personal I cannot quite grasp what they are about. But some of them really struck a chord with me. The way you never truly let go of an ex-lover in your heart in 'Old Photo'. The way the poet reminds us of our smallness and life cut short in 'Immortality.' The sensual way she describes making love in 'Carnivorous'. I highly recommend this poetry book!
Mark
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mark by: Beth Thompson
Shelves: ebooks, poems-poetry
Got this for free from amazon a while back when my mother-in-law told me about it as the free book-of-the-day. I have gotten 3 or 4 poetry books in Kindle editions like that.

I enjoyed it.
Maryann Gestwicki
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
First time I read a book by this author. I got free through Amazon. There were quite a few lines that were electric & twisted, scattered throughout this collection of poetry, that I had to reread them because are inspiring to reread. the list of poems that liked: Writer's Block, On Wishing I Could Draw, Through The Wall, Surrey Winter, The Adriatic, Playthings, Reader, In Sari, I love this line: 'They washed your sins clean with dreams.' ...more
Madge
I liked a couple of the poems in this short collection, but it wasn't really for me. I think I picked this up free at some point and just found it again while going through my ancient Kindle orders. Back when I got it, I probably would have enjoyed it more, but I've changed since then and so has my taste in poetry.
Ashley
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
While some of Cox's poetry is not typical of what I would seek out, I found her poetry both lovely and honest in the poet's beliefs. It was lovely to have read her poetry and branch outside of the writings I had grown accustomed and comfortable with. Her poetry was skillfully designed and most certainly should be worth more than the $0.00 you can get it for on Amazon.
Breslin White
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a poetry collection which seems to have been written quickly; not hastily but quickly.

She sits - a grain of sand, a
shadow on the beach,
life's haul of shiny, flapping
things before her feet,
with eyes that tumble like the sea
to childish thoughts and innocence
beyond the adult reach.
...
Ashley (pagesofhorror)
Sort of like the last book of poetry I read, i enjoyed some of the poems but not all of them. This one was better to me though. I liked a few more of the poems, and I thought they were lovely. Edited to add that my rating is 3.5 instead of 3.
Jordan Ayres
May 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
There were a few sentences I enjoyed within this book but for the most part I didn’t find myself moved by the poems. Not my cup of tea, though I usually love poetry— I just couldn’t connect to this writing style.
Kate (The Bookaholic Blurbs)
I'd like to say I enjoyed it but it isn't relatable. Maybe it's just me. Dunno.
Mish
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I like some of the poems but majority didn't made an impact to me. But it was a good poetry book.
Fallon
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Gorgeous

Very well written and easy to this and read aloud. Lovely and beauty in prose nothing too over the head of for from reality.
Sandra
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
didn't care for this one
kristen
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks
Most of the poems are not understandable because of the use of words.
Samantha
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
The formatting wasn't bad, but the content was underwhelming and not unique.
Lixa Roncone
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I love reading others poetry. I also write my own. Your poems are inspiring. Thank you for sharing them with us :)
Zinzee Noel
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved the rhymes

It wasn't my favorite or things that I can relate to but I really enjoyed the rhymes. Continue doing what you does best.
Chasity Nicole
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I absolutely enjoyed reading the poems within this collection. Each poem an different story than the next. And beautifully written
Angela Maher
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian, poetry
A nice collection. Lovely poems that connect beautifully with real life.
Jessica | Booked J
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram

*(3.5) I'll send you summer's memory,
sharp and clear,
to slice through icy veneer like a knife.
My girl, your halcyon days may well be
here,
but you'll return
--this sunshine fuels your life.

I snagged this for free on Amazon not that long ago. If my memory serves, it was earlier this year--but don't hold me to it. Karin Cox has an elegant prose to her that is in a class of its own and highly relatable; but in the case of Growth, there are several missteps and a whole lot of
Jocelyn Khor
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Downloaded this for free on Amazon in hope of reading more poetry as April is the National Poetry Month. This was kinda meh. Okay. Average. Bored me.

There were some poems which I couldn't understand nor relate to. This might be just me since I'm not a huge poetry reader, but I found myself constantly flipping the pages without knowing what the previous poem meant. Despite that, I do have a few poems which I understand and liked.

I thought the poems were decent and honestly I would not spend my
Jessica Lynn
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. I got it for free off of Amazon so I wasn't expecting too much. While it was a decently enjoyable book for free, I don't think I would have bought it. Some poems were more personal, others more fun. I think that the rhyming was creative in spots and sounded forced in others. The alliteration (repetition of sounds) also seemed very forced to me. Because of this, I was often brought out of the poem and couldn't connect with it. My favorite lines were in the poem "Carnivorous," ...more
Ben Ditmars
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some poets speak truth; others speak beauty. I would like to think Karin Cox does a little bit of both. There's a feeling of timelessness to her writing. Growth is neither modern nor dated in that sense. It is not an "edgy" collection and it will not make you think so much about the world as it will yourself. The description and metaphor stood out most to me. Cox has an incredible vocabulary and imagination that will leave you breathless.
Byron Haskins
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bright Moments along the Way

This collection of poems are accessible and effective in drawing this reader into them, their topics and subjects. They reach for common experiences and succeed with me. I find some of the poems familiar, in cadence and sentiment as many of my own. There is also enjoyable care applied to the use of or rejection of rhyme and rhythm. I plan to read other works by Ms. Cox.
Randal Schmidt
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Fair collection of poetry

Some good lines scattered throughout this collection of poetry, but overall I found the collection uninteresting. Too many poems about some unnamed lover; these were dull and uninspiring. This was an okay collection of poetry for a free ebook. Glad I did not pay money for it, though.
G L Meisner
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
A very interesting collection. The over all group was well written. The book feels like a confession of things that helped the author grow, with a couple of random poems for good measure. Worth having in your collection if for no reason than the chance at future reference.
Nightshadequeen
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Started off okay, got more and more forced as it went on. Eh. Got it for free off of Amazon, this explains why.
Anastasia
The poetry was worth four stars, but I felt this collection was a little shorter than it could have been. The ending was abrupt for me.

• Poems For The Moon: Vol 1
  • The Things We Don't Talk About
  • Travelling Light
  • this boy is a rainbow
  • I Loved You in Paris: A Memoir in Poetry
  • Blue Ashes
  • Variations of Love: The L Word
  • Imperfect (Sins and Secrets: Series of Duets #0.5)
  • Damaged (Sins and Secret Series of Duets #3)
  • Pretty Good Year - A Bipolar Poetry Anthology
  • Black Book of Poems
  • Tears, Laughs, and Dreams: A Poetry Collection
  • poems i sleep next to
  • The Lover's History Book
  • The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury
  • Cult Of Hipster Poetry
  • The Bridge Across The River
KARIN COX is an Australian author who writes in her “spare time” while being a fulltime mum to two precocious girls and a black cat with the improbable name of "Ping Pong." She is the author of more than 50 trade-published titles, including children’s and adult fiction, biographies and travel guides, and Australian natural and social history texts, several of which are award-winning. Being so busy ...more