Start by marking “The Last Viking” as Want to Read:
The Last Viking

The Last Viking

A victorious story about a boy with a wild imagination, this humorous and pertinent narrative not only addresses the serious issue of bullying, but also highlights a moving relationship between grandfather and grandson. Josh is a nervous kid, and he is especially nervous about the kids who bother him at school and in the skate park. With his helmet and sword, and joined by ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Fremantle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Viking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Viking

Start your review of The Last Viking
Clare Cannon
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 04-8yrs
A cute story about a little boy who wants to be brave—like the Vikings! His grandfather has given him a book about Vikings, and he's determined to be like them. His imaginary adventure into Viking territory in his valiant warship and alongside his trusty Wolverine companion is brought back to reality when the neighbourhood bullies make fun of his games. But having become a Viking, he's ready to face them with strength and courage... and they turn away and flee. Though it's a nice thought for a k ...more
Linda
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved it - even though there were enough themes to do a VCE essay on!

The illustrations were an excellent match to our imaginative hero and I enjoyed that part of the story was being told just through pictures (ie. new baby in the family).

Perhaps the best part was the actual Viking ship he built around the clothes line - too cool!
Glyn Parry
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book. Every page sings, in words and in pictures. Little boys will love it.
Dimity Powell
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
This is one rollicking tale you can allow yourself (and any young vikings you know) to become fully absorbed in. Spiced with adventure, flavoured with historical fantasy, and laced with determination, Jorgensen takes us on a triumphant expedition of faith and facing your fears. All brilliantly illustrated by Foley, this one is sure to get your Berserkers fired up.
Ashley
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think it could have been edited down to be more of a standard length, but perhaps it was made longer so it would appeal to older kids? The story seemed fit for about preschool or kindergarten age, but it was oddly marketed at elementary students. The pictures were too juvenile, and the kid was, to be quite honest, too much of a weenie for anyone older than 6. It came across a little too lesson-y than I would have liked, but with a bit of tweaking it could have had the punch of a good Robert Mu ...more
Nicole
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book. It is not a simple story -- themes of imaginative play, Viking history, bullying, and new babies vie with one another for the reading, but that is where the charm is found. Life is not simple. The year two class to whom I read it, were fully engaged, and understood many of its different levels. It has inspired at least one to go home and read up on Vikings. I can see so many classroom applications and look forward to reading it again.
Mandi Murphy
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
This is a very convoluted story. I'm not really sure if the author's aim was to teach about Viking mythology, prepare for the birth of a new baby, condemn bullying, or if he just wanted to write a story about a little viking boy. I didn't care for it at all. The illustrations were great. I give it three stars because of them, and because every little boy loves Thor.
Dee-Ann
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a greta book with interesting details in it. I read this to my two sons last night, and afterwards they spent time going over it again and looking more closely at the pictures. Great pictures ... loved the 'getting back at the bullies' scene and the detail was spectacular.
Damos
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, picture
I think I missed the point. Maybe I was in the wrong head space. I read it to a grade 1/2 class & think I was trying to understand it from their perspective & it went over my head.

Complex picture book.
Louise Koch
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
You know it is a winner when your 6 year old nephew immediately loves it and wants to keep it!
Shallowreader VaVeros
Great imaginary viking romp in a young boy's grandparents' backyard. He even manages to scare off bullies. Fun!
Josianne Fitzgerald
Dec 23, 2012
Aug 05, 2014
Camille White
Jun 26, 2012
Norman was born in Broome in 1954, the eldest of four brothers, and lived in several country towns throughout Western Australia during his childhood. At the age of ten his family moved to Kalamunda, in the hills above Perth. Norman became an avid reader after being given The Secret Seven by Enid Blyton at age seven. His love affair with books has never ended and for the past twenty-five years Norm ...more

News & Interviews