Start by marking “Angry Mobs and Founding Fathers: The Fight for Control of the American Revolution” as Want to Read:

Angry mobs launched the American Revolution when they protested against British acts of tyranny. These rebels threatened, harassed, and chased away British officials and Loyalists. The Founding Fathers agreed with the goals of these Patriots, but not with their methods. Fearing anarchy, the Founders channeled the passion of the mobs toward independence.

Working together, th
Published July 25th 2011 by Eleftheria Publishing (first published July 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Angry Mobs and Founding Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angry Mobs and Founding Fathers

Start your review of Angry Mobs and Founding Fathers: The Fight for Control of the American Revolution
Warren
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Our understanding of the birth of our Nation shapes our political, social, and moral viewpoint today. In "Angry Mobs and Founding Fathers", Michael E. Newton retells the story from the perspective of the two main forces driving for change. Refusing to paint history from a 21st century perspective, the author richly quotes from those who participated in our Nation's founding and their contemporaries, a much more difficult and rewarding endeavor. A surpisingly compact and easy read, "Angry Mobs an ...more
John Findlay
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book reads almost like a history textbook. While not an easy read, it was very informative, and pointed out aspects of the American Revolution and the Constitutional Convention that I was unaware of. For instance, the author points out how diverse opinion was during the revolution, and how it was as much a civil war as it was a battle against Britain. And also he indicates that only a few Americans really fought in the revolution. Regarding the Constitution, he discusses the goal of the aut ...more
John Vibber
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Most modern authors extol the roles of liberty and democracy in the American Revolution. Michael Newton tells how these concepts actually posed problems for the Founding Fathers when they set out to win a war and design a government. The mobs which provided the raw energy needed for revolution embodied a democracy based on the tyranny of the majority in which one person's liberty was obtained at the expense of another's. The Founding Fathers knew that this tendency if unrestrained would make equ ...more
Ron
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative, yet easy read

Great read for a basic understanding of the Americans Revolution and the politics that delve from it. Highly recommended for anyone.
Mary Adams
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
So much is written of the Founding Fathers it's easy to believe that the American Revolution was fought by a total of fifty-six men. (Give or take a few, depending on your perspective.) I have been looking for something that gave me more insights into the views of the average rabble-rousing colonial or even those caught in the middle. As with my fiction reviews, it makes sense to focus on the two main characters in the story.

The Angry Mobs: For the most part, these "mobs" remain the nameless, f
Michael J. Toro
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Wonderful, well-researched history: interesting and entertaining as it's informative and edifying. The revolutionary genius of America's Founding Fathers, the fine line between "angry mobs" and statesmanship, rarely better outlined than in this brilliant chronicle.
Mike Harbert
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't. The premise is certainly interesting, but the narrative is heavy on redundancy. As I read further into the book, I could not escape the feeling that the chapters were a series of college or grad school essays that were hurriedly linked together with an attempted narrative thread. There were many redundancies, and at times I felt that Mr Newton was trying to bludgeon me with his main themes over and over.

In my opinion this book lacks narrati
Willis Whitlock
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Democracy as a controlled mob

A review of U.S. history known to most set as an effort by the Founders to set a government that will not revert back to tyranny.
Paul Garrett
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
With politicians calling for a return to the Founding Fathers' intent -- while most of the time showing very little understanding of what that might mean -- this book makes for timely reading. The Founding Fathers are not a monolithic collection of inspired men who produced by divine inspiration a document for the ages. They were idealists tempered by practicality. They met to create the Constitution at a time when the entire revolution could have been undone. Despite myths, the Revolution itsel ...more
Tom Schulte
Not particularly enlightening or revealing, but this was certainly a good history read I got from Amazon free for the Kindle. Newton focuses on the desire of founding fathers to preserve government control for and by the wealthy and landed and fear the unpropertied masses and any movement with a large, democractic base. I doubt any ardent Tea Party advaocate has read this book.

It basically spans from pre-Independence times to The Age of Jackson when the United States setting into the cyclical
Polly Glowatz
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very enlightening. Now when people say we our country has gone to the dogs etc. I say we have the best democracy in the world. this book makes me want to visit Williamsburg, Philadelphia and boston. I want to watch and read about Washington,Jefferson and all the others. Great overview for a beginner in history of the US.
Nicole
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very interesting read with not necessarily entirely new information but more detail on information I already knew. It involved a lot of dates and at times I wish it would have stayed in the order of the dates rather than jump back and forth so much.
Kat
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I really liked the continued references to BALANCE and COMPROMISE. Seems like we could use some of that today.
Pkstod
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Dry. Learned a few things which was cool. Lots of dates.
Chris
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked it. I learned a lot. It is a great history lesson giving a couple of perspectives.
Therese
Dec 24, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
$0.0
Sue
Aug 06, 2011 marked it as to-read
This book may bring to light some of our family stories from my g(7) grandfather and his family that were participants in the revolution- Brandywine, Valley Forge and Trenton.
Jeff Smith
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good.
Kathy
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Decent source of information, but not particularly well written and quite redundant.
Beth Elliott
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it but only people who are into history will really enjoy it
Marc
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A highly readable and informative history of the founding of the United States.
George
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, kindle, non-fiction
Everyone should read this account of the founding of the USA and its early years.
Michael Newton
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
List of reviews from other sites available at:
Kelly
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I enjoyed this book. It is very informative and enlightening. It should be used in the classroom to teach a more in-depth look into the founding of America.
Mary
Nov 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was a free ebook when I got it. This is a good example of getting what you pay for. I was unable to finish it because it was boring and poorly written.
Cathey Blackburn shields
Jan 17, 2013
Tammy
Aug 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• American Revolution: A History From Beginning to End (One Hour History Revolution Book 2)
  • The War of 1812: A History From Beginning to End
  • Two Bodies in the Backyard (Dekker Cozy Mystery #11)
  • A Body on the Porch (Dekker Cozy Mystery, #10)
  • They Knew They Were Pilgrims: Plymouth Colony and the Contest for American Liberty
  • The Desecration of All Saints
  • Forgotten: The Untold Story of D-Day's Black Heroes, at Home and at War
  • Revolutionary Summer: The Birth of American Independence
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • 1st Shock (A Schock Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • God's Profound and Urgent Message
  • Saints: The Story of the Church of Jesus Christ in the Latter Days: Volume 2: No Unhallowed Hand: 1846–1893
  • "READ!" (The Reality Behind Muhammad's First Revelation)
  • The Phoney Victory: The World War II Illusion
  • Justice Is Served (Justice #6-6.3)
  • The Brigade: An Epic Story of Vengeance, Salvation & World War II
  • A March from Innocence (C.T. Ferguson #6)
  • Hazardous Duty (Squeaky Clean Mysteries #1)
Michael E. Newton graduated Summa Cum Laude with honors from Arizona State University with degrees in finance and computer information systems. He was a portfolio manager for ten years and writes about economics, finance, and the market. Michael Newton has always had a passion for history, politics, and economics, which led him write The Path To Tyranny: A History of Free Society's Descent Into Ty ...more