Start by marking “The Teddy Bears' Picnic” as Want to Read:
The Teddy Bears' Picnic

The Teddy Bears' Picnic

Read (or sing!) your way through this picture book adaptation of the favorite teddy-bear tale, The Teddy Bears’ Picnic.

If you go down in the woods today
You'd better go in disguise
For every bear there ever was
Will gather there for certain because
Today’s the day the Teddy Bears have their picnic.

Here’s everyone’s favorite teddy bear song with endearing pictures by the
Published June 1st 2000 by Aladdin (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Teddy Bears' Picnic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teddy Bears' Picnic

Start your review of The Teddy Bears' Picnic
Kathryn
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the gems I found at the Mill Valley Library Sale over the weekend. I love this book! As the adorable old gentleman at the volunteer table was ringing up my stack of books (25-cents, 25-cents, 25-cents--what a bargain!) he raised his eyebrow at this one. "Now, this one is $3.00," he said kindly. I grinned and said, "I know." ;-)

Rosenshantz (my very-favorite children's music group as a kid!) did a version of "Teddy Bear's Picnic" that I loved. I can hear the entire song as I read through
Casey
Apr 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Now, usually I think that adding books for very young children is cheating. You don't get credit for reading a Sandra Boynton board book, even if Moo Baa La La La is pure genius (it is, by the way). But I break my own rule for this one--I can still picture every page and sing the song. Buy it.
Sandra
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I was growing up my parents would sing "The Teddy Bears' Picnic" to me and my two sisters. I found a copy of this book at an estate sale and had to buy it. When my parents (age 80 and 83) came over for dinner and I showed them the book they both sang it to me as we turned the pages. What sweet memories from my childhood and now also as an adult. This is a great story for children of all ages!
Julia Flath
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
i find it kind of creepy -- "If you go down in the woods today, you better not go alone. It's lovely down in the woods today, but safer to stay at home."
Reggie Virus
Jenna
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great to teach the song with!
Wanda
Jul 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
writing not as great as beautiful illustrations
Celeste
Little gem of a board book. I did not notice if it was originally published as a regular picture book but it should be because the illustrations are so detailed and intimate it would be nice to see them on a larger scale. They truly are lovely, some of them even a bit haunting. Fun to read/sing for baby storytime, with a bear friend or puppet.
Vivian
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Any version of this book will due but this one is in a fairly large format so works well with a group. It helps if you know the tune and can sing the book.

Children were invited to bring their favorite plush toy to story time. At the end of the story / song they were invited to stand up with their toy and show every one. Depending on how many children brought animals it works for the performer to ask everyone with a white teddy (or whatever color) to stand up or hold their toy up. Then clap for
Megan Baker
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Teddy Bears' Picnic is a picture book, intended for nursery or primary readers. In this book teddy bears gather together to go to a picnic. They participate in many fun picnic activities and eventually get so tired they need to go home and rest.
I rated this book four stars because I read it a few years ago and I can remember really enjoying it. I enjoyed it more the second time I read it. The illustrations in the book make you want to participate in the different activities and have a
Brianna Jones
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catalogue
Genre: Picture book

Reading level: Early to transitional, ages 5-9

Topics and themes: This story chronicles a day when all the bears come out into the woods for a picnic. It demonstrates a sense of community.

Curricular Use: Good for introducing text and music in a read aloud.

Social: The story shows how a community of bears an come together and enjoy the day together. It talks about, and shows in the pictures, the bears doing picnic activities together.

Literary elements: This book goes along with
Lisbeth Solberg
Loving the song decades before the book overlaid its own images makes it hard to assess the later book/song combo. The book's picnic was much more lavish than the one in my imagination, more of a Teddy Bear extended-family reunion. With a great quantity of balloons (as well as bears).

I think the song version I heard growing up would have been the Bing Crosby one, not sure who the background vocalists would have been. Now I'm going to have to look and see who did the song included in the
Jessica
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am a teddy bear collector and have always loved the song "The Teddy Bears' Picnic." Jimmy Kennedy publishes the song in book form; however, Michael Hague's illustrations are amazing. They really add to the story and add to the smiles.

I've been reading children's books lately because I am planning to write a children's book after I finish my poetry book.
Emily
Jul 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I saw this on my book shelf last night and remembered I needed to enter this book in. Truly one of my favorite books of all time. I loved Teddy Bears, I love to sing, and I love picnics. My copy has a record in the back of the song and I would listen to it on my Michael Jackson Thriller record player. Ah....those were the days.
Kristina Moss
Apr 08, 2014 added it
Shelves: animals
The Teddy Bears Picnic by Jimmy Kennedy is a great story. This book is about a group of bears that gather for a picnic. On their picnic they partake I many activites which soon leaves them restless. After becoming tired the bears decide to go home and rest. I would read this book to my class to promote social skills and friendliness among their peers.
Jeannie
I'm so excited I found this book! I remember reading it YEARS ago, and LOVING it! This is one I definitely want to purchase! Several artists have illustrated Jimmy's classic & familiar song, "The Teddy Bear's Picnic," but the illustrations by Michael Hague are timeless, magical and THE BEST! His interpretation of the song truely makes this an absolute TREASURE and FAVORITE!
Virginia
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
This was one of my favorite books as a child. My copy came with a small vinyl record of the song and I'd play it over and over. I also had a teddy bear with a wind up key that played the tune. Good memories!
Alyce Dougan
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you go down in the woods today... Teddy’s Bears’ Picnic is a repetitive story about a teddy bear picnic. In the story there is one little boy who is dressed up like a teddy bear, but the bears don't notice. I would recommend this as a bed time story.
Takeisha Hannor
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a great book for children to explore. This book is suitable for ages four and up. It has a lesson learned at the end of the story and it teaches children about family being together and enjoying picnics. Most children love teddy bears so i think it would be a great read.
Edna
Beautifully detailed illustrations show teddy bears gathering in the woods for a picnic until night falls and their little human mommies and daddies take them home to bed.
Universitybabe
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
After learning the song from dad and Grandpa Jack, the kids play with their stuffed animals and sing the song while they play. Definatly recomend if you know the song.
L
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books
As a board book, text was way too small.
Stacia
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I remember this book from when I was a child... and the magical feeling it gave me when reading it...
Andy
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book scares me a little. What happens if the bears find out that there are children dressed as teddy bears at their picnic?!
Fritz Loehrke
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybook
A bit creepy, but we enjoy creepy
Buxmont Uu
May 18, 2015 added it
Shelves: bcfl, 104
CC 28
gina
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, board-book
I really liked this book. Woods was not that into it! But I'm hoping when he's older we can check it out again from the library because I liked it lol!!!
Molly
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very cute story with cute illustrations.
Heather
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favourites!!

• Where's Spot?
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Barnyard Dance
  • Time for Bed
  • Penguin Problems
  • Little Blue Truck
  • The Wonky Donkey
  • The Story of Babar (Babar, #1)
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • The Napping House
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake