Start by marking “The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries” as Want to Read:
The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries

The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries

This magnificent book is a collection of stories, anecdotes, and legends from all six of the regions where celtic ways have persisted in the modern world.
Published January 1st 2004 by New Page Books (first published November 30th 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Golden Dawn by Israel RegardiePrometheus Rising by Robert Anton WilsonLiving Wicca by Scott CunninghamWicca by Scott Cunningham
Occult Library
546 books — 251 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningTithe by Holly BlackWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
998 books — 2,293 voters

More lists with this book...

Leo .
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to strawberry fields
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hung about
Strawberry fields forever

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
But it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Song by the Beatles

What happens when one trips with DMT?

Does one enter a world of fantasy?

Does one lose the ego, find oneself?

Have a conversation with a Gnome? An Elf?

Question the Dwarves, the Goblins, Orcs and a sprite

Wonder at a Wizar
James
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I was incarcerated for nine months in the U.S. Navy brig, for refusing to obey orders, I became an admirer of religious scholar Professor Evans-Wentz. His translations of ancient Tibetan scriptures on meditation helped me transform my brig time into a fory into spirit. When I gained my freedom, I lived in a cabin in Big Sur, where with a copy of Fairy-Faith, I awakened to the reality of subtle beings indwelling the immense silence of the redwood forests.

Evans-Wenz, who was a friend of Yeat
SusannaF
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faerie-lore
I got this book as part of my research for a novel about Faerie. It is an old book, and refers often to pseudosciences that are laughed at nowadays. It uses the outdated "Aryan" to refer to white cultures. However, it's a very earnest and amazingly well-researched book.

It delves into the origins of various aspects of Celtic fairy lore and briefly covers other world cultures that have similar beliefs. The best and longest section is the collection of stories, including eye-witness accounts.

The
Eddie Watkins
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal-etc
An early book by the guy who brought us (in English) The Tibetan Book of the Dead, and in its own way it too is a serious book on alternate realities and/or other dimensions. Plus the edition I have is part of the Library of the Mystic Arts and has an intro by Terence McKenna, the late psychonaut, who elsewhere had paralleled fairies and the little gibbering beings he encountered after taking DMT.

The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries offers plenty of speculation and theories regarding who or what
Steve Cran
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book might be old but it is not dated. I think most people these days that right on Faery-Craft often times refer to this book. I would call it the bible of the Faery faith.
Back around the turn of the century the author went on a little tour of the Celtic countries in order to assess the Faery faith. He travelled to Iraeland, Wales, Scotland, and Britany in France. In this book he talks with people who have stated that they have had Faery experiences. Information from the interviews is prese
Tami
Sep 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing

One of my favorite quotes (I don't remember where I read it, probably in a book about consciousness or neurology) is, "what you see is your brain's best guess about what's out there." Most brains, at least in the US, don't guess "fairy." I like imagining a world where brains did. I loved this book.

Melody Daggerhart
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hard to rate older books because sometimes it's the fact that they are older that affects a modern rating. I'm giving this one four stars because I liked the majority of the content, found it very useful to my purposes, and enjoyed the "atmosphere" in which the information was related. But parts of the data arrangement felt dry and intrusive. It was a bit of a chore to read in places.

What I liked about it ...

I loved the slow pace at which the author is strolling about the countrysides of the UK,
The Elves
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is essential reading for those studying the faerie faith.

The Silver Elves
authors of Through the Mists of Faerie: A Magical Guide to the Wisdom Teaching of the Ancient Elven
Jimyanni
Jul 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Stylistically impenetrable, virtually empty of logic or sense., July 10, 2010
By James Yanni (Bellefontaine Neighbors, Mo. USA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries: The Classic Study of Leprechauns, Pixies, and Other Fairy Spirits (Paperback)
This author, writing in the early days of the 20th century, attempts to prove the existence of fairies and other mythical entities, and claims to have done so. He hasn't. I'm not such a sceptic as to insist that a f
David
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This was given to me by my dear friend, Darius, as a parting gift before I moved to Scotland to study Social Anthropology and Linguistics at the University of St Andrews.

It was published by an American who had, like myself, been accepted to one of Britain's finest universities (Jesus College, Oxford, in his case) to study at a late age. He had not studied Social Anthropology (as I was leaving to), although he acknowledges "the kindly advice and constant encouragement of Mr. R.R. Marett, Reader
Deborah Carroll
Very dry and academic BUT full of interesting stories, theories, thoughts, and conclusions. 3.5 stars from me, so I marked 4 stars :-)
It definitely took me a while to plow through, mostly because I read it off and on over the years prior to falling asleep...and the content ensured I would fall asleep only moments after beginning reading. I'm glad I read it, and I intend to keep it handy as a reference.
Section IV, pages 454-516, ended up being continuously the most interesting to me, and having
Willow
Oct 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is an incredibly in depth compilation of old Celtic and pre-Celtic stories of fairies, the Tuatha de Dannan, and other between-the-worlds beings. The edition I have has an intro by Terrance McKenna, which is interesting. Lots of references to old old books, and most of the stories are from the early 1800s regarding traditions on how to deal with various forms of the good folk.
Joanna
Jun 13, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of folklore
In the early 20th century, Evan-Wentz compiled a collection of folklore from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and the Isle of Man and created a comprehensive guide to the fairy faith. A fascinating read, even if it isn't always completely believable (although I find myself believing, more often than not!)
Catherine
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. An actual study of the belief in faeries by anthropologist Evans-Wentz in the early 1900's.
Redsteve
Interesting, but it would have been better if the author wasn't an Edwardian-era Spiritulist (in my option). Some of the "scientific" parts near the end of the book were painful to read.
Patrick\
An overlooked book of real value. Give it a read.
Ann M
Aug 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Really gives you a sense of the little folk.
Mary
I did not finish but would like to read more of it. I may but my own copy. What I have read is interesting but it is very wordy and slow.
Victoria Haf
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A principios del siglo pasado, un gringo con raíces irlandesas viaja a Reino Unido para investigar la creencia en las hadas, viaja por las islas, preguntando a los más viejos, gente que incluso no hablaba inglés sino gaélico u otros idiomas.
Leer este libro se sintió como sentarse alrededor de una fogata a escuchar historias ya que la mayor parte de este libro son entrevistas, me gusto leerlo mientras estaba en el campo, Evans Wenz dice que la razón por la que tantos desdeñan la creencia en hadas
Amy Ross
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have always been interested in Celtic mythology and the long standing culture of continuing oral history, through story telling and song. The Irish managed to maintain lots of their old stories and culture due to their relative isolation. I believe by capturing the faerie folklore when he did over (100 years ago, when belief was still prevalent). Evans has preserved a very important part of all our heritage. The similarities of stories from all the Celtic countries is something which could be ...more
Lindsay
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This encyclopedic book -- you don't read it, you read around in it -- was one I purchased for deep background information on the novel I am currently writing. What a treasure trove it is. Evans-Wentz spent 2 or 3 years traveling about Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, and Brittany from about 1908-1910 and collecting lore about fairy folk. The stories he transcribed, often with aid of a translator, might have been lost otherwise. They are in the words of the tellers. There is material, too, on t ...more
Juliana Haught
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: shelved, non-fiction
I wanted to read this because I so love the Celtic lands and culture. This is book is very academic, and it was written at the beginning of the 20th century, and references books from the 19th century. Most of it features first-person accountings of fairy sightings and stories from "peasants" of the Celtic lands. I got partway through the Scottish stories, and realized that this is an interesting reference book - and that I don't necessarily want to actually read a reference book cover to cover. ...more
Isobelpoe
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know what exactly I was expecting but this was just a bit cheesy.
It was really exactly like listening to my relatives discuss these things,
barely able to hide their laughter, and no more believable.

But read it. It is good to be able to carry this info around in your
head, if only to share with little kids.

Picture me walking away muttering about wanting 'verifiable evidence!'.

;-)
Naomi
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful treasure of folk practice. Some very odd theories in places, but it was written over a hundred years ago, so you can forgive the writer for believing in Celtic solar cults! There's never going to be such a range of evidence of belief in the Good Folk collected again, since the fairy faith is really a thing of the past in Ireland and Britain now. So this is absolutely worth reading, even if the old-fashioned style makes it a bit of a struggle to read.
Molly Ringle
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
How strange and wonderful that this book exists! But then, perhaps asking the native Celts about their belief in fairy-type spirits is no different, anthropologically, than asking the native Americans or Polynesians or so on about their belief in various spirits. Really cool stuff for that first half, then too dense and dry in the academic discussion for the second half. I ended up skimming that part.
Stephany
Yes, this book is based in Victorian fancy, what of it? I think more folklorists should look to preserving the oral narrative of the past and fewer should tediously dissect that narrative in terms of metaphorical meanings which are at best conjecture.

Perhaps fairy, really meant a fairy and we all have too much faith in consensual reality?
Jessica
This book was interesting. I anticipated a book about fairies and the first half was just that. The last portion of the book was a more difficult read and full of "hoodoo". I really enjoyed it for the historical look at the beliefs of the time...Freud was spoken of as a contemporary!
DAN
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very difficult book for me to read when I read it. It reads in part as a school text with much research and Geo and Sociopolitical information included along side mythical and lyrical content. do not if I would tackle it again but it was worth the time it took to digest it.
Carmon
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
A good reference but the way it was written was too wordy for me to actually enjoy reading it. There was so many cases of sentences that were the size of paragraphs and the writing structure was just all wrong.
David Halpin
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
  • The Vanishing People: Fairy Lore and Legends
  • The Secret Commonwealth: An Essay of the Nature and Actions of the Subterranean (and, for the Most Part) Invisible People, Heretofore Going under the Name of Elves, Fauns, and Fairies
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • Celtic Heritage: Ancient Tradition in Ireland and Wales
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
  • Dictionary of Celtic Mythology
  • Pagan Celtic Britain
  • British Goblins: Welsh Folk Lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions (1881)
  • The Celtic Twilight: Faerie and Folklore
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
  • Kindling the Celtic Spirit: Ancient Traditions to Illumine Your Life Through the Seasons
  • Carmina Gadelica: Hymns and Incantations
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Over Nine Waves
  • Classic Celtic Fairy Tales
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
Walter Yeeling Evans-Wentz (M.A., Stanford University) was an anthropologist and writer who was a pioneer in the study of Tibetan Buddhism.

As a teenager, he read Madame Blavatsky's Isis Unveiled and The Secret Doctrine and became interested in the teachings of Theosophy. At Stanford he studied with William James and William Butler Yeats. He then studied Celtic mythology and folklore at Jesus Colle
“To the north and south in the golden glow of a September twilight we saw the long line of the Outer Hebrides like the rocky backbone of some submerged continent. The scenes and colours on the land and ocean and in the sky seemed more like some magic vision, reflected from Faerie by the 'good people' for our delight, than a thing of our own world. Never was air clearer or sea calmer, nor could there be air sweeter than that in the mystic mountain-stillness holding the perfume of millions of tiny blossoms of purple and white heather; and as the last honey-bees were leaving the beautiful blossoms their humming came to our ears like low, strange music from Fairyland.” 0 likes