Start by marking “A Long Night at Abu Simbel” as Want to Read:
A Long Night at Abu Simbel

A Long Night at Abu Simbel

Three incisive vignettes of human experience: these short stories are taken from Pack of Cards.
Paperback, Penguin 60s, 58 pages
Published 1995 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about A Long Night at Abu Simbel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Long Night at Abu Simbel

Start your review of A Long Night at Abu Simbel
Nadine Larter
A sweetish collection of some stories that involve cats. Which I suppose is why there is a cat on the cover? This book is tiny which is kind of what drew me to it I will admit. Like "look how cute and tiny the book I'm reading is". I might be a silly human. But I do love short stories. And this book had three of them in it so that was lovely.
Daren
I was a bit underwhelmed by this book. Three short stories, taken from the authors bookPack of Cards, as a Penguin 60.

The first (title) story was very amusing - anyone who has ever travelled in a group situation, with people chosen only due the fact they want to do the same 'trip', will find the story replicates common situations. A travel guide who reaches the end of her tether and simply leaves - a group of people used to be led and having their cares attended to.

The other two stories, just
Michael
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Helena
This was a little odd book, quick read! I liked the last of the three noveles, Pack of Cards, best!
Coenraad
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another major discovery for me in the Penguin 60s series. Lively is a well-known author with a Booker prize to her name, yet these are the first texts of hers that I've read. Delicious. In the title story, 'A long night at Abu Simbel', a tour guide, pushed beyond her limits, leaves her tour group stranded in Egypt. The narrative focuses on how the group copes with adversity. 'The emasculation of Ted Roper' shows feminism at work in a small rural community - and its success! In the final story, ...more
Malvina
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Someone thoughtfully tucked a secondhand version of this little book into a gift for me. I was delighted to read the three short stories: A Long Night At Abu Simel, The Emasculation of Ted Roper and Pack of Cards. Each very different, each an incisively comic, uncomplimentary commentary on slices of human behaviour. Vastly entertaining.
Everett Darling
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
I can't wait to get ahold of another Lively book. I checked this from the Penguin 60's series at the local library to make my book list less of a sausage-fest, something I think we can all consider doing. "A Long Night..." contains 3 short stories that are as classically candid as Maugham's or Waugh's, as her writing seems devoted to interpersonal relationships and shared, common experiences.
Stephanie Mecredy

• Be Brilliant Every Day
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
  • Three Japanese Short Stories
Penelope Lively is the author of many prize-winning novels and short-story collections for both adults and children. She has twice been shortlisted for the Booker Prize: once in 1977 for her first novel, The Road to Lichfield, and again in 1984 for According to Mark. She later won the 1987 Booker Prize for her highly acclaimed novel Moon Tiger.

Her other books include Going Back; Judgement Day;