Start by marking “Specials (Uglies, #3)” as Want to Read:

Specials (Uglies #3)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  148,733 Ratings  ·  7,312 Reviews
Copy-Editor: Lulu Fitri Rahman
Proofreader: Tisa Anggriani

Tally telah bergabung dengan Special Circumstances, aparat rahasia pemerintahan kota yang bertindak seperti militer. Mereka menjalani operasi yang menjadikan mereka “rupawan bengis,” rupawan namun mengerikan.

Bersama Shay dan kelompok Cutter, Tally memburu Smoke Baru. Sebagai anak emas Dr. Cable di Special Circumstanc
Published July 28th 2011 by Penerbit Matahati (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Specials, please sign up.

Ana This is a spoiler of Uglies and Pretties but not Specials!!! I frankly do not know but I am so tired of her having to start a whole knew world, AGAIN!
Sydney Gorelick I agree with Lucy. If you don't like the book, don't finish it. The writing doesn't change much throughout the book, so if you don't like it now, you…moreI agree with Lucy. If you don't like the book, don't finish it. The writing doesn't change much throughout the book, so if you don't like it now, you won't like it later. I like all of it, but that's just me.(less)

Trin
Jun 04, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, american-lit
This disappointed me so much. I really loved Uglies and there was a lot to admire about Pretties, but I found this to be a highly unsatisfactory conclusion. I’m still trying to figure out why it so completely failed to work for me. I think mostly it’s a case of character development: Tally goes through a lot of mental and emotional changes in these books, which makes sense, because her brain is being fucked with. In the first two books, Westerfeld took the time to explore these transitions, an ...more
Beth A.
So I didn't like Tally as much in this book. Her personality has been altered by the "special" surgery, so she looks down on anyone who isn't "special" themselves. Part of the plot line is that she is supposed to overcome this, but I didn't feel she completely did.

Other things that marred my enjoyment of this story...

I hated the cutting aspect. Several times they talk about cutting, and how "Icy" it makes them feel. Eventually Tally quit, but only because it was repugnant to Zane, then because s
Beth
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Christina
One thing I've noticed about Westerfeld's novels is how bittersweet the endings are. Although there is still a rainbow (or fireworks) to brighten the blow, there is still death, failure, destruction. Westerfeld knows life will never have a happy ending, just a bittersweet one.

Specials is no exception. Although the novel starts off slow, it quickly builds up speed, carrying you along Tally's final journey. She's now a Cutter, a Special Circumstances pet project. Cutters are stronger -and more obn
Jenelle
Oh Scott! I am so so proud of you! Only 2 'purchases' in the whole book! Such an improvement: like you can think for yourself, like youre curing yourself of bogus making writing! Bravo.

Ok, as far as the series is concerned, this is where I'm abandoning ship. I held on this long in hope that somehow you would bring me around and show me how to like Tally, but it kind of went the opposite direction, you know?

Anyway, I'm stopping here because youve given me no reason to continue. The fourth book,
Bethany
Jan 16, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
What happened? It wasn't the greatest series I'd ever read but c'mon! Did they give him time? It was worse the the third movie sequel that shouldn't have had a second. Where do I begin with this train wreck? There wasn't one storyline that was wrapped up. The plot was thrown together so hastily and it left more holes (and was as deep as) an 80's John Hughes film. The ONE character I thought was interesting barely featured and fizzled out pathetically... so much potential! Also, the ending was th ...more
Audrey
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have ambivalent feelings about this book. It's fatally flawed in my opinion, both in tone and content.

The tone is adolescent hyper-drama.... which is okay I suppose since it's written for a teen audience. But, as an example of literature, it falls flat and since my interest in YA lit is exclusively how it might be used in the classroom or whether I can suggest the book for outside reading, I have to say, it's a problem. Soaking in a gossipy, soap opera loop of teenage angst and action adventu
Ariel
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A FANTASTIC FINALE! WOW!

I read Uglies at the beginning of this year and really enjoyed it.. later on I read Pretties and was really disappointed. It took me a while to get around to Specials, but boy am I glad I did because I enjoyed it so much!

It had all of the action, emotion, moral dilemma, character development, and great story-telling as the first one!

I won't say too much more since I'm planning a review video, but I was so happy with this finale to the trilogy! YAY!
Jeanna
Feb 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Valerie
I have only commented on Goodreads on a couple of books I've read, but this one really bothered me. (I still liked it enough to not stop reading, hence the three stars.) By the time I finished all three, I felt I had been lectured to and virtually yelled at about how awful a people we currently are and how horrifying our lifestyle is. Even though I am more than twice the age of the target audience (:-), I think the target audience is well equipped to understand a more nuanced approach to the obv ...more
katherine ✨
No, this book wasn't for me at all.

I started off flying through it, then it went to plodding along, then it went to snail pace, im surprised i even managed to finish it, i started reading it may 3rd, its now may 30th, took me nearly four weeks - which is rare. Tally annoyed me 90% of the time, to be honest - i don't think i liked a single character in this anymore, maybe i just got bored of the series i just didn't enjoy this one very much.

it did start to pick up but i still didn't care for the
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
Alright, let's get this over with.

******Spoilers ahead******

Soooooooo, we catch up with Tally who we know has been carted away back to New Pretty Town after Special Circumstances raids The Smoke - again. Tally wakes up and is now......

wait for it......

wait for it......

A SPECIAL!!! I know!!! I was in utter shock too!!! sarcasm

Tally is an extra speshul Special with the Special Circumstances agency. Try saying that three times fast. She has a super dooper new skeleton, super strong muscular muskles
Phoenix2
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dystopian fans sci fi fans
So, Tally was ugly, became bubbly and now she's icy. We found her as special this time around, working with the Cutters, a special unit of the SC, with Shay as the leader. Okay, the plot wasn't that good. I mean, the main idea was to make Zane special, and so he had to prove that he worth being special. But for me, and I don't know if it was something that the book tried to pass through as well, it was more about Tally finding Tally again. And, to be honest, I like David more than Zane, but that ...more
Ben
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this series of books caught my interest when i read a review by another goodreads member who seemed to have tastes similar to my own. so i was a little surprised when i realized it was young adult fiction but seeing as i am always looking for what may be the next great dystopian work i decided to give it a go.

for the record i started out with the first in the series, uglies, but a week or so later i had torn thru the first three which seem to be the trilogy. there is another in the series but
Liv (Оља)

So, first of all, here is a quick review:

Plot- it was rather interesting and there were some really action packed parts. On the other hand, I did not support some decisions made by Tally (even though I did understand them). It could have been much better. 3/5
Characters- Tally has a totally new personality (which is always cool reading about), Shay is super crazy once again, David is a bae (even though there were AGAIN only few scenes featuring him) 4/5
Romance- I guess the romance was there? We
Jess
Right. Thankfully that horrendous "bubbly" crap is over... Wait, no - it's been replaced with "icy". Whoopee-doo-daa.

description

I was well aware that I was most likely going to be disappointed with this finale because it is a truth universally acknowledged that a trilogy never wraps up well. But this ending was just so underwhelming, it puts Specials is on a whole new level.

The poor writing, which I can only describe as 'crude', has not improved at all since the first instalment. Who edited this?! The char
Violet
Nov 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
COUNT AS TWO BOOKS! Tally has been transformed into a strong, mean person like the specials she saw when she was an ugly and pretty.Everything is perfect, Shay and Tally are friends, the privileges of being a special type of special (a cutter), and she can have any crazy surgery she wants.When she helps Special Circumstances bring the Smoke down, her life as a pretty and ugly clash with her current life, making her decide if she should follow orders or fight for the places and people that bring ...more
★ Jess
Note: I am considering this book the finale of a trilogy, because Extras was an un-planned addition.

It is finally time for me to deal with Specials, the final book in the trilogy that began with
Uglies.
I have put off this review for a couple of days, because I honestly dont know how I feel about this one.
I think the main problem for me, is the fact that Specials is the conclussion to a trilogy, yet it certainly did not seem that way when I was reading it. Allow me to explain:
The Hunger Game
Edward's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
What a negative book!

I truly disliked the Special Tally, because not only was she an asshole but because I really liked her in the previous books. I know it wasn't her fault she got turned Special but still...

The plot was full of intrigue and action, but the parts that disappointed me most were when Tally was a bitch to all her old friends, not to mention what she did to Zane... I found it even more annoying when she (view spoiler)
Christina
Rory
Jul 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of young-adult action sci-fi desperate for new material
Kat
Oct 31, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've been in geek denial lately when it comes to my reading habits but I'll go ahead and say it...I like YA sci-fi! Ok?! Not high-fantasy space and other worlds stuff, but near-future dystopian sci-fi. "The Adoration of Jenna Fox", "Unwind", "The Hunger Games"...all stuff that I've read lately and enjoyed. So naturally I figured it was time to finally read the popular Uglies trilogy. A lot of the teen readers in my library are into it, so I gave it a try. Ok, so this is totally nerdy, but I'd co ...more
Ariana Mcmillan
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Personally I think “Specials” was a great book, the only thing I did not enjoy was the ending. The book’s ending made me a bit angry, I understand Westerfeld’s style, his endings tend to leave you with a few questions which urge you to read more, but this book being the last of the trilogy I was very disappointed. I’m not the type of reader that loves cliffhangers and I would have prefered a much more explained ending. I hope in his next book “Extras” he tells a bit about Tally and David’s futur ...more
Sami
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10+
Recommended to Sami by: 6th grade teacher and friends
Maria
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
3º livro desta saga. Esperava mais, muito mais. Achei que era mais do mesmo. Inicio parecido com os anteriores, enrola, enrola e o final idênticos aos 2 primeiros. Tenho o 4º para ler mas não fiquei com vontade, quem sabe um dia...
Nigham
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second and third books are far much better than the first one with more Twists, Turns and Tricks!
Briana
Original/full review here: http://thebookpixie.blogspot.com/2009...

Review
Scott Westerfeld concludes his remarkable trilogy with his final installment, Specials. (Yes, I said TRILOGY. In my opinion, Extras was merely an after thought.) With Tally now a Special, she has even more power to change the course of events in her life and in the world. And she does.

Specials was even better than its two predecessors, Uglies and Pretties, though they too, were great. Westerfeld continues to do an excellent
Emily
Series review (of the first three books anyway):
This series wasn't my favorite. The books were fun in places and the concept was certainly good and brought up interesting topics and issues, but I really didn't care for the main character, which kind of ruined it for me. The ending was also quite unexciting. The writing style was very unsubtle and not the best, IMO (although it did improve slightly over the course of the three books). They might be fun books to just breeze through and enjoy witho
Oksana
DNF at 59%

Well, this book was annoying. I struggled with it for three days, but I just couldn't. While I generally enjoyed Uglies and Pretties, Specials was slow, boring and full of a bunch of either flat or completely unlikable characters.

After her operation to become a Special, Tally now acted and sounded like a robot. Honestly, there was now nothing about her anymore to make me care enough. I also never actially liked Shay from the very beginning of the series, but here she was just insuffera

Leah ~ą ცųɬɬɛγʄιყ ɱųʂɬ ʄιყ ʄγɛɛ!~
This series became amazing in the third book. Technically, the story is over now because it was originally a trilogy. The ending was a little confusing, but I still kind of liked it. Overall, it's worth getting through Pretties for this book. I will say some more on the bottom of this review, but be warned: what I'm going to say WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS. It's only for those who are fine with spoilers, and those who've read the book.

Clean rating: some mild swearing.

(view spoiler)
Zane or David? 179 488 Mar 23, 2017 01:21PM
Where you really upset when Zane died? 82 349 Feb 06, 2017 11:51AM
Nothing But Readi...: Westerfeld, Scott - Specials (Uglies #3) - Informal Buddy Read; Start September 2nd, 2015 27 182 Sep 11, 2015 04:08AM
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • Linas kvällsbok 2: Två killar och ett hjärta (Linas Kvällsbok, #2)
  • Turnabout
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • The Bar Code Rebellion (Bar Code, #2)
  • The Diamond of Darkhold (Book of Ember, #4)
  • The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3)
  • The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers, #2)
  • Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • Magic Lessons (Magic or Madness, #2)
  • Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)
  • Shrimp (Cyd Charisse, #2)
  • The Dark (Guardians of Time, #2)
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f
More about Scott Westerfeld...

Uglies (4 books)
  • Uglies (Uglies, #1)
  • Pretties (Uglies, #2)
  • Extras (Uglies, #4)

17 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“ I love you all. But it's time to say good-bye, for now.
be careful with the world, or the next time we meet, it might get ugly.
-Tally Youngblood”
428 likes
“I don't want to hurt you but I will if I have too - Tally Youngblood” 362 likes