Start by marking “Switched (Trylle #1)” as Want to Read:
Switched (Trylle #1)

Switched

(Trylle #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  92,168 ratings  ·  6,868 reviews
Switched - the first book in the Trylle Trilogy...

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right.

With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and
Published January 3rd 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Switched, please sign up.
Avaminn F'nett Pick up the book, open it, flip to the first page, read the words, flip the pages until you're finished.
Lila Wayne high-five Sulagna Mondal, because i felt exactly the same thing when its like the entire serie is finally over and you've got no more of the…morehigh-five Sulagna Mondal, because i felt exactly the same thing when its like the entire serie is finally over and you've got no more of the Wendy-Finn-Loki stuff you would've loved to read. But you can try reading the Kanin chronicles - its about the Kanin troll tribe, and some mentioning of the trylle is also there :)(less)

·  92,168 ratings  ·  6,868 reviews

Start your review of Switched (Trylle #1)
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Review for this book is below the PSA. The PSA does not have anything to do with the book but a TOS policy change that Goodreads deemed not to tell their faithful users.

photo Goodreads_zpsfd34dfc1.jpg

This book started out strongly. Despite the protagonist being a brat (the throwing hissy fits kind) I was very into the story. However, when it got to the middle and she completely forgot about the family she loved because "ooooo cute boy" and the plot seemed to focus purely on her crushing on said boy they lost me. And the
Katerina
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Sooo, after finishing Switched I realized 2 things:
1. I'm officially in love with Amanda Hocking
2. Trolls are hot
(3. I also suspect that I am a troll due to the hair thing, but I haven't found any proof yet. I'm looking on it.)

Did you think you could treat me like shit at a dance, then sneak into my room in the middle of the night and tell me that I'm a troll with magical powers, and I'd just be like, yeah, that sounds right.

Wendy Everly, a girl whose mother tried to kill her when she was
shady boots
A more formal (and better xD) review of this is available on my blog. Check it out!

_______________________________________

I hadn't had a book infuriate me this much since A Beautiful Dark.

So Wendy Everly finds out she's a changeling switched at birth, and that she's actually one of the Trylle─a.k.a. trolls. She's also a princess.

Every. Single. Character. In this book. Expected her to know everything about Trylle life already. Nobody even educates this girl. Sometimes Finn, the hero, tries to,
Alex Bennett
Please check out Electrifying Reviews for more reviews like this, plus giveaways, interviews, and more!

By now, practically everyone knows Amanda Hockings story. Self-published wonder turned multi-millionaire, now with multiple book deals. Before all of the hoopla, I read a little book called Switched. Even before all of the fame, I loved this book. So, of course, when it was re-released, I absolutely had to read it again. And let me tell you, I loved it even more this time around!

Switched is
claire elise
Picture this - a great life with a loving family,( with the exception of your mother trying to kill you when you were 5). and you're a total brat. all through out this book, i could picture Wendy whining and using her little gift of persuasion *sarcastic ooooh and ahhh* to get her way. It was her own fault for not having friends and being miserable because she never freaking tried. Its a two way street honey. You're not THAT beautiful. speaking of which i was so fucking tired of her constantly ...more
Jeff
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
HOT DUDES?

.......
That's all you need to know, my friends ;)
Giselle
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
Trolls! I know, right? Flashy colorful hair, so-ugly-they're-cute dolls we all had at one point? In Amanda's world, these are all misconceptions. They're called Trylle, and they're beautiful, magical and on the brink of extinction.

With an entirely unique lore, Switched is able to stand out from all the other paranormal books available. I was fascinated by the Trylle mythology: How they lived, the monarchy, their custom of switching babies at birth. It was absolutely creative. Into this world
Pearl Angeli
First off, Switched is really gorgeous. Just look at the cover. Isn't it so beautiful? I personally chose this edition because the cover has some work of magic in it. It's like, it has an ability to suck me into its world. Beautiful!

Second, the premise is really, really good. I love fae stories, and trolls are something new to me. I wanted to know more about trolls because I really find them interesting.

And of course, the fact that the female character Wendy Everly is a troll and a changeling,
Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
Review also posted on my blog.

I finished this awhile ago and am quite glad I decided to do so. There are plenty of suspenseful moments in this book which is why I kept reading bu there are also things lacking.

One thing that got on my nerves was the lack of character building. I mean nearly all the characters felt like cardboard cutouts with no depth or personality. I found them hard to emphasise with. And another hing is I would have liked to know a bit more about the trolls themselves and what
Limonessa
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the author to work more on it
Recommended to Limonessa by: Vasya
Well, this was interesting.
I've read and heard some much about Amanda Hocking lately - even an article on a major Italian newspaper - that I finally decided to give it a try.
I'd like to start by saying that this is my second attempt at a self published author and the first one didn't go well. The other book I read was ALMOST HUMAN ~ The First Trilogy ~ 3-in-1 Edition and the main problem with it was the editing. The book was probably 150 pages longer than necessary and there was so much
Shannon
May 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
*Sigh*

So I went into this with low expectations. I had heard that the books were riddled with typos, so on and etc. But I made the argument to myself that most people do. "It's only $0.99."

What I liked... 1. good pacing. The books have a zip-zip pace to them, and I think that's what draws a lot of people in. 2. There is a sense of playfulness.

What I didn't like.

1. Trolls... treillings, whatever you call them. Just, really? I just couldn't get beyond the image in my head from a Merlin episode
Megs ♥
Ugghh! I like Amanda Hocking. I loved her series My Blood Approves, but this book was disappointing.

Originally I tried to read this when it was first self published, and couldn't finish it. I got about halfway, put it down, thinking I have way too many better things to be reading right now than this troll book. It wasn't even like I hated it, I just got incredibly bored and got to a point where realized I didn't care about Wendy or what happens to her.

So we know that recently it was
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Overview:

So trolls

description

Only not those.

description

And not those.

Instead:
Wendy has spent her entire life feeling as if she does not belong. Her mother attempted to kill her when she was six-years-old, claiming she was a monster, and since that time, Wendy has moved from place to place with her loving
Ahmad Sharabiani
Switched (Trylle #1), Amanda Hocking
Switched - the first book in the Trylle Trilogy...
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و ششم ماه ژوئن سال 2014 میلادی
ا. شربیانی
Switched begins with a flashback. Our narrator, a seventeen-year-old named Wendy Everly, tells us the occasion that she first became aware that she was a monster. She was six years old and throwing a tantrum at her own perfectly nice birthday party. But we cant quite dismiss little Wendy as nothing but a brat, because her father died very shortly before her birthday.

Wendy storms back to the kitchen to yell at her mother for buying her a chocolate cake when Mommy knows full well that Wendy doesn
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 Switched - ★★★★★
#1 Torn - Not Read Yet

Wendy Everly knew she was different the day her mother tried to kill her

Her mother told her she has been switched at birth. Unable to fit anywhere, bored and frustrated by her small-town life, she also has to hide her secret - the fact that she can somehow influence peoples decisions, without knowing how or why she does it.

When the dark and handsome Finn shows up at her bedroom window one night,
Scott Heaton
Feb 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
'Switched by Amanda Hocking caught my eye due to its high position on Amazon Kindles bestsellers and its awesome price of 99 cents. Without knowing a thing about the book other than the brief synopsis I read before I downloaded the story, and the overwhelming number of positive reviews, I figured it would be an awesome quick read.

Switched is about Wendy Everly, a girl who lives with her aunt and brother in an attempt to control the chaos of her life. Her mother, Kim, tried to kill her on her 6th
Nicole
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
My two star rating really says it best... it was ok. As other reviewers point out, the story feels really rushed in the beginning. You don't get a chance to know the characters before you are thrown into the action. And for me, that is a pretty big flaw. I need to be interested in a character before I care what happens to them.

In my opinion, this is yet another book jumping on the "Twilight" bandwagon. Angsty teenage girl moves to a new town, starts a new school, and is immediately attracted to
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Not for me anymore*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱
This review is purely for me and might contain spoilers and facts from the book to keep myself in the known at all time. It's also very long and somewhat detailed.

Second re-read: 03.06.2018
The book centers around Wendy Luella Everly (17) who never fit in anywhere. She has grown up thinking she's evil because her mother hates her, calls her a mother and at six years old, tried to kill her. Turns out her mother was right; Wendy is a changeling. She was switch
Rebekah
Originally read: 6/21/2012
Reread: 2/19/2016 full review to come....

Alright, I don't know if I'm just super generous with my stars or if these are really good books. I loved this book I couldn't put it down! Something new and of course cheesy romance but clean.

Well you hear all the time about changeling stories but about the human that is taken not the other way around! This time it's actually about the changeling itself, which was nice and was brought back to the world that they are actually
K. Elizabeth
I do not give out 1-star ratings lightly. At least, not within the last year. Nowadays, if I don't enjoy a book, I'll give it 2-stars since I understand the effort that goes into writing/editing/publishing.

But this book honestly bothered me so much and I told myself I wasn't going to go off on it, but I think I might. So, bear with me and my rant

The number one thing that bothered me about this book is how Wendy's "mother" is described as being beautiful in an anorexic way. I wrote the actual
TL
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddyread with Melissa
(re-read for me)

Melissa's review here She couldn't get into it but its all good:)
-----

2.5 to three stars

Didn't love it as much this time around but it was a nice trip down memory lane, so to speak.

Some things that didn't annoy me the first time did in this re-read and in some instances the world building had me shaking my head.

Don't regret reading it again but I think I'll be giving my copies of the series away now.
Cait (Caitsbooks)
I reread this for nostalgia and I forgot how much I loved this series.

Don't get me wrong- it wouldn't hold up if I was reading it for the first time now- but I still love it. This was one of the books that made me fall in love with YA, and I owe it so much for that.
Mizuki
Feb 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Switched follows Wendy Everly, a teenage girl who had always felt awkward and out of place (her mother trying to kill her when she was six doesn't help her self-esteem much), into a journey to discover her true origin. First she was approached by Finn, a 'tracker' who insisted that Wendy was not human but a supernatural being --I won't reveal what kind of supernatural being she is, because her true identity is pretty much interchangeable with vampire/fairy/werewolf/alien, etc. You only need to ...more
Mary
Mar 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Me trying to rate book:

Scans options.

Me:"OMG! I can't put 1 star!??? What is this!!"
Grabs book and glares at it. Takes out red pen. Smiles evily.
Screams: "Why isn't there a no star option!"
Tears out hair.

OMG what a disaster! I am sooooooooooo glad I borrowed this at the library! Lately I have been really interested in the fey and this book even had a promising premise......which soon utterly failed. Big time.

If you like:

1. Girls who define themselves as pretty and are self-obsessed

2. Girls who
Andy Gavin
I've been doing research on publishing for the last year. I'll have to write a separate post about the changing nature of the biz, it's relationship to other publishing businesses (like video games), and the rise of the self published ebook author. But in any case, I stumbled upon this independent and self published author who is selling very well (mostly on Amazon) with no prior print history. I figured I'd check one out. Switched appears to be her best seller and she says on her blog that it's ...more
Reading Vacation
REVIEW

I read these three books back-to-back-to-back on my Kindle. The story had me so engaged, that I could not put it down. I was reading in the car, at school, on my bed, at the dinner table, and in the media room. You could call it an obsession.

In this paranormal tale, Wendy learns at the age of seventeen that she is a troll. Oh, but she isnt just ANY troll, her past is filled with mystery, deceit, and some unexpected ancestors. Amanda Hocking carefully twisted this plot with all sorts of
Alyssa
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Switched by Amanda Hocking
Book One of the Trylle trilogy
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Rating: 3 stars
Source: Review copy sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself
Hermione
DNF.

So, I really didn't like Switched.

Here's the deal: Wendy is probably one of the most annoying protagonists I've ever read about. It's not that the story was boring, however much I read it - that wasn't it. I really didn't like the characters (plural), and if I don't, how can I read this book?

Wendy is of the following: annoying, bratty, selfish, tantrum-y, conceited, and whiny. (enter tons of bad adjectives here.)

Finn is of the following: trying-to-be-dark, trying-to-be-sexy,
Khadijae.523
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university
AMAZING!! Finally I just finished Switched A Trylle Novel by Amanda Hocking. It made me feel exited all the way along. It mainly talks about a girl that was different than everyone else, strange and she doesnt quite fit in! Her mother tried to murder her as she accused her of having been switched at birth. Though she is not the monster her mom claims she is. Cant tell you more hhhh :p its one of the books that steal you attention... Couldnt stop from reading it. ...more

• Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)
  • The Dark King
  • Evermore (The Immortals, #1)
  • Wings (Wings, #1)
  • Crepúsculo (Crepúsculo #1)
  • Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1)
  • Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)
  • Ember (Ember #1)
  • Fae (Fae #1)
  • Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2)
  • The Charmer (Darklands, #1)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)
  • The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
  • Halo (Halo, #1)
  • Evernight (Evernight, #1)
  • Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)
  • Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
AMANDA HOCKING is the author of over twenty young adult novels, including the New York Times bestselling Trylle Trilogy and Kanin Chronicles. Her love of pop culture and all things paranormal influence her writing. She spends her time in Minnesota, taking care of her menagerie of pets and working on her next book.

Several of her books have made the New York Times Bestsellers list. Her zombie