Start by marking “Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1; Books of Arilland #1)” as Want to Read:
Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1; Books of Arilland #1)

Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  14,713 Ratings  ·  2,187 Reviews
It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One ni
Published May 8th 2012 by Harcourt Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Enchanted, please sign up.

Cmadler The allusions to sex are veiled, brief, and limited. They're likely to fly past younger children unnoticed. Depending on your opinion on that and your…moreThe allusions to sex are veiled, brief, and limited. They're likely to fly past younger children unnoticed. Depending on your opinion on that and your child, it could be considered for a younger child. If it were a movie, it would certainly be rated PG, not PG-13.(less)
Meike If the 13 year old has been exposed to fairtales before (the original once) I would say yes. There are some parts that are somewhere between brutal…moreIf the 13 year old has been exposed to fairtales before (the original once) I would say yes. There are some parts that are somewhere between brutal and scary, but not more than in other fairy tales.(less)

Hira
Oct 28, 2011 marked it as to-be-released
Shelves: fantasy, ya
It'd be kind of funny and tragic if she was named Friday in current times. It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday!
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Before reading this review, please keep 3 things in mind:
1. This is JUST my opinion
2. This is JUST my opinion
3. I've had a lot of caffeine tonight, and THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Basically, the main word I'd use to describe Enchanted is bizarre. Even before I ultimately decided it wasn't going to get any better and I couldn't care less about the characters, I thought that this was a very bizarre story.

Some fairy-tale retellings are written to sound like extensions of the real story and others are
Anne
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Enchanted is easily one of the better books that I've read this year. If you're a fan of fairy tales then this is a definite Must-Read. The author did an amazing job of including almost every single well-know fairytale out there into one incredible story. And, yes. They are all told in a fresh way.

At first glance this looks like a retelling of The Frog Prince, but there is more...so much more to this story. Cinderella, Snow White, Jack and the Beanstalk, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, Rapunzel.
Elevetha
So it wasn't bad. But it wasn't good.

The prose is nice and descriptions are lovely.

First off, Sunday Woodcutter meets a frog in the woods and INSTANTLY decides to tell this frog her life story and all about her family and their troubles. But, as we already knew, the frog is an enchanted prince. As soon as he talks...INSTA!LOVE ensues.

Sunday is besotted by this creature of loveliness that listens and seems to care for her. But they can never have more because he is doomed to a life as a frog.

Th
Bark's Book Nonsense
This review and the rest of the crap I write can be seen @ my blog Bark's Book Nonsense . Stop by and say hey.

This story was as charming as it was frustrating. The narrator does a beautiful job with her lovely, lilting fairytale-like accent but the material has issues even a skilled narrator can’t overcome.

A beautiful young lady named Sunday falls truly, madly, deeply in love with a frog. A talking frog, mind you, but a slimy frog nonetheless. Now don’t get me wrong, I like frogs well enough.
Mimi Valentine
Rating: 4.5 beautiful stars out of 5!

Absolutely ADORABLE. Magical. Smile-inducing. And so incredibly sweet! This book is one of the many reasons why I love fairytales and their re-tellings so much!

Enchanted may mention some of my favourite fairytales — from The Princess and the Frog to Cinderella to Jack and the Beanstalk and more! — but it's much more than just a re-telling of them all. Alethea Kontis weaves them perfectly into an original and surprisingly complex story that's her own, adding
Hermione
Jun 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: idiots. complete, flat-dimensional, stupid insta-loving idiots
Recommended to Hermione by: my idiotic self
Pre-reading: Oh my gosh, it's a frog-turns-prince type of story! Haven't seen you before! Definitely will be reading thissssss~

Post-reading: Uck. 1.5 stars.

I hate giving books one star reviews. I understand that authors work very hard to write a book, but it takes us only a few days to read it. And in those few days, the time after you close the back cover, you can decide whether to give the book a good rating or a bad rating.

Unfortunately, Enchanted from me got a bad rating.

I've never really
Tamora Pierce
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-ya-yr
It's a wonderful mix-up of fairy-tale tropes, a clever love story, and a delightful tale all on its own!
Kat
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Is it my fate that I must read books that get my hopes soaring only to get them dashed on the rocks of bitter disappointment?! Every part of me wanted to like this, and there were some points that I did, though mainly in the beginning. However the further I delved, the greater my confusion, frustration and befuddlement (I am aware befuddlement and confusion mean the same thing. I use both to emphasise the depths of my perplexity) over a story that wasn't really sure what it wanted to be. Was it ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Pau

An interesting read. A fairy tale for more mature readers. It’s a fusion of a lot of well-known fairy tales from Rumpelstitlskin, The Frog Prince, Princess and the Pea, Jack and the Beanstalk, Cinderella and so on. It’s a very bold attempt, I must say and for that I give the writer due credit. I had fun puzzling over which fairy tale a particular incident is referring to. What’s ironic though is that the strength of the novel is also its very flaw. Because of the never ending references to famil
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Enchanted is one of those books that tries too hard. I am potentially the biggest sucker for fairy-tale retellings. I have to talk myself out of fairytale stories on a regular basis.

To some extent, this is the retelling of The Frog Prince. The main character Sunday, the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, meets a talking frog at the fairy well behind her family's house. They become friends first, then quickly she falls in love with the frog. One day she gives him a kiss then goes home. After
Kathy
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014

Inspired-kathys-reviews

I love both fairy tale retellings and twisted fairy tales so this one was right up my alley.  I think my favorite thing about this story was the sheer amount of fairy tales that the author referenced or tied into the story line.  I thought this would be a simple retelling for The Princess and the Frog but there ended up being more depth to the story.  The characters lives are all woven together and honestly it was a little confusing at times but by the end of the book I was satisfied and am loo
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"Blithe and bonny and good and gay? Who could ever live up to that? It's not in any way realistic. I don't want to be happy and good and dull. I want to be interesting."

Sunday Woodcutter is the seventh daughter in her family, and everything she writes down in her journal has a mysterious way of coming true. When she meets and befriends Grumble the frog near her house she has no idea that he is actually Rumbold, the crown prince under the effects of a curse!
When they begin to fall in love, and Ru
TL
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Started off okay, very charming and Sunday was adorable but after Aunt Joy came along, it started to go'meh' for me... The fairy stuff was semi-interesting but not enough for me to want to go on.

It's a cute idea but just not for me.

DNF at 41%
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is blithe and bonny and good and gay.

Sunday is the youngest of the Woodcutter children, with six older sisters and two brothers, plus an adopted Fey brother, crammed into a house that resembles a boot. The eldest son, Jack, had, long ago, gone to work
Ceitidh
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read more of my reviews at Dazzling Reads

"My name is Sunday Woodcutter, and I am doomed to a happy life." (Enchanted, Kontis, 2012, p.1)

Now, Readers are "Doomed" to a Happy Reading ❤

Books like Enchanted are the reason why I started my blog. This book is such a Dazzling Read that I NEED to tell everyone about it. Enchanted is a magical and wondrous story that will make readers forget about reality and transport them far away to a fascinating kingdom and to experience one of the most beautiful an
Lis
Also Found On: A Book and A Record

Enchanted was, quite honestly the book I’ve been searching for. Lately my reading life has been a little bit “blah” as in no book sounds remotely good. Because of this I’ve been a little weary to pick anything new up, and have instead reverted back to oldie but goodie books that I can read over and over again. Luckily I stumbled upon Enchanted.

Enchanted is fairy-tale at its finest. Honestly, this would definitely have done any one of those Grimm Brother’s proud.
Elena
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Oh, Alethea Kontis. When I read "Sunday," the short story on which this novel is based, I was charmed. It was a lighthearted fairytale that didn't pretend to be weightier than it was, and it was just a really fun story.

However, the light, charming short story should never have become a novel. This story feels like it struggled to become a book. The plotline was disjointed and drawn out, and there were so many threads that never seemed to really connect, or didn't connect in a way that was emotio
Jodi Meadows
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book and I are going to be together forever. FOREVER.

AND EVER.

(In case that isn't clear: I loved this book.)
TheBookSmugglers
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic-fantasy
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.

Sunday Woodcutter is doubly-blessed - not only was she born on the Sabbath Day (and *doomed* to be bonny and blithe and good and gay), but she's also a seventh-born daughter.
Soumi

The child who was born on Sabbath Day, is blithe and bonny and good and gay

Seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, Sunday Woodcutter is doomed to a happy life. One day she met an enchanted frog Grumble , befriends with him and soon they fall in love . One night kiss of her true love transformed Grumble back into Rumbold, crowned prince of Arilland. Now the prince is desperate to win Sunday’s love for the person he is now, not the frog she fell in love with.

Enchanted is wonderful makeover on “o
Jo-Jo
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanted is utterly enchanting from start to finish. I love how the author weaves bits of different fairy tales into the book here and there but in each instance the fairy tale is never the same as the one we know but is done in such a way that we could all scratch our heads and wonder if it's possible that it could have happened that way and then got skewed to be the fairy tales we know along the way. Of course that isn't possible because this book came later...but the seamless way the author ...more
Isa Lavinia
I was really excited for this book because the description seemed so cute. It had so many problems, though...

I can excuse the insta-love, since this is a fairytale retelling, but that doesn't make it any less dissatisfying.
Sunday, the main character, is bonny and good, etc. But basically that's all she is, any of her sisters was a more interesting character than Sunday. The prince was a bit more interesting, but not by much.
While the writing was ok, the plot just tried to do too much. The main
Amy
Jul 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Being an absolute lover of fairy tales, it took only a glimpse of the "Fairy Tales" genre pasted on this book to interest me. In fact, I might have read it based on the cover alone. Or the title. Or the author's name. Alethea? What a beautiful name.
Enchanted is the story of the Woodcutter family, particularly the youngest, Sunday. The seventh daughter of a seventh daughter and seventh son, Sunday is destined to be "blithe and bonny and good and gay" and do lots of wonderful things. She's innoce
Marjorie Ingall
Sigh. I wanted to grab this book by the shoulders and shake it. Am baffled by why it's on YALSA's 10-best list. Really, it's the editor who needs some shaking -- Kontis is a first-time novelist (I think) and the book has that Moon Over Manifest issue of TOO MUCHNESS, too much in-loveness with its own cleverness. It could have been a third shorter -- really and truly. Kontis is too wedded to each precious turn of phrase, whether or not it adds to characterization or plot; this book is all about l ...more
Paradoxical
Jun 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
At once charming and hopelessly muddled, Enchanted takes old tales and tries to breath new life into them. Too bad that the story lines run into one another and you don't end up feeling anything other than "well, finally" at the end of the story.

The main character, Sunday, is the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter/son (which, you know, in fairy tales means powerful things). She's a passable main character, but completely fails to be anything more than that. She's rather boring, actually, es
Valerie
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
Enchanted taps on a lot of fairy tales from the dancing princesses, jack in the bean stalk, cinderella of course, princess and the pea, to sleeping beauty. I might've actually missed some becuase I wasn't looking for them.

Sunday is the seventh daughter of a the seventh daughter. It's good that the sisters were named one after the other by days of the week starting with Monday; even though Sunday is the real start of the week. Every once in a while a sister is mentioned I don't remember the age o
Bayla
A whole mess of fairy tales and fairy-tale themes -- that sounds like so much fun, right? Well, in theory, yes. In practice - well, sort of.

First of all, the plot was pretty unbelievable. Not to mention confusing. There's the fact that Sunday falls in love with a frog (and he with her)in less than three days. I mean, falling in love in three days is one thing that we can argue about, but with a frog? That's just kind of creepy. And gross, if you ask me. Also the fact that when he disappears (af
Jilly
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, faeries-fae, y-a
Put every fairy tale in a bowl, add in nursery rhymes, bedtime stories, folklore, and fae magic, and you get this amazingly charming book that I loved, loved, loved!

It starts with the Woodcutter Family, whose daughters are named by the day of the week, which has a rhyme. Sunday meets a frog named Grumble who loves to hear her stories. Of course she kisses him at the end of each day, hoping to break his curse, but nothing happens. And, of course she falls in love with him.

Every character in the

Book One of the Woodcutter Sister series
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC (traded with a blogger)

Summary (from Goodreads):

When Sunday meets
  • The Sweetest Spell
  • Dragonswood (Wilde Island Chronicles, #2)
  • Kill Me Softly (Beau Rivage, #1)
  • The Treachery of Beautiful Things
  • A True Princess
  • Snow in Summer
  • Into the Wild (Into the Wild, #1)
  • Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
  • The World Above:  A Retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk and Robin Hood
  • Toads and Diamonds
  • Violet Eyes:  A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea
  • Unlocking the Spell (Wide-Awake Princess, #2)
  • A White So Red
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • The Curse Girl
  • Magic Under Stone (Magic Under, #2)
  • The Phoenix Dance
  • Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)
"A veritable badass fairy princess." --Jim Butcher

"Alethea Kontis IS fairy tales." --Jim C. Hines, author of Libriomancer

"Alethea Kontis: Awesome, racks up award nominations, wears tiaras." --SF author Ferrett Steinmetz

"I want to live in [Alethea's] head because I think that might be the most interesting place in the world!!!!" --Ellen Oh, author of Prophecy

"Alethea Kontis, the woman who writes li
More about Alethea Kontis...

Woodcutter Sisters (5 books)
  • Hero (Woodcutter Sisters #2; Books of Arilland #2)
  • Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters #3; Books of Arilland #4)
  • Thieftess (Woodcutter Sisters #4; Books of Arilland #7)
  • Fated (Woodcutter Sisters, #5)
“If you did not indulge in fantasies, how else would you know if you were living an interesting life?” 72 likes
“Sometimes 'Hmm' is the wisest thing to say.” 66 likes