Start by marking “The Nosferatu Scroll (Chris Bronson, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Nosferatu Scroll (Chris Bronson, #4)

The Nosferatu Scroll

(Chris Bronson #4)

BOHEMIA, 1741

On the northern banks of the Vltava River, an extraordinary event is taking place. Inside a private chapel, a high-born Hungarian lady is being laid to rest. But not before her heart is removed from her body, and she is buried beneath a layer of heavy stones - lest she rise again to prey upon her victims ...

VENICE, 2010

Holidaying in the world's most beautiful
Published November 24th 2011 by Bantam (first published June 9th 2011)

Start your review of The Nosferatu Scroll (Chris Bronson, #4)
☽•☾-Grimalkin-☽•☾
Disappointing to say the least.
About 100 pages in, I was totally sold into the story. A desecrated corpse, murder, a beautiful Venetian backdrop, kidnapping and just weird shit going down, like weird milk and a very old diary.... COOL!
About half way through it started to get a bit boring and repetitive. I lost count at how many times the main characters "shuddered" which I know is trivial but it got on my bloody nerves.
Then, what joy, it picked up again and got fast paced, exciting and scary, Y
Jason
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dan Brown victims
Recommended to Jason by: Insomnia
It's easy to be scathing about these kinds of books. As an Indie publisher, I like to keep up with what's 'hot' in the mass-market bestsellers, so every now and then I swipe randomly at the Top 10 case in the station, or on the ferry, to receive the litmus fix.

#4 of a series, apparently, by Becker, the jacket blurb was enough to show where the story would lead well before its almost 500-page block was exhausted. I therefore held no high literary expectations, anticipating the generic 'historica
Jim Gunnee
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a really difficult decision giving 2 starts.

It's the only James Becker I've read, so maybe I'm missing something of the characters, but they don't seem well developed to me.

There are lots of reviews on Amazon and elsewhere that unfairly criticise the book - I don't have any problem with the plot or the content - I think my main problem is threefold:

1) It's too long. There is no need for this book to be more than 300 pages. Which leads me to...
2) IMHO it needed another edit. Either by Be
Katie.g
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A little bit disappointed if I'm honest. This reads like a thriller but the ending was always very obvious to me. There was a hint of there being an actual vampire in the story but the reader never finds out if it was one or not. I also would have preferred if the two main characters were an actual couple rather than divorced with very strong feelings for one another. I've not read the previous books in this series but it didn't make sense to me for them to be divorced.

In all, an OK read but no
Abbie Ennis
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Becker has brought Christmas early! This book is so far his best and has left me wanting more. The incorperation of vampires and crime in this novel can satisfy all.

Bronson and Lewis are unable to have a quiet holiday and end up racing through Venice chasing men who after the gift of immortality.

A truly gripping read!
Winnie
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This must be my favourite Chris Bronson novel to date. Vampires are a popular subject at the moment - Trueblood, Vampire Diaries, Twilight to mention just a few but this story manages to take a fresh approach to the vampire legend. Chris Bronson is in the ultimate race against time to save the day in this tense, exciting adventure.
Jeremy
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book in a little over a week. This either tells you that it is a great book which I couldn't put down or that I had too much time on my hands. A bit of both I think and a 3 hour train journey also helps. It also helps that James Becker writes in a very formulaic style with short “chapters” and cliff hanging last paragraphs and carrying 2 or 3 story lines in alternate “chapters “ (Terry Pratchett does the same). Some may dismiss this book on that basis as a good beach read and lit ...more
Rosie Amber
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book opens with a scene set in 1741. The burial of Princess Eleonora Amalia Magdalena of Lobkowicz. A Princess of the Schwarzenberg family, but one who received no royal funeral and no family in attendance.

Next we jump to the present day, Chris Bronson and his ex-wife are on holiday in Venice. They are witnesses to a broken grave, on the day of the Festival of the Dead. They find an old diary in the broken grave of Carmelita Paganini and a strange burial sight.

The police in Venice are under
Jodi
When British cop Chris Bronson and his ex-wife take a week's vacation to Venice he wasn't expecting a busman's holiday. Neither was he expecting vampires. In fact, it takes serious suspension of disbelief, on his part and ours, to expect them now but when Angela, his ex-wfe, is kidnapped by the serial killer, Chris refuses to rule out any possibility. Graeme Malcolm's cultured European accent doesn't romanticize the vampires but it does serve to romanticize Europe which helps because the story i ...more
V.E. Lynne
Chris Bronson and Angela Lewis, divorced but back together, are enjoying a relaxing, romantic trip to Venice but their good time soon turns sour when they discover a diary, written in Latin, hidden in the tomb of a supposed vampire. Angela, an archaeologist, is kidnapped by a cult dedicated to the bloodline of the Princess Eleanora, the so-called 'Vampire Princess', and forced to translate the document. Several young women have been raped and killed by this group and Chris Bronson, himself a pol ...more
Anne
Interesting take on whether vampires really exist. I do not believe in them.
Debbie Bennett
Aug 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I've read other books by this author and they were more original. This just seemed like a rehash of every other novel of this type with nothing fresh or different about it. Pedestrian writing and a cliched plot and I'm not sure why I bothered.

And the deus ex machina twist? What a let down. (view spoiler)
John Hanscom
Feb 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another book I picked up as I had nothing else to read. What a stupid book and waste of paper. First of all, though it said nowhere on the title, or outer or inner description, it was about vampires. I am so bloody sick of vampires. Since "Twilight," every third book is about vampires. Secondly, vampires aside, some of the events were absolutely unbelievable and did not make sense, even in context. Third, the ending was a "deus ex machina," and I hagte that. Finally, the disposition of the vampi ...more
TheVampireBookworm
I must admit I avoid detective stories. Despite the logic and the uncertainty till the very end I find them usually too predictable and not as thrilling as I would want.
But since I needed a break from those free e-reads I'm trying to go through I thought why not kill two birds with one stone. This book had been sitting on my shelf for years so it definitely needed attention. And since it was a gift from my brother who couldn't resist buying two books for one price while he was waiting at the a
Tintendrache
Mind you: I only read the fourth book, because my parents bought it for me in England and thought I might like it.

Which I did. To my own surprise, I must add, so: Sorry, Mr. Becker, I underestimated you and judged your book before I started reading it.

Here is what I expected: The book was written at the end of the 20th century. And it has a male, police-man protagonist.
I thought that I would get a looot of: All the women are sexy but stupid, and the protagonist is a broken, pseudo-nice hero-type
Jon Shanks
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A fairly generic crime thriller with a possibly supernatural twist, although it is pretty vehemently denied most of the way through, but still leaves room for a little plausible deniability. I have not read any Chris Bronson books before, but I don't feel like I'm really missing anything, except why he's sharing a holiday & room with his ex-wife, whose relationship seems to question why they are separated when they still seem to be very much together. However, there isn't much room for character ...more
Keith Beddard
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes thrillers especially ones based around legends and archaeology
Despite the idea of vampirism as being superstition James Becker treats us to an exciting thriller with plot turns as well as the idea of people going through a complicated initiation ceremony to become vampires.
Yes. Some of the words used are repetitive but in extreme fear shuddering is totally normal and that understanding is what makes James Becker such a good writer. So good I could not put it down.
Joe Geesin
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another fast paced well written thriller. OK The modern take on a classic old subject might seema bit daft but the way it's incorporated into a cult is done well.
When Chris and Angela become seperatad, it's easy to think you can work out the ending; while there are strong elements of that, there's a good couple of twists to come. Much is far fetched by that's half the fun. The draw of this series continues, and as the epilogue shows, it's well researched too.
Emma
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this one. Probably the worst book I've read this year.
He spent far too much time describing every single minor detail. And I felt like his knowledge of Venice just seemed rather like he just wanted to show off to me.
A whole two paragraphs describing how he loaded a gun was ridiculous. And the story had no proper ending.
The only redeeming factor was that I love the vampire myth, but even then it was quite meh. Wouldnt reccomend.
Alyson Walton
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
very easy read, whilst I was looking for something I could easily digest, this came across just a little too easy? I agree with other reviews that it was a little too easy to guess the outcome but it kept me entertained none the less. would I read any others from this author? Yes. am I in a rush to buy them? no.
Barbara Ford
Good read and I enjoyed it but I thought The Messiah Secret was a much better read.
Nick
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Easy going, fast paced and a different take on vampires. You never know who’s living next door
Alcides Castillo
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling
Eve Carter
Not bad but not fantastic... Didn't really do it for me this time. ...more
Dawn Davies
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I bought this book from a Yard Sale an absolute amazing book, I couldn't put it down.

I loved it.
Tana Voyage
Read it in a few hoirs.

Was a little silly. Dan Brown but with not as much historical details and mystery
Hari Hara
3.5 out of 5. Initially storyline was griping and it was slow at mid. Predictable ending
Sherry
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good action thriller. I enjoy books with a supernatural bent so picked it up due to the vampire angle. Reminded me of James Rollins a bit. A few spots in the story got bogged down. All in all though a good read.
Clarissa
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Being my careless self, I loaned this book from the library because it seemed interesting (history and vampires are my weakeness) and I got the impression that it wasn't a sequel to anything. You can imagine how badly I facepalmed when I did some research of the book and found out it's the FOURTH installment of the "Chris Bronson"-series. And did I mention I had already read more than 200 pages at that point?

Luckily The Nosferatu Scroll is similar to The Da Vinci Code; it doesn't honestly matter
Stuart Black
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
So, this is Mr Becker’s fourth novel of its type with policeman Chris Bronson as focal point and protagonist? I didn’t know this when I picked it up from the shelf in a well known supermarket simply for its ornate and decorative (although also slightly tawdry) cover. The back of the book contains a brief synopsis that mentions Bohemia in 1741, the desecration of the corpse of an aristocratic female, Venice in the modern day and an adventure centred on graveyards and the death of more young women ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Demon Club (Ben Hope, #22)
  • The Dante Conspiracy
  • The Lucifer Gospel (Finn Ryan, #2)
  • The Amber Secret (The Relic Hunters #3)
  • The Oracle (Sam and Remi Fargo Adventure #11)
  • The Pretender’s Gold (Ben Hope, #21)
  • Hell's Gate (Paranormal Archaeology Division #1)
  • Black City (Ulysses Vidal Adventure Series #2)
  • Decoy
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Wrath of Poseidon (Fargo Adventures #12)
  • The Ruffler's Child (Thomas the Falconer Mystery #1)
  • Killer Instinct
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • The Cleric's Vault (Sean Wyatt #2; Lost Chambers Trilogy #2)
  • Cold Kill (Steven Hunter Thrillers #2)
  • Dog and Duck
  • Assassin's Code (Joe Ledger, #4)
James Becker spent over twenty years in the Royal Navy's Fleet Air arm and served during Falklands War . Throughout his career he has been involved in covert operations in many of the world's hotspots; places like Yemen, Northern Ireland and Russia. He is an accomplished combat pistol shot and has an abiding interest in ancient and medieval history.

Chris Bronson (8 books)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2)
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Lost Testament (Chris Bronson, #6)
  • The Templar Heresy (Chris Bronson #7)
  • The Last Secret of the Ark (Chris Bronson #8)