Start by marking “Every Book Its Reader: The Power of the Printed Word to Stir the World” as Want to Read:
Every Book Its Reader: The Power of the Printed Word to Stir the World

Every Book Its Reader: The Power of the Printed Word to Stir the World

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  331 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Inspired by a landmark exhibition mounted by the British Museum in 1963 to celebrate five eventful centuries of the printed word, Nicholas A. Basbanes offers a lively consideration of writings that have "made things happen" in the world, works that have both nudged the course of history and fired the imagination of countless influential people.

In his fifth work to examin
Published December 12th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Every Book Its Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Book Its Reader

Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When you read this one be prepared to add another 1000 tbr's.
Sasha Martinez
Sep 30, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2010, yes
This is a book-lover’s dream. Or dream dictionary, to be more technically correct about it. This has always been in my “Currently Reading” pile—whenever I am plagued with that terrible hiccup I’ve dubbed Bibliophilic Purgatory, I skim the pages of this book, picking out choice anecdotes, lingering over highlighted quotations and images. It’s a book crammed with information and trivia about books, writers of books, collectors of books, readers of books, lovers of books. It made me giddy. In some ...more
Mar 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2007
A seemingly fascinating topic (judging a person by the books he/she has in their "library") made a bit tedious by Basbanes tendency to write in a stream-of-consciousness style.
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up on a whim at the Harvard Book Store sometime early last spring when I was feeling like I wasn't reading enough grown-up books. I read the first half and really enjoyed it, but then got distracted by some other book that needed to be read. I picked it up again when I needed something to read while I waited for the next group of requests from the library. I picked up where I left off a year ago, and slipped right back into it.

I particularly enjoyed the first few chapters, which di
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Pam by: Found in bookstore in Moab
Depending upon your reading style, you will find this book captivating or boring. For me it was captivating and exciting. I loved it! I am enthralled with books as history-makers in themselves, and that is exactly what this book is about. You will learn how books influenced America's founding fathers, Thomas Edison, Malcolm X. You will learn the effect that books have upon six month old children. You will discover the importance of the book collections that belonged to famous writers, politician ...more
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bibliophilia
Since I am a reading freak, I am always enthralled by Nicholas Basbanes books about bibliophilia, bibliomania, book collectors of all ilk, and lost libraries. In this book, he enters the realm of famous readers who have left commentary in the margins of the books they read. He discusses the keeping of commonplace books and interviews well-known readers of today, including David McCullough and Harold Bloom.

It is a fascinating book. However, I could not give the book five stars because he does su
Jun 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bibliophiles
Shelves: misc
I really enjoyed this book at first but lost steam towards the end. The last few chapters especially. One of my favorite anecdotes from the book was a story where Abigail Adams learned that her son, John Quincy Adams, was getting a little full of himself. She quickly wrote him a letter that contained the following:

"If you are so conscious to yourself that you possess more knowledge upon some subjects than others of your standing, reflect that you have had greater opportunities of seeing the worl
I know what you're thinking - how do you give two stars and a DNF to a book that you add to your list of "best non-fiction"? Well, I'll tell you.

This is an interesting book. An important book for book lovers. A book chock-full of educational, thoughtful and challenging information about books and their importance to the world. That said, it is also a book that, at times, reads more like a text-book than anything else, and not in a good way.

I didn't so much not finish this book, as put it away fo
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, even though at times it feels like forced lists of books that important folks read.

Most interesting were bits on Marginalia, the Unabomber (See Chuck Klosterman's "Eating the Dinosaur for a further treatment of this topic that is definitely interesting), Translation (Godel Escher Bach alert!), and a continuing compendium of "books to read" woven throughout the 316 pages.

This is a great book if you like to read about reading. If you like to comb books for other books to read.
Oct 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Emily
For my first book here at good reads, it's appropriate that it's this one. I have read the author's previous books & have found him interesting. This book was no exception. It deals with such topics such as what famous authors had in their own libraries, notes written in books and other topics relating to books and reading.
Jessica Robinson
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were moments when Basbanes lost me (and one particular Bloom-filled section that riled me up) but this is an extraordinary book about books and their readers. Basbanes is a devoted and passionate bibliophile and this book is a celebration of that obsession in himself and others. I get it.
Mar 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I don't remember much about this book except it made me want to keep at my project of reading the classics that I hadn't even started yet since I was still at the stage of reading about reading the classics. And I found good quotes for my new commonplace book.
This was an interesting concept for a book, but way to dense for me.
Well written but I found the topic rather dull.
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about reading books. What could be better than that?
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are times when I think my bibliomania is an insane waste of time. Then I go back and reread portions of this book. Insane--maybe, waste of time--no way.
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: perused
This is fun to flip through, but he can get bogged down in boring details. Also, I found it annoying that so many "best" lists contained only male names/writers. It gets old.
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fascinating information on books and people to whom books are important.
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibliophilia
A little dry.
Jan 31, 2010 is currently reading it
The book person's book person.
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little disappointed. Basbanes has written several in this series, and I thought the first, A Gentle Madness was the best.
Virginia Rand
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was interesting in places, but for me all the essays went on just a bit too long and they never really went anywhere.
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
For all who really love books, not just reading but collecting, holding, gaining understanding, to escape to worlds of another time, to use them to whatever ends you do, you will surely enjoy this book by an author who ranks high as a bibliophile. He's written many books about all things books and this one is very fun to read to identify with great readers of the many books that have no end.

As the page turns, we are met with the experiences of reading by many great authors, politicians, rulers,
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-reading
Who knew that writing in books could actually be a good thing? Not me, for sure. I learned a lot from this, and it certainly made me feel good about being a reader - lots of incredibly talented and brilliant people made reading the center of their lives. Coleridge, for example, was notorious for reading like it was going out of fashion and for writing in the margins of his books, to the point where his friends were kind of reluctant to lend him books. Now, of course, there's a huge collection of ...more
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I tried to love this book because it felt as if it should be loved. Alas, I could only 'merely' like it.
There were two problems in this book for me. First, it doesn't have a clear organization to it. Mr. Basbanes writes this book in a type of sophisticated stream of consciousness that makes it difficult to predict what topic will come next. At times I was pleasantly surprised with his choices. In fact the section of what the U.S. presidents read was probably my favorite. But the meandering did
I had something different in mind for this book. I was hoping it would tackle the books that truly affected the world, i.e., the general population. I expected to learn about books I'd never heard about before that were very popular in their time. Instead, the book takes a far more intellectual approach -- "the world" seems to mean the scholarly world.

Another review mentioned that you'll be adding a lot of books to your to read list, but unless you haven't heard of most classics, probably not. I
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-science
I mainly picked up this book to supplement my studies of marginalia for a term paper I was writing. That occupies only one chapter from the book, and I found that the chapter was primarily a recap of Marginalia, so it didn't add a lot of new information. The rest of the book does look interesting -- focusing on how the books that people read have influenced their lives and actions -- but I didn't have time to delve deeply.
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-read
This book covers a large variety of topics. One chapter is spent discussing what can be learned about historic figures by studying what they wrote in the margins of their books (aka marginalia). The author analyzes how translating a work into a different language can completely change it. One topic I found very interesting was how the meaning of a document can change based on who reads it and at what time in history. The example given is how the Bible and the Constitution have been interpreted d ...more
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I lost interest and then got pulled back in about 10 times. Lots of interesting things in here but you have to slog through some fussy, detailed, rambling passages. Also, the jury is out on how inclusive this was of women, people of color and queer people. Although there was some debate, in the end, it seems that the author and most of the people he interviewed think that "dead white guys" are more important than the expanding experience and perspective of the written word in today's world. That ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Book by Book: Notes on Reading and Life
  • The Anatomy of Bibliomania
  • A Great Idea at the Time: The Rise, Fall, and Curious Afterlife of the Great Books
  • The Book of Lost Books: An Incomplete History of All the Great Books You'll Never Read
  • The Smithsonian Book of Books
  • A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
  • Library: An Unquiet History
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance
  • A Passion for Books: A Book Lover's Treasury of Stories, Essays, Humor, Love and Lists on Collecting, Reading, Borrowing, Lending, Caring for, and Appreciating Books
  • ABC for Book Collectors
  • The Library: An Illustrated History
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • The Book on the Bookshelf
  • Living With Books
  • Slightly Chipped: Footnotes in Booklore
  • Rereadings: Seventeen writers revisit books they love
  • The Case for Books: Past, Present, and Future
Nicholas A. Basbanes is an award-winning investigative journalist and was literary editor of the Worcester Sunday Telegram. His articles have appeared in The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, and Smithsonian, and he is a recipient of a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship. Basbanes lives in North Grafton, Massachusetts.
More about Nicholas A. Basbanes...

Nonfiction Deals

$11.49 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
    $13.99 $3.99