Start by marking “The Stooges: Head On” as Want to Read:
The Stooges: Head On

The Stooges: Head On

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The story of seminal Ann Arbor punk rock band the Stooges, told through original interviews with the band members and associates.
Published September 1st 2011 by Wayne State University Press (first published July 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Stooges, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stooges

Nestor Rychtyckyj
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
We welcome Brett Callwood’s recently issued, updated book on the Stooges also published by the Wayne State University Press. (They sure weren’t publishing any books on the MC5 or Stooges when I was going there). As with his MC5 book, a large portion of the book deals with the lives of the Stooges after the original band broke up and it treats all of the members equally. There are plenty of other books on Iggy but there would not have been an Iggy without the Stooges.

In a nice touch, the book inc
Jan
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
very entertaining
East Bay J
May 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-bios
I adore The Stooges. I’m a stupid, drooling Stooges fan. I don’t have, like, Stooges bed sheets and all the bootlegs (who needs ‘em?), but their music sends me. I found this 2008 Stooges bio used for $5 and knew there was no question I would take it home with me.

It was while reading the introduction that I got the first inkling that all might not be right. Callwood goes to great lengths to express to you, the reader, how much effort he put into putting this book together. This is bad because:

David Paco
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I was very excited to receive this book and am very glad I read it. However I do not find it to be worth all of the hype. The book reads as it were a magazine article. I understand that Callwood is a music journalist and I thoroughly enjoy reading his pieces in the Metro Times, but this journalistic style of writing was hard to keep my attention throughout the course of the book. I was quite disappointed with the details, or lack of them, as well. Within the first 66 pages Callwood goes through ...more
Tom Schulte
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a really good biography of The Stooges band and the impact of the Asheton brothers on the Michigan underground rock scene. The Iggy solo career, largely uneven anyway, is glossed over and instead we get a lot details on such projects as Dark Carnival, Destroy All Monsters, The Farleys, The New Order, etc. with first-hand quotes from Iggy, Ron Asheton, Scott Morgan, Niagara, James Williamson, etc.

This American edition has an excellent forward by Alice Cooper that adds much to the Michigan
Bullygirl
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, a really entertaining romp! It was a fascinating look at an especially unique branch of the Detroit Rock n' Roll family tree, and how that branch extended to Ann Arbor, LA, Australia, the UK and beyond. The pranks and antics where a guilty pleasure, and it was choc full of awesome random details like a surprise apperance of a young Elton John in a gurrilla suit storming the stage at a Stooge show, to hanging with Bowie, to living in apartments with so many roaches tha ...more
Tom Schulte
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric
May 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At a page count below 200 pages, this book is a flimsy and rather superficial look at rock's greatest acts. While the author is clearly a fan and did a lot of research, (and touches on a lot of things members of the band did before their reunion), this is not a definitive history.
James Garner
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When it all came together, and how it all flew apart. Genius and art are evanescent things. OOWWWWUUGGHHH!
Gary Shindler
Dec 20, 2011
Brett Callwood
Dec 17, 2010
Thomas Garet
May 25, 2017
Theresa
rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2016