Start by marking “Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink (Pilgrims, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink (Pilgrims, #1)

Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink

(Pilgrims #1)

Libby Kelting had always felt herself born out of time. No wonder the historical romance-reading, Jane Austen-adaptation-watching, all-around history nerd jumped at the chance to intern at Camden Harbor, Maine’s Oldest Living History Museum. But at Camden Harbor Libby’s just plain out of place, no matter how cute she looks in a corset. Her cat-loving coworker wants her dea ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Giselle
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, arc
Libby, history nerd and fashion expert, doesn't know what she's getting into when she goes off to a summer internship at a living history museum. She expects to get her chance to live in her very own Jane Austin novel. Instead, she's thrown from a bitchy roommate, to an extremely irritating boat mate.

As a bubbly, outgoing girl, Libby is a fun protagonist that is great for such a light read. However, I felt quite irritated by her choices and lack of common sense in this novel. Especially when it
Mimi Valentine
I've read a lot of cute, smile-inducing, and totally fun books in my time — but Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink is undoubtedly one of the CUTEST on my list!

I have this epic love for Libby. She's a hopeless romantic, a lover of fictional characters, a super-fashionable teenager, and a total history girl... In short, she's a whole lot like most of us! She's bubbly and sweet and ridiculous and fun. Some of the things she says and does are so adorable that you just want to jump in the book and hug her!

Bu
Brooke Shirts
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fiction, 2012
Light, fluffy YA romantic comedy. I loved the premise -- Legally Blonde-meets-Colonial Williamsburg -- but some of the plot points stretch credulity (what summer internship would require a 17-year-old girl to be roommates with a young man on a tall-masted ship? How likely would a nonprofit museum provide free unlimited beer to minors at a work party?). The storyline will be familiar to any fan of Hollywood romcoms (there's even the requisite Sassy Gay Friend) but readers who pick this up probabl ...more
Rachel Harris
Truth: When reading e-books, I love highlighting certain turns of phrase, word choices, swoony moments, and things that are just fresh and cool and I admire.

Second Truth: I found myself highlighting more sections in PILGRIMS DON’T WEAR PINK then I remember doing in any other book in a very long time.

This story renewed my faith in the need and immense value in young adult literature that is light and pleasurable and just plain out fun. Don’t get me wrong, PILGRIMS DON’T WEAR PINK has serious mome
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Initially, I thought this sounded awesome. I mean, the heroine loves Jane Austen and history. That's totally exactly like me, right? How can this not be great? Easily, apparently. All you have to do is make the heroine completely vapid and ridiculous. It reminds me a lot of Past Perfect, which was really popular with other people, but that I thought was disappointing. God forbid a heroine actually be able to handle only using her cell phone at night. THE HORRORS!

What's so incredibly frustrating
Karina Halle
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I'm writing under deadline, I seriously have no time to read. Still, I figured this time around, 30 minutes before bedtime couldn't hurt to clear my head, particularly if it's a light and fluffy book.

Well, this book is certainly as light and fluffy as it looks. And it's funny too, a lot funnier than I thought. And clever. And all sorts of good stuff.

The main character Libby reminded me a bit of myself back when I was a "fashionista" and had a fashion blog (it's all true and you can actually
CatherineG_C2
I'm giving up this book today. No. The writings great, but I'm no longer interested in this book anymore. First, the theme doesn't really match my favorite genre (fantasy/fiction) so I wasn't really liking the book. Then theres the beginning, it had no claw or net to grab the readers attention. Because most of the books I read that were extremely good have a 'sloppy' beginning, and I usually keep reading and the book gets better; so I decided to keep reading the book (Pilgrims don't wear pink, n ...more
Natalie
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
I found the heroine to be kind of annoying and oblivious, the story to be really tropey and predictable, and the pop culture references to be really dated (the Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana, etc). There were also some major holes in the plot and/or things that didn’t seem believable. For example, I didn’t think that the museum staff would let a random (underage) guy and girl live together. That was totally unrealistic. And Ashling’s character was just way over the top. She was annoying and her ...more
Dawn Vanniman
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for review from www.netgalley.com.

Libby gets a chance to work a summer internship at Maine's oldest living history museum and jumps at it. Her best friend, Dev, is appalled and wants her to intern with him in New York at Teen Mode (a fashion magazine).

This is not, honestly, the kind of book I generally pick up. But - it sounded cute and involved history. I'm so glad I picked it!

Libby is a total fashionista whose also a serious history buff. She also bakes, crafts, reads and
Vivian
Sep 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
I was primed to relish this fun "light romance". I loved the introduction to the characters and the plot -- so much so that I talked it up to my daughters (one of whom is a college graduate in costume design and the other who elected to snatch the book up and voraciously read it whilst I was at work).

In this awkward mash-up of Cinderella and Pride&Prejudice, the author makes it to page 130 before dropping the F-bomb. Sigh. Why? Why? Why? clutter an otherwise fun book with potty-mouth? Then
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun unexpected read. I really enjoyed the characters and the slight paranormal underlining mystery thing it had going for it.
Libby was a very real likeable character. Garret was fun and Cam was drool worthy (well, for awhile anyways. ;) ) and her friend Dev was such a riot.
I love the Jane Austen period and could totally relate to the whole falling in love with chivalry and poetry and the time period. When a man was a real gentleman and love ruled all.
I just loved Libby's charac
Vicki
I think that this book just lacked any depth for me to truly like it. Libby is the MC who goes to a summer camp as a counselor to teach girls how to do things from long ago, such as make wax candles, needlework, and other such things.

The predictability comes when she meets two boys: Cam and Garrett. One is her "prince charming" and the other is her pain in the rear...just annoying. As you read it, it doesn't take long to know what is going to happen.

There is a ghost at the museum that everyone
Jaime
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Whitney Pohl
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: v-w-bookclub
Short, sweet, and just cheesy enough.
Gea
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was incredibly cute. I've never really been one for history, but I still really felt myself drawn into the story, and could still relate to Libby a lot with the book-loving and trying to fit in. I really loved the setting, and found myself wanting to be at Camden Harbor, being a part of the crew there, and getting involved in all of their crazy activities and sometimes drama. This book actually made me want to take up an interest in history myself and visit all the museums. We actually ...more
Jen
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this in a couple quick gulps, perfect summer candy reading for me. I was interested initially in a YA about a history nerd girl who does a summer internship at a living history museum. Which then turned out to be really obviously modeled on Mystic Seaport, down to my being able to recognize descriptions of some buildings before I even knew the author was from Connecticut and figured that out. The resolution of the love triangle was obvious from the beginning but it was still nice to watch ...more
Meredith
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, middle, summer
Slightly smarter than your average pink book, but still frothy enough. There are no surprises, but there are entertaining (if stereotypical) characters and actual historical facts, more in depth history than you'd expect. Libby eschews beer and there's nothing more than kissing, and not really much subtlety to speak of; even though she's a rising senior in HS, this reads more as meant for middle school. Pop culture references will seem dated very quickly.
Caitlin
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Garrett just might be one of my favorite leading men of all time. A Trekkie who has a way with words and knows an independent woman when he sees her? Swoon.
I also love books that I can learn from. Libby's obsession with history taught me a thing or two about early colonialism. Gotta love lard.

Anyway. Probably a 3.75 star book that I'm kind of in love with.
Ayesha
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Aww how cute. Sweet and fluffy yet with meaning. I thought Libby was a little silly to not realize what was going on faster - with Cam and with the ghost - but I'm willing to chalk it up to first love butterflies.... Except that Cam ...... yeah. But nevertheless, a pretty little beach read.
Julie Graves
Well I rarely do this, but I'm giving up on this one. I'm sick of the use of God and Jesus Christ as curse words. I'm tired of wasting my time on this piece of writing that no longer interests me because of the language and pointlessness of the story.
Brianna
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Don't let the cover deceive you. This book is awesome. So clever, so funny.

Full review forthcoming on www.slatebreakers.com.
Kristi
Aug 08, 2015 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
yeah...... no. this one is cute but a little too cheesy for me. just can't get into it. dnf made it to about 30%. not sure I'll be picking this one back up
Morgan
It fell right in the middle for me at 3 stars. Quick, entertaining, and reminded me of some others I've enjoyed along similar lines. Nods to Jane Austen, Austenland, Scooby Doo, etc. Some giggles over what comes out of the mouths of children.

Negative was probably the extent to which every character was a stereotype.

I think I would have liked it a lot more if the MC was as smart as she was supposed to be -- she does some pretty dumb stuff, and takes a lot longer to even remotely catch on to thing
Emily M
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I really like the idea of a Jane Austen loving high school student getting to intern all summer at a colonial living history museum. That would have been my dream job at 17! But the fun ideas never coalesced. The romantic angle was yawningly predictable, the interesting details of her job (cooking pies in a Dutch oven, rendering lard, etc) quickly took a back seat to boring personal drama, and Libby's Legally Blonde ditzy personality just never jives with her alleged deep knowledge of history an ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
This was exactly what I was expecting - tons of fun. This was a fun summer tale, filled with some over the top characters, who really added to the overall hilarity of the book. I loved that Libby was such a regular teen girl. She love hair, clothes, and makeup, but she also was so obsessed with history. The pop culture references and snappy dialogue kept me smiling, and I am always looking for an HEA.

Overall: A fun and fluffy romance, which made me laugh, giggle, and smile a ton.
C Mccloud
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The MC became unlikeable real fast once she got to the museum. And how did she not know she would have to dress and act like she was from that time period? Why did you freak out about a no cell phone rule that’s basically a rule at every job ever? (Ugh, just remembered her gay Indian BFF, why do so many ya mc’s have a gay best friend and zero girl friends? Is it too much work to show they know more than one person?) Why and how did you sign up for the internship? With your eyes closed?
And this p
Anita
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book to fulfil the goal read a book with your favorite color in the title. it is definately on the juvenille side. still a fun easy read is all right once in a while. better suited for a 12 year old than me.
Hanna Lee
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’ve recently come to love Stephanie Kate Strohm’s books but this one was utter nonsense. So so predictable in a there is zero substance to this storyline kind of way. There were a few entertaining moments but I definitely don’t need to read the sequel.
Yvonne Crawford
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
popsugar challenge favorite color mine is pink choose this book and glad I did loved it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Radiate
  • The Stalker Chronicles
  • The Queen of Kentucky
  • Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
  • Ladies in Waiting
  • The International Kissing Club
  • Ditched: A Love Story
  • The Twilight Prisoner (Jack Perdu, #2)
  • Haint Misbehavin'
  • Beauty
  • Pizza, Love, and Other Stuff That Made Me Famous
  • Don't You Wish
  • Sternschnuppen
  • The Princesses of Iowa
  • Pretty Amy (Pretty Amy, #1)
  • Notable (Smith High, #3)
  • A Tale of Two Proms (Bard Academy, #4)
  • The "What If" Guy
Stephanie Kate Strohm is the author of The Taming of the Drew, Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink, Confederates Don't Wear Couture, and the upcoming It's Not Me, It's You and Prince in Disguise. She grew up in Connecticut and attended Middlebury College in Vermont, where she was voted Winter Carnival Queen. Currently she lives in Chicago with her fiance and a little white dog named Lorelei Lee.

Pilgrims (2 books)
  • Confederates Don't Wear Couture (Pilgrims, #2)
“I didn't know if I believed in 'happily ever after' anymore. I mean, I didn't know what would happen tomorrow, let alone for forever and ever after. But I did know that I was happy, right there, right then, with him.
And that was all I needed to know.”
9 likes