Start by marking “Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)” as Want to Read:
Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)

Last To Die

(Jack Swyteck #3)

In an exciting new series that critics have called "John Grisham meets Robert Ludlum," Miami criminal defense lawyer Jack Swyteck faces his biggest challenge yet.

Tatum Knight is a former contract killer. Ruthless. Conniving. And he's Jack's newest client. Tatum is the older brother of Jack's best friend, Theo. Theo himself spent time on death row until Jack found the evide
Published November 29th 2011 by Harper (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Last To Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last To Die

Branka Vujanic
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great one... love his style of writing, it's quite easy to read and the plot just keeps you on the edge till the very end. Was kind of disappointed to find out that there are only 3 of his books released in Serbia. Bummer.
Phillip III
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Jack Swyteck. Another great legal thriller.
Val
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised by how much more I liked this book than I liked the first one: The Pardon. The issue of child slavery in the chocolate industry was worked into the story, which was interesting and heartbreaking at the same time. On to the next book!
William
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Audio: the ingredients of a good mystery were there, however, the craft of writing a good story were not.
Karen West
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Grippando novel and I've found a new author that I am loving. This one is based on the premise that a young woman dies and 6 people are named as heirs to her $46 million estate. The catch is that only the last living heir will inherit. Let the games begin!
Jeff Dickison
This story got off to a very good start, but when I got into the book it frittered away to almost nothingess. By the time I finished I was just glad the book was done. Not really recommended except to diehard Grippando fans.
Scott Parsons
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
An earlier Jack Swyteck novel, Last To Die has an interesting premise. Having lost her daughter to an intruder some years before Sally Fenning has remarried and then divorced a wealthy French businessman who, among other things, is involved in the cocoa business in the Ivory Coast using child slave labour to enhance his profits. After only 18 months married to him, Sally gets a sizeable divorce settlement which has now grown to $46 million. For reasons which don't become clear until late in the ...more
Catrinka
I began reading Grippando's Jack Swyteck series with book #12, Gone Again, which I liked quite a bit and prompted me to read more of the series. Unfortunately, I didn't find the writing in this book, Last To Die, nearly as good.

The story got off to a fairly rousing start with a horrific murder in the prologue and there was a good bit of action throughout. But, it felt like the author was just throwing everything he could think of action-wise into the book, which made the story seem disjointed fr
L
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love it when the authors of "murder & mayhen" mysteries include some social issues--it reduces my guilt for reading and thoroughly enjoying my "trashy novels." In this case, Grippando brings in child slavery in the chocolate industry and mentions the FL tomato pickers. Without overdoing it for those who just want a quick read, Grippando gives a solid view of life and hardship among some of Africa's most disadvantaged.

Of course, there is the matter of the novel itself. Grippando has written
Nicky
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a bit slower than the first two I read. But they have been consistently unpredictable. I admit to being surprised a lot of the time. I still don't love the characters. Jack isn't exactly a catch. And he seems to attract the craziest of women. The women in these books, or the way they are portrayed, is a problem. But the plot has plenty of twists and turns that keeps you guessing until the end.
Jenn
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Jack. He's a pretty good lawyer. He knows how and when to bend the rules. He has ex-con friends and people who surround him and love him. I have to admit that I didn't figure this one out. I had no idea why Sally left all her millions for six people to fight over. And six people who were somewhat on the revolting end of the people spectrum. Highly enjoyable thriller with a number of twists I loved.
Cindy
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting plot & people & info on child slavery. The Lane character reminded me of my U.S. Marine Corps dad when narrator described his using the "F" bomb as a noun, adjective, adverb, etc. though none of the tirade was narrated beyond that description. No sex, some cussing. I've read this author before & will again.
Claudia
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carl Hiaasen, James W. Hall, Edna Buchanan and James Grippando are top notch authors of suspense novels set in Miami. This one has an implausible premise but delivers as usual. Jack and his best pal Theo always get into compelling scrapes.
Carol
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good legal thriller with twists along the way, and this was it!
John Marsh
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joan
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Grippando's Jack Swyteck series. Jack is a Florida attorney that always has his sidekick Theo in tow (who he got off from death row and quickly became best buds). In Last To Die, Jack is ask by Theo to represent his brother Tatum, when Tatum is named in a wealthy woman's will. This book has action, mystery, a little romance, and is packed with twists as the reader wonders why wealthy Sally Fenning named 6 beneficiaries in her will and the last one standing would get $46 million.

T
Barbara Schultz
Only my second Jack Swyteck, Jacks reminds me of one of my favorite Harlan Coben character Myron Bolitar.
I hate profanity and although this cast of misfits using foul language seems “in character” ~ I still hate it and ugh too many f-bombs were dropped. ~ noun, verb, adverb, adjective etc
Anyway, these 6 misfits are in line to inherit 46 million however only the “last to die” get the loot. Needless to say, this is a recipe for trouble!
There were more twists and turns than I expected. (view spoi
Linda
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Six people are in line to inherit forty eight million dollars, at least the last one living will inherit it all. This is the premise of the third Jack Swyteck book, and I am glad I didn't give up after reading the second book in this series. This time Jack is representing one of the heirs, an unsavory character, but the brother of Jack's friend, Theo. The story was clever and held my attention to the very end.
Steve Kusheloff
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique premise, written with authority

Basically it’s a story about a will that leaves a lot of money to a lot of people. From there the story takes some unique twists and turns. Like the old cliche, it will leave you guessing until the end. James Grippando is an attorney who became an author. His knowledgeable authority on the law is evident throughout. This was the first of his books I read, and I will definitely try another.
Holly Gravel
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A- I liked the Jack Swytek lawyer character. He got Theo out of death row 10 yrs ago and Theo became his right hand man. Now his thuggish brother was hired by a rich woman with a sorry history, to kill her. Then he and others were heirs to her 46 million dollar estate which was going to go to the "last to die." Some of the heirs die/are killed and in the end it's her ex husband and Theo's brother, a paid killer, who were in cahoots. Theo killed his brother.
Randa Mcnair
What a premise for a story! Not sure my suspicions would have been as spot on if I'd read the book, but the narrator "voices" kind of have away the suspects.
Mschmitz
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another classic by Grippando's
Peg
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay

This book was okay but not as good as the first two featuring Jack Swyteck and Theo Knight. The final resolution was different though than I expected.
Gayle
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this series, gets better with each book
Jerry King
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2003
Donna
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting twists & turns!!
Jim
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Wonderful thriller with great twists. If you don't yet know this hero and author, it's time to get on board.
Ryan
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
I really enjoyed this one. Fun and clever book, almost 5 stars. I'm definitely going to do some more of his.
Donna Halloran
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sad, very graphic, but great great storyline with unexpected twist (at least, I was surprised)
  • The Pinocchio Syndrome
  • Monstrum (Constantin Vadim, #1)
  • The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2)
  • Contents Under Pressure (Britt Montero, #1)
  • Blind Justice (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Face of a Killer (Sydney Fitzpatrick #1)
  • Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #4)
  • Hide Your Eyes
  • Quarantined
  • Ghost Dancer
  • Life Sentence
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2)
  • The World in My Pocket
  • Tärningen är kastad (Leona #1)
  • Heaven Is High (Barbara Holloway #12)
  • The Marketmaker
  • Findings (Faye Longchamp, #4)
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the 2017 winner of the Harper Lee Prize for legal fiction and a New York Times bestselling author of 26 novels of suspense, including the popular series featur ...more

Jack Swyteck (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck, #4)
  • Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)
  • When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6)
  • Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)
  • Born to Run (Jack Swyteck, #8)
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Blood Money (Jack Swyteck, #10)
  • Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)