Start by marking “How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age” as Want to Read:
How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age

How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age

AN UP-TO-THE -MINUTE ADAPTATI ON OF DALE CARNEGIE ’S TI MELE SS PRESCRIPTI ONS FOR THE DIGITAL AGE

DALE CARNEGIE’s commonsense approach to communicating has endured for a century, touching millions and millions of readers. The only diploma that hangs in Warren Buffett’s office is his certificate from Dale Carnegie Training. Lee Iacocca credits Carnegie for giving him the c
Published October 4th 2011 by Simon & Schuster

Michelangelo Bucci The wikipedia page has a good review. The audiobook, read at 1.5x speed can be finished in a very short time. I suggest you actually read the book…moreThe wikipedia page has a good review. The audiobook, read at 1.5x speed can be finished in a very short time. I suggest you actually read the book though.(less)

Tamara
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Simple advice: Listen. Remember people's names. Smile. And yet, I forget.

My only criticism: I would have liked more examples that related to the digital realm. If I'd read the original "How to Win Friends", I may not have found enough new information to be satisfied.

Favorite Tidbits

You can make more friends in two months by becoming more interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you.

The two highest levels of influence are achieved when (1) peop
Trina (Between Chapters)
Picked this up after hearing a positive review from a friend to see if this book has any insight I could use in my social media interactions. While I agree with and appreciate the principles in this book, it is full of stories and examples that drive home WHY certain tactics work or don't work, but it lacks practical advice on HOW to implement most of the strategies. It's like "look at all this research and these people who prove that X is the right thing to do! Now go do it!" when in many cases ...more
Greg Talbot
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
The original Carnegie classic "How to to Win Friends and Influence People" is a 10 out of 10 of classic books. "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" was a pick me up I read when I was 23, and influenced me greatly.

So why the low score here. Well, the big thing that is missing is the Carnegie voice. The stories here are more relevant to our era - rival directors at a fortune 100 company, using the King's Speech as a movie to reference overcoming struggle...but it doesn't ring as authentic or in
Antonio Rossano Mendes Pontes
This book is absolutely fantastic. You have to read it. Since there are a great too many things to say, I will try to summarize those most important quotes / advices / teachings in short phrases so that you can have a general idea of it. For me, the most important lessons from Dale's revealing book are:
(1) "NOBODY IS EVER GUILTY; NOT EVEN SERIAL KILLERS", so, dont expect self-condemnation from anyone. If you need to call someone's attention for some wrong doing, and bring the person to your side
Louise Silk
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
This is the classic information. Even though it claims to be updated for the digital age- It isn't.

The contents tells the story:

essentials of engagement:
bury your boomerangs
affirm what's good
connect with core desires

6 ways to make a lasting impression"
take interest in others' interests
smile
reign with the names
listen longer
discuss what matters to them
leave others a little bit better

to merit and maintain trust:
never say: you are wrong
admit faults quickly and emphatically
begin in a friendly way
acce
Sarah Churchill
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Most of this is common sense, but that's not to say that everyone practices common sense (especially in 'the digital age') so it definitely has its use. I love that all the points made in the original book still apply today, because at the end of the day it's about people - not the form of communication.

I haven't read the original, but from what I understand this version isn't really any different other than the examples being set on social media and email. While most people could still read th
Knjiski_Moljac
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: put-away
Ovu knjigu sam uzimala i ostavljala više put terajući sebe da je završim, jer je u suštini klasik koji se preporučuje u svakom časopisu, blog postu i slično vezanim za biznis. Meni jednostavno nije legla. Imam osećaj da govori o mnogo čemu, ali da na kraju ne postoji nikakva stvarna pouka koja se može izvući iz svakog poglavlja, osim ono što već piše u naslovu. Takođe, previše natrpanih imena i primera kompanija koja mi ponekad nisu bila zanimljiva i smatrala sam ih suvišnim.

Sve u svemu, drago
Muhammad Khan
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Theres some minority of good data with mostly filler words to surround them. I guess the original book is much better, the one without the digital age.
Sasha Boersma
After reading Carnegie's original, I was hoping to see a considerable update in this book - digital age applications. Maybe because it's already 6 years old and we've moved so beyond even 2011 technology, it didn't have the level of how to I was expecting.

Like the original, a whole lot of "old boys club" references and not enough modern-era anecdotes for my liking.
Academic Eric
I find the wording and perspective interesting on, essentially, the same thing that the book written by Dale Carnegie shared. Here is an overview of this book's Contents:

Part One

Part Three
How to Merit and Maintain Oth
Daniel Fok
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall great book. It can help you get things done faster. While the title seems manipulative, it's really about making a positive change, where everyone can mutually benefit. It's just a matter of how you use this new found knowledge. Business leaders can spur on their corporations with this, teachers can spur on their students with this. Basically, it's applicable to EVERYONE.

I've borrow this from the library to see if it's worth buying. Now, it will definitely be sitting on the shelves of my
Marina
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great advice for, not only business, but also for private life. it just shows you how to care more, be friendly and non-judmental with its consequences, i.e. when people react to the affirmative and sincere you.
Donal Brady
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Margaret
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, nonfiction
This book does have a lot of good, practical advice about how to deal with people: be genuine, smile, know people's names, start with praise, criticize in private, etc.

But it also lacks depth in several areas. For example, it claims it's for the digital age, but it doesn't actually give much practical advice about how to use these skills on the internet. I also lacks practical advice for when things go wrong despite your best intentions. And this is advice for white men, it doesn't talk about ho
Mary
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never yet read the original, having had a cynical view of what I perceived to be subtle American manipulation: 'do these tricks for results'. My public library had only this updated version however, and I am glad I read it. The approach is positive, the tone genuine and grounded in the wisdom literature. I have taken extensive notes which I need to apply in lots of human interaction, not just digtally. Here's one gem "always remember that what motivates you to win friends is rarely what mot ...more
Shimau Ismail
Nov 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
Very repetitive to the ideas presented in the actual "How to Win Friends and Influence People" Book. Further, only 20% or less of this book actually discusses anything about Digital age. This felt more like a desperate attempt to make the original book relevant in the Digital Age.
Siddharth
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some people might say that this book is just a guide to make you docile, some might summarize this book in just 12 quotes, but in my opinion, this is one of those books everyone should read atleast once in their lifetime. It will not make you an extrovert nor after reading you would find yourself making more friends, but it will definitely help in bringing positive change in the way you interact with people.
Mohammad Javad
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The title really undermines the depth and value of this great book. It's filled with insights on how to live with dignity and principles.
Justin Tam
Really changed my perspective on things.
Alexander Novicov
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a great book a lot had to do with the classic book that Dale Carnegie wrote.
Refreshing.
Keith Silvas
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I needed to read this. Everyone should. Very good advice.
DivyaJyoti Rajdev
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
For a book based on simple principles, it was better than I expected it to be. I could summarize it in 10-12 sentences like: remember everyone's name, allow people to save face, praise and encourage, smile always. But it would take you reading the book to understand why, or exactly how such things will benefit you. I particularly enjoyed how it was peppered with experimental psychology research.

If I could change one thing- it would be fewer sports examples.
Lembusora
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Buku yg lumayan mencerahkan. Mengingatkan kita untuk banyak tersenyum, berbuat baik, bertutur baik, dan mau memahami perasaan orang dulu sebelum menghakimi.

Pembahasannya agak kurang mendalam ttg zaman digital. Membaca buku aslinya mungkin masih tetap relevan di masa sekarang.
Kim
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Mostly common sense but there were some good points about managing others that would come in very helpful.
Saumil Shah
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
The original book (How to win friends and influence people) is one of my all time favorites!! This book is just old wine in a new bottle, and not that interesting. I would rather read the original book again.
Eileen Iciek
Sep 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was pleasant enough and had a few common helpful hints. However, what really got it a 1 star review was towards the end when the author tells the story of women in the workforce after WWII. These women had stepped up and had responsible jobs that they had performed well in, but were set aside for the returning soldiers. The one example the author gave was in restaurants, where women who had been cooks were demoted to the lower paying positions of waitresses. There was quite a bit of ac ...more
Lídia
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leinn
Lídia
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: leinn
Daniel Taylor
It's easy to get social media wrong. When you're sitting behind you're keyboard, you can forget that you're writing something that will be read by a real person and not a machine.

To get social media right requires the same relating skills that you need when dealing with people face to face. This modern-era version of the classic book on connecting to people teaches the core principles of engaging with anyone, how to make a lasting impression, how to gain and keep trust, and how to inspire change
Ernest
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original book published in 1936 held many truths that appeared evident but were rarely consciously noticed or followed. This book continues in to provide many useful ideas and advice.

What this book arguably lacks in the folksy wisdom and examples of the original book and its limited focus on social media and communication is balanced by the book not limiting itself to purely digital communication and examples and demonstrating that the points transcend the digital age.

The points made in thi
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People for Teen Girls
  • Go for Gold: Inspiration to Increase Your Leadership Impact
  • Great Leaders Grow: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • Sun Tzu's the Art of War: Plus the Ancient Chinese Revealed
  • Creating Personal Presence: Look, Talk, Think, and Act Like a Leader
  • What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day
  • So What?: How to Communicate What Really Matters to Your Audience
  • Piano On The Beach
  • 3 Seconds: The Power of Thinking Twice
  • People Tools for Business: 50 Strategies for Building Success, Creating Wealth, and Finding Happiness
  • Better Conversations: Coaching Ourselves and Each Other to Be More Credible, Caring, and Connected
  • The Art of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules for Making Meaningful Connections
  • The Values Factor: The Secret to Creating an Inspired and Fulfilling Life
  • The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work
  • The 100/0 Principle: The Secret of Great Relationships
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • My Greek Drama: Life, Love, and One Woman's Olympic Effort to Bring Glory to Her Country
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (originally Carnagey until 1922 and possibly somewhat later) (November 24, 1888 – November 1, 1955) was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Born in poverty on a farm in Missouri, he was the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, fir ...more
“Save someone's face once and your influence with him rises. Save his face every time you can, and there is practically nothing he won't do for you.” 5 likes
“British writer G. K. Chesterton’s reply to an invitation by the Times to write an essay on the subject “What’s Wrong with the World?” Chesterton’s response: Dear Sirs, I am. Sincerely, G. K. Chesterton” 3 likes