Start by marking “How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age” as Want to Read:
How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age

How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age

AN UP-TO-THE -MINUTE ADAPTATION OF DALE CARNEGIE ’S TIMELESS PRESCRIPTIONS FOR THE DIGITAL AGE

DALE CARNEGIE’s commonsense approach to communicating has endured for a century, touching millions and millions of readers. The only diploma that hangs in Warren Buffett’s office is his certificate from Dale Carnegie Training. Lee Iacocca credits Carnegie for giving him the coura
Published October 4th 2011 by Simon & Schuster

Michelangelo Bucci The wikipedia page has a good review. The audiobook, read at 1.5x speed can be finished in a very short time. I suggest you actually read the book tho…moreThe wikipedia page has a good review. The audiobook, read at 1.5x speed can be finished in a very short time. I suggest you actually read the book though.(less)

Start your review of How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age
Tamara
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Simple advice: Listen. Remember people's names. Smile. And yet, I forget.

My only criticism: I would have liked more examples that related to the digital realm. If I'd read the original "How to Win Friends", I may not have found enough new information to be satisfied.

Favorite Tidbits

You can make more friends in two months by becoming more interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you.

The two highest levels of influence are achieved when (1) peop
Trina (Between Chapters)
Picked this up after hearing a positive review from a friend to see if this book has any insight I could use in my social media interactions. While I agree with and appreciate the principles in this book, it is full of stories and examples that drive home WHY certain tactics work or don't work, but it lacks practical advice on HOW to implement most of the strategies. It's like "look at all this research and these people who prove that X is the right thing to do! Now go do it!" when in many cases ...more
Merphy Napier
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the focus on valuing people. So much to think about and great things to consider in day to day interactions. My one complaint is just that there were a lot of examples given for each point that didn't always feel totally necessary. But highly recommend this book.
Greg Talbot
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
The original Carnegie classic "How to to Win Friends and Influence People" is a 10 out of 10 of classic books. "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" was a pick me up I read when I was 23, and influenced me greatly.

So why the low score here. Well, the big thing that is missing is the Carnegie voice. The stories here are more relevant to our era - rival directors at a fortune 100 company, using the King's Speech as a movie to reference overcoming struggle...but it doesn't ring as authentic or in
Antonio Rossano Mendes Pontes
This book is absolutely fantastic. You have to read it. Since there are a great too many things to say, I will try to summarize those most important quotes / advices / teachings in short phrases so that you can have a general idea of it. For me, the most important lessons from Dale's revealing book are:
(1) "NOBODY IS EVER GUILTY; NOT EVEN SERIAL KILLERS", so, don´t expect self-condemnation from anyone. If you need to call someone's attention for some wrong doing, and bring the person to your sid
Louise Silk
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
This is the classic information. Even though it claims to be updated for the digital age- It isn't.

The contents tells the story:

essentials of engagement:
bury your boomerangs
affirm what's good
connect with core desires

6 ways to make a lasting impression"
take interest in others' interests
smile
reign with the names
listen longer
discuss what matters to them
leave others a little bit better

to merit and maintain trust:
never say: you are wrong
admit faults quickly and emphatically
begin in a friendly way
acce
Sarah Churchill
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Most of this is common sense, but that's not to say that everyone practices common sense (especially in 'the digital age') so it definitely has its use. I love that all the points made in the original book still apply today, because at the end of the day it's about people - not the form of communication.

I haven't read the original, but from what I understand this version isn't really any different other than the examples being set on social media and email. While most people could still read th
Marina
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great advice for, not only business, but also for private life. it just shows you how to care more, be friendly and non-judmental with its consequences, i.e. when people react to the affirmative and sincere you.
Semi-Academic Eric
I find the wording and perspective interesting on, essentially, the same thing that the book written by Dale Carnegie shared. Here is an overview of this book's Contents:

Part One

Part Three
How to Merit and Maintain Oth
Sean McQuay
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
The original may have been good, I don't know as I haven't read it. But this version seems to be the transcript a business training company uses to teach the principles of Carnegie's original work, not a book written by a book author. The tone of the book flops back and forth between what I think are Carnegie quotes and the modern lecturer's language. Anecdotes are all over the place and far too often raise questions that are unrelated to the point the author is trying to make. And, just as ofte ...more
Ismail Shimau
Nov 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
Very repetitive to the ideas presented in the actual "How to Win Friends and Influence People" Book. Further, only 20% or less of this book actually discusses anything about Digital age. This felt more like a desperate attempt to make the original book relevant in the Digital Age.
Keith Silvas
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I needed to read this. Everyone should. Very good advice.
Muhammad Khan
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Theres some minority of good data with mostly filler words to surround them. I guess the original book is much better, the one without the digital age.
Margaret
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, nonfiction
This book does have a lot of good, practical advice about how to deal with people: be genuine, smile, know people's names, start with praise, criticize in private, etc.

But it also lacks depth in several areas. For example, it claims it's for the digital age, but it doesn't actually give much practical advice about how to use these skills on the internet. I also lacks practical advice for when things go wrong despite your best intentions. And this is advice for white men, it doesn't talk about ho
Sasha Boersma
After reading Carnegie's original, I was hoping to see a considerable update in this book - digital age applications. Maybe because it's already 6 years old and we've moved so beyond even 2011 technology, it didn't have the level of how to I was expecting.

Like the original, a whole lot of "old boys club" references and not enough modern-era anecdotes for my liking.
Audrey
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Mayyybeee 1.5 stars. Which isn't to say that I really enjoyed this at all, but the different examples/anecdotes made some of it slightly easier to get through.
This book feels more like an essay compilation than a book. Not only that, but the essays feel like the result of a class of students all needing to turn in an essay on leadership. Only one of them actually wrote the essay, but was kind enough to distribute it to everyone else under the stipulation that they "change it a little."
That's i
Eileen Iciek
Sep 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was pleasant enough and had a few common helpful hints. However, what really got it a 1 star review was towards the end when the author tells the story of women in the workforce after WWII. These women had stepped up and had responsible jobs that they had performed well in, but were set aside for the returning soldiers. The one example the author gave was in restaurants, where women who had been cooks were demoted to the lower paying positions of waitresses. There was quite a bit of ac ...more
Daniel Fok
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall great book. It can help you get things done faster. While the title seems manipulative, it's really about making a positive change, where everyone can mutually benefit. It's just a matter of how you use this new found knowledge. Business leaders can spur on their corporations with this, teachers can spur on their students with this. Basically, it's applicable to EVERYONE.

I've borrow this from the library to see if it's worth buying. Now, it will definitely be sitting on the shelves of my
Alexander Novicov
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a great book a lot had to do with the classic book that Dale Carnegie wrote.
Refreshing.
Kristijan
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting and useful.
Donal Brady
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
eve v.
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
I haven't read the original Dale Carnegie, but this version was available to me in audiobook form and from what I gather it's very close to the original with only minor alterations. I've been meaning to read Dale Carnegie forever and now that I have... oh my goodness, where do I freaking start?!

The ONLY benefits you can maybe glean from this book are general courteous conversation tips (ask questions, use first names, etc) and "diplomatic niceness" tips which are beneficial for workplace and bu
Sheldon
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
On one hand, there were some interesting pieces of advice that continue to rattle around in my head, such as "don't criticize, condemn, or complain."

On the other hand, there were a number of sections that had somewhat questionable examples that were treated with a rose-coloured glass view, such as the celebrity who was "providing crucial help" during a natural disaster by retweeting information while on her elliptical machine. Seriously!? Perhaps a product of its time, the book was annoyingly "S
Mary
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never yet read the original, having had a cynical view of what I perceived to be subtle American manipulation: 'do these tricks for results'. My public library had only this updated version however, and I am glad I read it. The approach is positive, the tone genuine and grounded in the wisdom literature. I have taken extensive notes which I need to apply in lots of human interaction, not just digtally. Here's one gem "always remember that what motivates you to win friends is rarely what mot ...more
Marisa
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Audio book

Wonderful information. Should be read by everyone, but perhaps most importantly, the US President.

Memorable quotes:

01:39:00 It is the individual who is not interested in his fellow man who has the greatest difficulties in life. Adler is simply explaining that a self-centered life is the most problematic life one can live. A life lived in constant interpersonal struggle. Few true friends. Shallow, short-lived influence.

01:41:13 Thoreau wrote "Goodness is the only investment that never
Julia Christina Dewolf
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I chose to listen to this book over the original as it's been updated and I feel is more applicable. Also I liked the narrator quite a bit more on this one over the original.
What's said in this book should be common place to most people but really isn't. An easy listen.
Simply put LISTEN.
Lots of good pointers, I think I would even re-listen someday to remind myself.
Siddharth
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some people might say that this book is just a guide to make you docile, some might summarize this book in just 12 quotes, but in my opinion, this is one of those books everyone should read atleast once in their lifetime. It will not make you an extrovert nor after reading you would find yourself making more friends, but it will definitely help in bringing positive change in the way you interact with people.
Holdon Son
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
In the original HTWFAIP, I quit halfway through after being forced to read through the dreadful poem Father Forgets. I longed for an updated book that would have examples better than this one.

Alas, this book arrives, and guess what incredibly lame poem has stuck around? Ughhh!

Despite only being published in 2011, the examples feel so outdated (the two most viewed YT videos -- Charlie Bit My Finger and Laughing baby. With a combined 500M views!!!!) and the political bias is evident. The material
Becca Akins
This book was okay. The advice was good but rather than explain how to implement it in your life it simply lists the habit then tells the reader about someone who does that habit. I think it would have been more affective if the focus was on helping the reader rather than share stories of others.
Muhamed
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The title really undermines the depth and value of this great book. It's filled with insights on how to live with dignity and principles.

• Personal Development for Smart People: The Conscious Pursuit of Personal Growth
  • Winning with People
  • The Choice
  • How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes Into Stepping Stones for Success
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World, Part II: The End of the Story
  • Mochtar Riady: Manusia Ide
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • A Slap in the Face: Why Insults Hurt--And Why They Shouldn't
  • What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures, Updated Edition
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • The Real Book of Real Estate: Real Experts. Real Stories. Real Life.
  • The Infinite Game
Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (originally Carnagey until 1922 and possibly somewhat later) (November 24, 1888 – November 1, 1955) was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Born in poverty on a farm in Missouri, he was the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, fir ...more