Start by marking “The Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
The Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis, Vol. 2

The Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis, Vol. 2

(Avengers (2010) #2)

One of the greatest secrets in Marvel history is laid bare--and it just may reignite the Civil War between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers! The Illuminati thought their days as the world's protectors were over--until the Hood escaped from prison and embarked on a quest to gather the all-powerful Infinity Gems, which the super-secret brain trust had taken responsibility for saf ...more
Published January 25th 2012 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis, Vol. 2

Start your review of The Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis, Vol. 2
Kemper
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, marvel, superhero, comics
SHIELD Surveillance Report - Subject: Team code named ‘The Avengers’ - Top Secret - Nick Fury’s Eyes Only - Transcript that follows documents a conversation between Steve Rogers (Former Captain America) and Tony Stark (a/k/a Iron Man).

Steve Rogers: Hey, Tony. How are you doing?

Tony Stark: Not too bad. You wanted to talk about something?

SR: Yeah, I do. Take a seat. I just wanted to let you know that I was initially a little leery of putting you on this team of Avengers.

TS: I understand. After all
Nicolo
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collected-comics
Post- Siege (check out my review of the miniseries here) experienced a massive Avengers renaissance highlighted by the return of the original adjective-less Avengers title, as opposed to New, Secret, Academy and Young. The launch of new titles featured the different Avengers branches and an expanded roster. This new era could be rightly called a Heroic Age , the end of division ( Civil War ), no more distrust ( Secret Invasion ) and a hero appointed as America’s new top cop, as opposed ...more
James DeSantis
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Give me a Red Hulk going head to head with "The Hood" with the Infinity Gems in here and you got me a volume I kind of loved?

This is excellent fun over the top Avengers stuff I love. After The Hood escapes from prison he finds the location of one of the Gems in a Inhuman temple that was left. With that he uses it to retrieve the other gem from Reed while using the reality gem to trick him. With the Power Gem he visits Red Hulk and decides to lay the fucking SMACKDOWN on his face. This leaves th
J.
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’ve been reading The Avengers on a monthly basis since a little before Bendis pulled the whole Disassembled thing. Looking back on it, that’s a lot of time to invest into a title. Couple that with the fact that I stuck with Bendis’ handling of the team through both the New and Mighty Avengers titles and then the “Heroic Age” relaunch and that’s a lot of time spent reading his take on the franchise. I’ll admit that for me, Bendis is the name I will probably always associate with Avengers. I’ve g ...more
Sam Quixote
Oct 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS

What do you do when you start a series called “New Avengers”? Dredge up old storylines of course! Brian Michael Bendis goes back to Jim Starlin’s “The Infinity Gauntlet” for this new iteration of the Avengers to play out. The Hood (yup, really) has bribed his way out of Ryker’s Island and made it to the secret kingdom of the late Black Bolt to acquire the first of the Infinity Gems – powerful stones that, once all 5 are collected together, form the Infinity Gauntlet, an item of incredibl
Sineala
The Hood steals the Infinity Gems, everyone finds out about the Illuminati, and Steve and Tony are the mom and dad of the Avengers. They love each other, they just have some stuff to work out. NO KIDDING.

I will admit to a great fondness for the Illuminati. Not really fond of JRJr's art here, but apparently I will forgive a lot for this story.
Judah Radd
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel-comics
Personally, I think this is Brian Michael Bendis’s best collection of Avengers issues.

The majority of this epic little tpb is basically The Infinity Gauntlet II. It’s an awesome story about the hood trying to assemble the gems. Red Hulk becomes an Avenger and the battles are epic.

From there, we get something of an ominous Age of Ultron foreshadowing. It’s badass.

The art is dope. JR Jr is at it again.

I really really liked this. It’s popcorn fun for sure... but it’s very well done popcorn fun (
mina
The ending. Whaaaaat
Brian Poole
In the ruins of the site of the Inhumans’ former home in the Himalayas, de-powered villain The Hood discovered one of the Infinity Gems, hidden there by missing Inhuman leader Black Bolt. After The Hood stole another Gem from the Fantastic Four’s HQ, he attacked the Red Hulk as a test of the Gems’ power. Iron Man gathered the Illuminati once again, with Medusa responding in place of Black Bolt, and none too impressed with the gathering. The Illuminati went to check out the Himalayan theft and so ...more
Mike
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God I hope Bendis knows what he's doing because if he keeps writing these earth-shattering stories he's gotta run out of ideas sometime. And what do we read about then - Spidey gets a hangnail?

I continue to enjoy Bendis' writing - even though it's continuing on this path of more serious, more earnest writing. There's lots of thought and backstory put into each storyline and it's clear Bendis takes this job seriously, not phoning it in (at least not on this book).

JRJr is harder to pin down my opi
William Thomas
One of the very first crossovers I ever read was the single issue format of The Infinity Gauntlet. I was in total awe of that book. It was so damn big, so monumental, so perfect to me at the time. Seeing all of the heroes and Adam Warlock and Thanos and Epoch and Galactus... it was just so damn cool. Its what started me reading the Infinity Watch, a supremely underrated book if there ever was one. I was ten years old at the time and I had just fallen in love. My first love.

And I think Bendis mus
Jeff
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
The Infinity Gauntlet. Remember that storyline. It appears that The Hood (Is he called “The Hood” because he wears a hood or because he’s the pent-ultimate hoodlum?) discovers the existence of the Infinity Gems while in prison and begins to track them down. The Illuminati, the Marvel Universe’s behind the scenes mover and shakers, hid the gems because the person/being who controls them all has absolute power over everything. Everything!

The storyline also brings the Red Hulk into the heroes' fold
Sonic
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this!

(My ONE criticism would be the horror I felt when I read the in the Precap about the Red Hulk. I hate who he supposedly is, and it almost ruined it for me. Amongst ALL the things we comics readers are supposed to allow for in the category of "suspension of disbelief" I had a particular problem with this one.
And it scratches the raw nerve of how the Hulk has never resembled (being a mutated version of) Bruce Banner.

Am I right?
Am I Right???

Anyway...
Once I got over that
Megan M
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this volume, which centers around the Hood attempting to bring together the Infinity Gauntlet. If you're a Steve/Tony shipper, you'll love the many great scenes they have together. And the bit with Spiderman explaining to Noh-varr who Mommy and Daddy are... perfect. So perfect. All in all, a great, action-packed volume for fans of the many variations of Avengers. So many characters make their way into the story that you're bound to find something worth your time. ...more
Anchorpete
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Belgian waffle of a comic book.

Ice Cream, placed on top of a waffle. What a wonderful book! Pretty much every relevant Marvel hero, at the time, getting together to track down the Infinity gems, which have been hidden by the members of Illuminati. This reminded me of the crossovers I read, in the 90s, while I was growing up, reading the comics. It was great seeing this as one of the last stories that Bendis wrote, while in charge of the Avengers.
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Dear Brian Michael Bendis: Never change. That bit with Spiderman explaining to Noh-Varr that Steve Rogers and Tony Stark are the mom and dad of the Avengers will never get old. Never.

Also, the story was good and well-executed. Romita Jr.'s art is fantastic (I particularly love the way he draws Steve Rogers and Thor).
Kyle Berk
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
The Avengers (2010) volume 2 is a promising continuation of the first volume. After dealing with Kang and the young Avengers a man with lots of resources starts hunting down the infinity stones, which are in the hands of all the different Illuminati members.

It’s a solid volume drawn well by John Romita Jr. Bendis is doing large scale Avengers stories here. Though they have the inter workings of a character drama which is part of the reason I find it so charming.

A big thing that kept coming up d
Kahn
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You see? This. This is what I was talking about.
When Strange is the focus of attention, the books feel flimsy and lightweight, they lack depth and passion.
And yet give the Avengers an equally kooky, off-the-wall, kinda tale, and it feels tight, solid, action-packed. As if Bendis knows what he's dealing with.
And that's when the Marvel universe rocks.
Here we have Cap n Tony falling out because Cap didn't know that Tony and a select group of chums had gone and hidden the Infinity Gems in various sa
Brandon
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Infinity Gauntlet, The Red Hulk and secret societies hidden within the Avengers. This book certainly covers a lot of ground. It's all held together by good writing and excellent artwork that make all of these improbabilities seem probable. Also this is one of the rare Avengers stories were they seem to be in charge of the situation - or at least as much as they can be - as opposed to waiting around for a super-villain to come and challenge them. The interaction between the heroes is laced wi ...more
Martin
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember I read that years ago and I thought it was just okay.

Today it seems just great! It's nice, funny and quite enjoyable. The whole book takes about 50 minutes, so it's quite readable. The art is perfect. It's not too intelligent, but it's not too dumb either. And it sets up Hickman's amazing New Avengers run in a wonderful way :)
CupcakeBlonde
Liked seeing a different side to the Infinity Stone story line. And cool to see Red Hulk come around to being a hero. This also seems to be the start of the permanent rift between Cap and Tony. Even though things work out, that strain is still there.
Judith Groen
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this volume. I liked the sort-off crossover with the Secret Avengers and the New Avengers. I also liked learning a bit more about the infinity gems, since they are kind of a big deal in the Marvel Universe (and MCU). The art was okay, but not really my cup of tea.
Thomas
Better than Vol. 1, solely for the ending. This was my breaking point for Stark/Rogers ideological differences from Civil War being dragged up.
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
It was one of those books that really don't add much to the overall. Most of its merit is a lingering effect of older storylines, which actually takes away the book's own value. Fun read, though. ...more
Gerry
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff, but the ending left me a bit underwhelmed. I love the art style, some beautiful splash pages.
Terry Collins
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fresh and exciting take on the Infinity Gems and Gauntlet with the return of the Illuminati? Great stuff!
Gomezmr
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book were totally amazing.
Joel
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Infinity Lite. A further extension of the Hood character. The stakes are well placed. Handled well I thought.
Nicolas
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was great. The characters are used well and the story builds to a satisfactory conclusion.
P Fosten

• New X-Men, Volume 2: Imperial
  • Daredevil, Volume 14: The Devil, Inside and Out, Volume 1
  • Fallen Angels, Vol. 1
  • Shattered Heroes

Avengers (2010) (5 books)
  • Avengers By Brian Michael Bendis, Vol. 1