Start by marking “Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)

Prince Caspian

(The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronological Order) #4)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  317,994 ratings  ·  6,159 reviews
The Pevensie siblings are back to help a prince denied his rightful throne as he gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false king. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of an entire world.
Published June 20th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 15th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Prince Caspian, please sign up.
Susan Prudhomme I think you have me beat, Andromeda, although I don't keep count. It was fun re-reading it this time, because I was reminded of all the ways the movie…moreI think you have me beat, Andromeda, although I don't keep count. It was fun re-reading it this time, because I was reminded of all the ways the movie departed from it. Also because it's a better story than I remembered. I usually go for The Horse and His Boy, or The Magician's Nephew.(less)
Colin It is the order in which they were originally published, it was only later that publishers decided to order them in chronological order of events,…moreIt is the order in which they were originally published, it was only later that publishers decided to order them in chronological order of events, claiming that this was Lewis' own recommendation, although this is disputed (eg. by CS Lewis expert Alister Mcgrath thinks it is misleading to claim Lewis wanted people to read them in that order). (less)

·  317,994 ratings  ·  6,159 reviews

Start your review of Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
Patrick
I read this aloud to my older boy, age 6.

It's a good book, and he enjoyed it, but didn't ring the bell in the same way Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe did. I think the biggest reason for this, was that it wasn't as accessible to him.

The first issue was the non-linear story. Which has the potential to confuse. Later, Lewis splits the party in a way that divides the action in the story.

But the biggest issue is that the characters lapse into archaic, courtly English
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
You doubt your value. Don't run from who you are.
The Pevensie siblings (Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy) spent the last year daydreaming about Narnia. Despite the horrors of the White Witch, but they constantly think about returning to Narnia for they are only truly themselves when they are with Aslan.
Feeling like the voice she liked best in all the world was calling her name.
And when they suddenly find themselves thrust back into Narnia, they discover one very, very important thing:
Things never happen t
P
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, classics
“Things never happen the same way twice.”

Admittedly Prince Caspian was boring at first for I didn't like the symbolic meaning of the whole book. It was hard to read and that incredible ending nearly shut me out from enjoying, it's abrupt and unsatisfied at all. Although I quie liked the movie, the book is so much different. The pace is excruciatingly slow. I didn't like the over-descriptive narration talking about everything including flowers, sky, and trees.

“Wouldn't it be dreadful if some day in
trees.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Prince Caspian: the return to Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #2), C.S. Lewis
Prince Caspian (originally published as Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia) is a high fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis, published by Geoffrey Bles in 1951. It was the second published of seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia (1950–1956), and Lewis had finished writing it in 1949, before the first book was out. It is volume four in recent editions of the series, sequenced according to Narnia history. Li
Whitney Atkinson
I'm mad at myself because I wanted to read the first of the Narnia series before reading this one for class, but I didn't quite make it.

I loved this story because I love Lucy and Aslan and Caspian, but there were a lot of side characters who I didn't care much about and the villain in this book wasn't so interesting. Nevertheless, a muuuuch easier read than Lord of the Rings!!
Adrian
Now unlike The Horse and His Boy I remembered this novel in the Narnia chronicles. That said it was still enjoyable and a wild ride from railway station to Cair Paravel to King Miraz’s castle to the Fords of Beruna to Aslan’s Howe to a railway station. Along the way we meet some new characters in the form of questionable dwarves (rightly so in my opinion), loyal badgers, chattering squirrels and courtly mice, oh and dozy giants.
An enjoyable novel that gives yet more insight into the Narnian world
Sophia Triad
One year has passed since Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy went to Narnia through an old Wardrobe and met the bad white witch and the righteous lion. Now they are sitting on a seat at a railway station with trunks and playboxes piled up round them on their way to school.

But Narnia needs them back.
More precisely PRINCE CASPIAN, the true king of Narnia needs them back.

And the children are ready for a new adventure in the land that thousand - years ago they used to be Kings and Queens themselves.
Dannii Elle
This is my fourth journey into the fantastical lands of Narnia, as I have chosen to read the series in chronological rather than publication order.

From the very first line I knew I was sure to love this book as it details the return of the Pevensie children from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the most famous and my most beloved Narnia tale. Only one year later in the human world, and centuries later in Narnian time, the children return to find their beloved castle an ivy-clad ruin and
Elaina
Ahhh!! I just love these books so much!! ^_^ They make you feel like you are watching a movie in your head while you are reading every word! (If that makes any sense lol) I love the little bits of humor that C.S. Lewis through in every once and a while like this quote,

“That's the worst of girls," said Edmund to Peter and the Dwarf. "They never can carry a map in their heads."
"That's because our heads have something inside them," said Lucy.”

I don't know why I love that quote so much, but I do :p I definitely recom
Amanda
November 19, 2008. I've read these books a zillion and one times and surely I shall read them a zillion more. Because every single time, I realize new truths and find more honor in their pages.

Today, I've read a passage that I find disturbing and quite out of character for CS Lewis:

p.72 "Shall we go farther up for you, up to the crags? There's an Ogre or two and a Hag that we could introduce you to, up there." "Certainly not," said Caspian. "I should think not, indeed," said Trufflehunter. "We wanp.72
Merphy Napier
A really strong start but it sort of dropped of half way through and felt like it was dragging (despite being only 200 pages). I'm really excited to read the next one though. I want to get back to Narnia!
Piyangie
This book in the chronicles takes us back to a "new" Narnia where the tyrant Miraz is reining. The old Narnia is disappeared and with it the talking beasts, dwarfs, centaurs, dryads and naiads. It is the time for a new and true king for Narnia. To secure this end, the Pevensie children return to Narnia. And with the power, aid and guidance of Alsan, Narnia is rescued from the clutches of Miraz and handed back to the true owners and the true king - Caspian.

This is the most beautifully written bo
Calista
I read this several times as a kid. It was never high up in the series for me. I have to admit that the movie Disney made did such a great job with it that I now appreciate this book more. I didn't much care for Prince Caspian until I saw the movie (Yes, maybe it had something to do with the actor). Still, this is part of a great series and I'm glad another generation has the chance to enjoy them.

Men from Earth have oppressed Narnia. Of course they have. The children are called back
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
When you re-read a book you didn't like in your childhood, and realize your past self was a dumbass.
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
I think I may like this story even better than The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Is that heresy to say? Nothing can replace that first step through the wardrobe into Narnia...but in terms of plot, I think I like Prince Caspian better.
Shannon (leaninglights)
What can you say. Another fantastic adventure in Narnia! And of course,
I cried at the end.
Bookwraiths
Reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Prince Caspian is the second book in The Chronicles of Narnia.

C.S. Lewis begins this tale by revisiting the Pevensie children, who have survived WW II and are at a train station waiting to head off to boarding school. While discussing their concerns about being separated, they are suddenly pulled into another world, which they do not immediately recognize as Narnia. Indeed, the land has changed to such an extent that it is only after finding several relics from the past that they eve/>Prince
MissBecka
This. This right here is what I was hoping for in this series.
Adventure, intrigue and weirdness!
Nenia ⚜️ Author of Filthy Trash and Unhinged Psychos ⚜️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I recently decided to reread the Narnia series, only I decided to go about it in chronological order instead of publication order. What does this change? It means you read THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW first, instead of THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE, that there's a book about totally random characters sandwiched in between TLTW (THE HORSE AND HIS BOY) before the series settles back into the usual order.

I never really liked PRINCE CA
Erin
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
Book #4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian reunites readers with Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy who find themselves traveling back to Narnia. But this Narnia is different from the one which they left. In fact, many years have passed and their time in Narnia has become something of a legend that no one quite believes to be true. That also includes the great lion known as Aslan. The quartet soon become entwined with the fate of a young man known as Prince Caspian. Caspian is fleeing from ...more
Deborah Markus
It's been years since I allowed myself the pleasure of rereading the Narnia books. And now I have two pleasures in reading these books: enjoying my old childhood joy, and analyzing the writing itself.

One thing I remember noticing even as a child is the absolute dearth of femaleness. I don't mean female characters per se: in terms of having someone to care about and directly identify with, there's always a female child as well as a male one. (Everyone loves Lucy.) I mean that Lewis se
Ashley Daviau
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m really glad I’m reading these in publication order and not chronological order this time. I’m finding it’s making a difference in the way the series flows and I’m enjoying it more this way so far. But no matter what order I read these books in, I love them just the same! This book introduces one of my favourite characters of the series Reepicheep, I just love how brave he is despite his size!
Jenny Baker
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
It's been a while since I've picked up a Narnia book and I forgot how much I love them. I started reading them in chronological order, but then realized it was a mistake, so now I'm reading them in publication order. I love Peter, Edmund, Susan and Lucy, and I'd follow them anywhere. The characters are so life-like! This series is just an enjoyable adventure all around.
Abbie
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, fantasy
lol this is nothing like the movie but it is soooo gooooood :')

especially the part where they follow Aslan down the gorge!! MY HEART!
midnightfaerie
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Note: Just finished reading this one with my 5 yr old, and we loved it! I'm enjoying it much better this time around. Maybe because I didn't understand all the implications the first time, or maybe because I'm seeing it through the eyes of my child. Either way, I love C.S. Lewis more each time I read him! And I've decided not to tell my son about the analogy to Christianity. I want him to figure it out for himself. But just the other day he compared God to Aslan and Spiderman all in the same sen ...more
Emma
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember this being my favourite of the Narnia novels as a child but as an adult I'm not quite sure why. This time around it felt like a simplified re-hash of The Lion, The Witch and The Waredrobe.

The newly introduced character, Prince Caspian seemed like a weaker, watered down Peter from the last book. I did however like the cast of animal characters.

Either way this was an easy way to start off 2019!
Juli
Prince Caspian is the only novel in the Chronicles of Narnia series that disappointed me as a child. Now...before Narnia fans bristle and start leaving hate comments....hear me out. After I read this book I was always hopeful on every first day of school that I would magically be whisked away to a magical other land while waiting for the school bus. And, it never happened. Every year, the school bus showed up and I was whisked away to (prison) the new school term. No Aslan. No Reepicheep. No DLF ...more
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This was a re-read and I own a physical copy of the entire series!

Prince Caspian was such a good book to read, being in an adventurous mood at the time, this was one of the best picks to go with. I felt quite fulfilled by the end and happy to return to the lives of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. They arrive back in Narnia one year in their earth lifetime but over a thousand years in Narnia's lifetime. Everything is in ruins when they explore what used to be areas full of life. The ta
Steven Wedgeworth
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some of the best theological nuggets appear in this one. Reepicheep is at his most inspirational as well. And don't miss the fact that it is the bad dwarf who doesn't smoke!

• The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Biographic Dickens: Great Lives in Graphic Form
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
  • The Amber Spyglass
  • The Magician's Nephew (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at

The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronological Order) (7 books)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
"That's because our heads have something inside them," said Lucy.”
1333 likes