Start by marking “Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)

Prince Caspian

(The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  352,742 ratings  ·  7,296 reviews
The four Pevensies help Caspian battle Miraz and ascend his rightful throne

NARNIA... the land between the lamp-post and the castle of Cair Paravel, where animals talk, where magical things happen... and where the adventure begins.

Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy are returning to boarding school when they are summoned from the dreary train station (by Susan's own magic horn)
Published June 20th 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 15th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Prince Caspian, please sign up.
Suhail Khaled The original publication order is:
1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
2. Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951)
3. The Voyage of the…more
The original publication order is:
1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
2. Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951)
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
4. The Silver Chair (1953)
5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)
6. The Magician's Nephew (1955)
7. The Last Battle (1956)(less)
Susan Prudhomme I think you have me beat, Andromeda, although I don't keep count. It was fun re-reading it this time, because I was reminded of all the ways the movie…moreI think you have me beat, Andromeda, although I don't keep count. It was fun re-reading it this time, because I was reminded of all the ways the movie departed from it. Also because it's a better story than I remembered. I usually go for The Horse and His Boy, or The Magician's Nephew.(less)

·  352,742 ratings  ·  7,296 reviews

Start your review of Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
Patrick
I read this aloud to my older boy, age 6.

It's a good book, and he enjoyed it, but didn't ring the bell in the same way Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe did. I think the biggest reason for this, was that it wasn't as accessible to him.

The first issue was the non-linear story. Which has the potential to confuse. Later, Lewis splits the party in a way that divides the action in the story.

But the biggest issue is that the characters lapse into archaic, courtly English when the a bunch of the people are
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
You doubt your value. Don't run from who you are.
The Pevensie siblings (Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy) spent the last year daydreaming about Narnia. Despite the horrors of the White Witch, but they constantly think about returning to Narnia for they are only truly themselves when they are with Aslan.
Feeling like the voice she liked best in all the world was calling her name.
And when they suddenly find themselves thrust back into Narnia, they discover one very, very important thing:
Things
Ahmad Sharabiani
Prince Caspian: the return to Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #2), C.S. Lewis

Prince Caspian (originally published as Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia) is a high fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis, published by Geoffrey Bles in 1951. It was the second published of seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia (19501956), and Lewis had finished writing it in 1949, before the first book was out. It is volume four in recent editions of the series, sequenced according to Narnia history. Like the
P
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, classics
Things never happen the same way twice.

Admittedly Prince Caspian was boring at first for I didn't like the symbolic meaning of the whole book. It was hard to read and that incredible ending nearly shut me out from enjoying, it's abrupt and unsatisfied at all. Although I quie liked the movie, the book is so much different. The pace is excruciatingly slow. I didn't like the over-descriptive narration talking about everything including flowers, sky, and trees.

Wouldn't it be dreadful if some day
Whitney Atkinson
I'm mad at myself because I wanted to read the first of the Narnia series before reading this one for class, but I didn't quite make it.

I loved this story because I love Lucy and Aslan and Caspian, but there were a lot of side characters who I didn't care much about and the villain in this book wasn't so interesting. Nevertheless, a muuuuch easier read than Lord of the Rings!!
Adrian
Now unlike The Horse and His Boy I remembered this novel in the Narnia chronicles. That said it was still enjoyable and a wild ride from railway station to Cair Paravel to King Mirazs castle to the Fords of Beruna to Aslans Howe to a railway station. Along the way we meet some new characters in the form of questionable dwarves (rightly so in my opinion), loyal badgers, chattering squirrels and courtly mice, oh and dozy giants.
An enjoyable novel that gives yet more insight into the Narnian world
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book was an excellent read! I just loved how the story pulled me in. It helped that the characters were well liked and their adventures were exciting. I like Prince Caspian and his curiosities. The stories about the animals were fantastic. It boggled my mind that the time difference between Narnia and real life was so vast! It's also interesting that different people came and took over in the centuries that passed.

The story continued where The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe left off.
Matthew
Evening reading time with the kids continued with Prince Caspian. Last year we read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and then we watched both the old cartoon and the recent live action version. The kids frequently asked for the next one, so it was time. Now, I know there is some debate as to the order of the books in The Chronicles of Narnia, but we choose to go with these two first as it seemed like the most cohesive storyline to keep the kids attention.

We all enjoyed family time together
Sophia Triad
One year has passed since Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy went to Narnia through an old Wardrobe and met the bad white witch and the righteous lion. Now they are sitting on a seat at a railway station with trunks and playboxes piled up round them on their way to school.

But Narnia needs them back.
More precisely PRINCE CASPIAN, the true king of Narnia needs them back.

And the children are ready for a new adventure in the land that thousand - years ago they used to be Kings and Queens themselves.
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
Lucy buried her head in his mane to hide from his face. But there must have been some magic in his mane. She could feel lion-strength going into her. Quite suddenly she sat up. "I'm sorry, Aslan," she said. "I'm ready now."
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed.

*note: a review of this whole series is up on my channel!

It's not easy to review a book so treasured by many readers who have it as a childhood memory, when you
Elaina
Ahhh!! I just love these books so much!! ^_^ They make you feel like you are watching a movie in your head while you are reading every word! (If that makes any sense lol) I love the little bits of humor that C.S. Lewis through in every once and a while like this quote,

That's the worst of girls," said Edmund to Peter and the Dwarf. "They never can carry a map in their heads."
"That's because our heads have something inside them," said Lucy.

I don't know why I love that quote so much, but I do :p
Dannii Elle
This is my fourth journey into the fantastical lands of Narnia, as I have chosen to read the series in chronological rather than publication order.

From the very first line I knew I was sure to love this book as it details the return of the Pevensie children from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the most famous and my most beloved Narnia tale. Only one year later in the human world, and centuries later in Narnian time, the children return to find their beloved castle an ivy-clad ruin and
Michelle
By jove it was so nice to be back in Narnia after the Horse and his Boy almost bored me to tears im happy that book 4 got back on track.

Narnia is such a special place, I know people talk about the religious overtones in this series but I'm not seeing them. I see giants, talking lions and how humans whether we mean to or not we ruin every single world we have access too.

Solid 3 stars.
Merphy Napier
A really strong start but it sort of dropped of half way through and felt like it was dragging (despite being only 200 pages). I'm really excited to read the next one though. I want to get back to Narnia!
Amanda
November 19, 2008. I've read these books a zillion and one times and surely I shall read them a zillion more. Because every single time, I realize new truths and find more honor in their pages.

Today, I've read a passage that I find disturbing and quite out of character for CS Lewis:

p.72 "Shall we go farther up for you, up to the crags? There's an Ogre or two and a Hag that we could introduce you to, up there." "Certainly not," said Caspian. "I should think not, indeed," said Trufflehunter. "We
Shruti
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-series
The second book in The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian does not disappoint. The story has a slow start and isn't as gripping as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but I was just glad to read a new Pevensie siblings adventure.

A number of new characters were introduced, each having incredibly peculiar names that I loved but find hard to recollect now. Half the story focussed on Prince Caspian and how Narnia transformed from being a land of free, talking, magical creatures to a land of
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Prince Caspian is kinda a hottie. Okay, onto the actual review -

This one was definitely NOT my favorite. It honestly sucks. It's exactly the worst type of fantasy. War fantasy. I couldn't care less about people fighting and stabbing other people. Sigh.

I did enjoy the Pevensies coming back to Narnia though. That was such a fun bunch of chapters. Seeing them whisked into Narnia and re-exploring everything.

I'm not quite sure what the biblical parallel is. I think it might be Gideon fighting the
Piyangie
This book in the chronicles takes us back to a "new" Narnia where the tyrant Miraz is reining. The old Narnia is disappeared and with it the talking beasts, dwarfs, centaurs, dryads and naiads. It is the time for a new and true king for Narnia. To secure this end, the Pevensie children return to Narnia. And with the power, aid and guidance of Alsan, Narnia is rescued from the clutches of Miraz and handed back to the true owners and the true king - Caspian.

This is the most beautifully written
Calista
I read this several times as a kid. It was never high up in the series for me. I have to admit that the movie Disney made did such a great job with it that I now appreciate this book more. I didn't much care for Prince Caspian until I saw the movie (Yes, maybe it had something to do with the actor). Still, this is part of a great series and I'm glad another generation has the chance to enjoy them.

Men from Earth have oppressed Narnia. Of course they have. The children are called back to help put
Ayesha (The Fifth Marauder)
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
When you re-read a book you didn't like in your childhood, and realize your past self was a dumbass.
Shannon (kitchandpages)
What can you say. Another fantastic adventure in Narnia! And of course,
I cried at the end.
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
I think I may like this story even better than The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Is that heresy to say? Nothing can replace that first step through the wardrobe into Narnia...but in terms of plot, I think I like Prince Caspian better.
MissBecka Gee
This. This right here is what I was hoping for in this series.
Adventure, intrigue and weirdness!
Bookwraiths
Reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Prince Caspian is the second book in The Chronicles of Narnia.

C.S. Lewis begins this tale by revisiting the Pevensie children, who have survived WW II and are at a train station waiting to head off to boarding school. While discussing their concerns about being separated, they are suddenly pulled into another world, which they do not immediately recognize as Narnia. Indeed, the land has changed to such an extent that it is only after finding several relics from
Erin
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
Book #4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian reunites readers with Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy who find themselves traveling back to Narnia. But this Narnia is different from the one which they left. In fact, many years have passed and their time in Narnia has become something of a legend that no one quite believes to be true. That also includes the great lion known as Aslan. The quartet soon become entwined with the fate of a young man known as Prince Caspian. Caspian is fleeing from ...more
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I recently decided to reread the Narnia series, only I decided to go about it in chronological order instead of publication order. What does this change? It means you read THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW first, instead of THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE, that there's a book about totally random characters sandwiched in between TLTW (THE HORSE AND HIS BOY) before the series settles back into the usual order.

I never really liked PRINCE CASPIAN
Brian Eshleman
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If, to my fault, I am not generally five-star moved by novels, the scene at the end with the mice is worth the fifth star by itself. Go ahead. Read it. I'll wait. You don't really need to have read the whole book, and alluding to it doesn't spoil the plot.
RJ from the LBC
In the second published volume of the classic and influential children's high fantasy series The Chronicles of Narnia, the Pevensie children return to Narnia only to find that hundreds of years have passed in Narnia during only one year on Earth, and during that time England Narnia had been invaded by the Normans Telmarines. The story is less fluid and satisfying than The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, with a large chunk devoted to catching the Pevensies (and the reader) up on what's been ...more
tappkalina
Dec 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
I keep thinking of how bad it was, so I have to change my 2 stars to 1.
Also, whoever did the film, they are a genius, because nothing is really hapening in this book.
------------------------------------------------
I love the film with my whole heart, but guys, this book was painfully boring. If I didn't have emotional bond with the story, I would give this 1 star. The only way I could get through it was listening it in 1.75 speed.

• The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Last Battle (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • The Silver Chair (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Graphic Novel
  • Las Crónicas de Etsu Euria: Odisea al son del laúd
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)