Start by marking “Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University” as Want to Read:

Dave Ramsey’s Complete Guide to Money covers the A to Z of Dave’s money teaching, including how to budget, save, dump debt, and invest. If you’re looking for practical information to answer all your “How?” “What?” and “Why?” questions about money, this book is for you. You’ll also learn all about insurance, mortgage options, marketing, bargain hunting and the most importan ...more
Published March 3rd 2015 by Ramsey Press (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money

Start your review of Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University
Matthew
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People looking to get their finances in order and to no longer be stressed by money
Recommended to Matthew by: Julia Mclean
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction, own
I am guessing that a lot of people have heard of Dave Ramsey and his Financial Peace University. If you have not, the basic idea is that he provides you with a series of tips, tools, suggestions, etc. to help you get out of debt and start saving so that your life is not driven by the stresses of money. The course itself is 9 weeks, but this book gives a basic outline of how it is all done – and I am not sure how easy it is to get this book if you don’t sign up for the course??

A few years ago, my
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Dave Ramsey is a very polarizing figure in the financial advice community. Not everyone agrees with his platforms and stances on certain subject, e.g., the use of credit cards; but, I personally find his plan to be very helpful in that it focuses on behavior and not just math.

That said, my husband and I consider ourselves to be Dave-ish in that we don't follow his plan to the T by any means - regardless, I do enjoy his books and podcasts as I find they keep me motivated and remind me of what I
M.E. Kinkade
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
If you're unsure about how to manage money, or have already made some big mistakes and are trying to recover, or just want to brush up on some obscure things, this book will likely help you out.

HOWEVER...it has its flaws, despite the enthusiastic baying of many of Ramsey's constituents.

I received this book as a very well-intentioned gift to help my new husband and I get our marriage started on the right foot. I'm already persnickety about how I manage my money, so I may not be the ideal audien
Margo Mandrillo
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars... begrudgingly. Everything he said to do (so far) has worked. Paid off our debt, except the car in 2 and a half months. Learned how to easily feed my family on $100 a week. Sometimes less. Felt like we got a raise, even though we didn't. Blah, blah, blah. It is that stupid power of "no" thing. Yes, saying no to a lot has paid of our debt quickly. And continuing to say no will get our car paid off fast. Like the big fat "no" to our Grand Canyon road trip this summer. And all the big fat ...more
Lindsey Riley
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hate money. Well, no, that's not true. I love to SPEND money; I just hate MANAGING money.

No one told me that being a responsible grown up would be so boring and difficult and unpleasant, and the most obnoxious and stressful adult task, I've found, is setting up and sticking to a budget.

Ugh. Budget. It's anything BUT a sexy topic. Nevertheless, it's an important subject to research, and implementing some sort of financial plan is vital in order to be dependable and successful.

One way I have ta
John Brown
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you’re like 70% of America, you are living paycheck to paycheck, which means that if you or your spouse (assuming you have one) were laid off, you would probably have difficulties meeting your mortgage the next month. If you didn’t go into default on the house, you certainly would on other payments and bills.

You also have very little retirement.

You probably have around $7,000 in credit card debt. Maybe a lot more.

You also have a car payment or two. Or, heaven forbid, a lease.

You might be h
Leah
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is a great way to learn a little about a lot of financial topics, great for beginners or for people with financial issues. It simplifies things into layman terms so that the average Joe would be able to understand.

Notes:
Marriage counselors tell us that couples who can agree on four major issues have a much higher probability of a successful marriage.
Those 4 things are religion (shared household faith), in-laws (boundaries, influence, etc.), parenting, and money.

Diversify a little furth
Chad Warner
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance, non-fiction
Decent personal finance advice. The content is very similar to The Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace. I liked this book more than those; maybe because it's more comprehensive, or maybe because I knew to expect debt-bashing so it didn't bother me as much (though I still disagree with it). The book is irritatingly littered with far too many testimonials, which were especially distracting in the ebook format I read, where it's hard to distinguish them from the main text.

Notes
Introduction
7 Ba
Michelle
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I wish I had read this book two years ago. I would have been much smarter about my spending if that had been the case. But moving forward, I believe the things I have learned from the class and from this book will last me a lifetime. I can still change my future. One of the most impacting statements for me was this - You tell your money where you want it to go. Then it doesn't just disappear and you have little to nothing to show for your hard work. Create a budget and follow it.

Dave Ramsey's Co
Nicholas Maulucci
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, practical
excellent. just financial common sense fleshed out into a book. excited about teaching our children these principles. excited about handling our money correctly. if we cannot take care of the least riches, how do we expect God to trust us with the true riches. revival awaits the stewardship of the least in order to usher in the true riches. recommended for all. a top 10 book out of the last 100 I've read. read it or remain a credit card paying, car payment paying sheep. two thumbs up!
Nick Hepler
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you have read the Total Money Makeover and are looking for the nuts and bolts details of the Baby Steps this book is an excellent choice. This would also be an excellent selection for someone interested in taking the Financial Peace University class, but doesn't have the time or money to take it; or just doesn't like the idea of going to a church to a class. Much of the material in the book is almost verbatim what you will hear in the FPU classes. The dust jacket indicates this is the handboo ...more
Angela9600
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Started this one over 2 years ago and then life got busy. Pushed my way through it lately. A lot of good advice if you can push through and stick with it. I am keeping it in mind but not yet ready to dive into it full force.
Michael Galdamez
I started this book last year when I and my family took Dave Ramsey's Finacial Peace University. It was a very helpful supplement and a great little book overall! I would recommend this and the whole FPU course to anyone, whether or not they think their finances are in order.
Matt Lancaster
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Haylie and I are really working on our finances this year (though if the end times are upon us, that may be a wasted effort). I started listening to this Ramsey stuff that I used to make fun of and it’s actually been helping quite a bit. The information in this book about the 7 “baby steps,” misconceptions about debt and wealth-building, the simple ins and outs of investing and typical budget shortfalls, and the straightforward approach to financial security is invaluable, if delivered with a re ...more
Ntombezinhle Nzama
Informative and inspiring

I'm so glad I read this book. It expands on the concepts and the baby steps outlined in the TMMO book. Gives me hope that I can get out of debt and create wealth by following this plan.
Brooks Lemmon
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hands down incredible book on finances. No matter how educated you think you might be in the area I advise you to read it!
Tamra
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people in FPU
Recommended to Tamra by: Dave Ramsey
This book is a major step up from Financial Peace Revisited. It spells things out without any unneccessary extras. To the point, helpful, and straightforward. All of Dave's books are easy-to-read and light, even though the subject matter is pretty dense and daunting. Dave is funny and enthusiastic and inspiring, and his books are delightful. You walk away thinking, "I can do this!"

If you're wanting to read one of Dave Ramsey's books, I recommend Total Money Makeover. I think it's the best over-a
Kaity Stuckert
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is the beginner's guide for Finance Dummies who are looking to get themselves the heck out of debt. Dave Ramsey's writing is so easy to read- even in subjects of insurance, mortgages and 401(k)'s. I read this book in conjunction with the course, Financial Peace University and am feeling ready to tackle my student loan debt! With Ramsey's arsenal of budget-friendly, money-saving tactics we should be able to be debt-free in just a couple years.
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for getting your finances on track. I read it along with the class lessons we were doing so it explained more of what was going over in class. The questions at the end of each chapter really help me think about what we wanted our plan of action to be.
If you ever get the chance to take the Financial Peace classes, do so, it is life changing.
Nicole Starner
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this book to any person of any age and any income level who wants to take control of their finances and their future. I've made some significant changes to my money after reading this book and feel as though I have gained a wealth of knowledge. Now I must follow through!
Bill Rodriguez
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and I wish I read it earlier.
StarMan
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
REVIEW: Good to very good financial advice for the masses. Half of it is basic stuff your parents or high school should have taught you, but didn't.

VERDICT: 3 stars for me but I'm giving it 4; this book is 4 to 5 stars if you are deeply in debt, or a moron financially naïve person.

AWARD: Most Unnecessary Exclamation Marks On Every Page. I don't think I've ever seen this many ! in a book -- ever.

MILD DOWNERS: (view spoiler)
Sam Gunn
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
So the advice that is related to managing your finances is pretty good, and Dave provides some helpful tips and easy explanations for common money concepts which is also good. However, Dave really hates poor people. He calls them "broke people" and it seems like a lazy shorthand for people who are struggling to make ends meet. Like sure there are people who have unhealthy spending habits who can just fix that and suddenly be making enough money to be doing everything in the book, but there are p ...more
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey and what he teaches, so it's no surprise that I liked this book. It's slightly dated at the time of my reading (published in 2011; I read it in 2019). I think that the plan that Dave lays out in this book for managing personal finances makes complete sense. More importantly, I know - after 18 months of following his plan - that it works. This is definitely worth a read for anyone, but especially those who feel like their money controls them and that they will never b ...more
Lizzy Seitz
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.0 stars out of 5

I was reading this along side with my Financial Peace University class and it's really well done. Not all the chapters apply to me right now but I'll definitely return to them when they do!
Amber
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Found his radio show on a lark and found it fascinating and useful. The book is an extension of his show.
Noseinabook
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My family is terrible with money! I finally feel like I have some answers to money questions I’ve had forever! It’s going to be a long road but one step at a time I think I’ll make it!
Diana De jesus
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! Never one to read about money, but I’ve also never been so excited to manage my money either!! I’ve got a plan now and can’t wait to see what I can do!
Nina !!
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Too much self-promotion and overly Christian content for me, but otherwise good content. Not much to help students like myself without a full-time job’s income, however. 3 ⭐️
Thomas A
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great sound pricaples

• Retire Inspired: It's Not an Age, It's a Financial Number
  • Love Your Life, Not Theirs: 7 Money Habits for Living the Life You Want
  • Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can Too
  • Gazelles, Baby Steps & 37 Other Things: Dave Ramsey Taught Me about Debt
  • Debt-Free Degree: The Step-by-Step Guide to Getting Your Kid Through College Without Student Loans
  • The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • The Overcoming Life
  • Business Boutique: A Woman's Guide for Making Money Doing What She Loves
  • The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn’t Have to Be Complicated
  • Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping by and Get Your Financial Life Together
  • Happy Go Money: Spend Smart, Save Right and Enjoy Life
  • I Will Teach You to Be Rich: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works
  • The Dead Are Arising: The Life of Malcolm X
  • Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need
  • One Question: Answers from America's Leading Voices for Every Stage of Life
Dave Ramsey, the nationally-syndicated radio host of "The Money Game" and bestselling author, has helped thousands through Financial Peace University-a 12-week financial planning program. He presents seminars in churches and corporations throughout the country. He holds a degree in finance and real estate and lives with his family in Nashville Tennessee.

News & Interviews

“The accountability of a group environment causes people to change their behaviors.” 0 likes
“If you invest $464 in a good mutual fund every month from age thirty to age seventy, you’ll end up with more than $5 million.” 0 likes