Start by marking “Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University” as Want to Read:

Dave Ramsey’s Complete Guide to Money covers the A to Z of Dave’s money teaching, including how to budget, save, dump debt, and invest. If you’re looking for practical information to answer all your “How?” “What?” and “Why?” questions about money, this book is for you. You’ll also learn all about insurance, mortgage options, marketing, bargain hunting and the most ...more
Published March 3rd 2015 by Ramsey Press (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money

Start your review of Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University
Matthew
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People looking to get their finances in order and to no longer be stressed by money
Recommended to Matthew by: Julia Mclean
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018, own
I am guessing that a lot of people have heard of Dave Ramsey and his Financial Peace University. If you have not, the basic idea is that he provides you with a series of tips, tools, suggestions, etc. to help you get out of debt and start saving so that your life is not driven by the stresses of money. The course itself is 9 weeks, but this book gives a basic outline of how it is all done – and I am not sure how easy it is to get this book if you don’t sign up for the course??

A few years ago, my
M.E. Kinkade
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
If you're unsure about how to manage money, or have already made some big mistakes and are trying to recover, or just want to brush up on some obscure things, this book will likely help you out.

HOWEVER...it has its flaws, despite the enthusiastic baying of many of Ramsey's constituents.

I received this book as a very well-intentioned gift to help my new husband and I get our marriage started on the right foot. I'm already persnickety about how I manage my money, so I may not be the ideal
Margo Mandrillo
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars... begrudgingly. Everything he said to do (so far) has worked. Paid off our debt, except the car in 2 and a half months. Learned how to easily feed my family on $100 a week. Sometimes less. Felt like we got a raise, even though we didn't. Blah, blah, blah. It is that stupid power of "no" thing. Yes, saying no to a lot has paid of our debt quickly. And continuing to say no will get our car paid off fast. Like the big fat "no" to our Grand Canyon road trip this summer. And all the big fat ...more
Lindsey Riley
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hate money. Well, no, that's not true. I love to SPEND money; I just hate MANAGING money.

No one told me that being a responsible grown up would be so boring and difficult and unpleasant, and the most obnoxious and stressful adult task, I've found, is setting up and sticking to a budget.

Ugh. Budget. It's anything BUT a sexy topic. Nevertheless, it's an important subject to research, and implementing some sort of financial plan is vital in order to be dependable and successful.

One way I have
John Brown
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you’re like 70% of America, you are living paycheck to paycheck, which means that if you or your spouse (assuming you have one) were laid off, you would probably have difficulties meeting your mortgage the next month. If you didn’t go into default on the house, you certainly would on other payments and bills.

You also have very little retirement.

You probably have around $7,000 in credit card debt. Maybe a lot more.

You also have a car payment or two. Or, heaven forbid, a lease.

You might be
Michelle
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I wish I had read this book two years ago. I would have been much smarter about my spending if that had been the case. But moving forward, I believe the things I have learned from the class and from this book will last me a lifetime. I can still change my future. One of the most impacting statements for me was this - You tell your money where you want it to go. Then it doesn't just disappear and you have little to nothing to show for your hard work. Create a budget and follow it.

Dave Ramsey's
Nicholas Maulucci
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
excellent. just financial common sense fleshed out into a book. excited about teaching our children these principles. excited about handling our money correctly. if we cannot take care of the least riches, how do we expect God to trust us with the true riches. revival awaits the stewardship of the least in order to usher in the true riches. recommended for all. a top 10 book out of the last 100 I've read. read it or remain a credit card paying, car payment paying sheep. two thumbs up!
Chad Warner
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance, non-fiction
Decent personal finance advice. The content is very similar to The Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace. I liked this book more than those; maybe because it's more comprehensive, or maybe because I knew to expect debt-bashing so it didn't bother me as much (though I still disagree with it). The book is irritatingly littered with far too many testimonials, which were especially distracting in the ebook format I read, where it's hard to distinguish them from the main text.

Notes
Introduction
Nick Hepler
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you have read the Total Money Makeover and are looking for the nuts and bolts details of the Baby Steps this book is an excellent choice. This would also be an excellent selection for someone interested in taking the Financial Peace University class, but doesn't have the time or money to take it; or just doesn't like the idea of going to a church to a class. Much of the material in the book is almost verbatim what you will hear in the FPU classes. The dust jacket indicates this is the ...more
Angela9600
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Started this one over 2 years ago and then life got busy. Pushed my way through it lately. A lot of good advice if you can push through and stick with it. I am keeping it in mind but not yet ready to dive into it full force.
Michael Galdamez
I started this book last year when I and my family took Dave Ramsey's Finacial Peace University. It was a very helpful supplement and a great little book overall! I would recommend this and the whole FPU course to anyone, whether or not they think their finances are in order.
Tamra
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people in FPU
Recommended to Tamra by: Dave Ramsey
This book is a major step up from Financial Peace Revisited. It spells things out without any unneccessary extras. To the point, helpful, and straightforward. All of Dave's books are easy-to-read and light, even though the subject matter is pretty dense and daunting. Dave is funny and enthusiastic and inspiring, and his books are delightful. You walk away thinking, "I can do this!"

If you're wanting to read one of Dave Ramsey's books, I recommend Total Money Makeover. I think it's the best
Kaity Stuckert
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is the beginner's guide for Finance Dummies who are looking to get themselves the heck out of debt. Dave Ramsey's writing is so easy to read- even in subjects of insurance, mortgages and 401(k)'s. I read this book in conjunction with the course, Financial Peace University and am feeling ready to tackle my student loan debt! With Ramsey's arsenal of budget-friendly, money-saving tactics we should be able to be debt-free in just a couple years.
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for getting your finances on track. I read it along with the class lessons we were doing so it explained more of what was going over in class. The questions at the end of each chapter really help me think about what we wanted our plan of action to be.
If you ever get the chance to take the Financial Peace classes, do so, it is life changing.
Nicole Starner
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this book to any person of any age and any income level who wants to take control of their finances and their future. I've made some significant changes to my money after reading this book and feel as though I have gained a wealth of knowledge. Now I must follow through!
Bill Rodriguez
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and I wish I read it earlier.
Lizzy Seitz
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.0 stars out of 5

I was reading this along side with my Financial Peace University class and it's really well done. Not all the chapters apply to me right now but I'll definitely return to them when they do!
Amber
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Found his radio show on a lark and found it fascinating and useful. The book is an extension of his show.
Diana De jesus
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! Never one to read about money, but I’ve also never been so excited to manage my money either!! I’ve got a plan now and can’t wait to see what I can do!
Noseinabook
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My family is terrible with money! I finally feel like I have some answers to money questions I’ve had forever! It’s going to be a long road but one step at a time I think I’ll make it!
Thomas A
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great sound pricaples
Jeremy
This kind of thing can completely transform someone's life/family. I'm glad we went through Financial Peace University at our church. At the very least, I've become more informed/intentional regarding our finances. This book is not an exact transcript of the video lessons—there's stuff in the chapters that's not in the videos, and vice versa—but it's close.

4.5 stars because I'm not always convinced that Dave's connections to Scripture are accurate. (He doesn't care what I think, though.) For
Stacy
I took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class as I was reading this book. We've paid off some debt, and I've gotten hooked on his podcasts. I highly recommend his program.
Ethan Smith
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall good advice for getting out of debt and running a financially stable household (if you have a steady income). Just be sure to read into the topics outside of what Dave has to say, especially investments. Some of his remarks can be crass and not tell the whole story about some aspects.

For example, he states confidently in the book that you have the same financial protections using a debit card as you do a credit card, which is simply not true. http://clarkdeals.com/commoncents/deb...

James
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
It has been over a month since we've started using Ramsey's baby steps, and I can tell you that no book (other than the Bible) has so greatly affected my behaviors and thoughts about money.

As Ramsey says several different ways himself: this information is not new, I (Ramsey) just packaged it well—it's the same God-given wisdom your grandparents gave to you... had you been paying attention!

I bookmarked several sections in this book that I will come back to when it is time. Since the wife and I
Doug
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
In summary, [Financial Peace University] and “Dave Ramsey’s Complete Guide to Money” will be particularly helpful for those who have a decent income but aren’t wise in how they spend-if they follow Ramsey’s instructions. I would particularly recommend it for these people. Others will find useful information and tips. For those who have a decent income but already handle their money fairly wisely, I would probably recommend simply reading the book; the full course may be overkill. Those who have ...more
Wanda
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think this book creates a great guide to getting out of debt. I am currently working the steps and doing quite well, I think. Also, Dave Ramsey infuses scripture throughout the book. As a Christian, i think this is important. You are being a good steward and following "guidelines" from the Bible. There is information about investments and retirement, home buying and selling, dealing with debt collectors, etc. A great handbook if you are looking for some general information about these and a ...more
Aida
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's an excellent book! I would give it 100 stars if I could. It completely changed the way my husband and I manage our finances. It's true what Dave Ramsey says, it's 20% head knowledge and 80% behavior. Loved the book!! Our lives will never be the same. Now we know how to budget and how to give each dollar an assignment. Not only that, but Dave Ramsey cautions us on what tricks and schemes we should be aware of to avoid at all costs. The importance of insurance and investing is also discussed. ...more
Elizabeth Meadows
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the book we received with the Financial Peace University home study course. It was very easy to read and contained a lot of helpful information. I have heard most of this before from years of listening to Dave's radio show and reading his other books, but it is always motivating to have periodic reminders to keep you on track financially. I highly recommend this book and Financial Peace University. We have been following this plan for several years and are completely out of debt house ...more
Dave Dalbey
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I recommend this to everybody not because it's a page turner, but because there's applicable information for anyone on how to handle money. Good book and very helpful information. I'm not very big on how to books, but Dave Ramsey's book and class helped change our view on debt and how to aggressively pay it down. Beyond how we handle our daily finances there is good instruction on personal insurance, wise investing, home buying, etc. most of this isn't rocket science it's just plain talk that ...more

• Retire Inspired: It's Not an Age, It's a Financial Number
  • Love Your Life, Not Theirs: 7 Money Habits for Living the Life You Want
  • Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can Too
  • The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
  • Rhinoceros Success: The Secret to Charging Full Speed Toward Every Opportunity
  • Debt-Free Degree: The Step-by-Step Guide to Getting Your Kid Through College Without Student Loans
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • Business Boutique: A Woman's Guide for Making Money Doing What She Loves
  • 48 Days to the Work You Love
  • Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping by and Get Your Financial Life Together
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
  • Stop Acting Rich: ...and Start Living Like a Real Millionaire
  • The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn’t Have to Be Complicated
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • I Will Teach You to Be Rich: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works
Dave Ramsey, the nationally-syndicated radio host of "The Money Game" and bestselling author, has helped thousands through Financial Peace University-a 12-week financial planning program. He presents seminars in churches and corporations throughout the country. He holds a degree in finance and real estate and lives with his family in Nashville Tennessee.
“The accountability of a group environment causes people to change their behaviors.” 0 likes
“If you invest $464 in a good mutual fund every month from age thirty to age seventy, you’ll end up with more than $5 million.” 0 likes